Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

sexy tiger boobs posted:

No, you really don't know anything yet and neither do they. Don't get your panties in a ruffle.

I think the president of Moderna's fear is more compelling vs unnamed contrarians with less data than the president of Moderna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fallom posted:

Does anybody really use these besides anti-vaxxers and the rich? I think I saw one post from a goon saying they got them at their ER.

One of my friends got COVID recently and was given monoclonal antibodies. They are vaccinated and definitely not rich. They did have a pre-existing condition which apparently was what prompted the prescription.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sexy tiger boobs posted:

No, you really don't know anything yet and neither do they. Don't get your panties in a ruffle.

Hmm you’re right.

It probably doesn’t have any fitness advantage and it’s just flopping full houses all day with the founder effect.

I’m sure that all those researchers who modelled spike/antibody interactions are complete loving morons. Have they checked the horoscope? Maybe Uranus is in retrograde.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

no lube so what posted:

I think the president of Moderna's fear is more compelling vs unnamed contrarians with less data than the president of Moderna.

The "contrarian", who is in fact named, is Susan Weiss of UPenn, who's one of the most well-established coronavirus researchers on earth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She is technically correct, in the same way that it is too soon to know if I’ve won the lottery—the drawing isn’t till tomorrow.

Likewise, there is NO evidence that it will cause worse disease, and there won’t be till it has been the putting people in the hospital for a couple of months, same as Delta and Alpha before it.

She’s not making thoughtful statements, informed by any great knowledge or experience. She’s stating vacuous truths.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 28, 2021

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
It really just feels like western society is somehow unable to take anything seriously in a sense, really don't like this

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

The "contrarian", who is in fact named, is Susan Weiss of UPenn, who's one of the most well-established coronavirus researchers on earth.

check that, Susan says "gotta wait and see" on an aerosol that spreads pre symptomatic, has a long incubation time, and has every indicator of concern plus more.

Susan sounds dumb, don't care about her title or credentials.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Article is paywalled. I would be very curious if there are further details on what steps, exactly, the president of Moderna says they're taking. "We are vocally concerned, as a leading vaccine manufacturer who wants to stay leading and selling, and will be doing the preliminary steps of vaccine candidate design so we're ready to hit the ground running in case things go awry" is a very different thing from "we are vocally concerned, as a leading vaccine manufacturer who wants to stay leading and selling, and are immediately retooling a chunk of our production line without waiting for further developments".

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
It's not wrong to say we don't have all the evidence yet. However, the last 2 years have been a great reminder of the precautionary principle. There's little downside to being extra cautious until we do know more. I guess the hard part is agreeing on what qualifies as sufficient precautions. I don't think we're anywhere close to having overshot with Omicron, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Article is paywalled. I would be very curious if there are further details on what steps, exactly, the president of Moderna says they're taking. "We are vocally concerned, as a leading vaccine manufacturer who wants to stay leading and selling, and will be doing the preliminary steps of vaccine candidate design so we're ready to hit the ground running in case things go awry" is a very different thing from "we are vocally concerned, as a leading vaccine manufacturer who wants to stay leading and selling, and are immediately retooling a chunk of our production line without waiting for further developments".

Is it rude to just link an archive version that bypasses the paywall, before anyone even asks?

I suppose not when the paper is owned by the world’s penultimate wealthy man.

They announced the steps they were taking Friday, and in short they are seeing if hundred‐microgram boosters (same as the primary series, versus the fifty granted EUA in October) do any better, seeing if Beta‐targeted boosters do any better (long under trial; Beta is the “old” South African variant with limited antibody evasion), and targeting a shot directly at Omicron.

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-strategy-address-omicron-b11529-sars-cov-2

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 28, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There’s plenty of risk to being overly cautious. For example if you tell me or my children to put on a mask I will stab you to death.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't think they can really take action until the real data comes in. It sounds like that won't be for another week or so.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Smeef posted:

It's not wrong to say we don't have all the evidence yet. However, the last 2 years have been a great reminder of the precautionary principle. There's little downside to being extra cautious until we do know more. I guess the hard part is agreeing on what qualifies as sufficient precautions. I don't think we're anywhere close to having overshot with Omicron, though.

As far as national policy (and vaccine manufacturers wanting to minimize rollout time), I'm entirely in favor of the proactive approach. As far as my personal mental health, I'm not going to freak out about Omicron until and unless we get more actual data.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon, thanks. Seems from that release like for the moment they're treating it more or less like the early days of Delta (and Beta), plus some extra cross-vaccine trials, which seems entirely prudent.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I wonder who's going to be first to get the improved boosters.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I wonder who's going to be first to get the improved boosters.

The regular booster kicked my rear end just fine today, but if Omicron is showing vaccine evasion I won't hesitate to do it again for the remix.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

One question that popped into my head while reading that article is, if the 100ug (or whatever) shots do in fact perform way better in useful ways against an actual problematic omicron than the 50, do those of us who got the half dose booster - everyone except the immunocompromised - go and get... a second half dose booster? Would it even work that way?

ideally i won't have to find out

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Oh no I meant which country.

Australia's just reported a couple of cases.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Platystemon posted:

She is technically correct, in the same way that it is too soon to know if I’ve won the lottery—the drawing isn’t till tomorrow.

Likewise, there is NO evidence that it will cause worse disease, and there won’t be till it has been the putting people in the hospital for a couple of months, same as Delta and Alpha before it.

She’s not making thoughtful statements, informed by any great knowledge or experience. She’s stating vacuous truths.

You said she was wrong.

Platystemon posted:

I wish these contrarians were right, but I know that they are not.

There is no evidence that the strain will cause worse disease, that's really loving important and already in contradiction to the doom being spread about the strain.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

You said she was wrong.

There is no evidence that the strain will cause worse disease, that's really loving important and already in contradiction to the doom being spread about the strain.

you're dumb

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who even said it would cause worse disease? Who was she responding to?

It’s a loaded statement and she knows it. It implies that maybe there’s a silver lining here. The disease may not be any worse. Hell, it may be milder, as certain South Africans have been sorely and widely misquoted as saying.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As far as national policy (and vaccine manufacturers wanting to minimize rollout time), I'm entirely in favor of the proactive approach. As far as my personal mental health, I'm not going to freak out about Omicron until and unless we get more actual data.

I don’t disagree with you, but when I say precaution, it doesn’t mean freaking out to the point of causing yourself mental health issues.

Generally I’m thinking of policy when I’m posting here. There are also non-over-the-top, non-panic precautionary things individuals can do, though.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, there is no such thing as "national policy" when it comes to the US. It's essentially every state doing their own thing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Even if there was a national policy there's no way you'd be able to force the chud states to enforce it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Platystemon posted:

Who even said it would cause worse disease? Who was she responding to?

It’s a loaded statement and she knows it. It implies that maybe there’s a silver lining here. The disease may not be any worse. Hell, it may be milder, as certain South Africans have been sorely and widely misquoted as saying.

As you are aware, there are plenty of users and sources in this thread eliding the lack of information to draw the worst possible conclusion- you know, as you did when you said she was wrong the first time you quoted her.

She is most likely responding to a list of questions from the author, which is the normal way they'd get a response. You are making up a context in order to be able to attack a source, which you've labeled "contrarian" and called both wrong, trivial, and technically correct depending on how it suits your immediate rhetoric.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Lets say that it turns out Omicron is far more transmissable than Delta, but the symptoms are far less worse.

Could this be a good thing? Omicron takes over as the dominant strain but people just get sick like a common cold, not COVID sick.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Windmill Hut posted:

Lets say that it turns out Omicron is far more transmissable than Delta, but the symptoms are far less worse.

Could this be a good thing? Omicron takes over as the dominant strain but people just get sick like a common cold, not COVID sick.

That is one possibility, yes, and it would probably be a good thing.

We have no idea though. And we should not assume that will be the case in favor of taking it very seriously until we have good data on transmissibility, severity of disease, vaccine effectiveness etc

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Higher transmissibility would be bad even if it's slightly less deadly.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

Potentially. It would depend on whether the mild omicron covid leads to long covid at lower rates than previous variants though.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Higher transmissibility would be bad even if it's slightly less deadly.

It's all sort of theorycrafting. We should know more in a few weeks, wild speculation now is not very productive.

Right now, higher transmissibility and lower severity would probably be better since that means Omicron can outcompete Delta while causing less severe disease. But we just don't know and won't for a little while. In the meantime, best to prepare for the worst.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah I mean it obviously depends on how bad, but I fear a big jump in cases will outweigh the decreased chances of being put in the hospital/morgue, especially if people know it's "less dangerous".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discendo Vox posted:

As you are aware, there are plenty of users and sources in this thread eliding the lack of information to draw the worst possible conclusion- you know, as you did when you said she was wrong the first time you quoted her.

Many scientists have made educated guesses about what the structural changes mean for antibody binding.

That is information.

Weiss is all air.

Discendo Vox posted:

She is most likely responding to a list of questions from the author, which is the normal way they'd get a response. You are making up a context in order to be able to attack a source, which you've labeled "contrarian" and called both wrong, trivial, and technically correct depending on how it suits your immediate rhetoric.

This isn’t her first time answering questions from a reporter. She knows that if she plays the devil’s advocate here, they will print her quote and put her name in the paper. If she words it carefully, she won’t say anything she could ever possibly regret. She burnishes her reputation without risking it.

If you wish to play this sophomoric game of techicalities, read carefully and you will find that I never said she was wrong. I said that “these contrarians” were wrong.

quote:

Experts cautioned that the flurry of activity to fight omicron may turn out to be largely unnecessary

Those folks can go fly a kite.

It is necessary to meet serious threats with serious action.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Stereotype posted:

Quoting this for posterity

But when it turns out that you were wrong, you’re either going to move the goalposts or say nothing at all.

Platystemon posted:

I wish these contrarians were right, but I know that they are not.

Oh, so now you know for certain what no one else on the planet knows? Why the gently caress are you poo poo posting here instead of going out there and saving lives?

Put up or shut up, it’s that’s simple.

no lube so what posted:

This is called moving the goal posts.

Platystemon posted:

You’re just making blind predictions based on your gut feelings. You’ve done no work in this area and your constant demands do little but chase off others with actual education and experience.

Smeef posted:

Again, there is a massive difference between saying “be careful” and “vaccines have stopped working, experts know nothing, I know everything and R=36”.

People have already said this multiple times but the fact you’ve ignored this shows you aren’t willing to pay attention.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Platystemon posted:

Many scientists have made educated guesses about what the structural changes mean for antibody binding.

That is information.

Weiss is all air.

Weiss made an assertion about severity that is extremely important and that you are diminishing and rejecting (and conflating, again, severity with spread). You are changing every part of your position just to be able to attack anyone who is not accepting whichever version of doom you want to assert in a given post.

Platystemon posted:

This isn’t her first time answering questions from a reporter. She knows that if she plays the devil’s advocate here, they will print her quote and put her name in the paper. If she words it carefully, she won’t say anything she could ever possibly regret. She burnishes her reputation without risking it.

You are attacking someone for being correct about the currently available information and not speculating. You are literally condemning responsible scientific communication because it won't let you doomsay hard enough. Weiss doesn't need to play devil's advocate to get her name in the paper (as if we must accept that is somehow her motivating force), she's one of the foremost authorities on coronaviruses.

Platystemon posted:

If you wish to play this sophomoric game of techicalities, read carefully and you will find that I never said she was wrong. I said that “these contrarians” were wrong.

You said "these contrarians" immediately after directly quoting the article only quoting or citing her. You are misrepresenting even your own words.

no lube so what posted:

If you want to summarize the entirety of the thread's issues with information, it is the demand that fear compels.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 28, 2021

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

gay picnic defence posted:

Even if there was a national policy there's no way you'd be able to force the chud states to enforce it.

At least when there's a national policy I can gesture to authority instead of constantly having my personal precautions undermined or second-guessed by people who have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Where are all the "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" people at?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Those folks can go fly a kite.

It is necessary to meet serious threats with serious action.

I don't think they're denying that--they seem to just be saying that people shouldn't assume from the fact that actions are being taken in response to Omicron that it's yet been determined that it necessarily poses a great threat.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smeef posted:

Maybe it's just the leftist circles I move in on Twitter, but I'm kind of amazed that for certain people the needle seems to have swung back on Australia's border policies over the past two years (which IMO, and I think objectively, were the chief reason for our good outcomes). Border closures in a pandemic are apparently bad and racist and the latest tweaking to them (even though Australia is still now more open to non-citizens than it's been since February 2020) are proof of our inherently racist fortress mentality, and never mind that basically every other country is doing the same thing right now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
any chance we can make twitter covid personalities into its own thread and stop trying to rubberneck twitter drama in the thread about the virus?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

freebooter posted:

Maybe it's just the leftist circles I move in on Twitter, but I'm kind of amazed that for certain people the needle seems to have swung back on Australia's border policies over the past two years (which IMO, and I think objectively, were the chief reason for our good outcomes). Border closures in a pandemic are apparently bad and racist and the latest tweaking to them (even though Australia is still now more open to non-citizens than it's been since February 2020) are proof of our inherently racist fortress mentality, and never mind that basically every other country is doing the same thing right now.

They're probably just mad that it's been 2 years since their last cocaine fueled jaunt through Europe.

Plus there's a lot of twitter drips like Osman who I assume mostly do it for the attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

They're probably just mad that it's been 2 years since their last cocaine fueled jaunt through Europe.

Plus there's a lot of twitter drips like Osman who I assume mostly do it for the attention.

I mean, there are people who've been cut off from their loved ones, and I get that, it loving sucks, and I also get that they're more likely to be POC Australians than Anglo-Celts. But you can acknowledge that it sucks without pretending that there was some other way of avoiding the catastrophes in the rest of the world. It circles back around to a lot of people of all colour and creeds refusing to believe that there isn't some kind of perfect option that would have made everything OK; that we didn't have to pick a least bad option.