Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

goferchan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1005450/Vision_Soft_Reset/

Anyone ever play Vision Soft Reset? I don't think i've ever seen it mentioned here but it sounds pretty interesting. Always curious about time travel mechanics that actually evoke time travel and don't just mean "a 5 second rewind" or "you can slow down enemies"

It's not time travel per se. It's a metroidvania with a twenty minute timer and a reset button. You get to keep some things you've found between resets, but not everything. I bounced off it pretty hard, but not because it's a bad game; it just wasn't for me. If you're curious, check it out, and you'll know within the refund window whether you like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I really friggin' enjoyed Vision Soft Reset

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bought Loop Hero. Its...interesting.

I dont know if its fun but I did just dump 4 hours into it.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

BigRed0427 posted:

Bought Loop Hero. Its...interesting.

I dont know if its fun but I did just dump 4 hours into it.

That sounds like my experience. It's definitely a novel concept, where you have to balance getting rewards in the loop with the increasing difficulty, but it also involves literally walking in a circle having repetitive fights over and over again. I appreciate its existence, but I will probably never play it again.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I loved Loop Hero until the end but was weirdly disappointed by almost no post-release additions but i realized that's because my brain is broken by the GAAS model. I loved it for what it was and was sad that when I beat it, it was over with almost 0 replayability

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
There was also, if I recall correctly, no fast-forward button, which I absolutely hate in RPG's. The Final Fantasy pre-X remakes (or at least IX, the only one I played) were made immeasurably better by having the option to turn on hyperspeed and sprint through all of the turn-based battles.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oh hey, Pathologic 2 is on sale! This is one of my favorite games I played in the past year, and it could be yours too if you're the type who, like me, enjoys grim stories with game mechanics made deliberately difficult to add to the atmosphere. It even has adjustable difficulty sliders if the native difficulty isn't your cup of tea or you're in the one stupid forced combat section of the entire game.

Live your fantasy of being a doctor in a town dying of plague, broke and starving and trading switchblades and nuts you looted off of muggers to children for medicine.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xanderkish posted:

There was also, if I recall correctly, no fast-forward button, which I absolutely hate in RPG's. The Final Fantasy pre-X remakes (or at least IX, the only one I played) were made immeasurably better by having the option to turn on hyperspeed and sprint through all of the turn-based battles.

There is absolutely a fast forward button, though I think they added an even faster speed in a patch.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

goferchan posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1005450/Vision_Soft_Reset/

Anyone ever play Vision Soft Reset? I don't think i've ever seen it mentioned here but it sounds pretty interesting. Always curious about time travel mechanics that actually evoke time travel and don't just mean "a 5 second rewind" or "you can slow down enemies"

Pretty sure this was in one of the itch bundles last year (can't remember which one, maybe the first massive one?) so you might already have it!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleT2172 posted:

I loved Loop Hero until the end but was weirdly disappointed by almost no post-release additions but i realized that's because my brain is broken by the GAAS model. I loved it for what it was and was sad that when I beat it, it was over with almost 0 replayability

Yeah I was a bit surprised because they did add stuff for a bit then stopped.

Loop Hero is secretly a puzzle game, so if you look up guides and stuff you're basically left with no game to play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Xanderkish posted:

Oh hey, Pathologic 2 is on sale! This is one of my favorite games I played in the past year, and it could be yours too if you're the type who, like me, enjoys grim stories with game mechanics made deliberately difficult to add to the atmosphere. It even has adjustable difficulty sliders if the native difficulty isn't your cup of tea or you're in the one stupid forced combat section of the entire game.

Live your fantasy of being a doctor in a town dying of plague, broke and starving and trading switchblades and nuts you looted off of muggers to children for medicine.

This may not be your favorite game of the last few years but it is inarguably up there for "games that succeed in what they're trying to do" in that period. If you're willing to just go along with the "fantasy" described above it's such a great game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xanderkish posted:

oh my god did they carry over the boss fight with foreman oyun? :lol:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lone Badger posted:

The question is how many times was it outsourced?

THAT’S IT!

The outsourcee outsourced it themselves! Whole “copy-of-a-copy” effect. The metagame is tracking down the single programmer in Pakistan who got paid in Bitcoin to remaster all three DEs on an abacus 🧮!

Very William Gibson-esque, imo.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Will Smith’s noodle-armpit gap is sexy as hell

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zurtilik posted:

The robots are starting to learn how to make video games and it's making gamers nervous laugh their asses off.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm the weird guy who can type in game text chat and keep up with a voice chat conversation and I'm always a little flabbergasted that it's such a rare skill, hell a lot of people can't even manage to read text chat in games.

Same. I graduated high school with 96+wpm on a typewriter in 1993, but got up to 120+wpm in 1999-2000.

EverQuest.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

goferchan posted:

Pretty sure Gandalf is in there. The Austin Powers character should work like Pokémon Trainer from SSB Brawl though and have Mike Myers switching between Austin, Dr. Evil, and Fat Bastard

Holy poo poo would I play Fat Bastard in every game, including a typing tutor.

Every. loving. Game. And “remastered” into every game from Pong to New World.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

You'll want to find a different screenshot, that's not from the final version of 2016 and a fair chunk of the effects work is missing in that shot.

Jack Trades posted:

That screenshot is literally from the Steam store page.

Hell still looked like that after release. Here's an image from the IGN post-release review.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Begemot posted:

There is absolutely a fast forward button, though I think they added an even faster speed in a patch.

Aha, then it appears I'm confusing "No fast-forward" with "even with fast-forward this is too slow for me". I played it right as it came out, so I didn't get the faster speed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Xanderkish posted:

But I live in the UK in real life

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I think Dusk made me motion sick. Something thats never happened to me before.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

BigRed0427 posted:

So I think Dusk made me motion sick. Something thats never happened to me before.

Reminds me in an indirect way of the only game that ever made me faint, which is Doki Doki Literature Club.

The Sayori suicide scene

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Have you tried turning the FOV up?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

explosivo posted:

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn during the sale, I had it once before but that was before a GPU upgrade so it kinda ran like poo poo and fiddling with settings only made it tolerable so I refunded. I'm having a great time with this now, just a really neat game what with the robo varieties of of creatures and the whole stripping away parts mechanic. I forgot you eventually get a mount so I gasped when the tutorial told me to hop on the strider I just took over. My only complaint so far is the runnin' around isn't the best; my brain is telling me it should feel like an asscreed game but it's definitely not that. There's a lot of awkward videogame jumping over rocks and stuff when it's not super clear there's a section elsewhere with the yellow "climb here" indicator.

Take your time with the story. This is one of those games where collecting every bit of loose info and data pads will enhance the plot greatly.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Xanderkish posted:

Reminds me in an indirect way of the only game that ever made me faint, which is Doki Doki Literature Club.

The Sayori suicide scene

Hwurmp posted:

Have you tried turning the FOV up?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Realization: the sale is still going and Wargame Red Dragon's base game is 6$. This is an incredible deal if you like compstomp weirdo RTSes.

The deal is: it's a military RTS deckbuilder set in the 1980s/90s that's all "what if the cold war went hot", and so you have access to everyone's military (and prototype military units).

You play by trying to hold command zones, which generate points, which you use to summon more units. Your units are determined by the deck you built - more helicopters? More tanks? That's up to what you put together! Gameplay is fun - there's so many units that it's mostly* balanced, so you figure out less specific strategies and more general counters - they have great helicopters so bring your anti-air batteries. They bring infantry, bring choppers, etc etc. And yeah that can mean you'll lose because you brought the wrong deck, so build another one and do it again.

A note: I almost exclusively play skirmish or co-op multiplayer compstomps, as the campaign is, ehhhhh. And PVP exists I guess, but it's WAY more fun to build decks and see how they work against the AI. I love, love love love teaming up with friends to go face down the AI and complain to each other about all the trash the AI brought today, or help each other spot for artillery, and so on.

Big important super note: turn off the global chat. It appears on the main menu and it's an unmoderated nest of nazis posting slurs at each other.

DLC note: you don't need this, there's oodles of units in there already. Get it if you like the game and want more.
Tutorial note: there is none, RIP
Previous games: I'm trying them out, but Red Dragon is very fun.
Naval units: :sigh: why do these suck so much, I ignore them entirely

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I've been super interested in the premise of Wargame since the first one came out, but would you say it's worth getting Red Dragon just for SP skirmish/campaign stuff? Multiplayer mostly doesn't interest me personally.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phetz posted:

I've been super interested in the premise of Wargame since the first one came out, but would you say it's worth getting Red Dragon just for SP skirmish/campaign stuff? Multiplayer mostly doesn't interest me personally.

Yes! Yes, absolutely, I have fun booting it up to play single-player skirmish against the AI.

The campaign's problem in Red Dragon is that it's more of a puzzle, and that it makes you engage with the naval stuff, which sucks.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The only sale game I got yet is xcom 2. i thought i might as well bc it's the big one in its genre. first impression: well, it's nice they were able to have a budget for their niche genre game, good for them. second impression: drat, there is WAY TOO MUCH shiny packaging on this, this is mostly shiny packaging. third: why can't i beat this battle with savescumming on easy, i'm just trying to understand the mechanics before playing on normal mode. if it's a game where i'm meant to fail and start over, why is there so much extra stuff? i'd be replaying wasteland iii (clearly the better game) if i wanted to sit through extra stuff. game is way too into being in-universe with all its explanations; why can't it be straightforward about what bargains i'm striking with my response to the time pressure and resource pressure?

I'm also still chipping away at FF tactics, which becomes more interesting. the first few hours are all "Player, this game is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here." When I played a snes jrpg as a kid, i thought what even is it? this is not a game. and this is that dialled up to the max. but FFT's presentation is so squarely within the the idiom of JRPG, so orthodox, that it's easy to understand. Question: why can't a knight with equip-heavy-armor equip bronze plate?

FFT doesn't have 'click on enemy to see attack/skill range.' Xcom doesn't even have click on enemy to see movement range! vandal hearts ii 1999 has better combat QoL than both. a tactics game should have a button to click to see ALL enemy movement range and attack range, WHILE i'm positioning characters. Then again, I admit there's a drawback: advance wars and wargroove put me off because they're so transparently solvable chess.

still planning on Laser Squad PC, Blue Souls II sega genesis, Ghost Island Fighting Friends PS2, (these are all freemulation) and Neo-Laser Squad PC. I do not remember the real titles to these games.

is there another tactics game i should get on this sale? xcom was six bucks, which was a good deal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Right now XCOM 2 has an issue of all the DLC not being smoothly implemented into the game at all.

I would almost recommend starting by beating the vanilla campaign without the DLC to start with.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

StrixNebulosa posted:

Realization: the sale is still going and Wargame Red Dragon's base game is 6$. This is an incredible deal if you like compstomp weirdo RTSes.

The deal is: it's a military RTS deckbuilder set in the 1980s/90s that's all "what if the cold war went hot", and so you have access to everyone's military (and prototype military units).

You play by trying to hold command zones, which generate points, which you use to summon more units. Your units are determined by the deck you built - more helicopters? More tanks? That's up to what you put together! Gameplay is fun - there's so many units that it's mostly* balanced, so you figure out less specific strategies and more general counters - they have great helicopters so bring your anti-air batteries. They bring infantry, bring choppers, etc etc. And yeah that can mean you'll lose because you brought the wrong deck, so build another one and do it again.

A note: I almost exclusively play skirmish or co-op multiplayer compstomps, as the campaign is, ehhhhh. And PVP exists I guess, but it's WAY more fun to build decks and see how they work against the AI. I love, love love love teaming up with friends to go face down the AI and complain to each other about all the trash the AI brought today, or help each other spot for artillery, and so on.

Big important super note: turn off the global chat. It appears on the main menu and it's an unmoderated nest of nazis posting slurs at each other.

DLC note: you don't need this, there's oodles of units in there already. Get it if you like the game and want more.
Tutorial note: there is none, RIP
Previous games: I'm trying them out, but Red Dragon is very fun.
Naval units: :sigh: why do these suck so much, I ignore them entirely

This is actually a really fun game series for PvP with your friends as well

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mescal posted:

The only sale game I got yet is xcom 2. i thought i might as well bc it's the big one in its genre. first impression: well, it's nice they were able to have a budget for their niche genre game, good for them. second impression: drat, there is WAY TOO MUCH shiny packaging on this, this is mostly shiny packaging. third: why can't i beat this battle with savescumming on easy, i'm just trying to understand the mechanics before playing on normal mode. if it's a game where i'm meant to fail and start over, why is there so much extra stuff? i'd be replaying wasteland iii (clearly the better game) if i wanted to sit through extra stuff. game is way too into being in-universe with all its explanations; why can't it be straightforward about what bargains i'm striking with my response to the time pressure and resource pressure?

Jack Trades posted:

Right now XCOM 2 has an issue of all the DLC not being smoothly implemented into the game at all.

I would almost recommend starting by beating the vanilla campaign without the DLC to start with.

Yeah. XCOM 2 is one of my absolute favorite games despite some design decisions I don't much care for, like DLC implementation. There's just too goddamn much to do for new players. A vanilla run is so different from one with all the xpacs that I really recommend doing vanilla first.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 28, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished Northern Journey, took me just under 9 hours

the combat is cumbersome and far too prevalent, the navigation is often confusing, and if you're arachnophobic then it will probably give you a frothing panic attack, but this is exactly the kind of weird indie game i'm always on the lookout for. the environments are breathtaking in scale and scope and link to each other surprisingly well - my favorite stage was just fifteen minutes of slowly climbing a massive cliffside after getting flushed to the bottom of the fjord in the previous stage. and while every character is some combination of idiot/rear end in a top hat/murderous lunatic, there's a sense of humor to it that grows on you after a while. especially the one spider-related gag. "i promise these will be the last living airbreathing spiders you encounter." cue the undead spiders, followed by the aquatic spiders

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mescal posted:

The only sale game I got yet is xcom 2. i thought i might as well bc it's the big one in its genre. first impression: well, it's nice they were able to have a budget for their niche genre game, good for them. second impression: drat, there is WAY TOO MUCH shiny packaging on this, this is mostly shiny packaging. third: why can't i beat this battle with savescumming on easy, i'm just trying to understand the mechanics before playing on normal mode. if it's a game where i'm meant to fail and start over, why is there so much extra stuff?

XCOM2 is a very easy game, if you are failing over and over even with savescumming then you must be doing something fundamentally wrong. It doesn't sound like you are very far in if you are still sounding out the mechanics, so I can't imagine what's killing you. Is it your first Haven defense or Chosen encounter? Are you using cover?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ripper Swarm posted:

It sounds like you're after PC versions so if you're not already aware, Ubisoft offers a Netflix style subscription service. It's something like $15 a month and gives you access to pretty much all of Ubisofts games, usually with all the DLC included. I assume this includes every Assassin's Creed title but probably worth double checking that before signing up.

Your computer would have to be good enough for the more demanding newer ones, but if you're primarily interested in AC3 and AC4 that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I’ve been pissed at Ubisoft since Splinter Cell: Conviction was new on DVD media because the entire point of buying a physical copy of a single-player series was rural internet woes. The “always-on” DRM made the game unplayable by checking for copying or something every two or three seconds, and when baseline lag is 1 second, you spend three or four seconds paused for each two or three seconds of play. I also PvP’d in WoW on that connection after a little practice, so having a long-awaited PC game crippled by DRM was both novel and unannounced beforehand. It’s a great game, and my son finished it in a long weekend once they finally had folks on forums talking about suing over its unplayable nature being fraud that they patched it out months later.

Ubisoft is on my shitlist, but my boy finished Michael Ironside’s Sam Fisher and he liked AC3 too (Xbox), so I’ll look for it then on sale or something where I don’t pay lots of money to Ubisoft…:argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Got Inscryption, Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye, and Persona 5 Strikers, in an effort to round my top 10 this year only from games that were actually released this year.

I've already put around 4 hours in Inscryption and it's really something. And though card games really are not my thing in general, this managed to kept my attention so far.

I've played Persona 5 Royal (my first ever Persona game) during summer and liked it a lot so wanted to see how the story continues, though I am a bit wary of the combat system.

Outer Wilds was my game of the year back when it was released so it was a no brainer to grab the DLC.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shard posted:

I really like the mega man collections and the castlevania collections. Hate Contra. Any other good classic game collections/remasters?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/865940/SNK_40th_ANNIVERSARY_COLLECTION/

This one has really cool presentation/features, like being able to watch the game if you want, with the option to jump in and take control at any point. if you actually like the included games or not may be down to taste, though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

XCOM2 is a very easy game, if you are failing over and over even with savescumming then you must be doing something fundamentally wrong. It doesn't sound like you are very far in if you are still sounding out the mechanics, so I can't imagine what's killing you. Is it your first Haven defense or Chosen encounter? Are you using cover?

I'm familiar with typical tactics gameplay and i use cover. It's a civilian defense mission, the first one where i'm supposed to use the mindjack. It just happens to throw large groups of tough enemies at me in quick succession. Dice, I guess. Dealing with some injuries too, so I can't just throw leveled characters at it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
XCOM 2 difficulty is a bit front loaded I think, you'll get stronger and stronger as you go and eventually outpace most things that were giving you problems before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
I'm looking for some ideas for some 12 and under kids, ideally relatively cheap ($15 and less) games that are decent aracde-ish single player and/or good co-op, as they got steam gift cards but I've already bought them most games that I was sure they would like. My kids enjoy Terraria, Stardew Valley, Cattails, Bloons TD 6, Don't Starve Together (what we're playing recently), and single player like Moonlighter, Forager, and my time at Portia. They also have things like Hollow Knight on the switch (and civ 6 etc).

I've also tried stuff like Hero Quest, Torchlight 2, Orcs must Die 2, and Dungeon Defenders, but my likes (roguelights, strategy games, etc) and theirs are different enough I've been struggling to help them figure out what they could buy and not have buyer's remorse later.