Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIjbX1gj88

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bunch of scrubs touching the orb but too afraid to ponder it

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

my initial reservations about the thumbnail were extremely unfounded.

Proclick

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that is an extremely pro-click.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's really incredible how the original fim could survive intact.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm p. sure every old piece of "footage" you've seen of the Demon Core was a recreation

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mind the walrus posted:

I'm p. sure every old piece of "footage" you've seen of the Demon Core was a recreation

No that video was definitely cinema verite of the actual events

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

didn't really clock when the URL started and wasn't massively surprised to read "who gets kyle rittenhouse as an intern raw"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can someone explain in very simple terms why having the two hemispheres apart was fine but having them together was not. I don't know much about critical nuclear reactions

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Who What Now posted:

Can someone explain in very simple terms why having the two hemispheres apart was fine but having them together was not. I don't know much about critical nuclear reactions

Same prinicple as a compost fire.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Who What Now posted:

There's a ball of neutron radiating poo poo inside. Have the hemispheres apart, there's enough of a gap that neutrons can escape all the time. It's not ideal to be right next to that but it won't kill you right away, just slowly give you cancer.

Have the hemispheres together, the gap is closed, and the hemispheres will reflect almost all of the neutrons back to the ball of bad poo poo. Launching a neutron into this specific isotope means it releases two more neutrons. Those reflect off the inside of the hemisphere back into the ball, and each releases 2 more neutrons, and so on. This runaway reaction happens in a split second, and suddenly the amount of neutrons coming out is so huge that not only do they breach the hemispheres, they're enough to give anyone nearby a deadly case of radiation poisoning.

What I don't really know is why it's described as only a flash instead of it going on for longer. Does it use up all the nuclear material in that single flash and do they have to replenish it after?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Who What Now posted:

Criticality requires a whole bunch of short-lived particles banging up against each other.

That happens a hell of a lot faster when everything's nice and cozy and the particles have nowhere to go but the other Fun particles.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone got more of those roller coaster memes?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Who What Now posted:

The Danger Jawbreaker:

Say the outer colors are all different shielding materials like lead and tungsten. The red is plutonium.

So, the half sphere is basically a bomb that can self ignite if it becomes a whole sphere.

It's "safe" in half sphere form because the plutonium can vent itself. But when both halves come together the lead and tungsten have formed a solid shell around the plutonium, so it can't "vent".

It gives off energy that goes nowhere, that reflects back on itself doubling the energy, which reflects back on itself doubling the energy, and so on and so on, increasing in magnitude a million fold in like half a second.

So while it was releasing neutrons at a slow enough rate to give you cancer after 20 years of exposure as a half sphere, as a whole sphere it released enough neutrons to give you a million years worth of radiation in half a second. And so you die. Very painfully.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And there were a zillion safety protocols about keeping the halves separate using wedges and utmost caution.

And true to form the screwdriver accident occurred when a guy wearing cowboy boots said "don't try this at home, I'm an expert" and ignored every safety protocol, jammed a screwdriver between them, started loving with it to show off, the screwdriver slipped, and in a fraction of a second he was exposed to 400,000 lifetimes worth of radiation.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Danger Jawbreaker:

Say the outer colors are all different shielding materials like lead and tungsten. The red is plutonium.

So, the half sphere is basically a bomb that can self ignite if it becomes a whole sphere.

It's "safe" in half sphere form because the plutonium can vent itself. But when both halves come together the lead and tungsten have formed a solid shell around the plutonium, so it can't "vent".

It gives off energy that goes nowhere, that reflects back on itself doubling the energy, which reflects back on itself doubling the energy, and so on and so on, increasing in magnitude a million fold in like half a second.

So while it was releasing neutrons at a slow enough rate to give you cancer after 20 years of exposure as a half sphere, as a whole sphere it released enough neutrons to give you a million years worth of radiation in half a second. And so you die. Very painfully.

Jesus :gonk:

And this is a meme in TYOOL 2021

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

This part cannot be overstated, acute radiation exposure would be unimaginably miserable. You just turn to soup over the course of a couple weeks as your body, with its genetic data now shredded, has lost the ability to repair itself. Ugh.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a ball of neutron radiating poo poo inside. Have the hemispheres apart, there's enough of a gap that neutrons can escape all the time. It's not ideal to be right next to that but it won't kill you right away, just slowly give you cancer.

Have the hemispheres together, the gap is closed, and the hemispheres will reflect almost all of the neutrons back to the ball of bad poo poo. Launching a neutron into this specific isotope means it releases two more neutrons. Those reflect off the inside of the hemisphere back into the ball, and each releases 2 more neutrons, and so on. This runaway reaction happens in a split second, and suddenly the amount of neutrons coming out is so huge that not only do they breach the hemispheres, they're enough to give anyone nearby a deadly case of radiation poisoning.

What I don't really know is why it's described as only a flash instead of it going on for longer. Does it use up all the nuclear material in that single flash and do they have to replenish it after?

I always loved the term "nuclear excursion." it's like those neutrons are going on a little vacation.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're going to have to draw a picture
Read about ion sputtering.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Enough of the particles were absorbed into the core material and the reflective shells to stop the event (coupled with the operator quicky removing the upper reflector by hand). IE, heating.

Think of a solar reflector oven where the reflector material (such as silvered cloth, kevlar, etc) actually melts or burns away.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zereth posted:

Mcdonalds was keeping their coffee illegally hot. There were laws against keeping their coffee that hot, and they'd been ordered to stop before. She got third-degree burns.

She didn't even get most of the money.
What's your point? Just expanding on the example, or dislike it?

The scientist was not following the approved process. They had documented procedures. He died of radiation poisoning in nine days. His body was harvested without family approval. (Though apparently there was a lawsuit some 40yr later.)

I'd say my simile was more apt than "like a teenager with a new driver's license" or "like a kitten with a roll of toilet paper". Which example of ridiculous warning labels would you use? "Don't use corded electric razor in shower"? "Don't smoke at fuel pump"?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Guillermus posted:

Jesus :gonk:

And this is a meme in TYOOL 2021

there was a movie made recently about the whole thing, exposing it to a generation of people who will meme anything.

see also the many chernobyl memes that came out after the HBO miniseries

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"scientists focus on getting poo poo done" combined with a triple-post over the course of an hour is painting a very vivid picture of what this goon is like

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

"scientists focus on getting poo poo done" combined with a triple-post over the course of an hour is painting a very vivid picture of what this goon is like

Nerd who has too much time on their hands while some data simulation runs?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

painting a very vivid picture of what this goon is like
It's almost like a runaway nuclear event!

:justpost:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you know you're 100% going to die in like a week by turning to soup via radiation poisoning... why wouldn't you just blow your brains out to get it over with?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hellblazer187 posted:

If you know you're 100% going to die in like a week by turning to soup via radiation poisoning... why wouldn't you just blow your brains out to get it over with?

Unfortunately most people still have the survival instinct intact even when facing the inevitable and incurable.

So people will endure all kinds of heinous poo poo like extreme radiation poisoning and 4th degree burns and horrifying pain like bone cancer in exchange for those 2 or 3 more days of life.

I mean I get what you're saying, as I'd much rather have a pleasant death on my terms, like just knock down a shitload of morphine with a bottle of whiskey and drift off watching my favorite movie rather than dying of soupification. But a lot of people just can't do that.

poo poo, look at covid survival rates on ventilators. They know it's over and still insist nurses spend the next week keeping their unconscious rotting bodies "alive".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

The radiation made you bulletproof.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who What Now posted:

When someone says "critical mass" it means enough of the atoms have been put close enough together to make them all crash into each other fast enough to start a chain reaction and blow up.

Naturally you can't just manufacture a bunch of uranium of critical mass all at once. You have to build it from smaller pieces, and at some point you're putting enough together to go over the threshold. That event when that happens is a big deal.

The criticality threshold is very precise and must be very carefully controlled. Keep them apart, even a little bit, and they don't have critical mass. Clink them together and boom.

There's two kinds of bombs, one that fires that last little bit of mass into the middle of a 95% mass in order to push it over the criticality threshold, and another that implodes a hollow sphere of mass together all at once like crushing a ball of aluminum foil. Both are ways to keep the control over the criticality threshold extremely tight and positive. We used one of each in WWII.

Slotin used method 3, which is "control? ehh twist the screwdriver"

e: there's of course a difference between bombs and neutron excursions, as described better by others, but I think this is the spirit of the question

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Nov 28, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Unfortunately most people still have the survival instinct intact even when facing the inevitable and incurable.

So people will endure all kinds of heinous poo poo like extreme radiation poisoning and 4th degree burns and horrifying pain like bone cancer in exchange for those 2 or 3 more days of life.

I mean I get what you're saying, as I'd much rather have a pleasant death on my terms, like just knock down a shitload of morphine with a bottle of whiskey and drift off watching my favorite movie rather than dying of soupification. But a lot of people just can't do that.

poo poo, look at covid survival rates on ventilators. They know it's over and still insist nurses spend the next week keeping their unconscious rotting bodies "alive".

Yeah. It's weird. Although, obviously, I can't say I've ever been in a position where "100% chance of painful death this week" forced any kind of similar decision. So who knows how I'd react. I'd almost feel compelled to mercy kill someone else going through this, though.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

didn't really clock when the URL started and wasn't massively surprised to read "who gets kyle rittenhouse as an intern raw"

Hrm hrm. Do I have to point it out?

rawstory.com/republicans-ky...

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Now if someone could oversimplification explain the CERN hadron collider.

I've read the equivalent of a medium sized novel about it and my best explanation is still "it's loving magic, bro"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Now if someone could oversimplification explain the CERN hadron collider.

I've read the equivalent of a medium sized novel about it and my best explanation is still "it's loving magic, bro"

make things go fast, then make things collide.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Carbon dioxide posted:

make things go fast, then make things collide.

How they get from "it go fast" to "oh yeah, there's an inverse negaverse comprised of antimatter" is the part where I feel like they're bullshitting me because that knowledge is so far above my pay grade.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's a flash because all that radiation release heats the core way up, which makes further fission events less likely (though I'm not actually sure what the mechanism is here, whether it's physical expansion of the core or it effects neutron capture probabilities), and halts the prompt fission events.

Remember that they were essentially pushing as close to the edge of criticality as possible during these (dubiously useful) experiments. So when they dropped the brick/hemisphere it makes a critical mass, but only just barely, and so that little bit of heat release is sufficient to stop it again, in less than a second.

In both cases the neutron reflectors were removed by the scientists who dropped them in short order, which prevented it from happening again; had they been left in place they would have gone through cycles of rapid neutron release, heating, cooling, rapid release, etc.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hellblazer187 posted:

In Slotins case he had lost almost all fine motor control within 30 minutes of exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

There's two kinds of bombs, one that fires that last little bit of mass into the middle of a 95% mass in order to push it over the criticality threshold, and another that implodes a hollow sphere of mass together all at once like crushing a ball of aluminum foil. Both are ways to keep the control over the criticality threshold extremely tight and positive. We used one of each in WWII.

A funny thing! The first type (the fission gun design) used on Hiroshima was described that way for years, specifically to misdirect from how the actual bomb worked in the opposite way: firing the big hollow cylinder down a tube with a little spike at the end. Which is much easier to manage mechanically.

The reason for this was anti-proliferation: fission guns are much easier to construct than implosion spheres, and anyone getting their hands on some weapons-grade material could make one. Might as well try some disinformation, right?" They're also much more prone to go off by mistake, which is why "mature" nuclear programs tend not to use them at all.