Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA if I demand my parents exclude my sister from Christmas?

quote:

My sister and I have never gotten along, I can't really stand to be in the same room with her. She has always been extremely jealous of me because she was boring and antisocial where I've always been prettier and more popular. I've mostly ignored her at family events for years but this year I want to tell my parents to not invite her.

About a year ago I decided to divorce, things were no longer working with my husband so I chose to end it. He did not take it well, he had moved to my home area and just never bothered to make any friends of his own. His lack of support isn't my problem but I have tried to join him for supper once a month (no kids involved).

It turns out my sister and her husband have still been talking to my ex! Apparently they meet up with him any time they are in town to see our parents.

When I found out I was livid so I called my sister up. I told her it was disrespectful to me that they would keep in contact with my ex. She had the nerve to say that they still like him as a friend and want to keep supporting him. She then went even further to ask if he could join us for Christmas dinner, stating my ex's family is all 4000km away and because I sold the house at a loss (just wanted to be done with it) he has no money to see his family. Unfortunately he has chosen to stay in the area because of his job.

I lost it and started screaming at her that she needs to support family that there is NO WAY my ex is coming to Christmas dinner. She said he was family for 10 years and alone for the holidays, I should be more kind. I hung up on her.

It's been a week and she still has not apologized. If she won't support me I don't want to be around her. So WIBTA for telling my parents to leave my unsupportive sister out of Christmas?

Just LOL if this chick thinks that her parents are going to be on her side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd probably respond lethally to Ms Team Rocket there, but then again I give my Pokemon names, personalities and story arcs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd probably respond lethally to Ms Team Rocket there, but then again I give my Pokemon names, personalities and story arcs.

Pokemon are property, not friends, but still, show me you have the strength to save them. <rival battle music starts playing>

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Evil Willow posted:

I can imagine her parents would be quite happy to exclude the unsupportive and obnoxious sister from Christmas, but she may get a surprise when she finds out which sister it is!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I laughed at the story, then came home to find out my husband had gone in my character's stash in Diablo2 and moved my personal (low level, crap, small) collection of runes into the larger shared stash from his other char's and now I am 100% on pokebro's side. I'm not mad per se, its just super rude.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is demanding an apology for an awkward moment or joke a uniquely American thing? Setting aside the issue of whether making someone feel awkward with an unmalicious joke deserves an apology, it just seems to me that making the apology would be at least as awkward for everyone involved as the original incident? If it was awkward why are they not invested in trying to forget about it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thotsky posted:

Is demanding an apology for an awkward moment or joke a uniquely American thing? Setting aside the issue of whether making someone feel awkward with an unmalicious joke deserves an apology, it just seems to me that making the apology would be at least as awkward for everyone involved as the original incident? If it was awkward why are they not invested in trying to forget about it?

Apologies mean nothing in America except shows of dominance, thats it really.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
In Europe it is very normal to not care about people's feelings.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Barudak posted:

Sorry you chose turtwig, this is what you deserve.

Real truth though; just sever. It sounds petty but its a calculated betrayal of your communal trust to obtain assets for her exclusive use. If it were pretty much anything else from priceless momentos, money, or salt shakers everyone would be saying the same thing

It's this. I think people are just blind to a lot of silly nerd stuff as 'not important', but it's really about the act.

Also its kinda funny/sad how her thing of staying at a friend's until 1am, immediately showering, and going to bed without talking are like... Classic affair things.... I'm.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Miserable Maid posted:

Also its kinda funny/sad how her thing of staying at a friend's until 1am, immediately showering, and going to bed without talking are like... Classic affair things.... I'm.

Stealing his pokemans to distract from the real betrayal would be a galaxy brain move.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

Stealing his pokemans to distract from the real betrayal would be a galaxy brain move.

Would you say its a Team Galaxy brained move?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, trading away all his Pokemon, you could just play your own game up to the same level in nearly the same time. Just play the game!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

packetmantis posted:

In Europe it is very normal to not care about people's feelings.

:hmmyes:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, I'm European and I genuinely don't think I've ever heard someone demand an apology. Mostly because I only hang out with people who will apologize unprompted, and in a few occasions ones who will apologize when a third party suggests it's the right thing to do, but I think that's more of a personal experience than a cultural one.

Like if a person isn't actually sorry they did a thing and will only apologize if pressed to keep the peace, why bother being around that person at all? Doesn't sound like they'll make any effort to not be lovely.

Condolences to people with garbage families/coworkers with whom they're forced to interact by other factors.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Midnight Voyager posted:

We have a more local company called "Wickles" that make pickles and pickled okra, but spicy. I'd start a fight over those things.

I've seen Wickles but never tried it! What's really loving good is pickle de gallo by Grillo's. It's fine chopped pickles, bell peppers, onions, garlic, habanero peppers and jalapenos. It's like pico de gallo but 10x better and I love pico de gallo.

The worst is that I can never consistently find it. Grillo's Pickle de Gallo is my holy grail. Every time I find it in a store they seem to never stock it again, just the pickles from that brand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is, these people don't see apologies as displays of regret and remorse, they see them as displays of contrition and submission.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is, these people don't see apologies as displays of regret and remorse, they see them as displays of contrition and submission.

Its this.

Just always reframe it as understanding that the person apologizing is inferior and you'll understand why they have such a desire to be apologized to and why they never, ever, ever will apologize for anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for making a joke about riding my gf in front of her family because her brother was being rude to me?

Needless to say, he's not accepting the verdict.
I'm a short dude who dates tall, so the fact that OP nuked all my goodwill for him with one sentence is really impressive.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah I'm tempted to find that thread and explain that what's unusual is not that they're demanding an apology, but that they didn't just write you off as a fuckwit and start pressuring the daughter to dump your rear end. Like, if they're demanding an apology you've got a chance to salvage the relationship with the family

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I laughed at the story, then came home to find out my husband had gone in my character's stash in Diablo2 and moved my personal (low level, crap, small) collection of runes into the larger shared stash from his other char's and now I am 100% on pokebro's side. I'm not mad per se, its just super rude.

Yeah, but on the other hand he's :angel: there’s a reason the game makers don’t allow you to get them sooner :angel: and yeah, that's to get kids to use the trades you idiot so get stuffed goody-goody cheat all day erryday.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand he's :angel: there’s a reason the game makers don’t allow you to get them sooner :angel: and yeah, that's to get kids to use the trades you idiot so get stuffed goody-goody cheat all day erryday.

He already promised to help her get trade evolutions though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Runcible Cat posted:

In which runcible cat takes a strong stand against the concept of progression.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

thotsky posted:

*whispers to daughter* could you quietly let your boyfriend know that was in poor taste

also that we need to have a family meeting where he tells us in detail about what he said and apologizes for it

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Policing how other people play video games, especially the single player portion, automatically makes you the rear end in a top hat

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

thotsky posted:

the idea of an apology is that it openly acknowledges that wrong has been done and that you'll try to do better in the future and not do that. if someone has stepped forward and expressed that you've wronged them, just pretending it didn't happen and encouraging them to 'forget' about it is what poo poo repressed people who don't like emotions do. so: cowards. it's what cowards do.

whether something 'deserves' an apology is not for you to determine, especially if you're the one who took the mis-step.

in this case: he messed up by rising to the brother's bait in front of the family, and her parents weren't impressed. they are asking him to acknowledge that was not cool to do in front of everyone and not to do it again. Saying 'yeah well I gently caress HER lol' to clap back is yeah, pretty gross to do at a family gathering. The bro is a little poo poo for sure, but OP is not gonna get anywhere if he continues to try and take the annoying little brother down a peg in front of everyone, it's just going to make family events uncomfortable, and in that case the person they'll cut off the invite list is OP. So they're basically laying that out now, so that hopefully things can be chill moving forward - and if OP says something like that again they've already made it clear that wasn't appreciated and he likely won't be welcomed back into their home again.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 28, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's very much a "wit of the staircase' thing to say, but the correct response to bait like "Oh so she gives you piggyback rides everywhere?" is "only when I have my jockey outfit but I don't wear that around family."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm not certain that it is

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm not certain that it is

Wit of the stairs-haver.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

empty sea posted:

I've seen Wickles but never tried it! What's really loving good is pickle de gallo by Grillo's. It's fine chopped pickles, bell peppers, onions, garlic, habanero peppers and jalapenos. It's like pico de gallo but 10x better and I love pico de gallo.

The worst is that I can never consistently find it. Grillo's Pickle de Gallo is my holy grail. Every time I find it in a store they seem to never stock it again, just the pickles from that brand.

I just googled this and it's available at Target in my city! I might just have to go pick some up, I've never heard of it but it sounds amazing.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

empty sea posted:

Ooh we bought that at a fancy grocery store while staying with friends in Salt Lake City. It's amazing and we all inhaled it with tortilla chips but I'd forgotten about it since life has been so busy. I'm going to go seek it out again.

Edit: doesn't seem to be in the Seattle area :(

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2021

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

kimbo305 posted:

Wit of the stairs-haver.

Lol now that's a comeback.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Wit of the stairs-haver.

lol

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for making a joke about riding my gf in front of her family because her brother was being rude to me?

Needless to say, he's not accepting the verdict.

Boyfriend rules. NTA, I don't care if it was a crude joke.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Evil Willow posted:

She has always been extremely jealous of me because she was boring and antisocial where I've always been prettier and more popular.

Imagine being old enough to have divorced from a 10 years long relationship, and still writing sentences like this that would have made you already an obnoxious rear end in a top hat teen, let alone what it makes you now.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does anyone have that really hosed up sad one about the autistic couple who thought they could just put their 6 month old up for adoption without telling the family and "wanted to get it done before Christmas so it wasn't too awkward"?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

you can tell its rage bait if you have ever played pokemon seriously, because if he was really that into pokemons he wouldn't care about that poo poo. he'd just be trying to beat the game in 5 hours so he could transfer his farm of dittoes off Home and get back to breeding 5 and 6 iv competition mons to mash nerds online. and thats just one of many ways you can tell that. another is that its loving ridiculous

e: but i got some wickles in the fridge (cuc. and okra) and im about to get down

The Diamond and Pearl remakes don't have competitive play and only allow trading with friends. It's assumed Home transfer will be added in the future to introduce those pokes into the sword/shield competitive scene.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

Does anyone have that really hosed up sad one about the autistic couple who thought they could just put their 6 month old up for adoption without telling the family and "wanted to get it done before Christmas so it wasn't too awkward"?

Oh man, that one was terrible. The mom wanted to get rid of the baby because it was too annoying and more work than she expected and the dad was just like "yeah sure, fine by me". I think there was an update where they said other relatives found out and were pursuing adoption, although I might be conflating this with another story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, that sounds like the right call, certainly preferable to the kid growing up with them as parents.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

wizardofloneliness posted:

Oh man, that one was terrible. The mom wanted to get rid of the baby because it was too annoying and more work than she expected and the dad was just like "yeah sure, fine by me". I think there was an update where they said other relatives found out and were pursuing adoption, although I might be conflating this with another story.

No that's exactly the story. Iirc the family took the kid and won't speak to the op and wife anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love a happy ending