Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Came across this NZXT system that is a little better than the Omen system that got posted a few days ago:
https://nzxt.com/product/streaming-plus-pc

Seems decent; it's discounted to $1800 in-cart with a RTX 3070 Ti. I know nothing about the case but the system does have a liquid cooler

Built out in PCPP without the GPU:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($340.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: NZXT N7 B550 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $934.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-28 04:03 EST-0500

The RAM, Power Supply, and Storage are hand-waved, I just picked the lowest-cost equivalent-ish part. So roughly $900 for the 3070 Ti. The case is a little funny looking but doesn't seem to be completely proprietary

Toms Hardware reviewed this specific product, giving it 3 stars. But its cons list is stuff like "No streaming-specific features" (lol who gives a poo poo). The product in their hands also had a bunch of different internals
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-streaming-plus

I wish they used the Flow version of that case and a 240mm radiator. The H510 is okay, but it's not suitable for high-power parts. I'd only put a 65W CPU and 200-ish W GPU in there. 120W and 280W is in there instead is gonna make things toasty. And the NZXT M22 cooler is kinda crappy, actually. I'd rather have a Fuma 2 :v:

With that said, this is still an okay deal, ish. Good CPU, decent components (though the memory is shamefully slow—why do prebuilt companies love this DDR4-3000 trash?), and despite my trashing of the H510 and the M22, this will probably be okay, just a bit loud. The 3070 Ti should not be valued as highly as the OEMs and AIBs (and Nvidia) all seem to want to value it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad card, just a bad value usually. In this prebuilt, it's... okay. The radiator should be moved to the top panel, and an exhaust fan should be added to the rear panel. It at least beats the hell out of this loving thing.

This $1620 3070 prebuilt might be a better value, though it seems more thermally challenged. You'd want to add at least a $30 tower cooler to the CPU (or a $60 one if you want to ensure the CPU cooling in that hot box is a non-issue), but otherwise the components all seem solid. 5600X, 3070, 16GB DDR4-3600, MSI Pro B550-A, 1TB NVMe of unknown origin, an adequate PSU. The only things I don't like are the case and the cooler. Maybe you could do a case swap too, but that really adds to the cost and is a lot of work, and the reviews seem to indicate that maybe a better CPU cooler is all that's really needed (as long as you're okay with that glass-boxed light show)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Howdy thread.

I have the following motherboard:

Manufacturer: ASRock
Product Name: B450 Pro4
Version:
Serial Number: M80-D7017701962

I am currently using a usb wifi and separate bluetooth adaptor and both are poo poo. I start a new job in January and they have already pointed out that my internet is going to be a problem. I am going to gently caress about with the router because I am pretty sure there are some problems there, but the wifi dongle presents a lot of problems and the bluetooth has a reach of about 1 foot.

I want to avoid a wired connection so am looking in to an internal card that can do both bluetooth and wifi.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Science_enthusiast posted:

I haven’t used a pcie WiFi card in a long time, but I’d buy something like the Gigabyte GC‑WB1733D‑I. Intel WiFi card that’s just packaged for pcie use. You could find a ax200 or better version, but with an older router it won’t matter much.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

You can pick up a moderately more powerful 1070 or 1660 for 400-500 dollars right now which would obviously be overpriced but not ludicrously so, though the way you describe her interest makes me think getting price gouged for a moderately more powerful card isn't really what she'll be happy with. Unless she has a specific benchmark in mind I'd say wait. Word is there's going to be an msrp best buy nvidia drop at 12 pm edt the 29th.

I don’t agree that a 400-500 1070 or 1660 is a worthy upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Using a windows program to do fan curves is usually much easier than using your system BIOS since you can do it in real time while under load and see how your system reacts. I would download Argus Monitor, use it to create a custom fan curve, and then test that fan curve against some game benchmarks and maybe Prime95. I would make a fan curve that allows the CPU to reach into the 60s or maybe even the low-to-mid 70s during high loads if it means I don't have to hear the fan much. In your case, the motherboard is expecting a normal cooler where heavily ramping up the fans at 55C is maybe a bit aggressive but fairly normal and not too outrageously loud. It is not aware that you have a loving A500 screaming its head off. How I would go about this is finding the highest fan speed that I consider either inaudible or quiet enough that I easily forget about it, and then make that speed the baseline idle speed. Then I would find the loudest fan setting that I'm comfortable with and make that the ceiling (with most coolers this would be 100%, but definitely not with an A500, which for me would be maybe 65% lmao). I would then start the ramp-up at around 40C and make it top off at the ceiling at around 75C, with maybe an additional emergency fan ramp at around 85C. You can do either an curving ramp with a gentle start or a straight ramp. The gentle ramp may be quieter at moderate loads but will get louder more suddenly at high loads, while the straight ramp will have a more consistent noise increase that may be less jarring. Once you get something you're happy with, mark down the values you're using and transfer it over to your BIOS so you don't have to use Argus (it only has a 30-day trial)

This is how I approach a Ryzen CPU. Intel may have different characteristics. This is how I do PWM case fans too, though I make the curve more aggressive for the GPU's benefit since the CPU almost never reaches the top of the fan curve when gaming.

Spot on for intel as well, although IMO it’s very important to set a fan delay. A lot of intel systems (mine included) spike to 95C then back down in a fraction of a second (I think it’s more to do with how intel reports temps then actual temps).

If you don’t turn on fan delay, you’ll get tons of random ramping to 100% then back down and it’s super annoying. I have mine set at like 5 seconds IIRC.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy thread.

I have the following motherboard:

Manufacturer: ASRock
Product Name: B450 Pro4
Version:
Serial Number: M80-D7017701962

I am currently using a usb wifi and separate bluetooth adaptor and both are poo poo. I start a new job in January and they have already pointed out that my internet is going to be a problem. I am going to gently caress about with the router because I am pretty sure there are some problems there, but the wifi dongle presents a lot of problems and the bluetooth has a reach of about 1 foot.

I want to avoid a wired connection so am looking in to an internal card that can do both bluetooth and wifi.

I use this one:

ASUS Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless-AC2100 PCI-E Bluetooth 5 Gigabit Wi-Fi Adapter, 160MHz Support

It can max out my 100MB/s connection and the Bluetooth reaches at least 20’ on my headphones.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
loving Christ, this morning has been a nightmare. I spent the last 2 days building my new i7-12700k, Gigabyte z690 Auros Elite AX DDR4. The Corsair 4000X that I picked up from Best Buy on Friday was a great call! It's been a pleasure to work inside.

The Auros Elite, on the other hand, is a nightmare. The shipping BIOS would not allow my system to post on RAM clocked above 2133. I spent several hours swapping sticks to make sure my new ones were good, with each clock speed config change requiring a CMOS reset with a jumper. I haven't had to do that in 15 years.

Turns out, the XMP profile the board ships with undervolts the RAM to 1.2, even though it says notes that the RAM requires 1.35. The new BIOS version F6A does the same, but at least I can specify the voltage and get the thing to boot @ 3600.

Now I'm finally resyncing my Steam library from backup.

About halfway through cable management

Cable management mostly complete, with bonus furry helper!

Done!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Will graphics card prices ever become reasonable again? Did they for a while but I just missed it? I started looking into a decent gaming PC in 2018 and people were talking about the insane prices. The prices still look insane to me here at the end of 2021. Going into 2022 I finally have a decent financial situation and would like to get a new PC but I dunno what to do with all the GPU prices being astronomical. Should I just wait? I'm not in any rush.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I wish they used the Flow version of that case and a 240mm radiator. The H510 is okay, but it's not suitable for high-power parts. I'd only put a 65W CPU and 200-ish W GPU in there. 120W and 280W is in there instead is gonna make things toasty. And the NZXT M22 cooler is kinda crappy, actually. I'd rather have a Fuma 2 :v:

With that said, this is still an okay deal, ish. Good CPU, decent components (though the memory is shamefully slow—why do prebuilt companies love this DDR4-3000 trash?), and despite my trashing of the H510 and the M22, this will probably be okay, just a bit loud. The 3070 Ti should not be valued as highly as the OEMs and AIBs (and Nvidia) all seem to want to value it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad card, just a bad value usually. In this prebuilt, it's... okay. The radiator should be moved to the top panel, and an exhaust fan should be added to the rear panel. It at least beats the hell out of this loving thing.

This $1620 3070 prebuilt might be a better value, though it seems more thermally challenged. You'd want to add at least a $30 tower cooler to the CPU (or a $60 one if you want to ensure the CPU cooling in that hot box is a non-issue), but otherwise the components all seem solid. 5600X, 3070, 16GB DDR4-3600, MSI Pro B550-A, 1TB NVMe of unknown origin, an adequate PSU. The only things I don't like are the case and the cooler. Maybe you could do a case swap too, but that really adds to the cost and is a lot of work, and the reviews seem to indicate that maybe a better CPU cooler is all that's really needed (as long as you're okay with that glass-boxed light show)

The funny thing is that the H510 case comes with 120mm fans on the rear and top panels, but in the stock photo it seems like they removed both of them. Possibly moved to the front of the case? It's impossible to tell

Any idea why the radiator is placed on the rear panel instead of the top? It feels like a deliberate choice, but maybe it comes down to "we'll save a few bucks not shipping with an additional fan" but that seems like an odd compromising choice. Going by reviews these systems used to come with a 3060 Ti and the 5600X, maybe they're just jamming in whatever parts they have without considering the additional heat

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

loving Christ, this morning has been a nightmare. I spent the last 2 days building my new i7-12700k, Gigabyte z690 Auros Elite AX DDR4. The Corsair 4000X that I picked up from Best Buy on Friday was a great call! It's been a pleasure to work inside.

The Auros Elite, on the other hand, is a nightmare. The shipping BIOS would not allow my system to post on RAM clocked above 2133. I spent several hours swapping sticks to make sure my new ones were good, with each clock speed config change requiring a CMOS reset with a jumper. I haven't had to do that in 15 years.

Turns out, the XMP profile the board ships with undervolts the RAM to 1.2, even though it says notes that the RAM requires 1.35. The new BIOS version F6A does the same, but at least I can specify the voltage and get the thing to boot @ 3600.

Now I'm finally resyncing my Steam library from backup.

About halfway through cable management

Cable management mostly complete, with bonus furry helper!

Done!

Sorry about your CMOS troubles. I remember doing this stuff before YouTube or easily-searched tutorial texts. CMOS batteries could be replaced with like a standard AAA-sized battery and slot for easy as hell resets like a graphing calculator. At least, when it was more common. Haven’t had to do it myself since December 2010 (bad experience enough I remember the day!).

Finished setup looks great, though! Please post next week all about your Intel; I’m perfectly happy with my 10xxx, but would love to hear about the new hotness’ heat, power draw, and how useful it is for a normal computer person.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NikkolasKing posted:

Will graphics card prices ever become reasonable again? Did they for a while but I just missed it? I started looking into a decent gaming PC in 2018 and people were talking about the insane prices. The prices still look insane to me here at the end of 2021. Going into 2022 I finally have a decent financial situation and would like to get a new PC but I dunno what to do with all the GPU prices being astronomical. Should I just wait? I'm not in any rush.

both related to crypto booms, the 2020 one hasn't subsided. outlook not so good, the supply shortage has kicked it into overdrive

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Start playing the Newegg shuffle (aka waiting with work involved)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

not until the cryptocurrency bubble pops and it's no longer the case that graphics cards turn electricity into money in a far more financially efficient way than doing anything useful with that electricity

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

CoolCab posted:

me i like custom work, i like a project and i love to tinker, so i buy cheap components and gently caress them up to perform as i like.

I'm finally getting around to posting my janky budget build that I'm pretty pleased with. Saved some money on used parts and integrated graphics, and left enough room for a cheap upgrade path in the next few years when people start letting go of their AM4/DDR4 parts.

Kinda par-for-the-course as far as budget builds in :canada: go, and I've included a bunch of stuff that aren't really core components, but la pièce de résistance is by far the case. It's one that I had refunded a couple years ago because it got brutalized during shipping. Damage includes a front panel that got smashed and broke off, a broken foot, the main side panel needed to be bent back to shape, and the rear panel needed to be bent back for the IO shield to fit. But boy howdy, the airflow.

Boohoo wimpers the dogmatists, decrying that it might get dusty inside or something. Well, that's easy to fix when your components are so accessible and the side panel practically falls off.

This was sitting in my closet for 2 years, so that dust on the PSU shroud isn't recent, though I should tidy that up anyway. That wire going through the top PCI slot is a detachable power switch, 'cause...well...I don't have a front panel, but also because I had to move the power switch anyway because my 4-year-old likes to turn off the computer when someone's using it and run away giggling (prick).

Anyway, this was the first time I got a microATX motherboard, an aftermarket CPU cooler, and some used parts. So it was a nice journey in trying out some new thing, saving money in a few sensible spots, and maintaining a decent upgrade path. This started off as a work-from-home build, but I've been constantly surprised at how well integrated Vega 8 graphics perform. Considering my Steam library has a huge backlog of untouched games going back as far as 8 years, I think it'll do me just find until the GPU market cools off. Also I have no idea how my kid got so good at Rocket League, but we've been having a lot of fun doing split-screen couch-coop stuff when it's too rainy outside, which is a great bonus. :3:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The funny thing is that the H510 case comes with 120mm fans on the rear and top panels, but in the stock photo it seems like they removed both of them. Possibly moved to the front of the case? It's impossible to tell

Any idea why the radiator is placed on the rear panel instead of the top? It feels like a deliberate choice, but maybe it comes down to "we'll save a few bucks not shipping with an additional fan" but that seems like an odd compromising choice. Going by reviews these systems used to come with a 3060 Ti and the 5600X, maybe they're just jamming in whatever parts they have without considering the additional heat

a rear-mounted radiator is fine if it's the only exhaust, but I would move it to the top if adding a second exhaust fan to ensure that it gets first dibs on the intake air.

The classic dual-exhaust H510 setup was an odd one but surprisingly effective for the case's limited airflow capabilities since it turned the rear expansion slot area into an additional intake area, which gave the GPU access to fresh air. The GPU thermals worsen a good bit when you move the fans to front intake duty.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Finished setup looks great, though! Please post next week all about your Intel; I’m perfectly happy with my 10xxx, but would love to hear about the new hotness’ heat, power draw, and how useful it is for a normal computer person.

Thanks, I'm very happy with how the build ended up looking.

I just did a quick demo of Control and the difference between my 8700k to the 12700k is significant. While I kept a framerate average of around 70 previously, the loading studders were noticeable. Now it runs at a buttery smooth 90+ with much more seamless loading.

This is pretty much the 20-30% gain I was expecting, but it's the difference between good and nearly flawless.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, the Gigabyte boards apparently have a few memory-related issues that will hopefully be ironed out in future bios updates. Good catch on the memory voltage. The negative newegg customer reviews I've read didn't seem to realize that. I don't understand how gigabyte managed to ship an entire line of motherboards with such a glaring issue. Their quality control never ceases to amaze.

NikkolasKing posted:

They became kinda normal in the second half of 2019. I bought a 5700 XT around then without an issue. But then they started getting scarce again in the second half of 2020, and once the new cards from Nvidia and AMD launched, it was over. Consumers were way more into the 30-series than the lackluster 20-series, and the market got an instant, massive demand spike that shocked an already troubled supply chain. The GPUs of all varieties became impossible to find at retail, and prices on the second-hand market immediately shot up. It didn't take long for everyone involved to find ways to profit from the situation, and retail prices have shot up as well. GPUs are now harder to come by and more expensive than they've ever been, much more than during even the worst of the 2018 bitcoin bubble.

Maybe you'll be able to buy a GPU more easily once the new generation launches, but I don't know how likely that is.

edit: accidentally clicked post instead of preview... What I was gonna add is that if you want to maximize your chances when the new generation launches, then you should try to join the EVGA queue system on day one. Hour one, if possible. I think you may be need to be part of the special EVGA elite club or whatever to join a queue on day one, which requires you to have a registered EVGA product or to make a certain number of posts on their forums. Be on the lookout for other companies offering a queue as well. We may also see some other companies trying to copy what EVGA has done (or at least, I hope we do).

As for getting a new GPU now, start entering the Newegg shuffle every day, search Alan Smithee's posts in the GPU thread for information on how to potentially find and purchase "hidden" stock at best buy, show up at Micro Center shortly after opening to see if they've gotten any shipments, sit in stock alert discords and try to join the countless other people F5ing Best Buy whenever they do an online drop... There may be a few other methods I'm forgetting, but that about sums it up. Alternatively, you can build a system through the Newegg PC Builder service. This is newegg's custom PC build service that allows you to pick items from the Newegg store at their current listed prices (with coupon codes still applicable). They'll have a small rotating selection of GPUs that can only be obtained through this service, available at their current retail price. The only upcharge is the full cost of a windows key and $100 for the build fee. The combined inflated retail prices and extra charges make going this route a questionable value for midrange builds, but for high-end builds it will be less expensive than paying a scalper for a GPU or buying a normal prebuilt, so it's something to consider if you're looking to build a whole new system and are okay dropping a lot of money on something high-end.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 29, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wanted to post pics when I knew everything was done and finished, so another week or so since I'm waiting for my replacement motherboard to arrive.

Such a pity, cause everything except for the wifi works great. There were moments I had doubts whether it wasn't all a fancy waste of money, but using it yesterday I felt good about having built it.

With a new fan curve the CPU fan is quiet all the time, and temps remain great.

And the performance uplift! I was very pleasantly surprised at how much better some games run. The Far Cry 5 benchmark increased by an average 5fps, which isn't incredible, but it never went below 60, whereas before the framerate was erratic, with a 12fps minumum. That's basically what I wanted.

But in other games, the gain are even better. In Borderlands the Pre-Sequel, I was certain the GTX 970 was the bottleneck to high frame rates at 1440p, but nope, my previous average FPS is now my minimum and my highs go above 120fps. And this is at higher settings than before. That's fantastic! Fallout 4 was another game I tested. Before at 1080p the framerate was fairly respectable, but not quite locked at 60, and there'd be lots of dips when using the flashlight mod in dense areas. With the 11600K ~80 is my new low with the flashlight, and it often tops out at 120fps (my current refresh rate cause I wasn't expect to go past it).

So yeah thanks for all the help and advice along the way, because I am really happy I went ahead with it.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM
My computer's been showing its age after seven years and I'm thinking about taking the GPU (a GTX 760) out and building a new system around it.

The most pressing thing for me now is upgrading to 32GB of RAM, which my current mini-ITX motherboard doesn't support. This'll be used for tab-heavy browsing, light office, Photoshop, and programming work, and a little VM stuff. As far as gaming goes, I don't play anything more demanding than Minecraft these days so it's not a huge priority. (But on the off-chance I decide to get into Flight Simulator or VR one day, I'd be curious to hear what my options would be at that point.)

It looks like at the low end I'm looking at an i3-10100 or a 3200G, and at the high end I'm looking at an i5-12600K or 5600X. Where should I be aiming for my use case? For reference I'm currently on an i5-4690.

I also need to decide what form factor to go with. My current case is a Silverstone ML07, which was great for carrying around, but I don't need to do that anymore and opening it up wasn't super pleasant. On the other hand, it looks like if I went with the i5-12600K today, there's only a couple micro-ATX or mini-ITX motherboard options available for it right now. ATX isn't totally out of the question but does seem excessive when all I have is a seven-year-old graphics card, though keeping it quiet without spending a lot on fans would be nice.

Here's a list I put together at about the middle of my range:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($205.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: SAMA IM01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.92 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $570.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-28 22:55 EST-0500

Also, I can wait a few more months - maybe the upcoming lower-end Intel CPUs would be worth waiting for?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Have been pricing up a 5800X / B550 pre-built PC, but finding now a 12600K / Z690 setup is only £30 more (all other components identical). Any reason to go Intel over AMD now?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
not really at all for gaming. i have heard productivity workloads can favour ryzen but it would depend heavily on your load and there are still some that intel outperforms (which you would expect). maybe if you play a game that is known to have issues with the new platform but i expect those will be ironed out.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Just to complain for a minute, I had relatively little trouble getting most parts for my upgrade, but hot drat is DDR5 impossible to come by. At least the other components go on sale before being grabbed by scalpers, but in a month of watching I haven’t seen a single retailer that ever had DDR5 in stock so I haven’t even had the chance to complain about it selling out before I could buy - it doesn’t sell out because it doesn’t go on sale in the first place. Argh.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Post about how the GPU market is and will remain hosed

Just to say that something I learned very recently which surprised me was that the new higher end Ryzen APUs are actually pretty respectable for video games, if you want to play current stuff and aren't too obsessive about cranking up the detail all the way. They're way easier to get (and at RRP) than dedicated video cards, and you've always got the option to slot in a proper card if things ever change.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Grumbles posted:

Just to say that something I learned very recently which surprised me was that the new higher end Ryzen APUs are actually pretty respectable for video games, if you want to play current stuff and aren't too obsessive about cranking up the detail all the way. They're way easier to get (and at RRP) than dedicated video cards, and you've always got the option to slot in a proper card if things ever change.

5600Gs are only like $250 right now too, it's not a terrible stop-gap option if you want to play Fortnite or whatever.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

The Pirate Captain posted:

Just to complain for a minute, I had relatively little trouble getting most parts for my upgrade, but hot drat is DDR5 impossible to come by. At least the other components go on sale before being grabbed by scalpers, but in a month of watching I haven’t seen a single retailer that ever had DDR5 in stock so I haven’t even had the chance to complain about it selling out before I could buy - it doesn’t sell out because it doesn’t go on sale in the first place. Argh.

This post makes me feel better about just going with DDR4 for this generation.

I've been running through the most stressful games in my library, and the 12700K / RTX3080 just chews through it.

I loaded up Flight Sim and was stunned by how great it looked and ran. It defaulted to Ultra settings with a 60FPS cap and did a great job at staying near there. It felt like an entirely different game compared to when I first tried it on an 8700K / 1080TI

The most significant thing is that all of the stutter after loading into games is gone. It's a solid experience throughout. If systems like these are how games are reviewed, its no wonder that average experiences differ so greatly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
There was a grip of ddr5 yesterday at microcenter. Sold out within the hour

Guy I was with cockblocked a guy from buying a fat stack of em since they were technically one per customer lol

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to simply drop in a 5600x to replace my 2600 in my none-too-expensive (but nominally compatible) B450 mATX motherboard?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
edit: ^^^ fairly certain you'll need to do a BIOS update for the Zen 3 processors to work with the B450 chipset motherboards. ^^^
edit2: Ah, gotchya—I'm not tracking any issues like that, but maybe someone smarter than me can answer.

The Grumbles posted:

Hell, on this very page I was singing the praises of the 2200g's Vega 8 APU from over three years ago. Granted, it could also be because I haven't played video games in a few years.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 29, 2021

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

edit: ^^^ fairly certain you'll need to do a BIOS update for the Zen 3 processors to work with the B450 chipset motherboards. ^^^

Oh yeah, seeing that they'd finally made a compatible BIOS available for my particular model is what prompted the question. I was more thinking of whether there was some abstruse power delivery/VRM stuff or the like that would gimp the system.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lost in postation posted:

Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to simply drop in a 5600x to replace my 2600 in my none-too-expensive (but nominally compatible) B450 mATX motherboard?

If you’re absolutely sure it’s compatible, and as long as you update BIOS prior to the switch, then that’s totally fine.

B450 boards that have 5600x compatibility are low though.

Edit: whoops this is wrong see below discussion

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 29, 2021

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
BestBuy flash sale just hit and they've got a 3070 prebuilt up $300 off at $1599. What's the catch? I've got a ton of best buy gift card money (like $750) just sitting around. I'm traveling and not at a spot where I can do a lot of searching on it atm

It's got an i7 and a 1TB SSD, too

E: was able to google some reviews between helping balance a Christmas tree. Oof, cooling

Zodack fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 29, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zodack posted:

BestBuy flash sale just hit and they've got a 3070 prebuilt up $300 off at $1599. What's the catch? I've got a ton of best buy gift card money (like $750) just sitting around. I'm traveling and not at a spot where I can do a lot of searching on it atm

It's got an i7 and a 1TB SSD, too

E: was able to google some reviews between helping balance a Christmas tree. Oof, cooling

dont forget the code

nov22ccsave10

the catch is that msrp is still a lot of money

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you’re absolutely sure it’s compatible, and as long as you update BIOS prior to the switch, then that’s totally fine.

B450 boards that have 5600x compatibility are low though.

I think you're thinking of B350. B450 compatibility with Zen 3 is standard, after a BIOS update.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I think you're thinking of B350. B450 compatibility with Zen 3 is standard, after a BIOS update.

I thought this too but then did googling and no, it's not standard, and seems to be up to the specific manufacturer to enable along with some nebulous process to verify that you have a Zen 3 CPU as it permanently removes support for previous CPU generations to make room for the new BIOS

I would be interested to hear more recent info on it or from anyone who had actually gone through the process

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah see above.

It’s mainly on more premium boards, abs totally up to the manufacturer, and a bit of a shitshow, but can be doable if you’re lucky.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

I thought this too but then did googling and no, it's not standard, and seems to be up to the specific manufacturer to enable along with some nebulous process to verify that you have a Zen 3 CPU as it permanently removes support for previous CPU generations to make room for the new BIOS

I would be interested to hear more recent info on it or from anyone who had actually gone through the process

Things seem to have changed since its initial announcement. The motherboard manufacturers are the ones releasing the BIOS update, not AMD, and those compatibility updates are just sitting on their support sites alongside the regular bios updates. As far as I can tell, support is almost universal.

edit: No really, practically every B450 and X470 board are supported, and there's no special process to getting the BIOS update. I'm having a hard time finding a board that isn't supported. Obviously the OP should double check to be sure, but it's likely there's a simple BIOS update they can download to enable compatibility.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Early in didn’t you need an older chip to flash the new BIOS? I think they would let you borrow one to flash then mail back?

Don’t think that’s needed anymore though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That is still needed if you have a motherboard that was manufactured last year (or earlier), but the OP is still on a 2600, so they can flash the BIOS. CPU-less BIOS flashing exists, but it's a special feature only some motherboards have (the "BIOS Flashback" button)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Early in didn’t you need an older chip to flash the new BIOS? I think they would let you borrow one to flash then mail back?

Don’t think that’s needed anymore though.

That was for b550 and x570 boards as they came out before Zen 3.

edit: No really, practically every B450 and X470 board are supported, and there's no special process to getting the BIOS update. I'm having a hard time finding a board that isn't supported. Obviously the OP should double check to be sure, but it's likely there's a simple BIOS update they can download to enable compatibility.

OK fair enough, I should have trust my first instinct and googled more

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Thanks for the answers! Yeah, rooting around on MSI's support pages I found that most of their 450 boards have BIOS revisions compatible with 5xxx CPUs, but they don't seem very eager to advertise that fact for some reason (and PCPartpicker straight-up doesn't consider them compatible, no warning or anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also you're only missing two Zen 3 related features on B450: PCIe Gen 4 support and Resizable Bar/Smart Access Memory support. Everything else should work as it should. The 5600X isn't a needy CPU, and if your motherboard has been fine with your 2600, then it will more than likely be fine with the 5600X.