Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
its good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I actually enjoyed diamond weapon and Zurvan well enough as fights, but zurvan doesn’t have a cool vocal theme in phase 2 and diamond is set up completely differently than the other weapons.

I didn’t really enjoy seiryu at all, and he didn’t even have a phase transition mini game (for better or worse).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Badger of Basra posted:

Yes but, it is boring

Fighting a gundam on the back of two gundams while dancing between platforms and orbs is pretty fun and cool imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Farg posted:

diamond weapon is a cool fight, people just wanted a second new theme and phase

What is the difference between 'a trial' and 'a raid' if not these things. Diamond Weapon doesn't even get a showy ult like the other b-listers

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Only Phase 1 Ruby and Phase 2 Emerald were any good so I don't mind Diamond only having one phase. Shadowbringers didn't have great trials as a whole.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Fighting a gundam on the back of two gundams while dancing between platforms and orbs is pretty fun and cool imo.

You say this, but I never thought fighting a Gundam on the back of two other Gundams could have such low energy presentation

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WrightOfWay posted:

Only Phase 1 Ruby and Phase 2 Emerald were any good so I don't mind Diamond only having one phase. Shadowbringers didn't have great trials as a whole.

Ruby is fantastic in both phases, wtf are you talking about

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ruby is one of the coolest trials in the game

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's conceptually incredible, which just makes the boring experience of actually playing it all the more disappointing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Begemot posted:

It's conceptually incredible, which just makes the boring experience of actually playing it all the more disappointing.

It's this. Never has a fight made a theoretically cool set up so uninteresting.

Just utterly forgettable mechanics and spectacle.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

It feels like they forgot to put any mechanics in phase 2. Also Rise of the White Raven sucks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

The second phase is very very pretty, it's terminally loving boring and way easier than phase one.

The most difficult mechanic in phase 2 is drudging Turn 9 memories up to remember which AoE Chariot has and which the other has and that will get you once.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Diamond weapon is dull because its song is dull, the new remix is somehow worse than the ones used for ruby and emerald which makes the fight feel very low energy.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I thought all the weapon fights kicked rear end. Only one I don't like doing is emerald EX, but they're all awesome.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like when you have to get knocked to the other platform.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Diamond Weapon not having a second phase is the price of the story

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I wonder if we'll see the convocation fighting against in the major Beasts in an echo flashback.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

considering ex trials are content meant to be farmed, i was frankly glad not to have to put up with another overly long phase transition cutscene in diamond weapon

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There was completely justifiable complaints regarding the mid-fight cutscenes in ShB, but I hope they don't do away with them completely. It's pretty cool the first time or two. Hopefully they'll put something in that skips them, like after the first time in a lockout or am option to auto-skip after everyone in your group's seen it. Also, they let the downtime moves actually work, instead of being completely useless because you're stunned every time you would want to use them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In my perfect world, you can leave the cutscenes in the normal fight. During extreme, let it fade out and cut to the end.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That was my original thought, way back with Eden Prime, but then they had a couple that were Savage only thanks to the extra phases, and honestly that's cool too. (Even if I don't personally do Savage.) Something that lets them do that as well would be nice.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

People making so many excuses for the boring robot smh

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

People making so many excuses for the boring robot smh

haters exit stage left

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If I gave Diamond a second form, it would be 'broken but still fighting', Iron Blooded Orphans-style. But yeah, the third trial in the trilogy always cheaps out, and personally it doesn't bother me too hard.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 29, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Something has to be sacrificed on the altar of a good expansion launch, and people will spend more time in the alliance raids overall so they can't get too neglected

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

personally wouldn't say either zurvan or seiryu "cheaped out" outside of not grabbing a vocalist for their themes

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
zurvan definitely felt pretty slapped together as a fight, skip soar or disband probably would have been able to be foreseen with more testing

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i legitimately didn't remember clearing seiryu ex after i did because the fight doesn't really have much of anything in the way of mechanics to speak of

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I quite liked Seiryu EX personally. The back and forth was fun.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Seiryu EX was actually the only ex trial I cleared when it was current

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/zanarkant/status/1464786552496787461?s=21

This chart is painfully true.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought Seiryu was pretty boring, and it didn't have a mini-game phase transition like the others.

Byakko had ball dodging mechanics in the fight and Suzaku had her simon says emblem thing with the exploding tiles. Seiryu's mechanics were a lot less visually impressive and didn't bring anything new.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

holy sh it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thinking about Rene Zagger saying "En Eff Tee"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Seiryu sucked but tbf basically anything would have after TENZEN PLEASE I BEG OF YOU ALL I WANTED WAS FOR YOU AND I TO....TO YOU NEVER MADE THIS EASY DID YOU! TENZEN MY LOVE PLEASE! while you're doing Death Dance Revolution and getting trolled by the donut hole push or pull.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Seiryu sucked but tbf basically anything would have after TENZEN PLEASE I BEG OF YOU ALL I WANTED WAS FOR YOU AND I TO....TO YOU NEVER MADE THIS EASY DID YOU! TENZEN MY LOVE PLEASE! while you're doing Death Dance Revolution and getting trolled by the donut hole push or pull.

Also "TENZEN SHEATHE YOUR BLADE" is such an incredible accidental (or intentional) innuendo that I just have to applaud.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also "TENZEN SHEATHE YOUR BLADE" is such an incredible accidental (or intentional) innuendo that I just have to applaud.

With Koji there and all of her other lines I think it's intentional.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It all adds up, especially Varis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suzaku has one of my favorite designs in the game and I really wish you could get her outfit off Mogstation or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Gearhead posted:

Therion was, apparently, NOT.

They didn't know where the hell that thing came from, thus its title of 'Enigma.'

quote:

As Amaurot stood upon the precipice of oblivion, Therion was one of many harbingers who would see the world ravaged by flames. Knowing the Amaurotines themselves gave birth to these unspeakable horrors perhaps made them all the more terrible as they ushered in the Final Days.

from the TT card for therion, which afaik are all canon descriptions.

I always viewed therion as a manifestation of the ancient's sense of guilt, that perhaps they HAD done something to deserve this and brought this upon themselves.