Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nuebot posted:

In retrospect I think this series has actually been on a terminal downhill slide ever since deku ate that hair, it's really jumped the shark, you guys.

:hmmyes:

Honestly, I feel like Deku getting rewarded with the best superpower in the world for running at a villain and making a hostage situation worse was terrible, but at least Hori addressed the fact that All Might enabled Deku's worst traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

People were on board because Kaminari actually had a decent amount of interaction with the class. It'd be a big hit to Bakugo, Kirishima, and Jirou if Kaminari was the traitor. Also his power has a LOT of potential. Like you could easily spin him around and make him a top tier threat because there's so much versatility in generic lightning powers.

Hagakure's got no interaction and while invisibility can be used dangerously, she's not a huge threat. Kaminari at least brings something to the table.

Main: Her power isn’t strictly invisibility though, that’s something Hori’s mentioned before. It’s likely just a byproduct of her actual power, which is probably light manipulation or being a living prism, like how Bakugo’s power is explosions but his palms are abnormally tough to facilitate that.

Him being coy about it makes much more sense if it was leading up to the reveal tbh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Last Celebration posted:

Main: Her power isn’t strictly invisibility though, that’s something Hori’s mentioned before. It’s likely just a byproduct of her actual power, which is probably light manipulation or being a living prism, like how Bakugo’s power is explosions but his palms are abnormally tough to facilitate that.

Him being coy about it makes much more sense if it was leading up to the reveal tbh.

Not sure where people are getting that her quirk isn’t Invisibility, because it is. She can just also refract light going through her to do some other stuff.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

God the manga doesn't deserve this much thought but why isn't Deku getting danger sense signals coming off of the traitor? Looking at the wiki for the quirk it should be picking up their intent.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Not sure where people are getting that her quirk isn’t Invisibility, because it is. She can just also refract light going through her to do some other stuff.

Hers is the only one not actually introduced by present mic.

quote:

Toru is the only Class 1-A character whose Quirk has not been formally introduced in the story, despite being always active. Horikoshi has noted this previously, on Volume 2, stating that he has not found the right time for it yet.

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 28, 2021

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Horikoshi once reveal invisible girl's face in a sketch?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Horikoshi once reveal invisible girl's face in a sketch?

that was not her https://www.reddit.com/r/BokuNoHeroAcademia/comments/njae1g/friendly_reminder_that_this_isnt_hagakure_and_is/

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
oops, did not get that memo months ago

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheKingslayer posted:

God the manga doesn't deserve this much thought but why isn't Deku getting danger sense signals coming off of the traitor? Looking at the wiki for the quirk it should be picking up their intent.

in keeping with its inspiration, Danger Sense, like Spidey Sense before it, always fails when required by the plot

It’s not a plot hole, it’s an homage

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TheKingslayer posted:

If Danger Sense does primarily work off of intent then it's possible Hagakure is being blackmailed or otherwise coerced into being the mole, in which case Deku's Danger Sense would have a huge blind spot for someone who is actively working to hurt him but has no desire to do so.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

If Danger Sense does primarily work off of intent then it's possible Hagakure is being blackmailed or otherwise coerced into being the mole, in which case Deku's Danger Sense would have a huge blind spot for someone who is actively working to hurt him but has no desire to do so.

Just because you don't want to do something doesn't take away the fact that it's putting someone in danger. They aren't ignorant of the results of their actions. The intention is still to harm Deku even if they don't feel good about it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like Danger Sense wouldn't pick up something as indirect as giving info to an enemy who may then use it to harm you at some point in the future. I feel that it would need to be more immediate and personal to activate. But now that I think about it, Deku hasn't been around her at all since he got DS so maybe it will just start blaring the second they're together.

Jen X posted:

the little mini-arcs have all been solid-to-good in theory, I think, with the exception of star coming out of nowhere to weaken the bad guy and die

the problem is that we've been moving between them at so rapid a pace that there's no time for the implications of any given event to sink in or really have consequences

the pacing is ruining the impact of a lot of individually alright concepts

The series does trim the fat quite a bit, yeah. I feel like a normal shonen would have had a whole arc of angsty Deku fighting villains before 1-A shows up.

We did have 6 whole chapters of just talking after they bought Deku in though and this recent chapter is entirely about reacting to Star's death. I wouldn't say that we're not spending time to reflect on things, it's more that some things are being abbreviated, like not showing how Deku and co survived AFO's exploding base. We didn't need to see that, we can work out that Deku pulled them out after he sensed the explosion but it definitely does create a feeling of a faster paced story.

It's also that MHA seems to subvert expectations on set up and payoff. Shiggy gets his army and it's set up like they'll be building up in secret for months before attacking, only for the heroes to infiltrate and attack 1 arc later. Deku goes edgy and strikes out alone but gets talked down a few chapters later. Star shows up to help but is intercepted by Shiggy immediately and dies. It's very brisk but I think it works personally.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 28, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xarbala posted:

Most of these complaints have been building for some time, the Star fight is just kind of clumsy, seat-of-your pants storytelling so it's harder for people to muster the effort to defend the story from criticism.

Everything after the hospital battle has felt rushed, even if I do think it's had some strong high moments throughout.

For me it was Mirio just appearing after getting his powers back off screen. That was a symptom of the kind of story we're getting now, where we're being told about things instead of being shown them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

For me it was Mirio just appearing after getting his powers back off screen.

:yeah:

Most of the War Arc did nothing for me, but that was just the moment that just really soured me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Official release: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-335/chapter/23613?action=read

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, whew, we can finally talk about this with no spoilers

It's bad

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Somehow, calling them zygotes is even weirder than calling them unfertilized eggs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Somehow, calling them zygotes is even weirder than calling them unfertilized eggs.

He has however called them zygotes at least once before so it's a consistent weird word.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

All for One calling Dabi a friendless loser is pretty funny though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Naw, I just need to take some good poundings if I ever wanna get harder."

Hori, did your slashfics get mixed in with your scripts again?

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
I'm apparently still a child, because I started laughing hard at Kirishima saying he needed to take some good poundings to get harder.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

Doin' Marvin the Martian proud, Number Six

Main Manga: Given Hori's track record with female characters lately, I at least hope the traitor isn't also buff, because then she's basically doomed

From the silhouette on the last page, Invisible Girl looks noticeably muscular.... :ohdear:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i stopped reading this thread because the discourse sucks but current status is :negative:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I know it'll never happen but I wish this would just get the axe before it can get even worse

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

I know it'll never happen but I wish this would just get the axe before it can get even worse

the catastrophizing itt is hilarious

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've had basically almost no problems with most of the stuff going on and it's weird to see the reaction here.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

She's a nomu, right? That's why her power has never been officially explained.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oh jay posted:

She's a nomu, right? That's why her power has never been officially explained.

it's been all but stated directly that her body refracts light

her hero training, or what very little we've seen of it, lets her control that enough to blind people

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

it's been all but stated directly that her body refracts light

her hero training, or what very little we've seen of it, lets her control that enough to blind people

These are simply 2 of her powers contained within her hideous nomu body. More will be revealed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

These are simply 2 of her powers contained within her shredded, suspiciously toned nomu body. More will be revealed.

Let’s not kid ourselves about Horikoshi

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fabricated posted:

I've had basically almost no problems with most of the stuff going on and it's weird to see the reaction here.

Suggesting that WSJ should Old Yeller the series is what got me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If WSJ old yellered MHA they’d have One Piece and exactly gently caress all else

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They’d have at least one underrated series tbh.

Sakamoto Days is good, read it y’all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

They’d have at least one underrated series tbh.

Sakamoto Days is good, read it y’all.

I think they're talking about from a sales perspective and after Demon Slayer there's no way WSJ is gonna prematurely end one of their cash cows.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Suggesting that WSJ should Old Yeller the series is what got me.

flesnolk is an idiot but one of the jump commenters resonated with me:

quote:

I read MHA first every week so i can get my disappointment out of the way quick.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Let’s not kid ourselves about Horikoshi

I'm sure the only reason he held back on the Woman High End was because he didn't want to overshadow Mirko.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Jen X posted:

the little mini-arcs have all been solid-to-good in theory, I think, with the exception of star coming out of nowhere to weaken the bad guy and die

the problem is that we've been moving between them at so rapid a pace that there's no time for the implications of any given event to sink in or really have consequences

the pacing is ruining the impact of a lot of individually alright concepts

this is basically where im at. i know i came to the defense of the star arc but the last chapter of it really took me out of it, it feels like it was just so blatantly kicking back a timer that had only got set recently, and hasnt really had time since to have any other impact on screen before we quickly moved on. like other people have said it definitely just feels like a list of all the plot points just getting ticked off a checklist. it still looks great and even feels like it gets most of the way to good, but instead it's just a bunch of almosts.

i extremely cant bring myself to care about invisitraitor if that is indeed what's going on, it just feels like another thing that'll happen and quickly get wrapped up with no lasting effects. :shrug:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

oh jay posted:

These are simply 2 of her powers contained within her hideous nomu body. More will be revealed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Could the traitor thing be a sleeper agent type deal, where even they don’t know about it? It might fit better if they had no idea they were set up for being a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"How was I supposed to see that I was the traitor?" Hagakure said.