Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MechaX posted:

*Gets to the main boss of the Demon Castle, the boss is suddenly doing 400+ HP Crit moves and his helpers are doing 300 damage Agidyne's all of a sudden*

what in the gently caress did I miss an entire separate dungeon to level, what is with this spike in damage

On normal I didn't really get the sense that boss was much tougher than anything previously, I knocked him out first try.

Meanwhile here I am in area 4 and whoops, the demon on the map is level 55 but he has a level 65 just randomly joining to one-shot you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I did it on Hard, and that boss was doing significantly more damage than the one after that (well, a little bit, but the two buddies were doing more in Agidyne damage than the max health of some demons and I was around 55-56).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

tbh I'm not a huge fan of the way levels effect damage.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only saving grace is Grimoires are by far the easiest Mitama drop to farm so at the very least you can keep a demon that's really useful on par with you coughcoughIdunncoughcough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Idun is real good but becomes a bit less useful endgame when demons start getting packed in with Luster Candy/Debilitate.

You pretty much get swamped in Grimoires, though.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Idun is real good but becomes a bit less useful endgame when demons start getting packed in with Luster Candy/Debilitate.

You pretty much get swamped in Grimoires, though.

See that's the thing, I'm not at the point where demons have those skills which is exactly why I'm keeping her. :v: (She also has good Mag so she can contribute through Gems. Like seriously they're the second best item in the game after Dampeners)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Luster Candy + Heal is pretty handy even at the endgame tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And with heal pleroma and maxed healing proficiency I found that it was still a full heal even at endgame levels, while having the same MP cost as luster candy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

hmm i lied earlier and i didn't fuse away idun... ugh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What I think is happening with the Level Formula is it takes into account the difference between the levels for damage calculation; given and received. From what I remember of Nocturne the damage calculation was that every level, was equivalent to having one point in STR or MAG, before adding into the Skill multiplier. So V is far more punishing to having a gulf between your level and the enemies.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

How the hell am I supposed to deal with Maria's full heal skill? Is it a scripted thing I just need to power through or is there some mechanic/skill I'm overlooking to counter it?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there a reason the essences contain the unique skills that can't be passed down other than if you want to return that skill to that demon?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have no idea how I'm gonna beat Shiva for the hidden ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Is there a reason the essences contain the unique skills that can't be passed down other than if you want to return that skill to that demon?

That's basically the entire purpose for it. They exist in case you accidentally delete the move and want to get it back without having to build an entirely new demon from scratch

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have no idea how I'm gonna beat Shiva for the hidden ending.

What level are you and what is your build?

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

Zophar posted:

How the hell am I supposed to deal with Maria's full heal skill? Is it a scripted thing I just need to power through or is there some mechanic/skill I'm overlooking to counter it?

I just OTKO'ed her using criticals but I think I may have been a bit overleveled. I assume you went law so you should have some super buff demons to deal with her. Otherwise maybe try for sleep or seal?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

What level are you and what is your build?

I need to find some more Gospels. I sped right through the game this run, and I remember that there was a few to get through sidequests in the first area on my first run, but I don't recall getting any more later on.

Party spoiled just in case.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's five static kushi mitamas in the game that drop gospels. They take forever to respawn, but presumably most of them are up for you by now

There's also two gospels in the Milan rewards

I beat him at level 88 on normal and looking at clear videos, that seemed to be a pretty similar difficulty to 92 on hard. I had to do some fight-specific fusion but with heavy item usage it wasn't too bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder if I should get hell biker back, his unique is pretty good

Unique skills are my main consideration for having demons stick around... I am really disappointed that Black Frost doesn't have the unique Bufula!!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

devs deserve credit for making an rpg in which i'm actually willing to use attack consumables. just beat black rider and like 75% of my damage was from force gems

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wow. Murakumo is... definitely powerful.

I am suspecting this is the true Freikugel of the game, right

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I beat the superboss on level 87 on normal mode, so that’s at least feasible, but assuming you’re playing on hard I’d probably get another five levels somewhere. The bottleneck to that fight is surviving his big AoE attacks through a combinations of stats/buffs/dispelling his defense debuff so if you can pull that off, you at least have a chance.

Other hints for that fight:
-Null phys + fierce roar is an absolute killer combo, which I had on Odin for this fight
-You can leave some of his adds alive. Absolutely kill the snake (Atanta?) ASAP because it can heal Shiva for 5-digit numbers, and the ones that cause status effects can be a pain, but all Ganesha and Parvati do is cast buffs that are easily undone, or hitting nulls and wasting Shiva’s second turn.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think but am not certain that he uses impaler's animus if any add stays alive too long. And that's a really good reason to clear the adds, if I'm right about his behavior

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah he did do that to me but it mostly didn’t kill anyone. Possibly not the best strat if that’s avoidable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I used my "Whittled Goat" on an Abscess miniboss, is that gonna be a problem for later

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I used my "Whittled Goat" on an Abscess miniboss, is that gonna be a problem for later

There's three in treasure chests and they eventually become buyable

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Just hit that part in 3rd Stratum. It... seemed like kind of an obvious puzzle? You'd learned previously to wait for the right directional fan in a row so it didn't feel like a problem. The part right before it, though... gently caress that forever. You get tossed into the air with the camera twirling at 10 fps and then land somewhere that makes it look like you screwed up. Unless you're watching the minimap and realize it's two identical fan sets you wind up in a Groundhog Day scenario for longer than I care to admit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you're explicitly told to use the map to keep your bearings!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

You'd learned previously to wait for the right directional fan in a row so it didn't feel like a problem.

I actually didn't lol, I just ran straight down from the upper area and happened to get blown in the correct direction without realizing there was a second fan that was set up to blow me back, so I had no idea if I had done something right or was in the wrong spot

I picked up on the intended gimmick as the second fan blew me over the wall and had me rerun that poo poo all over again, whoops

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I think but am not certain that he uses impaler's animus if any add stays alive too long. And that's a really good reason to clear the adds, if I'm right about his behavior

I found that trying to kill them all was a fool's errand because he just resummons them so quickly and ends up having three sooner than he did otherwise. Leaving Ganesha alive and killing the others whenever he did summon them worked for me. He did use impaler's animus once but I must have survived somehow.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

There's three in treasure chests and they eventually become buyable

also you can use essences with similar abilities that are "once per fight for free" if you don't mind saccing a passive slot for it, if you can't get any in item form

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I need to find some more Gospels. I sped right through the game this run, and I remember that there was a few to get through sidequests in the first area on my first run, but I don't recall getting any more later on.

Party spoiled just in case.

You want the Ice Arch Angel and Arioch to be in your party with a dedicated supporter to keep everyone going. Also you want to be a higher level and for hunting down Gospels look up the gospel ones with this guide. https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/119...-glory-and-more

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lets hang out posted:

devs deserve credit for making an rpg in which i'm actually willing to use attack consumables. just beat black rider and like 75% of my damage was from force gems

Yeah it's great! On boss fights when my healer doesn't need to do anything for a given turn I just have them throw out a gem to get that extra press turn and do some respectable damage in the process.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Yeah, aside from breaking rods in FFV, this is the most I've used consumable attack items in a game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oh boy I do not like the white on white with a dash of blue aesthetic of this new area.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

Or just consumables in general. I always tried to have as many elemental nulifiers as possible in case things started to go wrong.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I keep falling into the trap of assuming the element a boss/mini-boss focuses on before going Super Saiyan is going to be the one they use during that, and both wasting a Dampener and eating a crit to the face.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i was worried the game was going to be trivialized by just popping dampeners but playing "predict the element" gets much less practical for me as the game went on, especially when the downside is usually losing every non-MC party member

constantly using essences remained really, really powerful though. even though popping spyglass and quitting out of a boss to get the right essences in felt slightly lame.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
SMT games in general are pretty good about encouraging you to use stuff. Outside of something like Somas I will never hesitate to use pretty much anything else the game gives me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

constantly using essences remained really, really powerful though. even though popping spyglass and quitting out of a boss to get the right essences in felt slightly lame.

I just wait for them to kill me then do essences after loading up again. I call this the "recon" or "wasting my own time" method.