Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FreshFeesh posted:

I put in my notice at a job I have disliked and which has been a drain on my mental health for ages.

:yotj:

For 2 weeks, you're invincible.

Also, you don't owe them poo poo so feel free to just bounce at a moments inconvenience.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They'll definitely come up with something to piss you off enough to leave early

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My Da got out of hospital today.
He went in in a rush late on the night of the 5th, with back/chest pains that were increasing over a few hours (he is 77). Emergency doctor called out said they weren't happy with his symptoms, he needed to go to hospital. He got in and was eventually diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. The theory is that clots developed in his lower leg (mangled in a motorbike accident 10 years ago) and migrated to his lungs by the usual method. Anyway, he's on blood-thinners, no stents, no damage detected after scanning every organ they could think of. He's had constant blood-tests and CAT scans of everything they could think of (good insurance)
I came home today to meet him in the front road riding his bike after visiting his coffee shop friends.
He's fine :3:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I had forgotten the voice of my grandfather. I did not know I had, but last night I got back from a digitizing service, a cassette from the early 80s and a video tape form 1988 that had been lying in a cupboard. So I got to see and hear my granddad again for the first time in over 20 years, he was playing with my cousin who was just a baby then, I was 7 in 1988. He had a good hand with kids.

This is a photo of him, he was a dairy farmer, like small time, had 10 cows, a few pigs and hens for their own use. You were able to get by in that day with such a small farm.

I hope he doesn't mind me showing his face to the internet.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For being an old lady, my dog got a clean bill of health at her check up today. A little close to underweight, but she's a tiny enough dog we just need to add a few extra kibbles a day to keep her where she is. She's getting up there in age, so knowing she's still in good shape is great, especially with having to work around a chicken allergy to feed her. Man, you don't realize just how much dog food and treats have chicken in them until you have a dog that can't eat it.

ETA: Bonus picture of a dignified old lady.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Oct 19, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have become an uncle! My sister and her husband elected not to find out the sex, and now we know it's a boy! A round, red little dude with dark hair like her's!

She scheduled a c-section because the baby was breech. It was scheduled at 4:30, but she couldn't get into a room until 5. Then we got a picture of her getting thumbs up in the bed a few minutes later. Then we didn't get an update until after 7, 20 minutes after dad asked if everything was okay, which was a little freaky! But it was fine, the baby had been born at 6 and they just didn't get back to us for a while.

His name is Jett, which I think was the husband's idea. The first idea was Smith, my mother's maiden name and also my middle name, which got some negative feedback from others. Also my youngest sister, despite saying several times she doesn't want kids, had before all this talked about wanting to use it as a quirky masculine-ish name for her hypothetical daughter. This caused more drama than you'd might expect. So they decided to keep the name secret after saying they wouldn't be going with Smith if it was a boy.

They live 3 hours away and COVID means she can only get minimal visitors while she recovers, which sucks, but I'm so excited!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dr Christmas posted:

I have become an uncle! My sister and her husband elected not to find out the sex, and now we know it's a boy! A round, red little dude with dark hair like her's!

She scheduled a c-section because the baby was breech. It was scheduled at 4:30, but she couldn't get into a room until 5. Then we got a picture of her getting thumbs up in the bed a few minutes later. Then we didn't get an update until after 7, 20 minutes after dad asked if everything was okay, which was a little freaky! But it was fine, the baby had been born at 6 and they just didn't get back to us for a while.

His name is Jett, which I think was the husband's idea. The first idea was Smith, my mother's maiden name and also my middle name, which got some negative feedback from others. Also my youngest sister, despite saying several times she doesn't want kids, had before all this talked about wanting to use it as a quirky masculine-ish name for her hypothetical daughter. This caused more drama than you'd might expect. So they decided to keep the name secret after saying they wouldn't be going with Smith if it was a boy.

They live 3 hours away and COVID means she can only get minimal visitors while she recovers, which sucks, but I'm so excited!

congrats amigo!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I had forgotten the voice of my grandfather. I did not know I had, but last night I got back from a digitizing service, a cassette from the early 80s and a video tape form 1988 that had been lying in a cupboard. So I got to see and hear my granddad again for the first time in over 20 years, he was playing with my cousin who was just a baby then, I was 7 in 1988. He had a good hand with kids.

This is a photo of him, he was a dairy farmer, like small time, had 10 cows, a few pigs and hens for their own use. You were able to get by in that day with such a small farm.

I hope he doesn't mind me showing his face to the internet.

This is really cool, congrats on that find.

Last year I found a VHS of my grandpa as well, giving all the kids a hug, and it was a great experience too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got to send my mom some footage of her dad as a young man recently, since I finally bought a digitizer for his 8mm reels I've had in my closet for a decade and a half. That felt nice!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

My Da got out of hospital today.
He went in in a rush late on the night of the 5th, with back/chest pains that were increasing over a few hours (he is 77). Emergency doctor called out said they weren't happy with his symptoms, he needed to go to hospital. He got in and was eventually diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. The theory is that clots developed in his lower leg (mangled in a motorbike accident 10 years ago) and migrated to his lungs by the usual method. Anyway, he's on blood-thinners, no stents, no damage detected after scanning every organ they could think of. He's had constant blood-tests and CAT scans of everything they could think of (good insurance)
I came home today to meet him in the front road riding his bike after visiting his coffee shop friends.
He's fine :3:

I feel like I'm tempting fate by posting this, but its been almost 2 weeks and after having a fecking pulmonary embolism and being in hospital for over a week, my Da is 100% back to normal. I read up on the condition at the time and all the advice post-hospital was " take it easy" "a little light housework for the next few weeks", but he's entirely back to his usual self.
Dude got so so lucky.

^^on grandpa chat, a few years ago a historian contacted us to see if we had any documents about my grandfather, who was an active combatant in the Irish war for independence and civil war, and we gave him his memoirs in handwritten form. The guy got them transcribed and sent us a copy. I've had a bit of a read, and so far the highlight is after a battle, he and his buddies holed up in a pub, drank pretty much everything, and when everything else ran out drank the plum brandy.

At his funeral, a very very old man came up to my mother to give his condolences and to tell us how cool grandad had been. Apparently he had a red sports car with a machine gun mounted on the side.

This was not a side of him any of us was familiar with, it was so weird and awesome.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Oct 25, 2021

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Katamari Democracy posted:

So I had my 90 day progress report on my job today and got a plaque with my name on it at my office. So it's 100% official! I am now staying with this company, and in a few weeks I will be going from hourly to salary. With much better pay and a good chunk of benefits beginning late August. I was even able to get a bonus check from the company today which was...wow. Just Wow.

I was a bit worried about Salary which I was a bit worried about being forced to stay late. My boss is cool and when I talked to him about it he basically said I will still be "Clocking in" to determine if I am still coming in on time and whatnot. But I will not be allowed to work more than 45 hours a week. The performance I have done at work has been more than what my company offered and I have even did some educational document changes that have benefitted the company for the better. Basically I was told that as long as I get my work done, help the team out whenever necessary, and continue doing what I was doing I can still work my 40 hours and keep having financial stability with the company.

But the Salary is about a 200% increase from my hourly wage, and with the benefits it's loving nice. I have successfully been able to adapt, learn, and fit in with my team and they are planning a welcoming party next week.

Another update.

Going to keep this short and sweet. At home Covid test kits that the USA and all around the world is getting nowadays is stamped with my name in terms of Quality. Shared with myself and from my knowledge 20 other people around the world.

I have learned a lot at my job and it has thrown me into something that I never thought possible. And I am not only doing my part for my community but also the world at large.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had a conversation with my CEO today where I told him what about his leadership style was causing problems for me and he said he’d would take it up with his coach to see how he could improve on it. I am cautiously optimistic that things will improve for me on the basis of this. Please let me retain hope.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Another update.

Going to keep this short and sweet. At home Covid test kits that the USA and all around the world is getting nowadays is stamped with my name in terms of Quality. Shared with myself and from my knowledge 20 other people around the world.

I have learned a lot at my job and it has thrown me into something that I never thought possible. And I am not only doing my part for my community but also the world at large.

gently caress yeah. Good work.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I work at a small civil engineering and land surveying company. Back in 2000, we started using a product from Eagle Point software for all of our data reduction and survey calculations. This product was an add on to AutoCAD. Things were great, until Eagle Point ended the product in 2012. Said product worked on AutoCAD 2013. And up until a few days ago, AutoCAD was willing to give us a single 2013 license with our annual renewal. But not this time. I only found out about it the day my 2013 license expired. That day could easily go in the Why was your day lovely? thread.

So last week, I finally had to pull my thumb out of my rear end and learn a new software package from scratch, while field work and calculations were piling up on my desk, with no way to handle them until I could figure out the new software. Much of it was my fault, we have had the new software in our possession for 5 years and were using it for some processes, but not for data reduction. I can be a horrible procrastinator. But after 3 days of making GBS threads bricks, watching Youtube tutorials and reading the manual, I am now the master of Carlson Survey. And it is way better than our 9 year old version of Eagle Point.

I had been worrying about the moment that our old software would crash and burn on me for the past 9 years, so it is a huge relief that the event is now in the past. This is actually the second time this has happened. Back in 1999, we had to abruptly transition from a product called HASP, it ran on HP-UX workstations.

I hope that I am retired by the time the next transition crops up.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just heard the news that, after nearly a year and a half stuck in my parents spare bedroom, I will be moving out in December!

To add to the joy, I will be moving a continent away, to live and teach in Tōno, a small city in NE Japan. To take up a job that was offered to ma and that I accepted in September of last year, (but due to immigration restrictions I had been unable to actually arrive in the country.)

Of course, I haven't got the working visa stamp in my passport yet, and much is the slip betwixt cup and lip. But as per the phone conversation with the recruiter I had earlier today, everything seems good to go.

YAY me, and yay for every single loving centimetre between my new home and my parents house.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just heard the news that, after nearly a year and a half stuck in my parents spare bedroom, I will be moving out in December!
Congratulations! I remember how much you'd wanted to get started in Japan and how frustrating it was to have COVID poo poo all over your plans. Fingers crossed that things continue to proceed apace. I think you'll like it there. :)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hirayuki posted:

Congratulations! I remember how much you'd wanted to get started in Japan and how frustrating it was to have COVID poo poo all over your plans. Fingers crossed that things continue to proceed apace. I think you'll like it there. :)

Thank you. You are very kind to say so.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Guys!!

You guys!!!

I AM 60 DAYS SOBER TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had stretches of 28 and 55 days before, but this is my current record. gently caress you, alcohol. You don't control me anymore.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Guys!!

You guys!!!

Ive had stretches of 28 and 55 days before, but this is my current record. gently caress you, alcohol. You don't control me anymore.

Congratulations!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guys!!

You guys!!!

congratulations, seriously! I know people who were never able to break the habit their entire lives, and it really takes its toll on you as you get older. the ones who were able to break out are living much happier(and longer) lives.

while it's not nearly as big an accomplishment as yours, I've been entirely soda-free for a similar amount of time. I used to drink a ridiculous amount years ago, multiple cans a day, two tall cans at work a day, etc. over the last six months I gradually weaned myself down to one a day, then one every few days, then at one point had immense food poisoning for multiple days which gave me the opportunity to stop altogether. I have half a box of sprite that's been sitting on a shelf for two months now, untouched. I drink mostly water now, and I really feel the physical changes. Less getting up to pee in the middle of sleeping. Less antsiness. Less hunger, especially, I just don't have the desire to eat as much or snack at random times, which is great. I've already lost a few pounds, I imagine I'll lose more as I stay away from soda.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Guys!!

You guys!!!

That rules. You rule. Keep it up!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Guys!!

You guys!!!

:hellyeah:

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
I got to go with rear end'd coworkers to the annual 5k Halloween fun run fundraiser for the local foster care system. I walked 5k and it was fun.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am actually posting this a bit late. But I finally got paid from my previous job that filed for bankruptcy. I missed out on two months worth of paychecks from them and I got it in the end. I would say it is about 7k dollars. I was worried I might get nothing or maybe half of that so it removed a lot of my underlying stress.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I got my kids appointments for COVID vaccinations on Thursday

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

After 6 years stuck in the Midwest far away from my family, mountains, any decent place to hike, and working a several jobs bad enough that I took a deployment to temporarily get away, I just got an offer for a job in western-central Virginia.

Only a few hours from family instead of two days driving, swimming in all the mountains and hiking I could ever want, and the housing market is cheap enough that I can even probably afford to get my own place with a decent yard so I can finally get a dog without feeling bad about leaving them cooped up inside all day.

It’s a raise too, but not important. Mountains, hiking, my own place, and dog!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
on the other hand, Virginia

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

on the other hand, Virginia

Don't care. Dog!

(I'm from VA originally so I'm well aware of her failings. I'm in Iowa right now so at worst it's a lateral move.)

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Nov 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my stepdad died yesterday out of nowhere. just went to sleep and never woke up. curled up peacefully in bed, holding the stuffed animal his daughter sewed for him many many years ago, you couldn't tell he was no longer with us at a glance. it's...devastating, to say the least. especially for mom, who has lost so many friends over the years, not just to death, but other reasons out of her control. She basically only had me, our neighbors, and him left, and he was by far her most important connection in life. I've been incredibly worried about what to do, because she talked to him multiple times a day, every day, and suddenly he's just gone.

so around 10AM today, there was a knock at the door. I hadn't seen her face in probably 20 years, but I recognized her instantly and she just happened to stop by on this day of all days. the mother of one of the kids my mom, who used to run a daycare out of our home, took care of 30 years ago. she came by because she realized that she hadn't seen mom in so long, and she wanted to tell her about what some of the kids she took care of all that time ago are up to. because of my mom, her daughter and another one of the kids at the daycare have been lifelong friends. they're in their 30s now, and have stuck together the whole time, up through school, to and including both getting married and having kids. they live apart, but still talk all the time. and she came by to say, that it's all because of my mom, and to thank her for that. to thank her for connecting her kid with the other kid, and connecting her to that kid's mom, who she has also been friends with to this day.

we sat and talked for hours and hours, almost 4 hours I think. they exchanged contact info, and she's going to let as many people as she can know to get in touch with mom.

I'm not necessarily a religious person, but this was unbelievably heaven-sent. last night I was laying in bed, speaking to the darkness, asking my stepdad if he's still around to please, please continue to watch over her and keep her safe. is it all a coincidence? probably. does it matter? not really. we were aimless this morning, and now, well, I don't want to say we're quite HAPPY like nothing is wrong, but it certainly lifted our spirits in a way that I didn't think we could have the day after losing him. her coming over and just plain stating "you are the reason we are still connected all these years later and we love you for that" was just...so important for mom to hear. I am so glad she stopped by.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I spent half an hour doing cardio at the gym (impressive for my morbidly obese rear end) and I'm 70 days sober.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I spent half an hour doing cardio at the gym (impressive for my morbidly obese rear end) and I'm 70 days sober.

You're loving killing it and you're nowhere near the best you can do, but you'll get there! gently caress yeah.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I've got a few recent posts in the "why your day was lovely" thread and thought I'd balance it out.

My wife just gave birth to a healthy baby boy! Day three at home now and I'm terrified and excited and just having bub around has done loads for my mental health.

He's perfect my goons and I hope you're having a good day as well.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cocaine Bear posted:

You're loving killing it and you're nowhere near the best you can do, but you'll get there! gently caress yeah.

73 now!

Abongination posted:

I've got a few recent posts in the "why your day was lovely" thread and thought I'd balance it out.

My wife just gave birth to a healthy baby boy! Day three at home now and I'm terrified and excited and just having bub around has done loads for my mental health.

He's perfect my goons and I hope you're having a good day as well.

Congrats, dude! I remember bringing all 3 of mine home. Parenting is the most terrifying, awesome, stressful, rewarding thing you'll ever do.

Please take this advice from someone who's been a parent for 13 years: You. Are. Doing. Fine.

There are going to be times where you think you're a terrible parent and you're doing a poo poo job. You're not. You're going to make mistakes, and you need to forgive yourself for them. EVERYONE makes mistakes. As long as you love him and make a good faith effort to be the best parent you can be, you're killing it. All you have to do is love him and care for him the best you can, and you'll be fine.

BigBallChunkyTime has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Nov 12, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

gently caress yeah. Rules so hard. Keep going, you got this!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Effective monday I am now a Manager.

Got a big boost in pay.

This was me months ago:

God works in mysterious ways. I got my DOT card and because it took me long I got turned down from the job.

I did; get an interview with a medical Logistics company. And I got accepted into the job today. My first official day will be this Thursday.

I applied for a job out of my loving league and I pretty much nailed the interview and the job. I can loving do ANYTHING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcreG-bhRRA

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My congratulations on the pay raise.

My condolences on becoming management and now becoming an enemy of the working class

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

oldpainless posted:

My congratulations on the pay raise.

My condolences on becoming management and now becoming an enemy of the working class

Hah. Well its a good thing I have a team that I respect! My workplace is a lot different than any previous job I have had before this one. But I know what you mean. I try not to be my old managers and bosses in my past and thanks to the laid back environment of the job (Its still stressful due to it being medical) its a lot easier than expected. Because I was a coordinator and pretty much nailed that role before I was hired on full time; I can still be a coordinator while having management duties, Gemba walks, and having two people in my office team that has been super helpful and successful in our goals so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got my booster last night. that's great! but I feel miserable today, as expected. so while I'm sitting here explicitly doing absolutely nothing to prevent the achiness from getting worse, I decided to do something about my tab hoarding tendency. new youtube videos come out, I open up all the new ones I'm interested in in a tab, and invariably don't get to all of them, which then get buried under the next day's deluge. this continued for many months until I one day noticed I had nearly 600 open tabs spanning back to the start of the year. so I simply put all the youtube videos I hadn't watched yet into a playlist to watch later and closed their open tabs, read various articles, tweets, etc that I had opened but not read, and closed those, bookmarked sites I wanted to keep available but not use right at the moment, and finally came out the other side with 45 open tabs total. feels good and I'm sure things will run much smoother now to boot.

it's amazing how that sort of thing can get away from you without even noticing. it's easy when it's a physical thing but digital hoarding can get ridiculously out of hand completely invisibly.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

May I suggest pocket for your articles that you wish to read but not right now. Saves having a million tabs open and they've even got a handy app for your phone that allows you to read everything in the one spot if you're not at your computer to read things. This way you've streamlined your list of things that you're ignoring into one spot like me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh I didn't have many articles, it was mostly youtube/twitch videos. often long streams someone did, that sort of thing, stuff I can watch at work during down times.

twitch even did some of the work for me by deleting VODs after 3 months so they can never be watched again :negative: