Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m just saying it gives a similar vibe.

https://twitter.com/superultra64/status/1465072900743081990?s=21

I just played through The Chasm a few weeks ago and I didn’t think it was that bad. Maybe it’s because I was playing on controller, I think I would have found it much more annoying with WASD and no analog movement.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not saying doom64's soundtrack was ambient industrial, I know it's not (as someone who has made ambient industrial music), but it's definitely moody and atmospheric, as Quake's is. Compare it against doom's or doom2's MIDI knockoffs of Slayer, DRI, and Metallica riffs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Chasm's fame came from people still not having experience with FPS in general in 1994, and playing only with keyboard, using alt to strafe, etc. Now it's ok.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Chasm still sucks due to needing an obfuscated teleporter to progress

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Doom 2 levels turn into kind of a fart at around 10 or so.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Overbite posted:

Doom 2 levels turn into kind of a fart at around 10 or so.

What? O of destruction is perfectly fine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was expecting the worse from how people talk about them on my first playthrough but I didn’t mind the middle part of Doom 2. Sandy’s levels have problems but I think he did an okay job all things considered.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Chasm is a flawed map and certainly one of Doom II's weaker offerings, but I don't hate it. Sandy's maps tend to be interesting concepts but are almost invariably ugly bastards when he's the only one behind their creation.

Speaking of ugly, and on the topic of Doom 64, mapping for that game is an absolute pig at the best of times and it's easy to forget just how much of its appearance is carried by sector/line colouring until you're staring at the editor and the wide range of similar-looking desturated stone/sand/metal textures on offer.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A.o.D. posted:

I'll just settle for bitching about that awful loving reverb filter Doom64 slaps on every sound effect. God I hate the sound in D64 so much.
This is why I can never stand to play Doom 64 or even PSX Doom. Swapping out the classic Doom sound effects does violence to my soul.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The best Doom 64 is the megawad that ports its maps to Doom II.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The first bit of Doom 2 is the weakest to me. American McGee could make some clean and tidy looking maps but they mostly weren't very interesting to play. The Waste Tunnels and The Crusher are such a drag.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like Doom 64 but only the Hell levels.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Volte posted:

The first bit of Doom 2 is the weakest to me. American McGee could make some clean and tidy looking maps but they mostly weren't very interesting to play. The Waste Tunnels and The Crusher are such a drag.

Back when I'd be downloading gameplay mods every other day, I'd often stop playing properly by the time I got to The Waste Tunnels and instead just IDFA around the place to see what the weapons were. The Pit was where I absolutely drew the line though. For some reason I just found that map horribly boring after Tricks And Traps, and even today I think "eeehhh" when I invariably wind up getting to it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

What? O of destruction is perfectly fine.

One of the best levels, in fact.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Y'all don't like The Factory?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Doom's engine doesn't really excel at recreating real-world places the way build does.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Doom's engine doesn't really excel at recreating real-world places the way build does.

Not at all but it’s adorable when they try.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
All levels can be redeemed by the correct BGM, so I think The Pit turns out ok

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

A.o.D. posted:

I'll just settle for bitching about that awful loving reverb filter Doom64 slaps on every sound effect. God I hate the sound in D64 so much.

Doom 64's sound effects themselves don't have reverb, what's going on is Doom 64 has sound environments which are typically big or small reverb areas. It initially came from PSX Doom.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My favourite doom2 level is the one where you shoot all the demons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My least favorite Doom 2 level is Icon of Sin. What a dumb boss level. I’d take a circle strafing fest over that any day.

Looking forward to seeing TNT: Evilution and Plutonia’s take on it soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

My least favorite Doom 2 level is Icon of Sin. What a dumb boss level. I’d take a circle strafing fest over that any day.

Looking forward to seeing TNT: Evilution and Plutonia’s take on it soon.

the tnt one is boring and the plutonia one is okay just because it gives you so much to deal with you can't possibly control the situation and have to just yolo it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doom 64 looks amazing and I'm thinking about replaying it on my new OLED Switch so I can enjoy the colors even harder

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
In my revisit last year, The Chasm is hands down the best level in Doom 2, and easily the best Sandy map, even counting the inescapable final toxic pit with lost soul ambush.

Unlike most Sandy levels, it's actually visually detailed & coherent, has a great sense of mystery, doing the heavylifting to strengthen Doom 2's theme, suggesting the new hell you see is a series of colossal caves where demons rapidly industrialize themselves and experiment with human technologies.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Industria dev:
https://twitter.com/fahlwart/status/1458022353057763329

edit: the game needed four more months in the oven, it was buggy at release. It also needs a fairly good computer, which maybe at odds for the public that the game is geared towards.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 30, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Industria dev:

edit: the game needed four more months in the oven, it was buggy at release. It also needs a fairly good computer, which maybe at odds for the public that the game is geared towards.

Hopefully the console release can help, it looks amazing.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
I rather enjoyed this article today covering the development of Ion Storm's Anachronox. Figured this thread might like it because it touches on a few related points about Ion Storm and Daikatana, Tom Hall leaving iD, and so on.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

boof posted:

I rather enjoyed this article today covering the development of Ion Storm's Anachronox. Figured this thread might like it because it touches on a few related points about Ion Storm and Daikatana, Tom Hall leaving iD, and so on.

Nice. A feel good message even in the clusterfuck that was Ion Storm.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Industria dev:

I don’t get why indie developers are so willing to spend 5 years making a game for free. Is it too hard to make games as a side gig? Like some bands I like didn’t quit their day jobs until they had enough success to properly fund their work.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mill Village posted:

Is it too hard to make games as a side gig?

Yes. I mean you said it yourself, it takes them 5 years to make a game. Now imagine doing that in addition to having a day job. How long do you think it's going to take to finish that project?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mill Village posted:

I don’t get why indie developers are so willing to spend 5 years making a game for free. Is it too hard to make games as a side gig? Like some bands I like didn’t quit their day jobs until they had enough success to properly fund their work.

It would be working two jobs. I am a developer by trade and do some hobby coding too, but coding in the evening or weekends kind of sucks so I make glacier progress on anything.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eu45yGPRbA

Here's a cool video essay on Thatcher, her Techbase and just neoliberalism.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The tweet also complains of the conversion rate between Wishlists and sales. I think if you want to have a higher conversion rate, well, then the game has to score better. It has 79% positive on Steam. Far away from Dusk 98%, Amid Evil and Nightmare Reaper 96%, Ion Fury 90%, or even Wrath Aeon of Ruin has a 86% (before it was around 90%, but after the delays it has trended downwards).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Dominuz/status/1465597881746923523

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turin Turambar posted:

The tweet also complains of the conversion rate between Wishlists and sales. I think if you want to have a higher conversion rate, well, then the game has to score better. It has 79% positive on Steam. Far away from Dusk 98%, Amid Evil and Nightmare Reaper 96%, Ion Fury 90%, or even Wrath Aeon of Ruin has a 86% (before it was around 90%, but after the delays it has trended downwards).

I mean…I follow a retro FPS mega thread and I’ve never heard of his game, and googling it doesn’t show me anything I’d want to play either. Seems more like a lovely late oughts source shooter?

Like idk, independent game development is obviously rough and for every giant success there’s a hundred guys who broke their backs making a game for peanuts. But if you want “sustainability” then i feel like it’s more important to find a sympathetic audience first and focus on getting the product to them, rather than just shooting your shot. That’s why the “retro shooter” thing took off, because someone realized there were a bunch of people out there still playing Doom and Quake who could still be effectively sold new games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I pretty much exclusively put games into my wishlist so I can get notified if they go on sale, at which point I may buy it. Otherwise I'd just buy it outright. Expecting that presence in someone's wishlist will translate into sales within any particular timeframe seems naive.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, Dusk had hype build-up around its beta for a year before its Early Access, where it made quick and smooth progress before it fully released to even more hype. Amid Evil had coverage from middle-to-big Youtube channels and looks gorgeous in action. Dave Oshry understands cheap marketing well. Ion Fury is a similar deal. I don't know how Wrath and Nightmare are doing sales-wise, but they're both still in early access and have good buzz.

I only just heard of Industria now, and I have piles of obscure and not-obscure hardcore FPS games in my wishlist. I don't remember seeing it covered by channels like Civvie, LGR, or GMan. The only channel I see that properly covered the final product was Jarek. Looking at the game's Steam page, the videos are all environmental shots with the occasional two second, 15fps clip of a robot getting shot. It's possible it could be a great game and I think it looks interesting, but if you throw in all of what I just said then you can't expect a sales bonanza.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

skasion posted:

I mean…I follow a retro FPS mega thread and I’ve never heard of his game, and googling it doesn’t show me anything I’d want to play either. Seems more like a lovely late oughts source shooter?

It isn't bad, actually pretty decent at places, and we referred to it in this thread a pair of times.

But game development is a cutthroat business, with all the competition there is, you need to make a really good game (>90% score) to reach the 'sustainable' status he mentions. That's the minimum. Once you have that, you may have more or less success depending of how good you are at marketing, how niche or mainstream if your idea, etc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Turin Turambar posted:

Well that and honestly it needs to get put on sale frequently and at a heavy discount, with how good many of the classic games in this genre like Doom 1/2/64 or Quake 1 are and how cheaply most of them are sold for even before Steam sales it's honestly hard to justify spending more than maybe 10 to 12 bucks tops on any modern made "Boomer Shooter" without feeling like you're getting ripped off a little even if it's one of the top tier examples like DUSK, Amid Evil, or Prodeus

Volte posted:

I pretty much exclusively put games into my wishlist so I can get notified if they go on sale, at which point I may buy it. Otherwise I'd just buy it outright. Expecting that presence in someone's wishlist will translate into sales within any particular timeframe seems naive.

Exactly, particularly since dropping into a game at full price at launch is often a foolhardy thing to do these days except maybe for certain multiplayer offerings where the offset for paying full price and dealing with at-launch bugs is experiencing the game at what will probably be it's largest player base size unless it pulls a Fortnite down the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Game development is hard, but it's even harder if you don't know how to market and sell your thing, no matter how gross selling your work makes you feel. I've not heard of Industria before, so I suspect that's where they're falling down.

In other news, here's Civvie's new video on Fallout 76.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HsQM3judrE