Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Love it, I managed to quote you instead of two posts above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Where does Coily fit into God's plan for us?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of that short, I seem to remember them making jokes about that even in the Comedy Central days. Out of curiosity, is there any other movie/short you can think of that they referenced BEFORE they actually did it on the show itself?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Larryb posted:

Speaking of that short, I seem to remember them making jokes about that even in the Comedy Central days. Out of curiosity, is there any other movie/short you can think of that they referenced BEFORE they actually did it on the show itself?

Crow mentioned the Beast of Yucca Flats in the Brain That Wouldn't Die.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Beast of Yucca Flats comes up when the bots are training Mike during the Brain that Wouldn't Die.

Edit: Curses, beaten.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TL posted:

Yeah, I thought of that one right after I posted (also I disagree with Crow’s statement there, Brain That Wouldn't Die was much more coherent than Yucca Flats). Were there any others out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 28, 2021

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t remember which episode, but they mentioned Marooned in an episode at some point before they riffed it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/JElvisWeinstein/status/1464998548131377152?s=20

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Larryb posted:

They watched "A Case of Spring Fever" during the third season but for some reason decided not to do it on the show. However they were so taken by Coily that he inspired Crow's character Willy the Waffle, who appeared in Viking Women & the Sea Serpent and Bride of the Monster.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

They watched "A Case of Spring Fever" during the third season but for some reason decided not to do it on the show. However they were so taken by Coily that he inspired Crow's character Willy the Waffle, who appeared in Viking Women & the Sea Serpent and Bride of the Monster.

Huh, what made them change their minds when the Sci-Fi era came around then?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

TL posted:

They also mentioned Night of the Lepus, which didn’t show up until Rifftrax did it.

Also on a couple of earlier topics, Rifftrax also did Play Safe, which is about kids getting electrocuted and narrated by a pair of cartoon birds. It was paired with their live riff of Dr. Who: The Five Doctors, but got released separately since I guess they don’t have the rights to release the whole show as a VOD.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

They also mentioned Night of the Lepus, which didn’t show up until Rifftrax did it.

I believe they mentioned it in Mike's first episode as host

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Writer and artist Josh Way, who has a couple of Rifftrax credits, riffs educational as well as animated shorts on his YouTube channel. The old Lone Danger series is hilarious.

https://m.youtube.com/user/romeorhino

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Night of the Lepus is such a well-known bad movie that my parents would reference it when I was a kid. It's an easy offhanded reference for a show like MST3K

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going by the new live show Emily has her own theme now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I just realized we might have as many as four theme song variants this year (Jonah, Emily and Joel and maybe a combined one for Christmas Dragon)

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Larryb posted:

Huh, what made them change their minds when the Sci-Fi era came around then?

I think they just couldn't get the rights until the Sci-Fi era.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did they ever say who the third person was, or is Joel just a very reasonable guess?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mokinokaro posted:

I just realized we might have as many as four theme song variants this year (Jonah, Emily and Joel and maybe a combined one for Christmas Dragon)

Is Joel gonna be a host for some of these?!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Morter posted:

Yeah, they mentioned it during the campaign. I think it's a three-way split, but I might be misremembering.

\/That makes sense\/

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 29, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Morter posted:

Yes, it was a Kickstarter stretch goal. I believe it breaks down to 5 Jonah episodes, 5 Emily episodes, 2 Joel episodes, and then all three for the Christmas episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else been to the new live show yet? The movie, Making Contact, is straight up bonkers and the riffing is good. There's also a fun scene where they actually edit the movie, the premise of the tour is that Mega Synthia is sending Emily and the bots back in time to 1989 when MST3K first aired and at one point they overshoot it landing in the 20s. Which leads to them throwing back to the movie as a silent film for like 20 seconds before it gets "fixed"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else been to the new live show yet? The movie, Making Contact, is straight up bonkers and the riffing is good. There's also a fun scene where they actually edit the movie, the premise of the tour is that Mega Synthia is sending Emily and the bots back in time to 1989 when MST3K first aired and at one point they overshoot it landing in the 20s. Which leads to them throwing back to the movie as a silent film for like 20 seconds before it gets "fixed"

Were you at the show tonight? I also liked the bit where they paused the movie so they could fit in more burger jokes

and why was there a substitute playing Crow? did somebody get covid?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw it a few weeks ago. Is this the first full episode with Emily? She’s got a great sensibility for the show and I like that they seem to be leaning into her character having several barely concealed neuroses and bad strategies for coping with them, which seems like it could make for some good bits. Making Contact is bananas. There’s so much copyright infringement! Darth Vader shows up and uses a lightsaber, but nobody can call him by his name. Props to the writers for not doing a single Trumpy reference with all the flying poo poo in the kid’s room.

The one kid’s inexplicable Garfield “America” shirt reminded me of Troll 2, which as I recall features a Garfield “USA” shirt when the sister is dancing in front of the mirror. I guess Garfield was a major component of American soft power abroad.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Props to the writers for not doing a single Trumpy reference with all the flying poo poo in the kid’s room.

that first bedroom scene was straight out of Pod People!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I saw it a few weeks ago. Is this the first full episode with Emily? She’s got a great sensibility for the show and I like that they seem to be leaning into her character having several barely concealed neuroses and bad strategies for coping with them, which seems like it could make for some good bits. Making Contact is bananas. There’s so much copyright infringement! Darth Vader shows up and uses a lightsaber, but nobody can call him by his name. Props to the writers for not doing a single Trumpy reference with all the flying poo poo in the kid’s room.

The one kid’s inexplicable Garfield “America” shirt reminded me of Troll 2, which as I recall features a Garfield “USA” shirt when the sister is dancing in front of the mirror. I guess Garfield was a major component of American soft power abroad.

There’s at least one short they did with Emily last year, and she did their Social Distancing Riff Along last year, where they rewatched Moon Zero Two and had Emily and the Bots adding additional riffs as they watched. She’s really, really funny and a great addition to the show.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

muscles like this! posted:

Breadallelogram posted:

Were you at the show tonight? I also liked the bit where they paused the movie so they could fit in more burger jokes

and why was there a substitute playing Crow? did somebody get covid?

Yeah both those things happened and I loved them.

In Cincinnati, a terrible glitch happened where the audio was repeating itself 5 seconds later. Or rather, there was a second audio track 5 seconds before the actual video/audio combined. So people would say things, then you'd hear them again a few seconds later along with seeing them. It was really trippy and surreal, and it took like 15+ minutes before anyone reacted to it--seemingly off script. Then there was a bit of an interlude and they fixed it.

Crow made an amazing joke, again I think unscripted because I'm not under the impression that glitch was intentional.

Crow: (After the teacher was talking) At least he's not saying it twice! ... (10 seconds later) ... At least he's not saying it twice!

Brought down the house. :roflolmao:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wonder how they're going to explain Joel being back in space in the new episodes, considering one of the only bits of plot continuity they actually cared about was Joel's escape.

Although if they go for the season 12 option (nobody cares how Jonah survived the previous cliffhanger and won't let him explain), that works too.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 29, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wonder how they're going to explain Joel being back in space in the new episodes, considering one of the only bits of plot continuity they actually cared about was Joel's escape.

Although if they go for the season 12 option (nobody cares how Jonah survived the previous cliffhanger and won't let him explain), that works too.

Maybe it'll be revealed that the Forresters bought/own the hot fish shop Joel was managing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Joel will be one of the mads

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So do we know if Kinga and Max will be returning as the Mads of the series?

Also, is the website this is going to be streaming on available yet?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

I Am Fowl posted:

Night of the Lepus is such a well-known bad movie that my parents would reference it when I was a kid. It's an easy offhanded reference for a show like MST3K

Ditto for my family. That, and Hell Comes to Frogtown.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Larryb posted:

yeah Patton and Felicia tweeted photos of them in their costumes

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

1. Kinga and Max are definitely returning. They just wrapped up filming their parts.

2. The Gizmoplex isn't up yet. I would expect it before the premiere though for testing purposes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

1. Kinga and Max are definitely returning. They just wrapped up filming their parts.

2. The Gizmoplex isn't up yet. I would expect it before the premiere though for testing purposes.

Nice, I assume this service requires a paid membership right?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Larryb posted:

Nice, I assume this service requires a paid membership right?
https://kickstarter.mst3k.com/season13

Yup, $85 if you weren't part of the kickstarter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Murdstone posted:

https://kickstarter.mst3k.com/season13

Yup, $85 if you weren't part of the kickstarter.

Seems a bit steep, have they said anything about plans to release this season on DVD/BD later like the other two were?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Maybe Joel will be involved in a time travel plot

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Larryb posted:

Seems a bit steep, have they said anything about plans to release this season on DVD/BD later like the other two were?
If I remember right, one of the rewards was DVDs/BDs of the season, so I think it's safe to assume they will release the season for sale in a year or so.

What were the old sets when they first came out, ~$45 for 4 episodes? If you think about it like that it's not a terrible deal, but yeah for just MST episodes it's an investment.

Edit: Being good with money I spent a couple hundred on this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Larryb posted:

$85 is for 13 episodes and 12 shorts which if you go by what Rifftrax charges for similar items is a pretty good price.