Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MadJackal posted:

I'm going to write the most insufferable line about this reboot humanly possible in order to explain episode 9:

Jazz is sometimes about the notes you don't play, and every single newly added note incorporated into Spike and Viscous' tune was flat and uninspired.

Pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
So grens in it, but they dont do jupiter jazz

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
More Dutch angles, I say! More!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SolarFire2 posted:

Kenneth Branagh I didn't know you post here

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

SolarFire2 posted:

Agreed, also the show should be darker I could almost see some of the scenes

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A good thing about the Netflix version is it inspired me to revisit the original. drat it's still good, holds up better than I remembered even. I'm ten episodes in, I'd say Waltz for Venus has been my favorite so far. They do such a good job telling tight twenty minute stories that hit just the right genre notes.

Ballad of Fallen Angels was also great, and really highlights how you don't need to make Vicious a Real Character. He's a force of nature. He might as well be just Spike's subconscious memory of his past, that's his entire role.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finished the live action. It was fine. It’s not the anime and that’s OK. 7.5/10

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Is it me or did the Pierrot Le Fou episode look significantly cheaper than the rest of them? Like it was the first thing they shot.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

SolarFire2 posted:

Is it me or did the Pierrot Le Fou episode look significantly cheaper than the rest of them? Like it was the first thing they shot.

yeah it had this weird look and texture that reminded me of the Dr. Forrester parts of mst3k.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i just finished this yesterday. and i really enjoyed it with a few caveats

1. its not as good as the anime and i never expected it to be cause that was always a very high bar to clear so lets get that out of the way

2. the best cast choices were Ein and Jet, in that order. everyone else ranged from "fine i guess" to "pretty good" with John Cho being the latter. He may not have been the best choice for Spike but i've aways liked John Cho and i liked him here, even if he felt different from the anime. Same with Faye I suppose. One of the best acted scenes imo was actually Faye watching her home video on vhs and tearing up

3. how many loving dutch camera angles do we need? Look we know your edgy, i get it, now rotate the drat camera

4. And this is the one that gets me the most is that the best parts of the original and remake were Jet/Spike/Faye doing their bounty hunter thing. You know how when you watched the x-files and the best episodes were always monster of the week and whenever you saw cigarette smoking man you groaned cause it was gonna be an hour long circle jerk of conspiracy theories? Well same thing here. I appreciate how they expanded Vicious and Julia's storyline and did a lot more with the characters but honestly they could have gotten half the screen time they did for the same effect, and we could have gotten more time with the bebop crew chasing down killer clowns, eco-terrorists, drug smugglers, whatever and the show would have been far better for it.

5. And to follow up to that point, the end of season 1 sets up a season 2 where the bounty hunting is going to be even less prevelant cause now they gotta find a reason for faye, spike and jet to get back together and dear god please leave radical Ed as a tertiary character at best

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 28, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Since they’re going in totally new directions I kinda hope they do just kill Vicious and have Spike survive that encounter because then they won’t be constrained to shoehorn in the end when tbqh it would be extremely embarrassing for the show if Spike ultimately snuffed it due to a fight with this whiny pissboy Vicious. Otherwise the entire thing is chained to the plodding weight of the inevitable.

I really hope next season Spike is over his Julia obsession because if he’s still pining for her that’s just sad. Since it looks like next season is going to be the plot of the film stretched over a buncha episodes I’m guessing they’ll bring in Electra to serve as love interest. Wouldn’t mind that. I love the kind of woman that can kick Spike’s rear end.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Feel bad for Pierrot le Fou :smith:.

I've made peace with Vicious as a b-movie villain chewing up the scenes. Or maybe his scenes in the later half are just better. Either way, actually enjoying him in ep 8 and 9.

edit: just finished it. Huh. The Julia twist is weird. Was there any hints that she was trying to usurp the Syndicate? It feels like it just kind of came out of nowhere.

Hope they get a second season. Agree w/ whoever mentioned they should have done more monster-of-the-week bounty episodes.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 28, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

The World Inferno posted:

Feel bad for Pierrot le Fou :smith:.

I've made peace with Vicious as a b-movie villain chewing up the scenes. Or maybe his scenes in the later half are just better. Either way, actually enjoying him in ep 8 and 9.

edit: just finished it. Huh. The Julia twist is weird. Was there any hints that she was trying to usurp the Syndicate? It feels like it just kind of came out of nowhere.

Hope they get a second season. Agree w/ whoever mentioned they should have done more monster-of-the-week bounty episodes.

what’s really odd is how they took Vicious’s take-over-the-syndicate subplot which played out over episodes 5, 12, 13, 25, and 26 and crammed them all into the same timeframe as Spike arriving at episode 5. So they’re in uncharted waters now; Vicious has done pretty much everything he did in the anime except die. I kinda hope they do just off him quickly at the start of season two, put the poor lad out of his misery.

They’d been vaguely gesturing towards Julia not being happy I suppose. There was some poo poo with her and Mao but at that point I mentally checked out of the Vicious subplot.

I think the main element from the anime that’s missing is the syndicate systematically murdering all ex members and associates (as seen in anime episode 25) so I suppose the next step narratively would be for Julia to order this but believing she’d been plotting taking over the syndicate, like, okay. But believing she’s down with murdering Ana, Gren, et al is a huge stretch. So I’ll be curious to see if they go down that road.

I have a hard time believing she’s ready to be head of the syndicate when it appears she missed a point blank shot at Spike. I guess the intention is she missed fatally shooting him on purpose? She shoulda just shoved him out the window. (and he should have chucked a grenade while being defenestrated but that’s neither here nor there.)

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I'm thinking it's because everyone justifiably checked out every time they were on screen, but I thought it was pretty obvious that Julia planted the seeds for the coup because she no longer felt safe relying on Vicious and the only way she could escape his wrath was by taking it over herself.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Scorched Spitz posted:

I'm thinking it's because everyone justifiably checked out every time they were on screen, but I thought it was pretty obvious that Julia planted the seeds for the coup because she no longer felt safe relying on Vicious and the only way she could escape his wrath was by taking it over herself.

Pretty much my take as well. Pretty much every time Julia has ever talked about her motivations it's been in terms of doing what she feels is necessary to keep herself safe. Eventually she concluded that in order to not be under Vicious' thumb (or to spend the rest of her life permanently on the run), she needed to be the one in charge, and everything else flowed from that. While I can't say I like the execution, the basic idea's pretty OK IMO.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Episode 9 really, really blows.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Young Spike was hot, otherwise no redeeming qualities

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The ending made some very bad choices.

This show was watchable when it was the three main characters together doing playfully modified versions of original bebop episodes. Everything about the Julia/Vicious plot line was awful, and took up way too much of the show’s runtime (recall that this plot line in the anime boiled down to, basically, five episodes and the cold open to the first episode). Thus, this show ends basically as far away from where it needs to be as it could possibly get.

I didn’t think the last thirty seconds were that bad though.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I thought episode 9 was fine I just wanted less of Julia/Viscious in every other episode.

Ok well 10 was understandable too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Cowboy Bebop: I don't get where the hate is coming from? No, the haters were right.
https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1462097384935206926
https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1462097933864734726
https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1462787569394016260

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They even changed Ein's backstory for the worse! And Ein's a loving dog!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Episode 7 feel like the best case scenario for what they're going for: remaking the anime as an endearingly chintzy sci-fi show.
It's the best iteration of the adapted versions of their characters (aside of all the Vicious and Julia stuff, which is the weakest aspect of the series).

I could watch more of a tightened-up version of that show.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
whichever episode had the eco-terrorists was probably my favorite, with Jet's detective story being a very close 2nd

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Watching this the first episode felt the strangest, I think because it being the first and getting acclimated to the live-action version of these characters, and in retrospect I think the first episode followed the original anime episode more closely than all the others making direct comparisons forefront in my mind. Once it started being more loose with the source I enjoyed it a lot more and I think the main actors did pretty well, Jet being a standout to me. I loved that when they went bowling he had a bowling shirt on.

I think it's harder to judge this show on its own merits because it's a tv show adapted from another tv show, a show that was great and loved, and this version wouldn't necessarily have the leeway with the material adapting from a book two different productions would've been. That's how I thought about it after a few episodes, the anime and the live action being different adaptations of the same source and enjoying the live action on its own merits.

It was good, though I think Julia in the end could've been foreshadowed better and I did like seeing more of Vicious, his actor did a good job. I hope there's a season 2, mostly because I want an episode with Cowboy Andy pissing Spike off.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think all that's why I really hope they still go for a second season. This is ok as is imo, but I'd only recommend it with a bunch of disclaimers. With some tweaks could drop those and just say 'check it out'.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Pretty much my take as well. Pretty much every time Julia has ever talked about her motivations it's been in terms of doing what she feels is necessary to keep herself safe. Eventually she concluded that in order to not be under Vicious' thumb (or to spend the rest of her life permanently on the run), she needed to be the one in charge, and everything else flowed from that. While I can't say I like the execution, the basic idea's pretty OK IMO.

Yeah, that all tracks. I guess what bugs me is that I don't recall seeing hints that she wanted to run a drug cartel, or had the skills to do so. Like, she's not just doing what's necessary to keep herself safe, she is becoming the figure head of a criminal enterprise with no experience doing anything like it. To my mind you would want to have some notion of landscape, or what that job entails before taking it on.

If they had some scenes where she demonstrated a deeper understanding of the underworld than Vicious had, or was working with someone who did this wouldn't bother me as much. It's not a dealbreaker, but it is funny as is.

I hope season two just has her making terrible decisions from inexperience and leading to the destruction of the Syndicate because she has no idea what trading drugs entails or what the politics of the business are.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wrong thread!

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Three episodes in and I really like it so far, haven't watched the anime for twenty years though.:shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh, totally forgot: it felt completely out of place and unearned to reuse the two, most famous, end title cards from the original for episodes 9 and 10.

Those two moments so entirely missed the emotional stinger that came with the original run that I can only think it was intentional, but yikes. Bad choice, IMO.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PlushCow posted:

Watching this the first episode felt the strangest, I think because it being the first and getting acclimated to the live-action version of these characters, and in retrospect I think the first episode followed the original anime episode more closely than all the others making direct comparisons forefront in my mind. Once it started being more loose with the source I enjoyed it a lot more and I think the main actors did pretty well, Jet being a standout to me. I loved that when they went bowling he had a bowling shirt on.

I think it's harder to judge this show on its own merits because it's a tv show adapted from another tv show, a show that was great and loved, and this version wouldn't necessarily have the leeway with the material adapting from a book two different productions would've been. That's how I thought about it after a few episodes, the anime and the live action being different adaptations of the same source and enjoying the live action on its own merits.

It was good, though I think Julia in the end could've been foreshadowed better and I did like seeing more of Vicious, his actor did a good job. I hope there's a season 2, mostly because I want an episode with Cowboy Andy pissing Spike off.

The comparisons invited by the pilot are particularly bad because it directly highlights the weaknesses of this adaptation. It takes a tight, well paced story and drags it out to an hour for no reason with unnecessary plot threads that muddle the themes, and turns the iconic, beautifully evocative animated air chase into a parking lot shootout.

Adaptations don't have to (and shouldn't) mimic the original, but when you deliberately attempt to and don't do it right, you hosed up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just finished the season, I thought the show was okay to pretty good in parts, not very good in others, but the whole thing had an oddly disconnected feel to its physicality that I can't quite put my finger on. I haven't seen the anime (decided to watch this version first so I wouldn't go in with unreasonable expectations) so I don't know if they were trying to ape a specific feel/homage to how the action worked in that, but I felt like the actors were attempting to do things that didn't really translate to actual physical performances.... if that makes any sense?

Favorite scene was in the "let's give this person a lift" episode, with Jet projecting into Kimmy's performance while Spike can be seen in the background in a big fight with a bunch of goons, I would love to see a show that was more of that kind of ridiculous energy.

As somebody who hasn't seen the original though, please Jesus tell me that the little kid who shows up at the very end of the last episode is NOT going to be a regular recurring character because Jesus Christ I could feel my soul trying to cringe its way out of my body watching them on-screen :gonk:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 29, 2021

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
shes a regular in the show and imo also annoying there (pretty sure im in the minority when i think this), but not nearly as much. that kind of stuff works way better in animation. and shes part of the crew but definitely less relevant than the main three.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

Cowboy Bebop Season 2: Battlefield Earth

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody who hasn't seen the original though, please Jesus tell me that the little kid who shows up at the very end of the last episode is NOT going to be a regular recurring character because Jesus Christ I could feel my soul trying to cringe its way out of my body watching them on-screen :gonk:
They're a big part of the original where they are even more insane/cartoony but have fun interactions with the cast who are comparatively down to earth

https://i.imgur.com/WFM6Qzd.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 29, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oof, well hopefully if there is a season 2 they dial back a bit from that first impression.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

Episode 7 feel like the best case scenario for what they're going for: remaking the anime as an endearingly chintzy sci-fi show.
It's the best iteration of the adapted versions of their characters (aside of all the Vicious and Julia stuff, which is the weakest aspect of the series).

I could watch more of a tightened-up version of that show.
Finally finished, and I agree that Episode 7 ended up probably being my favorite. For me it rested heavily on Faye's scammer "mom" nailing her role and getting to have a ton of fun with it... also the "Spike fighting in the background" gag did work really well. It was the only episode where I felt that live-action was actually helping the adaptation rather than being somewhere between acceptable and terrible.

Overall, aside from that episode it mostly dragged on and got kinda depressing right up until the finale.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ed is the best character in the anime

with the best music

fight me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Fucker posted:

shes a regular in the show and imo also annoying there (pretty sure im in the minority when i think this), but not nearly as much. that kind of stuff works way better in animation. and shes part of the crew but definitely less relevant than the main three.

I completely agree with you regarding Ed in the original. I've just never really been a fan of the character, but you're also 1000% right that it works way better as part of an anime than trying to do that as a live action character

She's actually only in like.. roughly half the show? So it'll be interesting if they try and bring live action Ed in more, or save them for a kind of phone a friend character when the main crew needs help

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Just coming back to this bit about using Australian sound stages, because it makes so much sense now that I kept hearing ghosts of Aussie accents and thought I was going mad.

Also, the house Jet Black's wife lives in was so "quintessential Sydney suburbs" that I was expecting a magpie to fly into the shot.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Martman posted:

Finally finished, and I agree that Episode 7 ended up probably being my favorite. For me it rested heavily on Faye's scammer "mom" nailing her role and getting to have a ton of fun with it... also the "Spike fighting in the background" gag did work really well. It was the only episode where I felt that live-action was actually helping the adaptation rather than being somewhere between acceptable and terrible.

Overall, aside from that episode it mostly dragged on and got kinda depressing right up until the finale.

every bit of that episode was great right up until Whitney says the safe word and we find out it was a sex roleplay game where like 30 people died for no reason. they could have easily done something where else the mink has a change of heart and decides not to kill her or, literally anything that whole ending was a bridge to far for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Episode 10 blew. They contrived so much poo poo to reuse shots from Ballad of a Fallen Angel. Otherwise I adored this ridiculous dumb series. The original is again just so much better technically speaking, but I had so much fun with the show.