Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

That's always been the most "How the gently caress do you work?!" thing about the X, since they supposedly can't copy pure tech but were somehow able to DOWNLOAD Samus' Varia Suit upgrade from the Data Room in Fusion. :psyduck:

well, yeah. if Samus's suit is partially biological but it can receive digital data from a Data Room, then there has to be something on the biological side that can interface with it, and thus if it's biological it could be replicated or innate to the X. It's still weird when you think about it too much, but as far as spacemagic is concerned it's consistent spacemagic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I guess in this universe, with outright brain-in-a-jar computers, it's a given that most tech has an organic part to it.

i think this is one of the reasons i like it - it's kinda shocking to hear the suit has fleshy bits but also not out of the blue because biotech has been a thing (and a chozo thing at that) since the very first game in the series

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

At a middle school playground in 1989: "I heard the guy in Metroid is actually a g-g-girl!"

If you look at how Samus' suit evolves in Dread, you can see how the wiry muscle bits around her shoulders get progressively armoured up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't believe it's happened in game yet, but I don't think it's been outright ruled out either. So I'd file it under "if they decide it makes sense in the story/game, the x will copy machines".

The X also took control of the security robot on the BSL via it's organic components. I guess in this universe, with outright brain-in-a-jar computers, it's a given that most tech has an organic part to it.
I think the biggest point in favor of "X can't eat or copy machines" is that all the machine enemies in Dread are still 'real' after Elun, while literally everything alive past that point, no matter the size, is an X Parasite.

Also, Dark Samus getting the suit design almost exactly. It's possible the MP just stole her DNA and put it in a Varia Suit-shaped shell, but if that was the case, and looking like that is a personal choice, why isn't her form more variable?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 27, 2021

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Are the EMMI upgraded by Raven Beak using data (or parts IDK) stripped from Samus? Is that why they're distinct and why Samus can re-learn her abilities from them?

Its looks like Raven Beak partly destroyed the first one before finding a way to incorporate them into an existing security system of some kind... I still don't know how the first one's face plate was destroyed, unless that's just showing how awesome Raven Beak's arm cannon is.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

kaschei posted:

Are the EMMI upgraded by Raven Beak using data (or parts IDK) stripped from Samus? Is that why they're distinct and why Samus can re-learn her abilities from them?

Its looks like Raven Beak partly destroyed the first one before finding a way to incorporate them into an existing security system of some kind... I still don't know how the first one's face plate was destroyed, unless that's just showing how awesome Raven Beak's arm cannon is.
The federation lost signal on the EMMIs like 5 minutes after planetfall but the X were still under containment until Samus reached the containment zone.

Since that's clearly Raven Beak's doing, I'm going to assume his arm cannon has a crowbar mode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Omobono posted:

Since that's clearly Raven Beak's doing, I'm going to assume his arm cannon has a crowbar mode.
He was using his left hand to copy his favorite moment from his favorite live action Transformers movie.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I did it, I beat Experiment X-57. I had to cheat, but in the official, Nintendo-approved way - I used Amiibos for a little extra energy toward the end of the fight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omobono posted:

The federation lost signal on the EMMIs like 5 minutes after planetfall but the X were still under containment until Samus reached the containment zone.

I don’t think it was that quickly. But I guess it depends on whether the EMMI zones & control units were created by the Federation or Raven Beak. It’s not explicitly said at any point but it seems like it could be Federation tech that was repurposed by the Chozo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jzGtSOifgk

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Randomly, since the Chozo word for the X Parasites is "Elis," do you think "Elun" might be related to that?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t think it was that quickly. But I guess it depends on whether the EMMI zones & control units were created by the Federation or Raven Beak. It’s not explicitly said at any point but it seems like it could be Federation tech that was repurposed by the Chozo.

They had to have been made by the Chozo since the Federation considers the planet unexplored, doesn't it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

They had to have been made by the Chozo since the Federation considers the planet unexplored, doesn't it?
yeah, not to mention the mother brains central units

i really don't know where the idea that the emmi areas are federation comes from, that's not what they were doing there at all. they explicitly sent the emmi to explore and gather samples, before losing contact.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I’m roughly 4 hours in, got the pulse radar, went to the F area to get debriefed by Adam and completely lost on where to go from here

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think I’m roughly 4 hours in, got the pulse radar, went to the F area to get debriefed by Adam and completely lost on where to go from here

Pulse radar is one of the items that you can pretty easily get out of order. What was the last item you got before that?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Your Computer posted:

yeah, not to mention the mother brains central units

i really don't know where the idea that the emmi areas are federation comes from, that's not what they were doing there at all. they explicitly sent the emmi to explore and gather samples, before losing contact.

Our information provider ingame implied that they were supposed to work that way but then they are a lying liar who lies.

Though, the first central unit was already beaten up... so who knows. Maybe there's a protocol for moving them around

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

Let's not say crazy things. I'm fine with new upgrades but speed booster (ESPECIALLY with how great it is in Dread) should be a mainstay.

The closest thing we've had to that in Metroid is the limited beam ammo in Echoes...which most people hated cause they either didn't read or forgot the tutorial tip that says how to properly keep said ammo stocked up.
No, I understood that just fine. I just don't want to manage ammo in a series that has never made me do it in that way and didn't do it particularly well.

If you're gonna' get Doom in my Metroid, you'd best do it as well as Doom or you just look like an rear end in a top hat.

There's a progression arc in Metroid that's extremely tough to pull off even without adding new mechanics. This can be pretty well epitomized by Samus Returns:

Ideally, Metroid should make you feel like a tiny god for a while after you get an upgrade. Then, just before you've noticed that getting boring, it should ramp up the difficulty some, then a bit more, then more still, until, for the briefest of moments, you feel unmatched. And just as you do, you should find an upgrade that turns you back into a tiny god.

Samus Returns botched this so completely that I was terrified Dread would make the same mistake. Instead of having a period where you feel like a badass, the game would make you feel underpowered for ages, then give you an upgrade that made the area you'd just beaten child's play, except... you just beat it. That doesn't help you anymore. So you only feel awesome when backtracking and spend the entire rest of the game, absent twitch reflexes or the benefit of a playthrough or two of practice, feeling quite a bit less than badass.

It's such an incredibly difficult line to walk that I'm frankly impossibly impressed that Nintendo and Konami ever got it right enough to create a popular genre.

In the case of Prime 2, they had to balance that in addition to several new gameplay mechanics, and I'm not surprised they couldn't manage to the point that they did with Prime 1, but following up one of the greatest games of all time is always going to be a tall order.

My biggest beef with Sakamoto is that he feels Samus is at her most interesting when she's helpless and afraid and frankly, when you combine this with the whole of Other M's story, while the guy may not personally have issues with women, his games definitely do, and since Samus is the only woman in videogames that's been with me since childhood and I had to grow up playing other genders almost exclusively, it can occasionally be a pretty thunderous bummer when I feel Samus isn't handled correctly.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dread made it clear that Sakamoto is no longer in the driver's seat after Other M's complete, utter, and abject failure, so I feel secure in the future of the franchise for now

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Golux posted:

Our information provider ingame implied that they were supposed to work that way but then they are a lying liar who lies.

Though, the first central unit was already beaten up... so who knows. Maybe there's a protocol for moving them around

Right, it seemed like Raven Beak must have wrecked that central unit, right? I wish that it made more sense!!!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

my impression is that the first Emmi area with the dead unit and messed up Emmi was entirely Raven Beak prototyping the areas and trying to set up control, and one fought back and killed its control unit before Raven blasted it into uselessness

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Febreeze posted:

I hated the Final suit in Dread though, makes her look like a dumb crustacean. Crab suit.
Me too.

Here's a completely unrelated video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K9R1rYrHbU

Black August posted:

Dread made it clear that Sakamoto is no longer in the driver's seat after Other M's complete, utter, and abject failure, so I feel secure in the future of the franchise for now
I wish I could agree, but this game, much like most of the last games, has been all about Samus being afraid. It's literally in the name of the game. Prime 2, Fusion, Zero Mission, Other M, Samus Returns, and Dread have all, in part or in whole, been about Samus running away from things and feeling weak and afraid, and frankly, that's not why I'm here.

People keep going on about how badass she is in this game, but in every example I've seen thus far, people are talking about the Doomslayer affectations from cutscenes.

If she's at her most badass when somebody else is controlling her, that's not me being a badass, and that's bad game design.

gently caress you.

The reveal of who is actually talking makes this make sense in context, but this is fiction. That context was thought up by the director. And I think he sometimes really sucks.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think you might be taking it too personally

Samus was poo poo-talked the entire game and she nosold all of it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when a new bad guy is fighting Goku and everyone’s like “oh poo poo Goku you shouldn’t be fighting that guy he’s invincible nooo don’t he’ll kill you in like a second” I think that’s pretty hosed up

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Black August posted:

I think you might be taking it too personally

Samus was poo poo-talked the entire game and she nosold all of it
That's just it. She did. I didn't, and that's what I didn't like.

There's no sense in us arguing about it. If you like Samus being helpless, that's your Metroid experience and I wouldn't dream of telling you that you're wrong just like I wouldn't tell somebody their enjoyment of linear, gated-off Zelda isn't wrong just because I preferred Zelda 1/LBW/BOTW's more "here's a world" approach. It's just not what I want from a Metroid game.

I absolutely adored the ending of Zero Mission because it lasted exactly as long as it should have, came with more catharsis after the fact than any Metroid game since that's tried it, and it was something we hadn't really experienced from Samus before.

"What if Samus was completely outmatched in every way" is a really interesting question to ask, and it asked and answered it extremely well, so why are we continuously doing this as if that didn't happen? Why cheapen a brilliant piece of art you made by doing the same new, novel departures it did over and over unless you think that's what's inherently the most interesting thing? And if that is what's interesting, why do you think so, and why poo poo on all the little girls who grew up with, or could grow up with, a protagonist who has their poo poo together outside of cutscenes?

Find a new experiment. Don't keep performing the one that succeeded and became science unless you can turn it into better science.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

There's no sense in us arguing about it.

there's not really an argument to be had, you're just wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samus has literally never felt more powerful during standard gameplay than in Dredd. I genuinely am not sure what you are expecting short of something that is not Metroid.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Samua feels extremely badass to play as in dread too, not just to look at

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
All this whining about how Samus is totally helpless when literally every single cutscene she's in shows her being an unflappable badass. I was watching an LP and they pointed out how even if Samus is "outmatched" she's always shown as being in control of the situation, like walking towards the boss arm cannon up when it's screaming in her face.

Even in gameplay you're pretty much stomping over all the regular enemies. The EMMIs eventually become jokes you speed run through their areas and take up less and less of the game time, with the last one literally being a cutscene boss that Samus curbstomps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

Samua feels extremely badass to play as in dread too, not just to look at

Yeah standard play is moving swiftly through an area blowing everything to shreds and punching anything that gets too close in the face before making it explode.

I've beem running it for speed purposes lately and it is genuinely shocking to me how good it it is at making you feel crazy capable from the start.

Even the EMMI get less threatening. By this point I can reliably hit their escape mechanic with little trouble so even the deadly instakill bots get kicked in the face.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How does Samus feel helpless? Adam says she is sure, but she then proceeds to crush all opposition in both gameplay and cutscenes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

How does Samus feel helpless? Adam says she is sure, but she then proceeds to crush all opposition in both gameplay and cutscenes.

Because you have to run away from EMMIs I guess? Until you stop running and blow their heads off

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The utter contempt for Kraid shows in both her body language, and the number of insta-kills the devs put in if you’re into some sequence breaking.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Metroid has always been about Samus running away and coming back when she's stronger. It happens in her backstory and it happens in the genre's gameplay loop and it happens in the plot. One of her recurring powerups lets her run even faster.

She also runs away from every place as it self destructs to bookend it :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

okay so this is 'taking it too personally' and I am advising you to have FUN with the good game that is not actively hating on women, and just chill out

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Yeah there's a huge gulf of difference between the "You're helpless" in Dread and, say, Other M. Other M has her up against Ridley for the Xth time, but her reaction isn't really anything that any other iteration of Samus has ever showed.

In Dread, she gets the "You're helpless" chat and immediately disregards it and all of the bosses. The closest she comes to surprise is the experiment, and that's a single moment of "ah poo poo, this one is big and mobile" before grabbing onto it and blasting away.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
samus' first encounter with the EMMI reflects how you deal with them in-game as well. she shoots it with her beam, shoots it with her missiles, and when it no-sells both, she goes "well this isn't working" and then kicks it in the head and goes on the hunt for a tool that will. she's not helpless or vulnerable against the EMMI, she's just being smart

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

How dare this franchise heavily inspired by Alien be harrowing at times!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I wish Samus wasn't so afraid of green doors that she has to run away from them until she gets the super missiles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like it's worth noting that even Doomguy begins as a dude with a pistol and some anger issues over a dead bunny who is fighting literal monsters from Hell. Part of the appeal of the character is that he is hilariously outgunned and still kicks everything's rear end because he is just that angry about his dead bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I thought the game was pretty good at not being a heavy disconnect between cutscene and playable Samus - trying to slowly stealth your way past E.M.M.I.s doesn't work very well at all, but briefly cloaking to get them out of your face so you can sprint to the next door does, and if you're quick about it during the animations, you have just enough time from successfully melting their faceplates to charge up a killshot without moving even if they're right in your face. Still seems like an unflappable badass to me.