Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA... showing up unplanned asking to be fed?

quote:

For Thanksgiving my family (2 adults, 3 kids) drove a long distance (6+ hours) to celebrate with my sister and her family. We had dinner on arrival (take out), Thanksgiving, then a planned brunch the next day all at her house. Saturday morning we show up thinking we were having a quick breakfast before she has her friends over for a 2nd brunch (done separately due to covid).

We arrive and her husband greets us. I am excited to spend a bit more time together, get some drinks for the road and drive home. Her husband then tells me that he will not be feeding us any food. I am a bit confused, and he tells me that I misunderstood, they thought I was coming by to just say goodbye, and that they aren't feeding us. I have three hungry kids who haven't eaten, and we checked out of our hotel walking past the free breakfast we'd eaten the other mornings.

I ask him directly what I'm supposed to do about the kids and he says there are lots of places for me to go to get food. I literally ask if my kids can have an orange, and he says again he is not feeding us. So I tell my kids we are leaving, and we will wait outside for their Dad to get back with the car. I just walk out, don't say goodbye to any of them (including her two kids). We literally sit on their curb for 10minutes waiting for the car.

I didnt see my sister during this time at all. My sister texts while I'm outside (phone is in car, so I don't see it until we are driving away), saying she's sorry for the misunderstanding. I call her as we are driving away and ask her if she has any suggestions for us since her husband refused to feed my kids. She tells me it's not her "job" to feed my kids. That I'm completely rude and unreasonable. That there is a McDonalds around the corner. I tell her I need to get off the phone and hang up.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that her husband would decide to turn out three kids without so much as an orange and toast. And that she would support that decision and then call me rude to think that they would feed at least my kids.

The misunderstanding came from a phone call the night before. We took the afternoon to visit some other friends and thought we would be back for dinner with her that (soup and leftovers). I was super sad, so I called and we discussed us coming by in the morning. I knew she had guests coming at 10:30am, and told her we would leave by 10am. I guess she thought we would swing by at 10am... we got there at around 9am without having eaten anything. It's clear that there was a misunderstanding, but I can't figure out how the misunderstanding leads to them turning out three kids from their home like that. And how my leaving the situation makes me an rear end in a top hat.

So...AITA for showing up and asking for her to feed my three kids when they don't think that's the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being upset at my brother for potty training / wiping my 3 year old son's bum without asking my permission?

The racist poo poo just kinda slides in there.

Yeah that took a :kstare: turn hard.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Something tells me none of the parties involved here have a lot of money to burn, which informs their decision-making.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Something tells me none of the parties involved here have a lot of money to burn, which informs their decision-making.

They walked past their free hotel breakfast.

e: on the one hand entitlement, on the other hand cornflakes are pennies to make an embarrassing situation go away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Something tells me one or both of the parties involved here are exhausting (I've got a bet on which one!) and, once again, we are literally talking about biting the hand that feeds.

In the stated text, I can't imagine turning them away. But you know this isn't the first time, you know the kind of poo poo that was admitted to (can't both to show up for dinner we agreed to show up for) has happened A LOT, etc.

All aboard the first stop on the low/no contact train, CHOO CHOOO.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 29, 2021

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is a very weirdly told story that relies on everyone else being strangely rude to the OP for no apparent reason, so I’m just going to assume there probably is a reason and it’s that she’s an rear end in a top hat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being upset at my brother for potty training / wiping my 3 year old son's bum without asking my permission?

my "men get unfairly accused of molesting children" shirt is getting me a lot of questions

the "single moms will never be able find a good white man to raised a mixed race baby" shirt however is just getting me a lot of high fives from a bunch of dudes in red hats

edit jfc did that aita get cross posted to stormfront or something? it's literally all "yta" with a lot of comments how she should be grateful he's acting like a father figure to the boy.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 29, 2021

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

quote:

AITA for telling my parents I would not care for my obese brother?

When my little brother Teddy was born, his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. According to my mom, he wasn't breathing for at least three minutes. Since then my parents often used that as an excuse for Teddy's behavior. My childhood became a living hell with Teddy.

"Give Teddy your candy! He died coming into this world"

"Let him play with your friends! He died coming into this world!"

"Let him open your presents! Teddy almost didn't have a birthday!"

I had to put up with Teddy's tantrums, abuse, fits and bad behavior. If I touched a single hair on his head, I got punished while Teddy got away with whatever he did. It became so bad that when I was 15, I moved out the house to live with family members away from Teddy. My contact with my parents and Teddy is limited. Currently I'm 35 and Teddy is 26. When he was 18, he decided he wanted to be a competitive eater which turned into just eating. Teddy now weighs almost 600lbs.

Cause of his weight, he can't hold a job and lives with our parents who still cater to him and pay for everything. Since Teddy requires round the clock care, my parents hardy leave the house. They weren't present at my wedding, only see the grandkids if I bring them around and all family events like dinners have to held at their house cause its hard to move Teddy. A few days ago Teddy suffered a bad fall that put him in the hospital. My husband and I at least came to see him.

My parents complained that the hospital wasn't feeding him enough, didn't have a wheelchair big enough for him and naturally they didn't want to hear anything about his weight. It would be easier to turn water into gold. To make a long story short, my parents pulled my husband and I aside and asked a large amount money for Teddy's care. They said that they didn't have money to keep caring for him and were having to dip into their retirement funds. They even suggested that once Teddy is cleared to go home, he move in with us cause my husband and I are well off with a bigger house and so "We can get a break cause we have to care for him all year round while you just visit."

I said no. My husband told them hell no! We both work full time. Our kids are enrolled in sports and dance. We made it clear that Teddy would not be moving in with us nor would we be moving our schedule around to deal with him or giving them the money even though we could afford it.

"He's your brother! You almost didn't have a brother!"

We left the hospital. My mom later called me, berating me abandoning the family and Teddy and demanding money. I told her I would not care for Teddy under any circumstances. Even if something happened to her and my dad, I would not care for my brother and he's her problem. Not mine. My mom cursed me out over the phone and hung up. I do feel a little bad cause Teddy is my brother but he made my life hell and my parents refuse to take any responsible for his behavior. AITA?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think he's right about the wiping double standard, but wrong about literally everything else.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

spinst posted:

AITA for telling my parents I would not care for my obese brother?

quote:

"He's your brother! You almost didn't have a brother!"

Under the circumstances, "I wish I DIDN'T have a brother!" would be a perfectly justifiable response.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

Under the circumstances, "I wish I DIDN'T have a brother!" would be a perfectly justifiable response.
No, these circumstances demand the even colder “I don’t have a brother and I don’t have parents any more either” :sever:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Ooo, I'm reading it over and over and I think I found the lede? She and her family drove over for thanksgiving, but missed it due to flakiness and where expecting leftovers/seconds afterwards and/or the next morning?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not giving one of my son’s toys to my nephew, causing him to have an hours-long tantrum?

quote:

We hosted Thanksgiving at my place. My brother, his wife, and their almost four year old son were among the guests.

As people were leaving, my brother asked if my nephew could take home one of my 2 year old son’s toy trucks. My nephew had been playing with it nonstop since they arrived and wanted to keep it. My brother said that he’d replace the toy if I told him where I got it.

I told my brother that I’d be happy to give him a link to the store where I bought it, but I would not give him the toy then and there. I refused for two reasons: firstly, my brother/sister-in-law have a terrible habit of giving my nephew everything he asks for. He is way too old for that. Secondly, I don’t want to reinforce in my nephew that it’s OK to just take things he wants. My brother said that my nephew would throw a tantrum if he didn’t get the toy then and there, and that everything would be easier if I just let him take the toy and get sent a replacement in the mail.

I told my brother that I would not be an enabler for my nephew’s bad behavior, and that it’s my brother/SIL’s problem if he throws a tantrum. Of course, the inevitable happened—my nephew started shrieking inconsolably at the top of his lungs and my brother/SIL/nephew had to leave.

Later that evening I got an angry text from my brother saying that my nephew screamed his head off for the entire 3 hour car ride home and only stopped screaming after he literally passed out from exhaustion. He said that the tantrum was my fault since it would have been completely avoided if I’d just given my nephew the toy, and accused me of “backseat parenting,” since in his words it’s not my place to set an example for his son.

My wife thinks we should have just handed the toy over to make things easier, especially since our son has a ton of toys (and is not particularly attached to that specific truck) and would not have noticed it missing for just a couple days. I still maintain that it’s well within my rights to set an example for my nephew even if it goes against my brother/SIL’s parenting style of coddling their son, and that the tantrum is 100% a result of their terrible parenting habits.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving one of my son’s toys to my nephew, causing him to have an hours-long tantrum?

Keep an eye out for Cyber Monday sales and gift your wife a spine for Christmas if you missed your chance during Black Friday.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My interest is piqued - I don't read this thread usually but I have to know what the subtitle of this one "I. DID. NOT. YELL. AT. GRANDMA." comes from. Hit me with a link.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

LOL, it's slid in right from the get-go: "His father is not in her life and is in a different state trying to be a rapper/NBA player, whatever."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mx. posted:

The kid's parents are the A-holes.

I bet, if you sat them down and asked them, that they want a son who is respectful, generous, and resilient.

But the follow up question to that is: "How do you think you get there?" and they just draw a blank.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AHH F/UGH posted:

My interest is piqued - I don't read this thread usually but I have to know what the subtitle of this one "I. DID. NOT. YELL. AT. GRANDMA." comes from. Hit me with a link.

Goddamn this thread moves fast, it just happened yesterday but it's already 8 pages back.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982535&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=170#post519540183

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

LOL, it's slid in right from the get-go: "His father is not in her life and is in a different state trying to be a rapper/NBA player, whatever."

The father is Master P?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AHH F/UGH posted:

The father is Master P?

Is that one of Trump's pseudonyms?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

AHH F/UGH posted:

The father is Master P?

I looked up "rapper / nba player" and there are quite a few potentials

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

my "men get unfairly accused of molesting children" shirt is getting me a lot of questions

the "single moms will never be able find a good white man to raised a mixed race baby" shirt however is just getting me a lot of high fives from a bunch of dudes in red hats

edit jfc did that aita get cross posted to stormfront or something? it's literally all "yta" with a lot of comments how she should be grateful he's acting like a father figure to the boy.

My bet is they went "what? he took care of your child, why are you freaked out?" and just uhhhh didn't read that last bit where the racism kicks the door in.

vvv Oh, I see, they wanted a different response from the one they got so they made some drat poo poo up.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 29, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

She apparently edited the racial slur in there later. It wasn’t in her original post

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

from r/legal advice

Boss fired me on thanksgiving while blackout drunk.

quote:

I’m working for a small start-up company, and I’m essentially keeping the whole show running. To put it mildly, my boss (the CEO) has a major drinking problem that leads him to send out the occasional verbally abusive, or downright degrading, texts or emails in the middle of the night. I’ve had enough and am currently on my second interview for another company.

I’m currently on vacation for the holidays. At 3:30pm on Thanksgiving day, I get an email to my personal email address from my boss saying:

“We have made the difficult decision to terminate your employment with (company name).

Have a wonderful holiday and enjoy the rest of your vacation.”

I then check my work email to find that he has already locked me out of the company system. At this point, I just laughed at how much chaos this will bring the company, plus it saves me from putting in my 2-week notice that I already planned on doing in the very near future.

I text him the next day just to see why he chose to fire me, and he has no idea what I’m talking about. After I sent him screenshots of the email, he tries to blame it on his ex-gf hacking his email and sending things like this to me and someone else (side note: followed up with that other person separately and that’s a big ol’ lie). He then said I still have my job and to ignore that email.

I don’t respond.

An hour later, he texts me saying it was actually an ex-employee that had his email info and was mad that I took his old job.

I don’t respond.

At this point, he’s expecting me back at work on Tuesday, but I don’t want to spend another minute working at this terrible work environment.

What I want to know is: is that email from the CEO enough to not go back to work and claim unemployment until I start my new job?

Edit: Thank you for all the advice! For added context…

I got a promotion in September, didn’t see the actual paperwork to sign that included a $5k incremental signing bonus until mid-October, and I still haven’t seen $1 of it. Thinking of lawyering up just for this alone, so negotiations for more money can’t be trusted.

I also have lots of screenshots of texts and emails of him blackmailing employees for not doing as he says, being slightly racist, and him using a separate work phone number to text an employee impersonating a lawyer to remind him of a non-compete agreement (that the employee hadn’t actually ever seen or signed). There are other examples, but essentially, proving this is a hostile work environment won’t be a problem.

Edit 2: Location is northern VA

quote:

The father is Master P?

Master P is actually a really big philanthropist in both time and money. He's shown up at events to help black teens in Louisville impacted by gun violence for years now and he has zero connection to Louisville at all. Just picked the city at random and started doing poo poo. He's a really solid dude.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for sternly telling my wife I get to invite whoever I want whenever I want to my house?

why is it always "stahm" and not "sahm" for "stay at home mother". where does the t come from ??? :confused:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

pentyne posted:

The racist comment was added in an edit after most of the comment were posted

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Boyfriend (28M) asked me (28F) to behave since I'm easily replaceable

quote:

We have been together for 3 years. He has been lovely, and we have a lot fun together, but we had been fighting a lot recently because of a personal issue in my family. We had been giving each other the silent treatment, but we sat down yesterday and talked things out.

Then he said something that didn't sit right with me. He told me that I should behave before he replaces me. At first, I laughed. I thought he was joking since we joke around so much. But he wasn't joking, he looked serious. I asked him if he was serious, and he said that he was. I asked him to explain. He said that since he made so much money, women fell at his feet and it wouldn't be hard for him to replace me with some other woman since he had so many options.

I wouldn't say that he's exaggerating, because he is good looking and makes a lot, and women have flirted with him right in front of me, but what the hell??? How can he expect me to be okay with whatever bullshit he's saying? This ended in another fight and I left the house. Before leaving, I did mention that he should get himself a new girlfriend since that would be so easy for him.

I think the reason he has said these things to me is because of some weird youtube channels that he has been watching for quiet a while now. I searched them up and they allign with everything he said, so now I know from where he's getting all these stupid ideas from. A friend of his had recommended these channels to him because my boyfriend is a "high value man" (whatever that means) and he should be "alert".

We haven't talked since. He hasn't contacted me, and I haven't either because I'm angry. What he said to me hurt my feelings very deeply. Is this something that is breakup-worthy? Should I just ask him to stop watching whatever he's watching that's making him think this way? Should I let it go? Will it be stupid to breakup with him over this?

TLDR - boyfriend said that I was easily replaceable and he had a lot of options when it came to women, i got angry and left the house, he's been watching something harmful stuff online which is influencing his ideas, should I break up with him over something like this or should I just let it go?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Honey, the box with everything he owns goes on his right, your left.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Evil Willow posted:

Sounds like they already broke up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Countdown until he floods her phone with texts about him being right that she is a gold-digger, etc.

AITA for wanting support while my husband is gone

quote:

I (20F) and my husband (22M) got married almost two months ago. He went off to Army basic training 4 days after we got married, and I’ve been a wreck. I 100% know and understand the intensity of training and I love that everyone is so worried about him and his well-being. Even his mother (who isn’t supportive of the Army decision) is worried about him. What I have a hard time with is people saying they’ll check in on me and invite me out occasionally. He comes home in 2 weeks and I haven’t been checked on ONCE. In fact, I’m actively told that what I’m going through is nothing compared to what he is going through. I just want some support because I can’t keep giving and giving and not receiving. AITA for wanting someone to check on me?

Edit: I would mostly like support from my friends and my parents. my parents mostly because they think I’m being dramatic. I make plans and people cancel. it’s like they don’t,, want to hang out with me.

drat, we lost this one, she didn't read the Military Wife post.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Has she considered picking up the phone lmao

That’s basically the easiest “narcissism addict” dog whistle, when someone claims they’re tired of being ignored but refuses to actually do anything to engage someone else

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Alchenar posted:

They walked past their free hotel breakfast.
e: on the one hand entitlement, on the other hand cornflakes are pennies to make an embarrassing situation go away.
If you read carefully, OP bailed on dinner the night before without telling the hostess, knew the hostess had a brunch starting the next morning at 10:30, and decided they'd show up the next morning, let the kids play for an hour, and then leave. During the hours immediately before the brunch, when a normal hostess would be scurrying around taking things out of the oven and plumping pillows and doing all the stuff you do before a party.

OP walked straight past a hotel buffet to demand a cooked breakfast -- not even cornflakes, for pity's sake, but toast, coffee, and tea -- from somebody getting ready to throw a party. Comments say, and I agree, she was planning on bulldozing her way into being included in brunch.

The fact that OP's brother-in-law was all ready to lay the hammer down about "No, we are not feeding you" makes it clear that this is not a one-time event. It also comes out that the hostess had served thanksgiving dinner, plus another dinner that OP didn't show up for. Another night, OP's parents paid for delivery, but OP thought they got credit because they'd volunteered to pay.

There are a lot of missing missing reasons, bu they're hinted at.

AHH F/UGH posted:

He's in basic training. He can't take calls. That said, everybody else is right that he's going through a lot more than she is.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 29, 2021

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He's in basic training. He can't take calls. That said, everybody else is right that he's going through a lot more than she is.

Read carefully, I kinda glossed it myself.
But she's mad that non-husband people are not contacting her, while through phrasing making it quite clear she isn't herself reaching out for company.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whenever she's ready to reach out, Jodie will be there for her

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Whenever she's ready to reach out, Jodie will be there for her

making gin

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for wanting support while my husband is gone

AHH F/UGH posted:

That’s basically the easiest “narcissism addict” dog whistle, when someone claims they’re tired of being ignored but refuses to actually do anything to engage someone else
That's the most likely scenario, but an alternative possibility is that she's just asking for way too much when she tries to engage - people are saying she's being dramatic because she wants to talk to her parents or friends every single night and they're like "wtf, this is ridiculous".

Also, isn't basic training like two months out of your multi-year commitment? Seems like a bad sign that she's already self-describing herself as a wreck.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 29, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xakura posted:

AITA for not calling my husband "my honored husband" in front of his parents?

Doesn't this hinge on whether anyone actually expects/ wants to be called that and it's socially acceptable? Is OP's original understanding of etiquette correct? They never explicitly say that they were wrong, just that they overreached in dictating Japanese norms.

Cthulu Carl posted:

:hmmyes: some Dogwhistle 201 stuff

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DreamingofRoses posted:

She apparently edited the racial slur in there later. It wasn’t in her original post

Midnight Voyager posted:

My bet is they went "what? he took care of your child, why are you freaked out?" and just uhhhh didn't read that last bit where the racism kicks the door in.

vvv Oh, I see, they wanted a different response from the one they got so they made some drat poo poo up.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they got exactly the response they wanted, then edited their post to make it look like the thread was fawning over a racist rear end in a top hat (AKA the sort of fuckery we have the “Soandso hosed around with this message” label on our edits to prevent).

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

An easy part in determining OP is the rear end in a top hat here is their insistance that the issue is their kids won't be fed to try and drive home how terrible the action is. Grab some of that free continental on your way out as car snacks if nothing else, it's like they actively chose to avoid it to use the particular issue as cudgel.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

MagusofStars posted:

Also, isn't basic training like two months out of your multi-year commitment? Seems like a bad sign that she's already self-describing herself as a wreck.

Yes and no. Basic Training is the basic soldier stuff they teach everyone and lasts about 2 months. Depending on your job you may get leave to go home before continuing your specialty or in my case its all one thing so I was gone 5 months. 15 years ago you wrote letters home at set points to basically say "I'm still alive and the drill sergeants aren't abusing us" in the beginning that morphed into phone calls on the weekends, usually for about 15 minutes towards the middle. If you no one else was around there wasn't a time limit so some guys would refuse Sunday leave or going to church to talk on the phone longer. I think the last month they would give us our cell phones back sometimes and we could talk however long we wanted.

The only way this woman would have talked to him more than once a week is if they wrote to each other every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Everyone gets some cell phone time in the evening now. As long as they haven't gotten in trouble, have duty, or are in the field.