Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There’s actually a feature like that coming for macOS but it’s only for macs and iPads I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

There’s actually a feature like that coming for macOS but it’s only for macs and iPads I believe.

There is...?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sleepwalkers posted:

There is...?

I misread his post. I was thinking of Universal Control which lets you use the same mouse and keyboard with a Mac and iPad seamlessly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

anothergod posted:

This is going to sound weird, but is there a way to pair my phone with my iPad and use it as a trackpad? I use my keyboard with my iPad quite a bit and the only annoying part about most text entry is raising my hand up to touch the actual iPad screen haha

I've got that for Screens 4. It's an IAP that lets you use your iPhone as a trackpad to your iPad...but it's only for remote desktop.

So good news the technology is possible, bad news it's limited to apps that want to use it and even then it's buggy enough that I went back to using a mouse.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I misread his post. I was thinking of Universal Control which lets you use the same mouse and keyboard with a Mac and iPad seamlessly.

Ahhh gotcha!
Yeah, I'm not sure of any software that'd allow the phone to become a trackpad for the iPad... Best option is probably going to be just actually buying a trackpad.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Here’s how you do it using the new UniversalControl Jose mentioned:

1. Buy a Mac, iPhone, and iPad
2. Get one of those apps for your phone that lets you control your Mac’s mouse via WiFi
3. Using your iPhone Mac mouse controller app, move the cursor to the side of the screen until it starts working on your iPad
4. Enjoy your awful laggy experience!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is there a way to get the Magic Trackpad 1 to work properly? I just want tap to click and two finger scrolling but I can just point and physically click

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw Best Buy has the Magic Keyboard for $199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...T&skuId=6340357

Pretty solid deal.

Thank you for the heads up on that. I was even able to score an open box one in “excellent” condition for additional $10 off. Picking it up in an hour or so.

I am excited, I’ve been looking at these magic keyboards with a fair amount of envy since they dropped.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Is there a way to get the Magic Trackpad 1 to work properly? I just want tap to click and two finger scrolling but I can just point and physically click

I have not been able to get my original Magic Trackpad to work properly. It almost works, but as you are seeing it's lacking all but the most basic functionality. I can't even get it to pair to my M1 Mac Mini. It's essentially obsolete for modern hardware.

I bought that Costco Logitech mouse linked earlier and it paired immediately with my iPad Pro and works great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s pretty maddening that apple intentionally breaks hardware like that. I was trying to use my iMac Magic Mouse on the iPad and it works but won’t scroll

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s pretty maddening that apple intentionally breaks hardware like that. I was trying to use my iMac Magic Mouse on the iPad and it works but won’t scroll

Is that the one with the nipple? I haven't tried that, but the newest Magic Mouse works with the iPad.

It sucks. I even bought new silicon feet because one had fallen off and the engineering is such that a missing 10 cent piece of plastic renders the whole thing unusable. The irony is that it was turned on in my closet under a pile of unwanted tech so it'd occasionally try to auto-connect to my MBP even though the batteries were at least 3 years old. Now I finally want to use it again and nothing works.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s the touch sensitive one, this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Mouse

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t have people using mice with replaceable batteries I guess

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a magnetic thing for an iPad Air 4 that just has a strap or pop socket type thing?

I love the smart folio case and it’s great to just take it off when I don’t need it, but I’d love to sub in another thing so I can support the tablet better.

Anyone? Thinking a magnet back thing and a pop socket or g-hold thing together.

Are there any “cases” that are just the magnetic back part of the smart folio thing?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I’m looking for a 12.9 M1 Pro 1tb

Best Buy has em at 1650 - anyone seen cheaper floating around?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
odd choice to not have tap to click on by default on the magic

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

odd choice to not have tap to click on by default on the magic

It's not that it's turned off by default, it just doesn't work. The iPad isn't recognizing it as a trackpad or touch sensitive mouse. It see's it as a mouse without a scroll wheel. So it works, but like a mid-1990's mouse without a scroll wheel.

And considering how few people have posted angry rants about their 11 year old input devices not working with iPads, it's never going to work.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 24, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
After waiting like, 6-7 months , I’m finally upgrading my iPad tomorrow.

Getting a bogo on 2 13 Pros, $300 off the cell 12.9 pro, and getting $350 off an Apple Watch. Worth the wait I guess.

Any recommendations on a standard folio case for the 12.9 ?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not that it's turned off by default, it just doesn't work. The iPad isn't recognizing it as a trackpad or touch sensitive mouse. It see's it as a mouse without a scroll wheel. So it works, but like a mid-1990's mouse without a scroll wheel.

And considering how few people have posted angry rants about their 11 year old input devices not working with iPads, it's never going to work.

I think he's talking about the iPad magic keyboard, which has it turned off by default, since rinkles just bought one. That post actually got me to check and yeah it was turned off on mine too, which is interesting! Not what I expect Apple to go with, not that I really noticed because the actual click on the Magic Keyboard is pretty drat good anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I think he's talking about the iPad magic keyboard, which has it turned off by default, since rinkles just bought one. That post actually got me to check and yeah it was turned off on mine too, which is interesting! Not what I expect Apple to go with, not that I really noticed because the actual click on the Magic Keyboard is pretty drat good anyway.

Well that is weird.

But tap to click is also an abomination so maybe Apple is doing everyone a favor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

But tap to click is also an abomination so maybe Apple is doing everyone a favor.

:wrong:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I would say "who buys a mouse without a scroll wheel" but then I think of my experience with a gaming mouse on iOS where I have to scroll slowly or if I scroll quickly like on PC, it goes all the way down like I just hard flicked the screen and it pisses me off.

Then again, I also want my back/forward/middle click to work how I want it too...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I guess it’s nice that it’s there but the mouse experience on iPad really isn’t great, is it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I guess it’s nice that it’s there but the mouse experience on iPad really isn’t great, is it?

Seems fine to me :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sometimes you have to simulate your mouse being a finger, sometimes you don't. Idk, maybe I'll get used to it, but it's not an intuitive experience to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I agree, it's about 90% there but every now and then it doesn't translate as expected.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If I don't remember wrongly, I turned off the mouse snapping to icons etc in the settings and after that it's pretty much a laptop experience.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is there a way to turn off mouse acceleration with iOS mouse input?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anothergod posted:

Is there a way to turn off mouse acceleration with iOS mouse input?

You have to attach specifically a trackpad, then turn it off in the trackpad settings, then it applies whenever you plug a mouse in.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

lol apple really wants you to buy both an iPad and a laptop, don’t they

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

anothergod posted:

Oh most definitely

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If they didn’t they’d let you boot macOS on an iPad when you have it snapped in a dock or something

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Especially now that they all run off the same chip

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

You have to attach specifically a trackpad, then turn it off in the trackpad settings, then it applies whenever you plug a mouse in.

:whoptc:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

If they didn’t they’d let you boot macOS on an iPad when you have it snapped in a dock or something

Like all those other successful docking tablets such as

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

anothergod posted:

Was too lazy or cheap to buy/install adobe lightroom on the laptop so I ended up using pixelmator that I got a while ago when it was on sale to process hundreds of raw photos.
The m1 ipad pro was way smoother, faster and more responsive than lightroom on a laptop/pc while I was able to do all the processing from the comfort of a couch.
It seriously felt magical as the thin slab of tablet was able to silently do something that used to be painful even on a 5+GHz hexacore desktop.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 30, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
After six months of deliberating, I finally got the 12.9 pro. Got $300 off so I went with it.

I got this case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097246MLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s fine, but a bit bulky. Any recommendations on like, the thinnest folio case ? Just use aroUnd the house, I got this case for the multiple angle prop option, but honestly if the tri fold works better, as in light weight, I’ll go for one of those.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Apple one.

Maybe not for MSRP but I managed to get one for my older pro for like $30 after a bit.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

The Apple one.

Maybe not for MSRP but I managed to get one for my older pro for like $30 after a bit.

This is the correct answer, you might be able to find a discounted fourth generation folio on sale like they do with the fourth generation magic keyboards. Technically a third generation will work, but the camera doesn’t lineup and the magnets aren’t quite as snug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This is the correct answer, you might be able to find a discounted fourth generation folio on sale like they do with the fourth generation magic keyboards. Technically a third generation will work, but the camera doesn’t lineup and the magnets aren’t quite as snug.

Unfortunately, yeah. It’s overpriced as hell at retail but I tried a few different 20-30 dollar Amazon knockoffs because I wanted the pencil holding strap for throwing my pro in to a bag. They all universally had the most horrible itchy microfiber poo poo that feels like somehow touching the sound of nails on a chalkboard, usually had weaker magnets and a much shittier fit that lead to the edges of the thing getting snagged by everything.

The material was definitely the worst part though so if you’re not overly sensitive to that material it may be passable.