Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the "actual" way is just to buy a download code
even this comes with some caveats -

someone tried buying me a code, knowing i was in europe. so they surprised me with the code, i filled it in and.... invalid code. yeah it turns out because of fuckery going back to the NES years scandinavia is on an entirely different distribution for nintendo products and we can't even use european eshop codes. we also do not have an online eshop, were unable to claim any redeemable/club nintendo codes that came with physical games back in the day and much, much more. i have no idea if there are any other countries with these kinds of special cases but it sure does suck regardless :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rutibex posted:

You ever try Banner of the Maid? I was looking at that one

I have not but they literally made Napoleon a waifu and now I feel like i really should

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Martian Manfucker posted:

Does anyone have experience changing the fan + thermal paste in their Nintendo Switch? I have an original model and it's getting a little loud and grinding and hot for my taste. I'm trying to gauge if it's something I could tackle myself. The closest thing I've done tinkering-wise is build and maintain my own computer.

Any recommendations for a fan upgrade, the quieter the better, and what kind of thermal paste would work best would be very appreciated as well.

If anyone cares I ended up doing this and it was easy. Took 30 minutes using the iFixit guide. Replaced the thermal paste on the heat shield/heat pipe with Noctua's, but didn't pry up the heat shield. Very quiet now, love it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the "actual" way is just to buy a download code

In a similar vein... is there some way to get a "physical" download code? Like, a card with an eShop redemption code with say, Pokemon, on it, that I could stuff in a card to have something for my little brother to open on Christmas? I could just email him a code but it feels nicer to give him something to open.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bought toem and garden story in the sale but instead of playing either i'm just playing ocarina of time oops

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Silver Falcon posted:

In a similar vein... is there some way to get a "physical" download code? Like, a card with an eShop redemption code with say, Pokemon, on it, that I could stuff in a card to have something for my little brother to open on Christmas? I could just email him a code but it feels nicer to give him something to open.

Walmart and Target have cards for specific eShop games. I don't know about Pokemon, but they have ones for like Hollow Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I already played and beat subnatica on my PS5 but I’m tempted to buy it again on switch just to have portable. Love that game. Does it play well?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do I eventually get a ship?

Sorry for the late reply, but you eventually get different vehicles for different obstacle types. There's never one catch-all vehicle like a Final Fantasy airship though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Do any of you have recommendations for an online co-op game? Right now we're looking at Divinity: Original Sin 2 again (as well as Phogs) but I'd love any recommendations you all can offer.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Monster hunter rise I played 100+ hours of online with friends during covid stuff

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Silver Falcon posted:

Make the card yourself and write the code in it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord help me I want to buy Dark Souls even though I've played it on PC a ton, Elden Ring comes out in 3 months and DS1 isn't even my favorite in the series.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Inzombiac posted:

Lord help me I want to buy Dark Souls even though I've played it on PC a ton, Elden Ring comes out in 3 months and DS1 isn't even my favorite in the series.

Just rebought Disgaea 5 on my Switch even though it's literally installed in my PC right now. Granted, I only played for 20-something hours, much of it idle, and i last played in December 2020. It didn't capture me on PC, but might on the Switch.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

The port's real good. It plays well on portable. Can't speak for the online features though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

I agree writing it yourself may be the best way. Also, I had fun giving Nintendo gift cards one year by printing out your own foldable coin block to put them in, like one of these:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Martman posted:

I agree writing it yourself may be the best way. Also, I had fun giving Nintendo gift cards one year by printing out your own foldable coin block to put them in, like one of these:

Hello new Easter decorations

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Well, I just picked up Odyssey cause y'all said it's good! I've wanted to play it myself for ages but the e-shop releases of first party games never seem to go on sale. I watched some people play through it but I hardly remember anything except that Peach has outfits.

Don't know when I'll get to play it but it's there!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Hello new Easter decorations

And on the third day, he rose (from the warp pipe)

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Martman posted:

Shouldn't the bottom ? block be flipped so when you fold it all together it's right side up?

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011

LionArcher posted:

I already played and beat subnatica on my PS5 but I’m tempted to buy it again on switch just to have portable. Love that game. Does it play well?

I recently put around 15hours into it and had no issues, plays excellent, some pop in and slight blurriness at times but honestly the game is so immersive you don't even notice it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The port's real good. It plays well on portable. Can't speak for the online features though.
I'll be contrary and say the port's okay but it's basically the straight up PS3 version with a few of the remastered QoL features tacked on and 1080p resolution. It's still 30fps and lacks most of the remastered graphical updates (not necessarily a bad thing depending on who you ask). The sound is also really badly compressed. If playing what's essentially the original PS3 version handheld is worth it, then go for it, otherwise the other platforms still have the definitive version.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

caldrax posted:

Shouldn't the bottom ? block be flipped so when you fold it all together it's right side up?
Thanks for ruining Christmas (but, now that you mention it, yes)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Volte posted:

I'll be contrary and say the port's okay but it's basically the straight up PS3 version with a few of the remastered QoL features tacked on and 1080p resolution. It's still 30fps and lacks most of the remastered graphical updates (not necessarily a bad thing depending on who you ask). The sound is also really badly compressed. If playing what's essentially the original PS3 version handheld is worth it, then go for it, otherwise the other platforms still have the definitive version.

Yeah I never had the other versions, all I have is a Switch, so it's great in that sense. I'm not stickler for visuals or FPS either. Thing ran smooth and it's a terrific game in its own right. I played more often docked than not, but I had stints of handheld.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm enjoying the Dragonball: Kakarot game a surprising amount. It got pretty meh reviews when it came out but it's honestly really relaxing to play and just fly around and stuff

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Martman posted:

Thanks for ruining Christmas

It's what I do

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Martman posted:

This is a cute idea. I'll see what I can do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If the kid collects Amiibo you could get them one of those and write the code on a card.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LionArcher posted:

Yeah. It used to have some pretty bad crashes on release, but it was eventually patched and I didn't see a single one after that. Below Zero was still not in great shape when I played it, but it's been long enough that I'm assuming it's been patched as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've put over 75 hours into Subnautica on Switch and it's great. Apparently, Unknown Worlds are still working on patches for it and BZ.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

Do any of you have recommendations for an online co-op game? Right now we're looking at Divinity: Original Sin 2 again (as well as Phogs) but I'd love any recommendations you all can offer.

DOS2 is so good. I never even played co-op or beat the game, but it's easily in my top game list.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Dark Souls is great on Switch solely for dropping a sign and watching football on the couch while waiting to get summoned

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Initial reviews show the Grandia HD pack as pretty buggy. Has this been patched or is still p bad?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Haven't gotten to Grandia 2 yet but 1 has a ton of little graphical things here and there, like sometimes you can see the seams between the sprites they tiled together to make the bigger characters

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

Most digital cards I see these days don't have code's on them anymore, instead the code prints onto your receipt at the point of sale. So even if you bought one you'd still need to write the code down onto the back of it. May as well go with the "make your own card" idea and create something more personal for your brother.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Have too many games so I wasn't gonna buy anything this sale. But I bought Ori, seems a good decision so far.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I bought bastion, transistor and slay the spire. will probably get sonic colours and super monkey ball before the sale is done.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ori is good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I mostly focused on buying games for friends, but I got Lost Judgement for myself. If I don't get the games I want for Christmas from friends, I'll probably pick them up next month since Christmas sales usually mirror Black Friday deals.

I want Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania, Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Xbox, and Alan Wake Remastered on PS5.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 29, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Rutibex posted:

You ever try Banner of the Maid? I was looking at that one

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have not but they literally made Napoleon a waifu and now I feel like i really should

I'd never heard of this before, and the idea is so goofy that I just might make this my one sale purchase (or at least on Switch...I also got Psychonauts 2 on PS4 :3:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

loopsheloop posted:

Dark Souls is great on Switch solely for dropping a sign and watching football on the couch while waiting to get summoned

See I want to replay it to try out the online stuff. I love using sleep mode so often (it's so loving convenient!) but it required me to be offline. I know I missed out a part of the experience but the Switch is nothing but convenient so there was no way I was depriving myself of that.