Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wheeee posted:

I’ve lived in BC all my life and to echo Rime’s statements, there is simultaneously an amazingly vast expanse of unsettled territory here at a scale unimaginable in most of the world, and industrial incursions spread across its entirety from the deepest most secluded valleys to the tops of mountains.

Could a sufficiently skilled and equipped human or small group of humans avoid all human contact if they really wanted? Probably, for a while at least, but a large primate species that would have to exist at least in the thousands managing to avoid not only direct human contact but also leaving any indirect traces of their existence? Far be it from me to say ‘impossible’ in the UAP thread but the secret large mammal hypothesis is not likely.

Then again, people have been seeing them for a thousand or more years in spite of a complete lack of material evidence, so maybe there’s something there.

And yea the PNW is pretty heavily represented here it seems!

To be clear I'm on the doesn't exist, at least in modern times, side of things.

But they haven't avoided direct human contact. There are thousands of stories. Many of those loggers themselves have stories. And there has been indirect evidence such as footprints (many of them faked of course). So the criteria is there. Able to avoid direct human contact the vast majority of the time, but not completely as evidenced by the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wheeee posted:

I’ve lived in BC all my life and to echo Rime’s statements, there is simultaneously an amazingly vast expanse of unsettled territory here at a scale unimaginable in most of the world, and industrial incursions spread across its entirety from the deepest most secluded valleys to the tops of mountains.

Could a sufficiently skilled and equipped human or small group of humans avoid all human contact if they really wanted? Probably, for a while at least, but a large primate species that would have to exist at least in the thousands managing to avoid not only direct human contact but also leaving any indirect traces of their existence? Far be it from me to say ‘impossible’ in the UAP thread but the secret large mammal hypothesis is not likely.

Then again, people have been seeing them for a thousand or more years in spite of a complete lack of material evidence, so maybe there’s something there.

And yea the PNW is pretty heavily represented here it seems!

'sup from the eastern foothills/front range

Never saw a samsquanch except on a can of Kokanee

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

Look again at that forum. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every poster who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident image macros, bad takes, and shitposts, every :huh: and :holy:, every :q: and :shrek:, every :tinfoil: and :wtc:, every :btroll: and :krakken:, every :tinylue:, every :aatrek: and :downs:, :haibrower:, :2bong: and :ducksiren:, every :barf:, every :c00lbutt:, every :a2m:, every :circlefap:, every :3: and :eyepop: in the history of our species posted there--on a mote of dust suspended in a flooded New Orleans server room.

The Forums are a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those mods and admins so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless red text avatars visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this forum on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to report one another, how fervent their QCS posts.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position on the Internet, are challenged by this Alexa traffic rank. Our forum is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

Something Awful is the only forum known so far to harbor goons. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Forums are where we make our stand.

It has been said that posting is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our dead, gay forum. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the UAP thread in the lefist shitposting subforum of Something Awful, the only home we've ever known.

— Carl Sagan

Incredible.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a squatch that brings down a tree at exactly 7 PM every day in the proximity of a human intruder isn't really a "large mammal" in the sense of like, a bear or even a gorilla. sounds to me more like an uncontacted tribe situation and from my understanding uncontacted humans can be extremely elusive if they don't want to talk to the weird white guys traipsing into their home

ofc the "exactly 7 PM" part is the weirdest. uncontacted tribe of squatches with wristwatches??

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i browse this thread and just wanted to say i appreciate it, ty best thread

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They could do something kind of crazy, like bring navy seals or experienced gorilla poachers in, and see if they can turn anything up, that would at least be an interesting discovery channel commercial filler.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
been thinking about how if a physical hominid-style bigfoot just walked into some small pnw town one day like a hungry coyote.

just finally got desperate enough to wander out of the woods down into a town and started rummaging around for food

it would instantly become the most famous person/hominid on earth. literaly permanent A++ list, literal Bigfoot. though it may not be able to appreciate that.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

That would certainly be an as yet unknown phenomena. "An area from which the reflection of light does not occur" would be about as extraordinary as aliens; wouldn't it would imply it's possible to make cloaking devices?

Yeah that would be new and clearly of interest to any military. Also it doesn't match the observations - people clearly report seeing structured craft, not just black shapes.

It has these tenuous at best conclusions based on unknown/new physics/anything but aliens for all of the observed characteristics:
- impossible speed/maneouvers: its just a plasma object with zero mass
- ufo causes warped human perceptions: its just a plasma object that has unknown electrical properties that effect the human brain
- ufo interferes with electrical systems on vehicles: its just a plasma object that has unknown electrical properties that effect equipment
- ufo responds to people shining lights at them: its just a plasma object that is responding to the em energy being put into it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sharkie posted:

been thinking about how if a physical hominid-style bigfoot just walked into some small pnw town one day like a hungry coyote.

just finally got desperate enough to wander out of the woods down into a town and started rummaging around for food

it would instantly become the most famous person/hominid on earth. literaly permanent A++ list, literal Bigfoot. though it may not be able to appreciate that.

“Mr. Bigfoot, your people have managed to elude humanity for countless generations, what brings you now into the open?”

“Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Inspector Hound posted:

They could do something kind of crazy, like bring navy seals or experienced gorilla poachers in, and see if they can turn anything up, that would at least be an interesting discovery channel commercial filler.

That's too expensive for Discovery. You're getting half a dozen people that shouldn't be trusted within 50 feet of firearms with flashlights and bad storytelling.

It is the Discovery way. Unless someone else is paying the bulk and wants the publicity, or it proves exceptionally popular as a concept, you're getting over-armed rednecks, half of which probably have gout.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

My 600lb Sasquatch

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I knew a guy who would go out on these extremely ill-advised solo camping trips to the far north reaches of canada year after year so he could commune with the forest spirits (he claimed to be a druid, I think he communed by eating a shitload of drugs but at one point he was convinced he could speak to bears), I have to assume he either was or saw the samsquanch

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

my bony fealty posted:

I went there too for undergrad and the creepiest experience I had was in a cemetery a bit off campus. was walking through late at night with some pals, sticking to the paths because gently caress going off of em in the dark, we may or may not have been stoned. I'm looking around and what at first seems to be a particularly spooky grave marker of a hooded statue, maybe an angel or whatever, resolves after a second to really look like an actual person in a hooded robe standing there. it's maybe 30 or 40 feet away out where the graves are.

I'm spooked and kinda pause looking at the thing and it's not moving at all so ok, it's a statue, creepy but OK.

that's when I notice that it isn't the only one. on both sides there are similar looking figures, not evenly spaced out like you'd expect the graves to be but all around the area, one partially behind a tree. there's maybe 6 or 7 in total that I could see.

I got freaked the gently caress out and said we needed to leave and pointed my friends' eyes the same way. we were outta there maybe 2 minutes later.

I went back to that graveyard during the day later and nope, no statues there. maybe it was shadows and weed, maybe it was some secret society larping. maybe the cemetery hooded guy was the one playing piano angrily. alls I know is that campus and town is pretty fuckin creepy at night.

The only time I was in that graveyard was for the triathlon and I’m glad
I never went in again

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
alaska used to have manatees, all gone now though. my fav dumb option would be sasquatch is real and also really extinct.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

munce posted:

Unidentified Aerial Phenomena in the UK Air Defence Region
December 2000
https://webarchive.nationalarchives...fenceRegion.htm

A previously secret report now available in the UK national archives. Some interesting points.

- UAP are real and occur daily, world wide
- Many kinds of lights/shapes reported
- Extreme speed, maneouverability, hovering etc
- UK actively collected reports and had a database at least 30 years long (as of 2000)

Then goes on to blame it all on on misidentifications of normal objects, or new not yet understood atmospheric phenomena/plasmas, like this:
"Occasionally and perhaps exceptionally, it seems that a field with, as yet, undetermined characteristics, can exist between certain charged buoyant objects in loose formation, such that, depending on the viewing aspect, the intervening space between them forms an area (viewed as a shape, often triangular), from which the reflection of light does not occur. This is a key finding in the attribution of what have frequently been reported as black 'craft', often triangular and even up to hundreds of feet in length."

Nothing to see move along birdbrains. Anyway its an interesting read and i've only read the executive summary. The whole thing is huge and includes loads of reports as appendices.

Number of incidents from the UK alone. crazy

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Very real video definitely coming soon:

https://twitter.com/UAPRAEFOS/status/1465110437557456896?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://twitter.com/UAPRAEFOS/status/1465174472051204098

lol promising attitude

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

That would certainly be an as yet unknown phenomena. "An area from which the reflection of light does not occur" would be about as extraordinary as aliens; wouldn't it would imply it's possible to make cloaking devices?
I've mentioned it a few times over the years, but that's a pretty good description of VantaBlack. I've seen it a few times and it's like looking through a hole in reality. I'm sure that anyone looking at making stealth tech has looked at it.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

The guy has his own youtube page. Looks like a lot of plastic bags and a few possibly interesting disks.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAntonioUrzi

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

munce posted:

The guy has his own youtube page. Looks like a lot of plastic bags and a few possibly interesting disks.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAntonioUrzi

reminds me of this guy who has some decent ufo vids:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ScottWaring/videos

but then you find out he is completely insane
https://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/p/alien-faces-59.html

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

this is the best thread on the forums. that matter of fact info drop about a russian sub (On 7 July 2019 at the sailors' funeral, Captain Sergei Pavlov, an aide to the Russian Navy head, proclaimed the crew "prevented a planetary catastrophe". wtf is that supposed to mean, how did it make it into the wiki article?) i'm feeling like a millenial mulder, gonna walk up to my wife after work with a stack of reddit threads and old news articles and tell her to pack her bags, we're flying out to northern israel in the morning to investigate mermaid sightings

i used to read the mysterious thread in pyf but the baby brains in that forum mostly turned it into the serial killers and child abuse megathread. this thread is everything i ever wanted from that one

btw i've mentioned him before but bob gymlan's youtube channel is great for bigfoot stuff. he's very level headed and has made me go from thinking bigfoots are loony bullshit to wondering what's actually out in the mountains. good stuff

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bigfoot, for me, is in a similar place as UFOs pre Navy disclosures. The amount of stories are really intriguing, but the lack of any trustworthy hard evidence - especially given the number of people looking who would really, really like to find it - mean I can't quite actually bring myself to conclude something is out there. They're also in a similar niche where there's stories from literally all over the world of similar creatures; pretty much any area with difficult, hard to penetrate wilderness will have stories of ape-men.

Now, get me guncam footage from an F-18 intercept of a bigfoot, and we'll see.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Log082 posted:

Bigfoot, for me, is in a similar place as UFOs pre Navy disclosures. The amount of stories are really intriguing, but the lack of any trustworthy hard evidence - especially given the number of people looking who would really, really like to find it - mean I can't quite actually bring myself to conclude something is out there. They're also in a similar niche where there's stories from literally all over the world of similar creatures; pretty much any area with difficult, hard to penetrate wilderness will have stories of ape-men.

Now, get me guncam footage from an F-18 intercept of a bigfoot, and we'll see.

squad of A10s encountering a tribe of big titty bigfoots and just lighting them the hell up :911:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
A few more tales of weird-stuff-in-the-woods (more in the link):

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/10/if-you-go-out-in-woods.html

quote:

Near Cisco Grove, California on the night of September 5, 1964 Donald Schrum, a 27-year old employee of a local missile production plant became separated from his two bow-and-arrow hunting companions. As dusk approached he took shelter in a tree, lashing himself to a branch with his belt. After settling in, Schrum - identified only as "Mr S" in the files of the US Air Force's Project Blue Book - saw three objects in the darkening sky, a rotating and protruding light afixed to each that emitted "cooing" noises. Mr S thought they were rescue helicopters, searching for him, so he climbed down the tree and set signal fires. It was then, he realized they were not helicopters.

They were three somethings, [I can find no description of the appearance, other than "strange looking" and "different than anything he'd seen before"], shining beams of bright white lights, and they were circling his location. As he watched them descend, from beneath two of them, two smaller objects were delivered to the ground. Soon after he lost sight of them, he heard a loud crashing in the underbrush, and frightened, climbed to the lower branches of a tall pine tree.

Dr J Allen Hynek picks up the story, in The Hynek UFO Report:

He thereupon witnessed two humanlike individuals approaching his signal fires. They were garbed in silbery collarless suits, had unusual protruding eyes, and communicated to one another via an unintelligible cooing noise. According to Mr S., they were trying to dislodge him from his tree position when a third "alien," described by Mr S. as a "robot," appeared on the scene. Mr S. fired some arrows at the "robot" but failed to distract or divert any of the strange individuals. [Another account reports that when he finally hit the robot, "there was an arc flash and the robot was knocked backwards."] Then he tried lighting parts of his clothing on fire and throwing it at them to frighten them away. The individuals had violent reactions, and at the same time their craft began to ascend upwards, emitting a vapor which caused him to black out.

Schrum regained consciousness in the early dawn, found his companions and told them what had happened. Later, he told his father-in-law, who persuaded him to talk to authorities. Hynek mentions that the Air Force report notes "Mr S" appeared "stable and consistent in telling his story," though it explained the alleged sighting as "psychological." The Air Force kept the tape of Schrum's narrative, as well as one of the arrows he had fired at the robot.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

who gives a poo poo if bigfeet are real theyre great either way

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

G:tinylue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yX6ETCKyPo

nothing new to anyone who's been paying attention, but another step in pushing the narrative out a little further into the general populace

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failson posted:

A few more tales of weird-stuff-in-the-woods (more in the link):

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/10/if-you-go-out-in-woods.html

I always thought that story was particularly spooky. Like, that would be absolutely terrifying

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dggbx/canada-military-rcaf-ufos-sightings

:canada: is basically the dumber loser sibling of :911:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
"when u already p'nutted but shes still astral projecting" is my kinda ufo thread :awesome:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dont you forget your monday promises azathoth

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

dont you forget your monday promises azathoth

I will do my best

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

who gives a poo poo if bigfeet are real theyre great either way

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

:canada: is basically the dumber loser sibling of :911:

lol a thousand Canadian internet nerds just became enraged and they don't know why

Rah! has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Nov 29, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

"when u already p'nutted but shes still astral projecting" is my kinda ufo thread :awesome:

:tinylue:
:yosbutt:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

My 600lb Sasquatch

turn on my monitor

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Edit: Sorry folks, they're all claimed.

Okay , I've got 5 more free gangtags to give away. I think I got everyone who expressed an interest earlier (13 of you aspiring whackadoos holy crap), so if you'd like one the next 5 people to quote this post who have more than (let's say) 10 posts in this thread will get it added on to your existing av for free. If you've got 2 or more gangtags, lemme know which two you want to keep, admins are cracking down on that and won't approve it if there's more than 2 gangtags.

Serious credit goes to Bilirubin for absolutely kicking rear end with the design.

Azathoth has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Nov 30, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man I want it but I'm going to defer to my ufhomies

That's cool you're doing that, though :unsmith:

EDIT I'm trawling the ufo reddits (as I do a bit too often now lol), and it's amazing how they have a hierarchy of bird-brainedness. UAP is very sober and dull, UFOs is very active but a bit dnd, then UFO, Aliens, and finally UFOBelievers get progressively more...let's say, cosmic

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Nov 29, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hooplah posted:

this is the best thread on the forums. that matter of fact info drop about a russian sub (On 7 July 2019 at the sailors' funeral, Captain Sergei Pavlov, an aide to the Russian Navy head, proclaimed the crew "prevented a planetary catastrophe". wtf is that supposed to mean, how did it make it into the wiki article?) i'm feeling like a millenial mulder, gonna walk up to my wife after work with a stack of reddit threads and old news articles and tell her to pack her bags, we're flying out to northern israel in the morning to investigate mermaid sightings

i used to read the mysterious thread in pyf but the baby brains in that forum mostly turned it into the serial killers and child abuse megathread. this thread is everything i ever wanted from that one

btw i've mentioned him before but bob gymlan's youtube channel is great for bigfoot stuff. he's very level headed and has made me go from thinking bigfoots are loony bullshit to wondering what's actually out in the mountains. good stuff

The sub was probably carrying or testing on of those prototype nuclear-powered ballistic super torpedos designed to salt entire seaboards with long-decay isotopes and render them both uninhabitable and unusable for industrial purposes.

Aren't humans wonderful?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Okay , I've got 5 more free gangtags to give away. I think I got everyone who expressed an interest earlier (13 of you aspiring whackadoos holy crap), so if you'd like one the next 5 people to quote this post who have more than (let's say) 10 posts in this thread will get it added on to your existing av for free. If you've got 2 or more gangtags, lemme know which two you want to keep, admins are cracking down on that and won't approve it if there's more than 2 gangtags.

Serious credit goes to Bilirubin for absolutely kicking rear end with the design.

yes plz, feel free to nuke my stupid custom text from orbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm just a returning aitee neophyte, no gangtag for me please.

Two more from the early aughts that have always stuck with me:

There was a big UFO seen over Stephenville, TX. Heavy "Nothing to see here, citizen." vibe, especially considering the Bush ranch is like 30 miles away:

https://www.npr.org/2008/01/16/18146244/dozens-claim-they-spotted-ufo-in-texas

quote:

Faster than a speeding bullet — and bigger than a Wal-Mart.

That's how residents near the west Texas town of Stephenville described an object they spotted in the sky one night last week.

Dozens of people — including a pilot and a police officer — said a UFO hovered over the farming community for about five minutes last Tuesday before streaking away into the night sky.

Pilot Steve Allen saw the object when he was out clearing brush off a hilltop near the town of Selden. Allen described the unidentified object as being an enormous aircraft with flashing strobe lights — and it was totally silent.

He said the UFO sped away at more than 3,000 mph, followed by two fighter jets that were hopelessly outmaneuvered. Allen said it took the aircraft just a few seconds to cross a section of sky that it takes him 20 minutes to fly in his Cessna.

The veteran pilot said the UFO, an estimated half-mile wide and a mile long, was "bigger than a Wal-Mart."

These reports of glowing orbs murdering people in Uttar Pradesh also really spooked me too:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/police-sceptical-as-seven-reported-dead-in-ufo-attacks-1.432849

quote:

Indian villagers claim they are being attacked by flying spheres which emit red and blue lights. At least seven people have died in the last week of unexplained injuries in the state of Uttar Pradesh.

Many others have suffered scratches and surface wounds which they say happened while they slept.

Raghuraj Pal, whose neighbour Ramji Pal died recently in Shanwa, said: "A mysterious flying object attacked him in the night. His stomach was ripped open. He died two days later."

Doctors say such stories are nothing but mass hysteria while police say insects might be responsible.