Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

egg tats posted:

farscape is perfect and should not be revisited because it would not be allowed to remain perfect

There's no way a remake would work because good puppet sfx is insanely expensive. The new Dark crystal show was wildly expensive for that reason and probably why it didn't get a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

gotta say coming off recording an episode for an podcast about suffering through dollhouse to see this thread talking about joss whedon (and remembering dollhouse exists) is giving me some weird deja vu

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are bits of Dollhouse I quite like and from interviews and such I get the impression those were the bits Whedon hated.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1464698167388217345

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

speaking of joss

https://twitter.com/ezwrites/status/1463513112036970496

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why does youtube even have a downvote feature? All the nazi trash the algorithm tries to feed me is not well-liked at all.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why does youtube even have a downvote feature? All the nazi trash the algorithm tries to feed me is not well-liked at all.

Because now they can more blatantly feed us downvoted videos because a downvote is still an "interaction" and therefore correlates higher with advertiser clickthrough bla bla bla or such.

They already didn't hide downvoted videos, now they don't even have to pretend it's a quirk of The Algorithm that these negative ratio videos still end up in your feed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

all the socmed platforms value interactions more than anything else and you downvoting/disliking/giving negative comments or reporting them actually count as increased engagement

I posted ages ago in another thread explaining that the Facebook advertisement algorithm and reporting systems are absolutely broken:

1. I got normal adverts targeted at my demographic (food, furniture, computers, mattresses) in English/Chinese everywhere except my workplace (at the time)

2. My workplace was close to a bunch of construction sites, and being in Malaysia, a large number of construction workers are Bangladesh migrants

3. When I reached my workplace all my adverts turned into Bangladesh scam videos in their language, highlighting getting rich, wives, divine blessings / interventions, or mansions. Once I left for home or elsewhere, these adverts turned to the ones in Item 1

4. I would get one or two at first among a bunch of normal adverts

5. The videos ate up mobile data and cache space, so I started reporting them as "not relevant to my interest" to Facebook

6. Facebook registered these reports as interactions, which meant I was interested in seeing more of them

7. All my adverts on Facebook when I was at my workplace became Bangladesh scams

8. Being frustrated, I reported more of them

9. All my adverts on Facebook when I'm everywhere in the world became Bangladesh scams

10. This only stopped when lockdown happened and I stopped looking at Facebook on the phone and could use a laptop with ublock on

The moral may be "don't use facebook" but every single socmed platform is like this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Clearly the answer is a Netflix Live Action adaption of Outlaw Sta-- *immediately turns to stone*

My home is the swamp. Do not bring your evil here.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

5. The videos ate up mobile data and cache space, so I started reporting them as "not relevant to my interest" to Facebook

6. Facebook registered these reports as interactions, which meant I was interested in seeing more of them

The moral may be "don't use facebook" but every single socmed platform is like this

THAT'S interesting, cause I can pretty much assume that when I say "don't show me this poo poo youtube" they won't. Commenting on people I went to high school with's bullshit about how it was wrong made Facebook end up showing me literally nothing but that, but I understood why. If Facebook is even registering you reporting scams as interactions, it's just a nightmare hole.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

is farscape problematic too or can we just bring that back

I rewatched it relatively recently and I'm sorry to say...

It actually holds up real well and you should totally watch it again :yayclod:.

Thundersword238 posted:

Are people seriously saying that Death Note is the best anime adaptation when we have Alita AND Speed Racer?

I actually hold that the Japanese live-action Death Note duology adaptation is the best telling of the story because it wraps up with the confrontation between L and Light, rather than that whole glacial second arc.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Grondoth posted:

THAT'S interesting, cause I can pretty much assume that when I say "don't show me this poo poo youtube" they won't. Commenting on people I went to high school with's bullshit about how it was wrong made Facebook end up showing me literally nothing but that, but I understood why. If Facebook is even registering you reporting scams as interactions, it's just a nightmare hole.

Youtube is a bit better, but it's not great either. I barely use the (dis)like, subscribe or comment features, let alone chat (which means i'm the worst kind of consumer on youtube that all content creators hate), and I watch stuff based on searches, links on other sites incl SA/twitter/FB, and whatever appears when I type youtube.com in the address bar.

So let's say I click a link of someone making fun of ben shapiro. This prompts youtube to give me Shapiro's channel on my feed. No biggie, I'll just click "not interested in this channel" and it goes away. But I'll still get recommended Rogan and Peterson, so I click them and they go away too, but then thequartering turns up, and then I have to click more and more away and then I get that insane 12 hour video of Mauler saying why jenny nicholson's joker review is bad.

This goes on until I finally stop watching youtube but put on a few videos titled "12 HOUR ASMR CHAKRA CLEANSING SOUND BATH FOR SLEEP/STUDY/RELAX" over several nights when I go to bed, and allow my feed to be dominated by videos of people twirling fingers around singing bowls. I click a few more of those sound bath videos until one night they don't help with my sleep, so I groggily click on something called "UNLEASH YOUR INNER SOUL DMT RELEASE PSYCHEDELIA", which prompts youtube to think, aha, this dude loves some weed content, so I get "chill tunes to smoke bongs to while naked" which is cool -

- until one of the channels producing those content posts "SLEEP TO THIS 5 HOUR MIX TO BECOME RICH AND MAKE MONEY" (I'm paraphrasing the title, but this video exists), and then I click that out of curiosity and discover it is the same track as the DMT RELEASE video but on reverb and with slideshows of money.jpg with the photobucket watermark still intact.

And then I get MLM videos and yacht reviews.

It's one month later, and Shapiro's channel reappears on my feed.

the moral is to use hbomberguy's youtube extension to disable these right wing content, so what happened to me in reality was a bunch of video game streamers i don't care for. I used smolben as an example because it was the most visceral and off-putting one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

pentyne posted:

There's no way a remake would work because good puppet sfx is insanely expensive. The new Dark crystal show was wildly expensive for that reason and probably why it didn't get a second season.

I remember an interview where I think O'Banon said Farscape was 5mil per episode and that was 20 years ago.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Youtube is a bit better, but it's not great either. I barely use the (dis)like, subscribe or comment features, let alone chat (which means i'm the worst kind of consumer on youtube that all content creators hate), and I watch stuff based on searches, links on other sites incl SA/twitter/FB, and whatever appears when I type youtube.com in the address bar.

So let's say I click a link of someone making fun of ben shapiro. This prompts youtube to give me Shapiro's channel on my feed. No biggie, I'll just click "not interested in this channel" and it goes away. But I'll still get recommended Rogan and Peterson, so I click them and they go away too, but then thequartering turns up, and then I have to click more and more away and then I get that insane 12 hour video of Mauler saying why jenny nicholson's joker review is bad.

This goes on until I finally stop watching youtube but put on a few videos titled "12 HOUR ASMR CHAKRA CLEANSING SOUND BATH FOR SLEEP/STUDY/RELAX" over several nights when I go to bed, and allow my feed to be dominated by videos of people twirling fingers around singing bowls. I click a few more of those sound bath videos until one night they don't help with my sleep, so I groggily click on something called "UNLEASH YOUR INNER SOUL DMT RELEASE PSYCHEDELIA", which prompts youtube to think, aha, this dude loves some weed content, so I get "chill tunes to smoke bongs to while naked" which is cool -

- until one of the channels producing those content posts "SLEEP TO THIS 5 HOUR MIX TO BECOME RICH AND MAKE MONEY" (I'm paraphrasing the title, but this video exists), and then I click that out of curiosity and discover it is the same track as the DMT RELEASE video but on reverb and with slideshows of money.jpg with the photobucket watermark still intact.

And then I get MLM videos and yacht reviews.

It's one month later, and Shapiro's channel reappears on my feed.

the moral is to use hbomberguy's youtube extension to disable these right wing content, so what happened to me in reality was a bunch of video game streamers i don't care for. I used smolben as an example because it was the most visceral and off-putting one.
Mate the hbomberguy youtube extension got taken off the google chrome store what are you talking about?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Annointed posted:

Mate the hbomberguy youtube extension got taken off the google chrome store what are you talking about?

https://github.com/dafrancis/hbombs_youtube_censorship_addon

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It completely mystifies me how I manage to avoid getting any kind of content like that.

All I get are recs for music and anime girls. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just fall down the vtuber rabbit hole and you'll never worry about getting recommendations for anything else again, problem solved

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I heavily use the Not Interested [I don't like this] button on my recommends and generally they're pretty good, but because of how Youtube works a forum thread will post one "* Roasts Franklin" meme that I click on to play and then I'll just be inundated with the same dumb poo poo until I scrub that initial one from my history because Youtube retired the option to opt out of recommends based on a single video. Same thing with vtuber videos because it can't differentiate between them due to the shotgun approach of subbing channels.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

So let's say I click a link of someone making fun of ben shapiro. This prompts youtube to give me Shapiro's channel on my feed. No biggie, I'll just click "not interested in this channel" and it goes away.

you can delete the initial video from your watch history and itll stop recommending stuff based on it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I simply select "Don't recommend channel" when I see something I don't like, works well to not get recommended uninteresting garbage like Marques Brownlee. I also don't watch right-wing politics video, so I don't get those recommendations in the first place.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

It completely mystifies me how I manage to avoid getting any kind of content like that.

All I get are recs for music and anime girls. :v:

My antivírus decided to clear all cookies from my browser of choice which included a lot of content creation SAVE for Wendigoon's conspiracy iceberg behemoth, so it's going by that and from me residing in Portugal. The only major news outlet that heavily invested on YouTube here is a Spectator-like and the second largest of note is literally Prager U sponsored. Mind you this is not when I'm logged in.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 29, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best live action anime adaptation is Guyver: Dark Hero that was made on a budget of ten dollars and is bizarrely faithful to the source material despite being from 1994 and nobody in the west caring about guyver

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It may be the country I am in, but I have never gotten anything rightwing recommended to me no matter how much I watch people dunk on them.
Still can see the dislike bar as well..

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It takes Youtube ages to give me recommendations for things it knows I do like, never mind stuff it should know that I don't want.

Spotify, however, either cannot or will not stop recommending me Jordan Petersen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeafNote posted:

It may be the country I am in, but I have never gotten anything rightwing recommended to me no matter how much I watch people dunk on them.
Still can see the dislike bar as well..
closest i ever get is windmill tilting about goddamn sjw translators ruining video games. its hard to find videos documenting localization changes in games/old anime dubs that don't have a whiff of that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I've found out there are way more get rich while you sleep videos than I anticipated (which was 1) but this was the one that I clicked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN7mceqQcaY

I'll take the recommended method to delete it off my history though! I didn't even know that function exists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I regularly clear out my watch history but even then it doesn't take long before I'm right back where I started anyway. I assume it must also be looking at stuff in your likes, favorites, watch later and any playlists you have saved.

Also I get random videos that it just insists I must be interested in. 'The Great Dying: The Permian Mass Extinction' 'Understand Native English Speakers with this Advanced Listening Lesson'

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually hold that the Japanese live-action Death Note duology adaptation is the best telling of the story because Chairman Kaga is Light's Dad

:hai:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

the best live action anime adaptation is Guyver: Dark Hero that was made on a budget of ten dollars and is bizarrely faithful to the source material despite being from 1994 and nobody in the west caring about guyver

Yeah, while it features some extremely bad acting with the female lead, it's got Michael Berryman and Jeffery Combs so you'll have a good time. Also Mark Hammill turns into a cockroach, so that's nice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, while it features some extremely bad acting with the female lead, it's got Michael Berryman and Jeffery Combs so you'll have a good time. Also Mark Hammill turns into a cockroach, so that's nice.

no that's the first Guyver movie, Guyver: Dark Hero was the direct to video "sequel" starring David Hayter

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Lotus Aura posted:

Spotify, however, either cannot or will not stop recommending me Jordan Petersen.

Get yourself someone who loves you as much as Spotify loves recommending me Thin Lizzy.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Grondoth posted:

My facebook strategy has been 3 things to strike a deal with the beast:

1) Actually click on, and shop from, an ad for a place that sells something interesting to you. In peak lockdown this worked really well because a bunch of local mom & pop grocery stores and restaurant supply companies started offering delivery and were advertising, and I was happy to oblige. Even one or two of those purchases helped shape my ads for months to come. I get the anger over ads, but the declaration of folks "I will never buy something from an ad I see" won't make youtube or facebook stop sending you ads, they'll just send even scammier and more desperate ads.

Plus, hey, I found (and gave repeat business to) a nice Turkish specialty shop and and nice Indian grocery store to help compliment my regular grocery deliveries, and found a few other smaller makers for things like cider, beer, spices, condiments etc. that tasted awesome. Win win. Sometimes you need to trade a bit with the beast.

2) For dealing with posts on your feed, aggressively like/react to/comment on any/every real post made by your friends that aren't shares from relatable content mills or internet arguments. I had 2 or three friends who would just spam shares from meme/relatable content sites and because those are boosted posts they completely devoured my feed. So I started just liking/reacting to *every* reasonable post made by friends. Are they saying they woke up? Great, give that a like! Complaining about it being cold? Give a sad! Sharing a funny meme? Great, don't react at all because that'll fill your feed!

After doing that for about a week it toned down the shares and "hey, let's you drag you into an internet fight your friend is in" posts. And if they're totally full of shares, sonnze/unfollow or unfriend. Speaking of...

3) Don't join in on internet fights if you don't want to see internet fights all day. Your feed wants to make you angry and :justpost: by showing you Karens being smug assholes? Great, leave the poop alone if you don't want your feed full of things meant to make you angry. If you want to fight online, then do so and you'll have all the fights you want.

Lotus Aura posted:

It takes Youtube ages to give me recommendations for things it knows I do like, never mind stuff it should know that I don't want.

Youtube loves to give me recs for audio plugins or occasionally music, see above the strategy of actually buying something from it. Found a couple of bands that way.

And yeah, every few months Youtube forgets that I'm not interested in Ben Shapiro and his ilk and I have to remind them, no, I'm not a total fuckwit, only a partial one, go away.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I almost exclusively get videos I've watched before. Even knew I literally just watched previously. Not sure how to unfuck that.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mix. posted:

gotta say coming off recording an episode for an podcast about suffering through dollhouse to see this thread talking about joss whedon (and remembering dollhouse exists) is giving me some weird deja vu

Dollhouse was basically Whedon going horny on main (or rather, more horny on main than he was normally). I wish I could find the post, but there was someone in TVIV who pointed out that they had read some erotic short story that was 1-for-1 the exact premise and plot as Dollhouse. They went looking for the story, only to find that it had been scrubbed from whatever site it was on, and that (based on what was in the wayback machine) the scrubbing has occurred around the time Dollhouse went into development. At the time, I thought the idea that Whedon had taken some literal internet porn and made it a network TV show was an amusing-but-far-fetched idea. Now, I wonder if it might have actually been what happened.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Dawgstar posted:

I didnt need to be reminded of that loving nightmare fuel...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Dollhouse was basically Whedon going horny on main (or rather, more horny on main than he was normally). I wish I could find the post, but there was someone in TVIV who pointed out that they had read some erotic short story that was 1-for-1 the exact premise and plot as Dollhouse. They went looking for the story, only to find that it had been scrubbed from whatever site it was on, and that (based on what was in the wayback machine) the scrubbing has occurred around the time Dollhouse went into development. At the time, I thought the idea that Whedon had taken some literal internet porn and made it a network TV show was an amusing-but-far-fetched idea. Now, I wonder if it might have actually been what happened.

It’s really telling that the only thing he could think to do with the premise was a thousand variations on disgusting sex stuff. Also that his lovable ragtag crew of misfits that time around are human traffickers and that never really has any consequence for how lovable and fun they are, despite the barest attempt to make it seem like it might.

In retrospect the most upsetting part of the series is the episode where Patton Oswald plays a man who hires sex workers to reenact his last day with his wife before she died unexpectedly. I’m glad it will die in obscurity and has never had a run on cable anywhere.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

It’s really telling that the only thing he could think to do with the premise was a thousand variations on disgusting sex stuff. Also that his lovable ragtag crew of misfits that time around are human traffickers and that never really has any consequence for how lovable and fun they are, despite the barest attempt to make it seem like it might.

In retrospect the most upsetting part of the series is the episode where Patton Oswald plays a man who hires sex workers to reenact his last day with his wife before she died unexpectedly. I’m glad it will die in obscurity and has never had a run on cable anywhere.

The DVD only episodes set in a future where being able to wipe people's minds remotely has, unsurprisingly, utterly hosed up everything, was an interesting idea, but yeah, DVD only because we needed all the actually aired episodes to be Joss Whedon's List Of Sexy Outfits For Eliza Dushku To Wear: The Series.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I remember seeing a Whedon interview where he mentioned that he was something like halfway into production of the first season when he realized "wait, is this human trafficking?"

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

LanceHunter posted:

oh my god if you find this post PLEASE quote me with a link so i can inflict it on my co-hosts because that'd just be the icing on this poo poo cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i simply do not use youtubes recommendation features or the explore button so i dont care what it tries to throw at me. i watch a lot of insane poo poo but ever since they changed the algorithm it refuses to show me anything with a double to triple digit view count so its useless to me

this is so spineless lol. weakly giving them accolades for taking your call and then blowing you and everyone else off in obvious favor of big companies is pathetic