Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Larry felt a personal obligation to help someone he wronged, why is this hard to understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

SirPablo posted:

Larry felt a personal obligation to help someone he wronged, why is this hard to understand?

People can't get over their own hangups about poo poo to enjoy a comedy show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Larry would also expect and demand that treatment if someone spilled on himself. Doing this in the extreme to a terrible person allows him to point to this later when someone wrongs him.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

"How do you know prayer doesn't work?"

"I'm bald."

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't he get mad at someone for wearing a maga hat last season?

He spends most of the episode wearing a MAGA hat to avoid lunch dates/free up seating around him at a sushi bar/dissuade bikers from kicking his rear end.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Suzie agreed to do it so that she could sabotage it.

Larry did it because taking social obligations to an extreme end is his whole deal. Larry even kind of realizes that he's being stupid at the cleaners when the guy calls him out about why he's so afraid of pissing off the "nice" klansman.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Holy poo poo. I haven't laughed so hard at anything in a while. Larry sitting down to eat at the start of the episode while the ones guys dad was having a heart attack. Brilliant.

This part killed me, too. Not just that he was eating, but how he was doing it with the cheesy pasta up high.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
How many episodes of Curb/Seinfeld have revolved around lost/forgotten/borrowed items of clothing?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Freddy asking for Larry to give up his favorite shirt as penance made me laugh out loud. Was a bit disappointed Larry's favorite shirt survived through the end of the episode without being similarly ruined.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't mean this as nitpicking but imo the jokes don't work when it's not just unrelatable but also don't match the established characters or even internal logic.

Larry is often illogical and obsessive about weird stuff. He's a loving weirdo. I think it helps if you know somebody like him in real life. Most people just aren't consistent, especially people who are well known weirdos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That eulogy is the funniest thing they've done in years I feel lol. Just so petty

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Whole episode is fire wow

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I like the season so far, but if feels like every episode has stuff recycled from past seasons. Larry trying to force a studio to cast Cheryl on the Seinfeld reunion, the Japanese chefs calling him Chicken Teriyaki Boy, he and Ted Danson fighting over shirts, someone announcing to everyone at an anniversary that LD isn't there. Jeff even said a line from Seinfeld.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
who cares, its funny

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Loved seeing Larry eat poo poo this episode after the last one where he bent over backwards to help the bigot, but his friend he's like bare minimum effort. I was with him for the heart-attack and funeral. Funerals suck so can't fault anyone for not going, I didn't wanna go to any funeral I've been at and wish I'd rather not. And yeah, tf you supposed to do when someone's having a heart attack, paramedics already on way? Also just golden rule, if I had a heart attack I wouldn't want everyone to stop and gawk at me in an embarrassing moment of failure.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
While it wasn’t a funeral, I have turned around and not gone to events because gently caress LA traffic and getting over the hill.

My husband mentioned again that I am Larry David and it worries him. :devil:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Khanstant posted:

Loved seeing Larry eat poo poo this episode after the last one where he bent over backwards to help the bigot, but his friend he's like bare minimum effort. I was with him for the heart-attack and funeral. Funerals suck so can't fault anyone for not going, I didn't wanna go to any funeral I've been at and wish I'd rather not. And yeah, tf you supposed to do when someone's having a heart attack, paramedics already on way? Also just golden rule, if I had a heart attack I wouldn't want everyone to stop and gawk at me in an embarrassing moment of failure.

I think with the bigot he's initially willing to put in the same level of effort (take it to the dry cleaners vs calling the company that makes the shirt to try and get a replacement) but when that doesn't fix the issue he's willing to just shrug and say he tried, it's just that he's scared of the bigot so he ultimately can't bail on the effort the same way he does to Freddie

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I like the season so far, but if feels like every episode has stuff recycled from past seasons. Larry trying to force a studio to cast Cheryl on the Seinfeld reunion, the Japanese chefs calling him Chicken Teriyaki Boy, he and Ted Danson fighting over shirts, someone announcing to everyone at an anniversary that LD isn't there. Jeff even said a line from Seinfeld.

Curb steals from itself a lot, but I think that's part of the charm. It's the same set of awful people with the same dumb problems forever. It's probably the most predictable show on the air and that doesn't impact its quality at all.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm going to go ahead and guess that Young Larry doesn't happen because old Larry takes some principled but stupid stand on something, resulting in the show getting shut down.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

robot roll call posted:

"How do you know prayer doesn't work?"

"I'm bald."

I almost choked on my sweet potato fry.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Don't take the Perrier, that's an act of war.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Awesome episode!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate Vince Vaughn not playing himself.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

"you gotta have some underwear awerness"

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lol "once your balls are dangling, it's over!"

e: dunno if I'd accept advice from "long-balls Larry"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that was the worst episode in a while, though I did like the argument with Seth Rogen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A For Effort posted:

Awesome episode!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think that was the worst episode in a while

This happens every week

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Humor is very personal!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

I think that was the worst episode in a while, though I did like the argument with Seth Rogen.

Yea wasn't amazing. Actually found myself bored at some points.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Probably the weakest episode of the season imo, was disappointed when the theme kicked in at the end and nothing had really been tied together

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
I liked the quaint feel, no huge plot just Larry being a prick vs a bunch of mild inconveniences. Felt like an older season besides the guy falling through the roof. I didn't care for the phone support call either.

Pimento, the same poo poo that comes out of a lady after she have a baby.

There’s no point in showing me tiles, I have no interest in tiles.

Looks like they took a JB Smoove idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8smrArLggk

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 29, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The thing that's bugging me more about this season (and later seasons in general) than older ones is that Larry is very obviously in the wrong much more often than in the past.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The thing that's bugging me more about this season (and later seasons in general) than older ones is that Larry is very obviously in the wrong much more often than in the past.

this is something that people claim every season that i don't think is true. sure there are plenty of times were we can sympathize with larry, but there are also numerous situations were he is just plain a prick. take for example Denise Handicapped, one of my favorite episodes, I don't think there's even a second of that one were Larry is in the right.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think my favorite ones are the ones where Larry is technically in the right but it's ultimately such a minor slight or transgression that it's not worth dying on that hill and/or he's such an rear end in a top hat about being right that he's still completely unsympathetic.

They're all pretty funny though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

this is something that people claim every season that i don't think is true. sure there are plenty of times were we can sympathize with larry, but there are also numerous situations were he is just plain a prick. take for example Denise Handicapped, one of my favorite episodes, I don't think there's even a second of that one were Larry is in the right.

I tend to believe Larry is fully right about half the time, "he's right but he shouldn't say it" about 25% and totally wrong about 25%, but now it feels reversed.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
The reaction shots of Leon and Larry hearing the roof creaking and Freddy telling Larry not to take the Perrier, "that's an act of water" were the highlights of the episode for me
Didn't really care for the tiny chauffeur angle or the call support gag
Disappointed Seth Rogen's part didn't amount to more and left me lukewarm

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Larry has always been like this. Go watch old episodes. The only thing changing is their age!

Fantastic episode!!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LemonLimeSoda posted:

The reaction shots of Leon and Larry hearing the roof creaking

That was some amazing physical comedy and probably got the biggest laugh out of me during the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't seen the latest one yet but I have to agree about the Klansman issue. Larry's behavior just doesn't seem to be justified within the show. Didn't he get mad at someone for wearing a maga hat last season? And now KKK is cool? It could've made sense if Larry hadn't realized who he was because of his messed up eyes, and then was terrified that he had to keep his promise. But nope he seemed to be aware the whole time. No idea why Susie would do it either. A favor doesn't mean having to do literally anything.

The watermelon thing makes sense in that someone might be self- conscious except why would the lady Larry dragged home (somehow) freak out over it?

I don't mean this as nitpicking but imo the jokes don't work when it's not just unrelatable but also don't match the established characters or even internal logic.

I get what you are saying.....but in the Larry David world.....irrational behavior is commonplace.