Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Rewatching episode four, there’s a pretty funny moment in the recap. It cuts from Thom saying “She’s a dark friend” right to Liandrin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Devorum posted:

It's this. It's how I instinctually straighten/move/reshape my mustache.

yeah same

for whatever reason most reflexive touching involves fingertips (scratching, pulling hair etc), but if you're touching your mustache you use your knuckles

the evolutionary psychologists should publishing self-help books and get busy solving this mystery

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm about halfway through Shadow's Rising. Its pretty good so far. I was worried it would get a bit bogged down in Tear , but now the Thief Catcher , Thom , Elayne and Nyaive are off on an adventure which is a pretty cool pairing. Faile and Perrin have left for the Two Rivers. Mat is still stuck in Tear but has gotten a prophecy or a foretelling that he has to go to the Aiel wastes or he'll die and Egwene is headed to the Aiel Waste as well I can't remember if they buddy up or not.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Had a random thought today. Unless I glossed over a line, there's been no mention of the Creator. I thought it was really interesting that the Darkfriend framed her allegiance to the Dark One as being rooted in his rule of the cosmos being a positive because the world is so horrible. The books, as far as I remember, never presented the Darkfriends as having any illusions about the Dark One not being totally evil. They were aligned with him because they were sure he'd ultimately win and didn't want to die, or because he enabled their worldly desires like immortality, power or a world without morals and ethics.

The reason I find this so interesting is because of Moiraine's speech to Logain. The Wheel doesn't have a will, any more than than a storm does. It weaves the pattern and spins lives in and out across the ages because that's it's nature, with no greater purpose or morality at play.

Despite the Buddhist ideas that helped inspire it, the WoT universe's cosmology always had that core Abrahamic good vs evil element. The Creator bound the Dark One and made the Wheel, ergo The Creator is good, ergo the Wheel (and by extension our universe) is good, ergo the Dark One is a corrupting influence only and his destroying our universe and replacing it with his own design must be bad things.

The "what if evil WAS GOOD ACTUALLY," is normally pretty tired, but it would a pretty fresh take to go at it from the direction that a god, ANY GOD, even a one that is abhorrent to our sense of morality, is better than a total vacuum of meaning, a universe where bad things happen without any purpose at all.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I'm about halfway through Shadow's Rising.

You might be in one of the top books. I don't know if you are just not reading the other posts but this could be a terrible thread for you to be in. I would never intentionally tell you x happens in book y but we all might do so talking about a thing that happens in relation to the show.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

The "what if evil WAS GOOD ACTUALLY," is normally pretty tired, but it would a pretty fresh take to go at it from the direction that a god, ANY GOD, even a one that is abhorrent to our sense of morality, is better than a total vacuum of meaning, a universe where bad things happen without any purpose at all.

Which reminds me of a series of Oglaf strips from a few years ago ...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Which reminds me of a series of Oglaf strips from a few years ago ...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

IDK what happened, but the Rotten Tomatoes critic score went up to 86%.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hexel posted:

I never knew I needed this in my life until today

I bet an editor ruthlessly cut a bunch of those. I remember seeing a chart with GRRM's repetitive phrases and thinking they must have massively rushed editing on book 5 to get it out the door ASAP.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm guessing a bunch of critics changed their tunes once they saw how popular it was.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

probably a critic gave it a good score, if i had to guess

I guess maybe a bad one got deleted. Dunno if RT does that normally

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Okay, so apparently, according to reddit, the reason is that, for ongoing shows, the rating is actually the average of the overall score rating and the rating for the most recent episode. Since episode 4 has literally a perfect score, that averages between 72.5 and 100 to get 86.25, so it is only a temporary boost.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 29, 2021

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Man I'd been enjoying the show well enough but e4 was awesome. I wasn't always the biggest Nynaeve fan in the books (from what I remember) but she's killing it in the series so far.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Carillon posted:

Man I'd been enjoying the show well enough but e4 was awesome. I wasn't always the biggest Nynaeve fan in the books (from what I remember) but she's killing it in the series so far.

Nynaeve is easily a top 2 character in the books. Probably number 1 really.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I remember disliking Nynaeve as a 14 year old boy reading these books, but grown-up me definitely has her in my top 3.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

One of the things I always really appreciated about Nynaeve's character was that she's the only one of the EF5 who doesn't end up with major political power and influence. Rand is Rand, Egwene has the Seat, Perrin's Lord of the Two Rivers, and Mat has a private army and later Tuon. Nynaeve gets poo poo done basically with just herself and Lan, and even Lan leaves for Tarwin's Gap eventually.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

RC Cola posted:

Nynaeve is easily a top 2 character in the books. Probably number 1 really.

Nynaeve and Elayne's Excellent Adventurers was consistently one of the series' biggest draws for me. The fact that Elayne won't come in until Season 2 and therefore they're skipping Rand's initial meeting with the Royal Family is the one thing I'm bummed about. I don't care if its a dumb cliche damnit, I loved that scene :colbert:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You'll often find that people hate Nynaeve when they first read the books as teenagers and then completely change their opinion of her when they reread the books as adults.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

You'll often find that people hate Nynaeve when they first read the books as teenagers and then completely change their opinion of her when they reread the books as adults.

Yeah, my opinions of most of the cast changed drastically from when I started at 14 (why won't Moirainne and Lan and Nynaeve get off everyone's backs and LET THEM LIVE THEIR LIVES, GOD!) to now at 42 (Listen here, you little shits...the adults are trying to help you not gently caress your lives up so maybe put your drat gameboys down for a second and LISTEN TO THEM!).

See also: Flint Fireforge dealing with everyone's poo poo in Dragonlance.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I reread the books as an adult and still hated her. She definitely has some awesome moments but she's such a hypocrite and the 'lol girls are bitchy' stuff with Elayne and Egwene in books 3-5 is so loving tired. She does get better once she hooks back up with Rand though and the Golden Crane stuff is awesome and also her overcoming her block. So far the show's doing a great job of dropping all the annoying poo poo she does and I love show Nynaeve loads

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I mean I understand that she has to fight for every ounce of respect she deserved for being 'too young' wisdom.
All her peers on circles in the village were generation older than her. And almost as stubborn as her.

She was still pretty horrible and when they left the village she wasn't dealing with her peers any more.
Instead she was one of the kids and she couldn't handle that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm in the camp of totally getting Nynaeve once I became an adult and a teacher.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I also had the same experience, first go around I hated Nynaeve but not on the 2nd.

I am listening to the eye of the world again, I dunno if I will make a 3rd time around though, but I liked EOTW, it has a different feel from the later novels IMO, I also like the two rivers stuff. Just a nice and homey place, makes me feel nice.

Now on the 3rd time I am getting a bit irritated at her butting in when Rand, Mat and whathisname where talking about what the peddler just told the village about wars and false dragons and she's telling them off for discussing it. Like wtf Nynaeve, can't they even talk about stuff that's actually happening the world?

Also Cenn Buie, he reminded me that I a friend of mine knows how to make thatched roofs and teaches it from time to time, so that skill is still not yet dead.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 29, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now on the 3rd time I am getting a bit irritated at her butting in when Rand, Mat and whathisname where talking about what the peddler just told the village about wars and false dragons and she's telling them off for discussing it. Like wtf Nynaeve, can't they even talk about stuff that's actually happening the world?

Having grown up in a Southern Baptist household bumfuck, Northwest Georgia...there were absolutely "worldly" subjects we were not allowed to even discuss.

That whole thing, along with the crotchety old assholes and the whole families known to be liars and troublemakers, rang very true to me and told me Jim understood insular, backwoods communities.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arrinien posted:

One of the things I always really appreciated about Nynaeve's character was that she's the only one of the EF5 who doesn't end up with major political power and influence. Rand is Rand, Egwene has the Seat, Perrin's Lord of the Two Rivers, and Mat has a private army and later Tuon. Nynaeve gets poo poo done basically with just herself and Lan, and even Lan leaves for Tarwin's Gap eventually.

"Queen of Malkier" sounds like a pretty influential role to me.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
One of the reasons Nynaeve is such a good character is that she so obviously has flaws. She usually has the best of intentions but her temper and her insecurities and sometimes her pride get in her way. From a certain perspective WoT is about the redemption of Nynaeve - overcoming her block, calming her temper, beating her insecurities, letting go of her pride. So she is meant to be a bit irritating at the start of the journey but by the end is pretty selfless and the more she does the more humble she gets. I think its great. Way too many Fantasy series have perfect characters and whist that may have been appealing to me a a teenager, adult me struggles to read those kind of books now. Take David Eddings as an example, I pretty much can't read those books these days because none of the characters are believable or relatable - I particularly detest Durnik as he has not 1 single flaw across 10 books.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I will say that Nynaeve's reunion with Moiraine is one of the best character moments of the series :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rarity posted:

I will say that Nynaeve's reunion with Moiraine is one of the best character moments of the series :3:

Gets me every time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MegaZeroX posted:

Okay, so apparently, according to reddit, the reason is that, for ongoing shows, the rating is actually the average of the overall score rating and the rating for the most recent episode. Since episode 4 has literally a perfect score, that averages between 72.5 and 100 to get 86.25, so it is only a temporary boost.

the funny thing is that apparently earlier episodes didn't have enough of an impression for more than a couple people to specifically review them, which means they didn't really have much of a score attached to them, but episode 4 so far has 6 of them and they're all positive, so i guess people liked 4 enough to do that? if the show trends towards getting better and more focused as it goes along then that might be a good sign.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think the first three got reviewed as a unit because they were released as a unit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Andoman posted:

One of the reasons Nynaeve is such a good character is that she so obviously has flaws. She usually has the best of intentions but her temper and her insecurities and sometimes her pride get in her way. From a certain perspective WoT is about the redemption of Nynaeve - overcoming her block, calming her temper, beating her insecurities, letting go of her pride, burning her braid off.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

core Abrahamic good vs evil element

that was a core manichean element, which later influenced some strands of abrahamic religions

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

Nynaeve and Elayne's Excellent Adventurers was consistently one of the series' biggest draws for me. The fact that Elayne won't come in until Season 2 and therefore they're skipping Rand's initial meeting with the Royal Family is the one thing I'm bummed about. I don't care if its a dumb cliche damnit, I loved that scene :colbert:

yeah, it was quite odd. it's such a theatrical scene which would have been a great fit for a tv show. and it happened to the series' main character

Rarity posted:

I reread the books as an adult and still hated her. She definitely has some awesome moments but she's such a hypocrite and the 'lol girls are bitchy' stuff with Elayne and Egwene in books 3-5 is so loving tired. She does get better once she hooks back up with Rand though and the Golden Crane stuff is awesome and also her overcoming her block. So far the show's doing a great job of dropping all the annoying poo poo she does and I love show Nynaeve loads

the show nynaeve is basically a different character than in the books

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’ve been watching with my non-book-reader husband. He seems to like it ok, and was telling one of our friends about it. He said it was like Game of Thrones, but ‘without all that politics and people talking stuff. Wheel of Time doesn’t have that - it’s all action.’

I couldn’t side-eye him hard enough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, it was quite odd. it's such a theatrical scene which would have been a great fit for a tv show. and it happened to the series' main character

They couldn't afford to build a huge Caemlyn set for minimal use and they didn't want to cast characters like Morgase, Bryne and Tallanvor now and then have those actors go off and find other work before they're needed again

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's not as odd as all that. A) They're trying to keep the dragon reborn a mystery for a bit longer. The palace scenes would absolutely give the game away. 2) The cost of doing up a palace interior plus city shots for what would basically be half an episode would be pretty high.

Unrelated, but here's another gangtag for the pile of options.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CainsDescendant posted:

I remember disliking Nynaeve as a 14 year old boy reading these books, but grown-up me definitely has her in my top 3.

I described her to my non-book reader gf as "always irritated with everyone around her."

I read the books about a decade ago, when the last one came out. Here's my thoughts.

1. I don't remember the ladies being included in the possibles? I thought the AS were only looking for men as the Dragon Reborn? Does that make sense at all, if the point is because the men work with the tainted side of magic?

2. "Ah, Egwene and Nynave are pronounced exactly as I was doing it in my head. Disappointing."

3. "Oh yeah, Aiel.... I forgot about those!"

4. "Oh poo poo..... is that... Thom Merilin?" Then to my gf, "This guy is a badass!" I know, i get a little spoilery when excited.

5. The cursed city was way cooler than what was in my head. Full marks.

6. The production values seem a liiiiitle too clean. The... Tuathon (apologies) seemed like their costumed were pulled directly off the rack, clean, from a thrift store. I can't really describe what I'm thinking.... like.... the sets look like they were just built, and haven't been weathered and lived in. I don't know. But it's fine. Just takes me out of immersion, from time to time, when everything in Medieval Land is immaculate.

7. "Wait a minute..... Perrin wasn't married!" Was he?

8. And I thought Mat was super lucky, not super bad at gambling.

+++

I'm far away from the books enough that this show is delightfully surprising. Waiting between seasons is going to suck as much as doing so between seasons of GoT.

I'll take a gang tag, if there's enough to go around. Never had one before.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mat's luck doesn't really get to unfair levels until a bit later.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And yeah, it was just the three guys, Perrin wasn't married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I wonder if we'll get his night in Tar Valon where his luck really takes off in the books.