Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I'm going to go ahead and cancel my May ticket pre-emptively. At this rate work is heating up and I don't want to have to keep news-watching to see if I have to cancel work stuff or travel stuff. Which is fine. Will re-book for the fall maybe.

If my goal is Tokyo/Kyoto again, what's the sweet spot for fall travel "hoodie" weather? Hoping to avoid balls-hot but also "ah crap I need a jacket" that I then have to stow every time I go inside. That's why I love post-golden-week, it's invariably been really nice for just "show up in a hoodie and eventually switch to t-shirt".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I actually had some job interviews with Japanese companies planned for this week, including one I spent the entire weekend preparing for. Guess I can flush that down the toilet now lol

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I think I'm going to go ahead and cancel my May ticket pre-emptively. At this rate work is heating up and I don't want to have to keep news-watching to see if I have to cancel work stuff or travel stuff. Which is fine. Will re-book for the fall maybe.

If my goal is Tokyo/Kyoto again, what's the sweet spot for fall travel "hoodie" weather? Hoping to avoid balls-hot but also "ah crap I need a jacket" that I then have to stow every time I go inside. That's why I love post-golden-week, it's invariably been really nice for just "show up in a hoodie and eventually switch to t-shirt".
For Kyoto, probably around this time minus a couple of weeks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Martytoof posted:

Depends what you're used to. Being from the US midwest, Tokyo/Kyoto never get cold enough to be coat weather so it's hoodie time from like late October to April. Coat comes out in the mountains or on the Sea of Japan side.

Like middle of "winter" Tokyo is 40-50 F unless there's a weird cold snap. Kyoto was maybe a little colder but not much different.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Very end of October through all of November (time it well and you can swing part of the Kyushu Basho as well...). Only this past weekend has it gotten cold enough after dark to really require a jacket. This week is forecast to be in the 16 C high / 4 C low band, for context.

Archer666 posted:

I actually had some job interviews with Japanese companies planned for this week, including one I spent the entire weekend preparing for. Guess I can flush that down the toilet now lol

I would still go through with it, honestly -- delays will be what they are. I think companies want to continue moving forward this time.

[edit] lol

https://twitter.com/broomsticknpen/status/1465459865753567235

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 30, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's also a lot more likely for a company to be able to pull strings and get someone in on a work visa. Tourists are hosed but workers may not be.

If nothing else, interviewing is a skill and it's hard to get practice. No reason to pre-emptively cancel, let them deal with it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Kyoto is great anytime during the fall really. Only real downside is I hate how early the sunsets but it might depend on what you want to do.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
dammit, they caught an omicron case at narita

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

dammit, they caught an omicron case at narita

Ruh roh

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I was already on the fence for visiting family during the winter break. Now? Lol no way in hell I'm making any plan to leave the country.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah, i was still on the fence about going back by myself, but i guess i'm not going to.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Most people don't seem aware that last time they closed the border on residents they announced it in advance, and people who left before the announcement were let back in.

Anyway, Japan has been threatened with actions against its own citizens if they pull that move again, so I find it unlikely to be repeated.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Oh, also, do you guys usually decide whether or not to travel internationally over winter break during the first week of December?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I haven't been home for xmas or any other major holiday for 16 years lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

Oh, also, do you guys usually decide whether or not to travel internationally over winter break during the first week of December?

in a normal year lol no way, I think a few people were playing it more by ear this year to see if there was a chance.

because that's what you're willing to do after almost 24 months of a global pandemic that has stopped almost all international travel into and out of where you live.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I checked yesterday and direct flights to LAX are starting at 260,000.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gabriel Grub posted:

i normally plan most of my international trips like 2 weeks in advance at most. the only reason i planned further ahead this time was because i had to get an actual visa, i didnt book the flight until like a week before i left

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gabriel Grub posted:

going around pretending you haven't heard about covid would be such a great bit

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

going around pretending you haven't heard about covid would be such a great bit

There's a 14 day quarantine, possibly confined to a hotel, at the back end. So it does sound a little unserious, all the people claiming they were "thinking" of going on an international trip in the next 2 or 3 weeks. At 1 million yen + and rising for plane tickets for a family of four.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
what quarantine?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Food ¥20,000
Data ¥15,000
Rent ¥80,000
Plane Tickets ¥1,000,000
Utility ¥15,000
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Also, 200,000 yen for four PCR tests with documentation each way, and private transportation home from the airport/quarantine hotel. But you knew that, because you were thinking about it seriously.

Anyway, seems I spoke too soon:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/12/01/national/japan-africa-entry-ban-foreign-nationals/

Best to assume other countries will join this list soon enough.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if you live in tokyo (and probably osaka if you arrive through kansai although i havent checked) transportation can be free

i left home quarantine. it's horumon time

Gabriel Grub posted:

Also, 200,000 yen for four PCR tests with documentation each way, and private transportation home from the airport/quarantine hotel. But you knew that, because you were thinking about it seriously.

Anyway, seems I spoke too soon:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/12/01/national/japan-africa-entry-ban-foreign-nationals/

Best to assume other countries will join this list soon enough.

still confusingly doesn't say anything about spouses of nationals, just spouses of residents. still i'm going to assume i got very lucky and got in just in time

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

still confusingly doesn't say anything about spouses of nationals, just spouses of residents. still i'm going to assume i got very lucky and got in just in time

It's very straightforward. No new entries worldwide. No entries at all from the 10 (for now) listed countries.

Even zainichi are banned from the 10 listed countries. That's as hard as a border closure gets. The only thing missing is when they were even turning citizens away who test positive, which was deemed unconstitutional and against international law.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gabriel Grub posted:

It's very straightforward. No new entries worldwide. No entries at all from the 10 (for now) listed countries.

Even zainichi are banned from the 10 listed countries. That's as hard as a border closure gets. The only thing missing is when they were even turning citizens away who test positive, which was deemed unconstitutional and against international law.

yeah but before this announcement "no new entries worldwide" still didn't apparently cover spouses and children of nationals, since nationals were still allowed to enter and blocking foreign spouses and children would amount to separating families at the border. on top of that, foreign residents (not married to or children of nationals) were also still allowed. it seems like this most recent change means that they're banning the latter category, but i don't see anything explicit about the former. you could be right though, i don't know for sure

like last year, during the period when they were sending back positive testing nationals, i actually called the embassy and they confirmed that i could still get in as long as i tested negative and jumped through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops (i didn't because it seemed like too much of a pain and i was too busy at the time), even as a non-resident, as long as you are married to a national

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

yeah but before this announcement "no new entries worldwide" still didn't apparently cover spouses and children of nationals, since nationals were still allowed to enter and blocking foreign spouses and children would amount to separating families at the border.

It did. No non-citizen without a residence card can come in. Today is the first day of the ban of course, but I have seen no evidence that non-residents are being allowed in for any reason.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

still i'm going to assume i got very lucky and got in just in time

I would say so yeah. Feels like deja vu from when I barely got in last December. This time the reopening was so brief hardly anyone got in it seems.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

drat those are expensive pcr tests

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Ailumao posted:

drat those are expensive pcr tests

It’s the travel paperwork more than the test itself. They know they’ve got you by the balls.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Celebrate your passage into nippon with grilled pig intestines

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

skull wall posted:

going to a restaurant and ordering nothing but teppou and kobukuro until the chef looks at you funny

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

skull wall posted:

Japan: You know who can help? The grilled pig intestines country

[Edit] well this is another way to do it

https://twitter.com/jljzen/status/1465940220872835079

NHK reporting MLIT looking into not allowing any new flight reservations for one month thanks to Omicron. That would be for anybody.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 1, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
shut it down man. keep the restaurants open.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I’ve seen evidence on Twitter that people traveling in on dependent and spouse visas are being given special permission to enter. But others report being denied. Seems everything is still a mess.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

I’ve seen evidence on Twitter that people traveling in on dependent and spouse visas are being given special permission to enter. But others report being denied. Seems everything is still a mess.

we're back to the "it's all a black box" stage, which is honestly the scary part.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Almost guaranteed that we've got community spread of Omicron already in the country because this probably found its way in weeks ago. But, hey go ahead and shutter the borders again.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

paperwind posted:

Almost guaranteed that we've got community spread of Omicron already in the country because this probably found its way in weeks ago. But, hey go ahead and shutter the borders again.

idgi?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gabriel Grub posted:

This is blatant discrimination against the chronically undateable, such as myself.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

paperwind posted:

Slowing it down is probably better than just going "welp we're hosed" and just burning it all down v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's just a little rich after the Olympics Delta free-for-all.