Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Maybe it would be more accurate to compare Jericho to Fozzy.

I haven't thought this analogy through but I'm sure it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Venomous posted:

ah yes, Maroon 5 definitely 'started out great' and weren't completely vapid poo poo from the beginning

Harder to Breathe is a banger tbf

e: Maroon 5 have been around for 20 years what the gently caress :psyduck:

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

davidbix posted:

Nobody who's tried to do right wing grievance grifting through a wrestling lens has made any money at it as far as I can tell. (I don't think Cornette really fits into that box even if he has elements of it.) It's honestly pretty encouraging. And Brad used to freely admit that he had never made a dime covering wrestling, so I doubt that's changed for the better for him as he's become even less relevant.

I don't think Cornette fits into that box either, he's been around and worked in wrestling forever, which is where most of his following came from.

I think wrestling just might not be a fertile enough ground to run that kind of scam. As in, the appeal isn't wide enough and not enough people are going to care about what you're feigning outrage towards this week vs other pop culture stuff. Maybe it would've worked if the current internet existed during the Monday Night Wars.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, Cornette to me feels more like someone with a natural audience who has slowly iterated into horribleness by giving his audience more of what they respond to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zombie Lemur posted:

I don't think Cornette fits into that box either, he's been around and worked in wrestling forever, which is where most of his following came from.

I think wrestling just might not be a fertile enough ground to run that kind of scam. As in, the appeal isn't wide enough and not enough people are going to care about what you're feigning outrage towards this week vs other pop culture stuff. Maybe it would've worked if the current internet existed during the Monday Night Wars.

There was a study of different sports fans that showed the wrestling fanbase was one of the most left-wing ones and we're not exactly a big one so I doubt the market is big enough to be profitable

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Is Chris Jericho the David Bowie of wrestling? He certainly could contend with him in terms of amount of nicknames.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

I Before E posted:

Is Chris Jericho the David Bowie of wrestling? He certainly could contend with him in terms of amount of nicknames.

I think you are on to something. With HHH we have....
The Game-uh
The King of Kings-uh
The Asskicker-uh
The Cerebral Assassin-uh
The Conneticut Blueblood-uh
The CEO of the WWE-uh

Jericho has:
Lionheart
Y2J
The Painmaker
The Alpha
The Ayatollah of Rock ‘n’ Rolla
Le Champion
Demo God

That's one more!

E: Forget about it, they're tied. HHH also has Loser Hunter.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Rarity posted:

There was a study of different sports fans that showed the wrestling fanbase was one of the most left-wing ones and we're not exactly a big one so I doubt the market is big enough to be profitable

I remember seeing that at the time and being surprised by it.

I'm curious about how it came to be that way and what effect mainstream southern wrestling dying had on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zombie Lemur posted:

I'm curious about how it came to be that way and what effect mainstream southern wrestling dying had on it.

Wrestling had one of the least white and fanbases of all "sports." It was also a much younger fanbase the last time I saw a version of that chart.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zombie Lemur posted:

IIRC, I think that same study showed that African-American and Hispanic fans tended to be a fairly large proportion of wrestling fans (at least in North America, anyways). So that's probably at least a partial explanation for why most wrestling fans tend to be left-leaning politically.

E: beaten by MRT :argh:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's the famous chart that always gets posted:

I believe it's about 10 years old, couldn't find newer research (that includes wrestling).

Bonus: Roman Reigns fans are the smartest beings in the Universe.
https://www.howtobet.com/most-intelligent-sportsfans/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness not only is that ten years old during a pretty polarizing time of re-alignment and self identifying but it also puts WWE fans at the lowest turnout suggesting not a ton of actual political engagement. Although certainly that ties into a young audience.

But ultimately one poll only tells you so much.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness not only is that ten years old during a pretty polarizing time of re-alignment and self identifying but it also puts WWE fans at the lowest turnout suggesting not a ton of actual political engagement. Although certainly that ties into a young audience.

But ultimately one poll only tells you so much.

Agreement. I’d like to see where stuff stacks today.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer has already said he did not report this, but hey, let's make up a story that he did to promote this absolutely bizarre narrative.

https://twitter.com/SLawson1417/status/1465314813857480711

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I guess this is someone hearing about the WWE will pay for all former wrestlers rehab and assumed that Mox had taken advantage of that?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Dave Meltzer has already said he did not report this, but hey, let's make up a story that he did to promote this absolutely bizarre narrative.

https://twitter.com/SLawson1417/status/1465314813857480711

was literally about to post this

These stories and narratives suck, especially when they get parroted so much they become conventional wisdom. For example, even I was not aware until very recently (I think from this thread) that WWE did not in fact pay for Mike Kanellis to go to rehab despite this being repeated for years.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I guess this is someone hearing about the WWE will pay for all former wrestlers rehab and assumed that Mox had taken advantage of that?

I can’t remember how it came up because I was only half listening myself, but on WOR they discussed whether or not WWE’s policy of paying for former talent to go to rehab would have covered Moxley if he hypothetically asked for it on this occasion and came to the conclusion that yeah, probably, since they’d paid for people who were in TNA at some point.

So the twitter braintrust has decided that means WWE are paying for Moxley’s rehab.

Edit: it was in answer to a listener questioning “say a current worker like moxley applied for it (WWE’s rehab program) would WWE still pay for it?”

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 29, 2021

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rarity posted:

It's idiots taking this and, not surprisingly, twisting it.

https://twitter.com/wrestlingmama87/status/1465329089808678919

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And it's not like this is an honest mistake, he went on to tweet other stuff about how there is no war and WWE is being so nice to former talent like Moxley.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
"there is no war, all the wrestlers are friends!"

yea but some of them work for a company that treated their friends like poo poo, continues to be petty & vindictive, often punishes them for interacting with their friends, and prevents them from working with them entirely. the "war" is WWE against pro wrestling, which includes the pro wrestlers they have under contract.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Looking forward to TK's pissy subtweet confirming AEW is covering the rehab

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Is there anything more pathetic than an ROH truther at this point?

https://twitter.com/jjf31624/status/1464822922628018180

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

"there is no war, all the wrestlers are friends!"

yea but some of them work for a company that treated their friends like poo poo, continues to be petty & vindictive, often punishes them for interacting with their friends, and prevents them from working with them entirely. the "war" is WWE against pro wrestling, which includes the pro wrestlers they have under contract.

I started listening to the latest Way of the Blade podcast, where Phil has Dustin Rhodes on to talk about his match with Cody at Double or Nothing. And right at the start he talks about how WWE had explicitly told him he wasn't allowed to attend All In, even as a spectator who just wanted to show support to his brother undertaking this massive venture. Which wasn't even on TV or anything, at the time it was a one-off. Great company, the WWE

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/ssprengel23/status/1465352762171043848?t=dSU3xrhKq9NWnyaszIWrFQ&s=19

The vaunted mic skills of AJ Styles

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sure dude, you know better than his wife.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

MassRafTer posted:

Don’t worry, it’s just a bit of banter!

https://mobile.twitter.com/SLawson1417/status/1465335126905303040

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1465100254127214593?t=4OHXB28K_NZZ0P8McZ6eXQ&s=19

Love the idea that a literal fan vote is somehow supposed to be "non-biased"

E: might be a troll post but there are definitely people who think like this

roman as best box office draw has pressed the button in my brain that reads "remind people that Roman Reigns failed to outdraw The Bunny"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

I started listening to the latest Way of the Blade podcast, where Phil has Dustin Rhodes on to talk about his match with Cody at Double or Nothing. And right at the start he talks about how WWE had explicitly told him he wasn't allowed to attend All In, even as a spectator who just wanted to show support to his brother undertaking this massive venture. Which wasn't even on TV or anything, at the time it was a one-off. Great company, the WWE

That can't be right. Vince is all about family! Just ask anybody.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

In fairness "AJ can't talk" is kinda like "Danielson can't talk", in that it's something levelled against them because they took a little longer to find their voice, not because it's actually true. (Styles isn't amazing on the mic but he's perfectly good)

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i suppose this isn't a bad take in the traditional sense but still a very funny post about a cosplayer getting extremely mad about not winning the contest they were surely entitled to win

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/r4yll5/wrestlecade_2021_cosplay_contest_results_was/

quote:

I finished up my con trips this year at WrestleCade 2021 last weekend. Although I had a great time, I am not happy for the fact about the cosplay contest results.
I participated in the contest as my idol and favorite wrestler of all time, CM Punk, with custom tights based off of one of my favorite V-tubers, ProjektMelody, and got a positive response from the attendees. More so, said cosplay was meant to debut last year in 2020, but because of the pandemic and the cancellation of all conventions nationwide, I had to wait a year for it.
WrestleCade said they will be announcing the winners before the Super Show PPV. Unfortunately, at 5pm, no announcement was made and the show began. I end up leaving and drove back home for 5 hours, so I can go to work the next day. While driving, I kept checking their Social Media pages for any announcements, but nothing happened yet.
However, Sunday morning at 4:30am, they announced the winners of the contest. Instead of one winner, it was two: a Fiend cosplayer and a Daffney cosplayer.
What's the problem?
While I will give the Daffney cosplayer a pass since the passing of Daffney was a tragic moment this year in wrestling.
The real shock of it all is that the Fiend cosplayer is the SAME guy who won in 2019's WrestleCade contest with the SAME exact cosplay!!!
☹️
So let me get this straight: I put $350 down and got custom made tights and attire based on my favorite wrestler, who just came back after a 7 year absence, and high hopes of winning because his return made headlines; only to get beaten by someone cosplaying as Bray Wyatt, who was fired in Early 2021 due to "budget cuts"and the controversy around his release and WrestleMania match, in the SAME outfit with little changes made to it and he wins?!?!?
Granted, they were a few other cosplayers I did see at WrestleCade: a Jeff Hardy cosplayer, a kid cosplaying as Kane, a Sting cosplayer, and a Roddy Piper cosplayer. Yet, their cosplays are considered inferior in a comparison to a person cosplaying as The Fiend.
I had been attending conventions for 10 years and know the rules for the cosplay contest. The two most important ones are:
If your cosplay is store bought, it will not be eligible for winning. It will be Exhibition use or catwalk only. Only handcrafted cosplays will be judged.
If you won 1st place in a cosplay contest a year or so prior in the same convention and wish to sign up again, you have to pick something else. It can't be the same cosplay again.
It baffles as to me how WrestleCade judges everyone's cosplay for their contest.
But again, same guy, same cosplay, wins a second time in a row?!? CTFO!!!
I think by next year, if I were to cosplay again at WrestleCade, I am picking someone else than CM Punk. I did decide on who exactly it is, since I don't see any other wrestling cosplayer dress up as this one wrestler from the past and have no interest in doing it. Guess I'll be the first one to do it and I expect wrestling conventions to judge on craftsmanship and likeness than major headlines.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i suppose this isn't a bad take in the traditional sense but still a very funny post about a cosplayer getting extremely mad about not winning the contest they were surely entitled to win

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/r4yll5/wrestlecade_2021_cosplay_contest_results_was/

Yeah, this is a silly thing to be THAT upset about but they also kind of do have a point that if you're just going to wear the same outfit/costume two years in a row then you shouldn't win. I mean, that should really go for any fun costume/cosplay contest – don't let the previous winner win again on the same costume.

Maybe they should just go as The Fiend next year.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JUNGLE BOY posted:

the lore of the fiend cosplayer

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, this is a silly thing to be THAT upset about but they also kind of do have a point that if you're just going to wear the same outfit/costume two years in a row then you shouldn't win. I mean, that should really go for any fun costume/cosplay contest – don't let the previous winner win again on the same costume.

Maybe they should just go as The Fiend next year.

How is that a point? If anything it's a point against them winning. Cosplay contests have judges. Judges are supposed to factor in precedent when judging a case. There is no stronger precedent than someone who already won.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The Karen of Kosplay

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Still giggling at computer games rusev

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

There is also the logical disconnect of being mad the fiend and daffney won “because of headlines” and that should not be factored in to the decision making right after they said they thought CM Punk was sure to be a lock because he made major headlines with his return

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
He's just mad because he spent a lot of money on the costume and didn't win

Also Punk doesn't wear vtuber tights (lmfao at this entire idea) so why the gently caress would some rando cosplayer win while wearing them?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Still giggling at computer games rusev

His gimmick is demanding all modern platformers need to be Amgia style Euro collection games

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Elephant Ambush posted:

He's just mad because he spent a lot of money on the costume and didn't win

Also Punk doesn't wear vtuber tights (lmfao at this entire idea) so why the gently caress would some rando cosplayer win while wearing them?

it's gear styled after punks but with markings that reference ProjektMelody

which like honestly if you don't tell people it's a reference to the adult vtuber while also acting like a lovely weirdo it's whatever but it's this specific detail buried in the mountain of entitlement that really pushes it over the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Heavy Metal Tommy End