Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I love this stupid Tom Friedman McDoland/War theory which he came up in 1996. And it was proven false in Kosovo War 2 years later.

However I just want to post these first Moscov McDonald restaurant photos circa 1990, I think they are the most amazing McD related photos ever.

edit, also I just realized this opened just 2 months before the baltic and western republics broke away from Soviet Union.

NED crisis actors

2nd restautant

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:12 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All i'm hearing is that more countries should make war epics.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Friedman has moved on from the MacDonald’s theory to the Dell Theory.

Which goes, “No two countries that are both part of a major global supply chain, like Dell’s, will ever fight a war against each other as long as they are both part of the same global supply chain.”

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

There’s no Macdonald’s in Armenia.

huh, i thought there was, weird

stephenthinkpad posted:

I love this stupid Tom Friedman McDoland/War theory which he came up in 1996. And it was proven false in Kosovo War 2 years later.

However I just want to post these first Moscov McDonald restaurant photos circa 1990, I think they are the most amazing McD related photos ever.

i'm the baba jaga

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mantis42 posted:

Sounds accurate. The people I see at Wal Mart are often revolting.

I used to be a communist but then I tasted Coca-Cola(tm)!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Truga posted:

huh, i thought there was, weird

i'm the baba jaga

his name is boris yeltsin

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

god loving drat it gorbachov how much of a loving dumbass you were about this yeltsin guy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Personally, I think of a lot of it was about Russian culture in particular. The Western societies were often traditionally considered a model to be copied (oddly enough) especially if they had a directly contentious relationship with what Russian state was in power.

Sweden during the early 18th century, France during the 19th century, Germany during the early stages of the Cold War and then eventually the United States by the 1980s etc

McDonalds was an extension of that and a fair amount of Americaphilia still exists (waning a bit) in present day Russia.

I just don’t think it really extends that much to the rest of the world to be honest.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Nov 29, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The first McDonald in China was also opened in 1990 in Shenzhen. However I can't find any crowded photo (I am sure the opening was crowded, I found a reference of first day broke some record.)

However KFC opened in 1987, so here are some photos.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1464887831596310528

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ardennes posted:

Personally, I think of a lot of it was about Russian culture in particular. The Western societies were often. traditionally considered a model to be copied (oddly enough) especially if they had a directly contentious relationship with what Russian state was in power.

Sweden during the early 18th century, France during the 19th century, Germany during the early stages of the Cold War and then eventually the United States by the 1980s etc

McDonalds was an extension of that and a fair amount of Americaphilia still exists (waning a bit) in present day Russia.

I just don’t think it really extends that much to the rest of the world to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHdlLenXlyk

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

US soft power is still really strong, thank you hollywood and the media in general.

Even western Europe is just not exposed to the reality of what it's like to live in America.

Edit: I mentioned this movie before but Brat 2, this whole ending scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0O3jnLvBxw&t=7093s

Russian media was already doing pro Russia propaganda versus USA in early 2000s.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Nov 29, 2021

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1465311406828539917?s=20

They're doing colonism in africa!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

1 billion doses vs 1 billion americans

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGx4gsCV8o

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

The first McDonald in China was also opened in 1990 in Shenzhen. However I can't find any crowded photo (I am sure the opening was crowded, I found a reference of first day broke some record.)

However KFC opened in 1987, so here are some photos.

my ex girlfriend's father went on a business trip to shenzhen in the early 90s and on his way back, he bought enough mcdonalds food for the whole extended family and took it on the bus back to puning, and everyone ate it the next day. love that day old cold mcdonalds

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

US soft power is still really strong, thank you hollywood and the media in general.

Even western Europe is just not exposed to the reality of what it's like to live in America.

Edit: I mentioned this movie before but Brat 2, this whole ending scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0O3jnLvBxw&t=7093s

Russian media was already doing pro Russia propaganda versus USA in early 2000s.

I would say the real wane of American influence started in 2014, even if US-Russian relations have been declining for a while before that point.

Btw, "love of America" was far from universal...but that doesn't mean it wasn't common. Also, the opening of the Mcdonalds itself was a well-advertised state project, it wasn't an accident there was a large turnout. The question is why would you promote the crappy food of an enemy that is bent on your destruction, and that is another story.

That said, I still think there is a naivety about life in the US (even today) in parts of the former Soviet Union (specifically in Russia) that I haven't experienced elsewhere. I have had "roads paved with gold" style conversations at multiple points.

(Also, enthusiasm for moving to the EU/US is often also motivated by economics. It is just a lot of people in Russia/the former Soviet Union don't quite know how things work in the West, especially the US. Once they find out...the story changes pretty dramatically.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Nov 29, 2021

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

those jackets are fire

would love to get my hands on one of those jackets drat

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DEBT TRAP

DEBT TRAP

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Liberalism is thinking 1997 was the peak of human civilization and desperately trying to return to it

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

going to the Pizza Hut in St Petersburg Russia is as a bright eyed child was a wondrous experience

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mistermojo posted:

going to the Pizza Hut in St Petersburg Russia is as a bright eyed child was a wondrous experience

Hell yeah, happy meal and salted potatoes and ketchup. Especially when your parents would constantly nag you about putting too much salt on your food is bad for you.

Edit: Nvm, I was still stuck in McDees thought for some reason, lmao. sorry.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Nov 29, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mistermojo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw&t=9s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Not only that, but as of 2017 the Chinese branch of McDonalds is majority owned by the state. So much for liberalizing China with burgers.

lmao that's incredible.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BluRoofPolitics/status/1465313624407298057

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
and the plan to stop the prc from carpet bombing the strait with pingers is…….?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

KomradeX posted:

Liberalism is thinking 1997 was the peak of human civilization and desperately trying to return to it

https://twitter.com/kennykeil/status/1435354064263413760?s=21

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know somebody in this thread is going to get a kick out of this

https://twitter.com/ogundamisi/status/1465413049741987848?s=20

Supposedly they forgot to remove the air intake cover.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Supposedly they forgot to remove the air intake cover.

its me, i'm the one getting a kick out of this lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/josephkazUK/status/1465379174487625734

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Are there any Chinese Submarine films or is that largely a western thing?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

nice to know my subaru can outrace a fighter jet

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

it's part of their holistic holocaust program

quote:

Their "vaccine diplomacy" has a terrible track record. Not only have they overpromised and failed to deliver in numerous situations (throwing their trading partners' vaccination campaigns in disarray), they have also done things like purposefully withhold deliveries in order to achieve unrelated goals. For example, last year they allegedly pressured the Turkish government to ratify a treaty that would allow the extradition of their Uyghur population. The Erdogan government denied the allegations, but that's probably because Uyghurs are Muslim-Turkic and his voter base strongly sympathizes with their plight. Regardless, Turkey ended up toning down its criticism of China's treatment of Uyghurs in order to make sure the vaccines keep coming (and since then managed to acquire 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrMarkPBarry/status/1465478304320864264

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1465367729188315144

reading over this article it sounds like this woman was a straight up human trafficker who fled north korea to escape authorities who were catching up to her and didnt want to stick around in china either because she was doing crimes there too

the main other plausible explanation i can think of is that shes innocent but south korean prosecutors simply made up this ridiculous crime to prove that theyre tough on commies usually its one or the other i dont think the nis has ever caught an actual spy

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

KomradeX posted:

(That speech from The Matrix but it's Xi instead of Agent Smith)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: don't want to draw too much attention to a nobody on Twitter

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 02:26 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Their "vaccine diplomacy" has a terrible track record. Not only have they overpromised and failed to deliver in numerous situations (throwing their trading partners' vaccination campaigns in disarray), they have also done things like purposefully withhold deliveries in order to achieve unrelated goals. For example, last year they allegedly pressured the Turkish government to ratify a treaty that would allow the extradition of their Uyghur population. The Erdogan government denied the allegations, but that's probably because Uyghurs are Muslim-Turkic and his voter base strongly sympathizes with their plight. Regardless, Turkey ended up toning down its criticism of China's treatment of Uyghurs in order to make sure the vaccines keep coming (and since then managed to acquire 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine).