Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've heard a lot of good about Klipper, I'll look into it.

E: Okay, so it runs off a Pi. Is it possible to run Pihole and Klipper off the same device at the same time or does that overload it? I've already got a Pi running Pihole.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

What generation of pi

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ghostnuke posted:

"low maintenance" and "ender" do not belong in the same sentence

I've had to do more work on my voron than my ender. My voron has needed it's linear bearings re-lubed a couple times. It's needed the bowden replaced, and both end fittings replaced. It also needs the extruder blown free of debris every few dozen hours. And it's gone through four nozzles. And three hot end block socks.

My ender has needed six drops of oil on the extruder motor. A new bowden tube. New fitting once. It's gone through four nozzles. I mean.. for wear parts?

naaa, Ender reliability is a end user problem, not a structural problem

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Okay, so it runs off a Pi. Is it possible to run Pihole and Klipper off the same device at the same time or does that overload it? I've already got a Pi running Pihole.

The answer to your question is "yes". But with the ceveat is it's a real dumb idea. I wouldn't run a realtime process on the same set of processesors that's doing your DNS for your house. Spend the $30 and get the part. And keep it INSIDE your network.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nerobro posted:

My ender has needed six drops of oil on the extruder motor. A new bowden tube. New fitting once. It's gone through four nozzles. I mean.. for wear parts?

Yeah, my Enders run constantly and they've been more or less maintenance-free for well over a year now. Creality problems tend to be kind of front-loaded. If you're able to get the machine printing well without something breaking in the first month, odds are pretty good that it's going to be fine and you won't need to mess with it much, especially if you buy a handful of upgraded components for assembly.

I don't think I've even re-leveled one of my beds in easily half a year. Closest I came was having the BLTouch on one generate a new mesh a few months ago after I was an idiot and smashed the nozzle into a previous print that I forgot was still on the bed. That might not have even been necessary, but I was worried the impact knocked the gantry off a bit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This was a fun print that just finished. I didn’t realize I’d grabbed the “enlarged” version until after the print started, at which point I decided to just roll with it. 50 hours all told, and it’s so huge omg. I love it.

I think the inside of this thing is fascinating, was really fun to watch the build throughout.

All done. It drapes over surfaces so nicely.

Like I said, huge!

OM NOM NOM

So I guess our next d&d campaign will take place on the planet Shmune, where the giant slugs produce spicy meringue while a war between house Atreyu and house Harpoonem wages on.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5091680

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Follow up to stuff a whole bunch of resin printers in a besta cabinet.

Doesn't seem to be any UV leakage between printers with the kids off. I filled a bunch of cups with resin and left them around the cabinet with the machine running, and I didn't get any issues with curing.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Bad Munki posted:

This was a fun print that just finished. I didn’t realize I’d grabbed the “enlarged” version until after the print started, at which point I decided to just roll with it. 50 hours all told, and it’s so huge omg. I love it.

I think the inside of this thing is fascinating, was really fun to watch the build throughout.

All done. It drapes over surfaces so nicely.

Like I said, huge!

OM NOM NOM

So I guess our next d&d campaign will take place on the planet Shmune, where the giant slugs produce spicy meringue while a war between house Atreyu and house Harpoonem wages on.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5091680

Oh hell yes I saw someone selling those things on Etsy, didn't realize it was an open print. I'm definitely printing one.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I did a bit more fiddling with my new heatsink/heatbreak. I took off the covering on the heatblock so I could see the small gap a bit more clearly and to make sure it wasn't actually touching, the gap's small but maybe that's fine?

In any case though, this is as high as I can raise the print bed (and as low as I can lower the hot end). There's a good couple centimeter gap inbetween so I don't think this new heatbreak setup is going to work for me, even if I used the new heatblock and everything included it would still be too high off the build plate. Not to mention the fan guard almost seems as low as the print nozzle itself, I can't tell which one connects first anyway.

I'm guessing the monoprice mini parts just aren't that interchangeable, I may just need to get a specific replacement for the printer itself which is pretty annoying... If anyone's got any other suggestions before I go off looking I'd love to hear em :)

EDIT: after posting I thought maybe I could find some longer bed screws, though the spring might not be tight enough, seems like the next cheapest solution anyway

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 28, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Follow up to stuff a whole bunch of resin printers in a besta cabinet.

Doesn't seem to be any UV leakage between printers with the kids off. I filled a bunch of cups with resin and left them around the cabinet with the machine running, and I didn't get any issues with curing.

It's good to know that works since I really want a similar setup, but now I'm curious how bad the problem would be even if you had light leaks hitting your resin. My little UV flashlight seems to lose a lot of curing power as soon as it's a few inches away from the resin, and I would imagine leaked UV light from a machine would be even weaker.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I did a bit more fiddling with my new heatsink/heatbreak. I took off the covering on the heatblock so I could see the small gap a bit more clearly and to make sure it wasn't actually touching, the gap's small but maybe that's fine?

That insulation was going to protect the plastic shroud from warping near the heater block.

Can you lower the Z endstop rather than getting longer bed screws?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

mewse posted:

That insulation was going to protect the plastic shroud from warping near the heater block.

Can you lower the Z endstop rather than getting longer bed screws?

I figured it was probably important :/ . Hopefully I can find a silicone one that'll fit.

Is the Z endstop something I can configure via the software itself? It seems like there's some space the arm could lower, though I'm not sure because it's covered by the printer casing anyway.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what is a Pallet 3/Pallet 3 Pro, and is it actually worth paying more than an Ender 3 to get? Is it "just" letting you print with more than 1 color at a time, or is there more to it than that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Randalor posted:

So what is a Pallet 3/Pallet 3 Pro, and is it actually worth paying more than an Ender 3 to get? Is it "just" letting you print with more than 1 color at a time, or is there more to it than that?

It's a device that processes your filament on the way into the printer, cutting it and splicing different colors inline. Like most multimaterial printing you have to purge the hotend with a purge tower along side the print so it's not as seamless as you might think, plus the Palette has to know what you're printing so that it can send the right color along while it's going. They're very neat but there's some filament waste for the purge tower and it's kind of a complicated device.

Joel on 3d printing nerd has had several Palette videos, here's his one on the 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4wQiy47opI

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mewse posted:

Erhh, isn't it just there to stop melted filament from sticking to the heatblock?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just saw an add for the Hitry Rocket 1, and I'm looking forward to someone else buying one, because it seems way too good for a resin printer?

It doesn't seem like another Peachy printer scam, but with a new company, I am very skeptical.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rexxed posted:

It's a device that processes your filament on the way into the printer, cutting it and splicing different colors inline. Like most multimaterial printing you have to purge the hotend with a purge tower along side the print so it's not as seamless as you might think, plus the Palette has to know what you're printing so that it can send the right color along while it's going. They're very neat but there's some filament waste for the purge tower and it's kind of a complicated device.

Joel on 3d printing nerd has had several Palette videos, here's his one on the 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4wQiy47opI

So... "just" doing multi-color prints then? While it's a good idea, the stuff I print is either basic enough to not need it, or would probably need to be hand-paintrd after tnr fact anyways.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Randalor posted:

So... "just" doing multi-color prints then? While it's a good idea, the stuff I print is either basic enough to not need it, or would probably need to be hand-paintrd after tnr fact anyways.

Yeah, it might be able to do other materials as well but I don't know if that's as well considered as the color swapping aspect. It's a cool device if you want multiple colors in one object and don't mind the waste, but if you're heavily post-processing anyway (sanding, filling, painting) it's probably not worth it.
He visited Mosaic and setup a 64 color print at one point with a bunch of Palette 2 modules (which use 4 colors) setup to work together that almost worked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e051w27k6W0

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erhh, isn't it just there to stop melted filament from sticking to the heatblock?

No, it's insulation, it slows the hot end respose to air in the room, and keeps heat in the filament. Without the sock, the ducts on all of my printers get soft. With it there, they stay rigid.

Randalor posted:

... Aren't they $1000 *checks* Oh.. $800. Hah. Yeah, the price of four Enders.

There's a lot of ways to do multiple filaments. The Pallet is one of the more expensive choices. There's the prusa option. There's the Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder. There's a few "Y" and "multi Y" type systems that are expandable. There are even some that don't need any more steppers. Some even let you mix filaments in the heat block. They all have their quirks.

It's possible to run multiple filament types as well, but reliability starts to get much more difficult

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

InternetJunky posted:

It's good to know that works since I really want a similar setup, but now I'm curious how bad the problem would be even if you had light leaks hitting your resin. My little UV flashlight seems to lose a lot of curing power as soon as it's a few inches away from the resin, and I would imagine leaked UV light from a machine would be even weaker.

Do it. At the number of printers were using going vertical makes a huge difference. Previously the cabinet would have been 15t of wall space

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Failson posted:

Just saw an add for the Hitry Rocket 1, and I'm looking forward to someone else buying one, because it seems way too good for a resin printer?

It doesn't seem like another Peachy printer scam, but with a new company, I am very skeptical.

Looks a little sketchy; The ad copy and their website aren't consistent about the max speed, and looks like a proprietary resin situation.
I think DCLF is their take on Carbon3d's /EiPi's Continuous Liquid Interface Production, due to mention of dead zone changes and oxygen barrier polymerization, but that doesn't really make sense in a "sinking" print. I guess I'm missing something.

edit: https://www.nature.com/articles/s43246-021-00145-y?proof=t%29Nature

this looks really interesting, but still doesn't really look like the tech they are claiming. Maybe it works in a similar way but inverse density of the liquids or somesuch.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Double post, but another interesting paper https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-26386-6

Hydrogel separation interface allowing a massive speed increase in resin printing. Time to whip up a lovely uv vis spectrophotometer and find out which brand of jello happens to have the same properties!

e:

fins fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 29, 2021

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Randalor posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone in either of the threads here play around with one. A local hackerspace is getting one, so I'll be able to but it's still a ways out.

Multimaterial (not just multi color) is claimed. We'll see.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Failson posted:

Watched the video that's out there -- really has a scammy feel to the whole thing. Of course the resin is going to be stupid expensive as well.

w00tmonger posted:

Do it. At the number of printers were using going vertical makes a huge difference. Previously the cabinet would have been 15t of wall space
I can barely keep my current machines printing non-stop right now -- I really don't need an excuse to get more printers. I would pay someone good money to develop a chitubox plugin that you can point at a directory full of files to be printed and just have it auto-build printing jobs.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hey guys, I cracked up laughing at this Walmart Cyber Monday deal and thought I'd share it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Junco-M-...94?athbdg=L1700

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Anyone have a model or something I can buy that will sit on a spool on a prusa enclosure and let me stick dehydration beads in there with it while I print? If I do long prints > 24 hours, some of my spools will start stringing, ruining a long print job.

I was hoping I could keep the spool drying while its in use on longer prints to avoid stringing and ruining them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bad boys for life posted:

Anyone have a model or something I can buy that will sit on a spool on a prusa enclosure and let me stick dehydration beads in there with it while I print? If I do long prints > 24 hours, some of my spools will start stringing, ruining a long print job.

I was hoping I could keep the spool drying while its in use on longer prints to avoid stringing and ruining them.

There are dedicated dry boxes for this but I've seen people just use plastic file boxes with a spool holder and a hole drilled in with a printed grommet for the filament to exit through - I'm guessing that's good enough for all but the most finicky of filaments.

What sort of filament is this though? Is it possible there's not something else in your setup causing it? I only ask because I was having some odd problems with tall prints where the quality would drop as the print went on, eventually diagnosed it as the slightly longer-than-stock Bowden tube I was using bumping into the crossbar occasionally, which of course completely changed the bend radii and so was causing random bits of (mild, but noticeable) over- and under-extrusion - just rerouting it slightly fixed the problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Periodic reminder that dessicant pellets cannot dry filament that has already absorbed moisture. You need to heat the filament to break those bonds and release the water. The pellets will only keep the air in a storage container dry.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also don't the pellets eventually turn into a slime/sludge after they absorb enough moisture (assuming the air is at a saturation point where that can happen)?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't had that happen (yet) but the ones I got were apparently designed to be able to "reset" them by baking them in the oven. Maybe if you submerged them in water they would turn to sludge, but I don't think they would do that unless you leave them for years in a humid environment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Randalor posted:

I haven't had that happen (yet) but the ones I got were apparently designed to be able to "reset" them by baking them in the oven. Maybe if you submerged them in water they would turn to sludge, but I don't think they would do that unless you leave them for years in a humid environment.

I just know that it happens with Damp-Rid products after a while, but they straight up say they only last for 60 days and aren't your usual desiccant pack stuff.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
Damprid is calcium chloride, and will dissolve in water.

The typical desiccant packs are silica gel. Silicon dioxide, similar to glass or quartz, with finely controlled pore sizes. They'll remain hard even when saturated, and don't dissolve. They can all be baked to recharge, though the ones intended to often have additional colorants to indicate how much water they're carrying.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I dropped some in water once to see what would happen, and they broke in half

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Time to flush all the orbeez I use to dry my filament down the crapper. What could go wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSJetzqLIE

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Do people have glove recommendations? I use the black nitrile ones (I know they're not chemical resistant) but want to upgrade to something better now that I'm using resin daily.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Time to flush all the orbeez I use to dry my filament down the crapper. What could go wrong?

Holy poo poo

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

To be clear, orbeez aren't silica gel, they're something different. (Sodium polyacrylate)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Mix some orbeez with your resin and run a test print.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Orbeez - not even once.

Thank you all for staying skeptical on that new resin printer. If it turns out to actually work, great! But I am not optimistic.

Back to failing to print anything with my Photon.

Another tangent: Has anyone with a Monoprice Mini tried replacing the pad on the bed with something magnetic? Mine cracked when I got too angry removing a stuck part.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Failson posted:

Orbeez - not even once.

Thank you all for staying skeptical on that new resin printer. If it turns out to actually work, great! But I am not optimistic.

Back to failing to print anything with my Photon.

Another tangent: Has anyone with a Monoprice Mini tried replacing the pad on the bed with something magnetic? Mine cracked when I got too angry removing a stuck part.

I thought about it (I think I linked to one earlier ITT when this came up before) but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

EDIT: Went back and looked, this is the closest thing to one that will fit the Mini. Just break out the snips and trim the corners so that you can clear the leveling screws when mounting it (that way you can re-tram the bed to sit slightly below the fixed Z-homing point when the flex plate is on the magnet) and you should be good to go.

There may be other magnetic build plate options for a 120mm x 120mm bed but that was the one that looked like the easiest to deal with last time I looked.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

has anyone bought one of these prusa enclosures? thinking about grabbing one as my wife is always complaining about the noise.