Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I gave him enough of the benefit of the doubt to read the article he claimed twisted his words. I don't think there's a context where this wouldn't be lovely:

quote:

I am sure if Queen started now we would be forced to have people of different colours and different sexes and a trans [person], but life doesn’t have to be like that. We can be separate and different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

It's true there are no bands with straight white people anymore. This is very real and happening a lot for sure

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This all started with Menudo!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Recommend clicking through to see that Bill and Andy Ngo (and a bunch of other Americans) are getting worked up over loving pantomime, which has been a tradition in the UK going back to at least Dickens's time

Digging this back up because I was just reminded that not only has pantomime in the UK traditionally had a Dame, drag performances have been an ordinary part of pop entertainment there for at least 50 years - Danny La Rue regularly performed at the Royal Variety Show, which has to be about the most uncontroversial event possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_9jV1kj45k

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

To save you eye strain, the sign reads "If an African customer comes to the bottle shop presses [sic] the button for assistant immediately! Minimum 2 staffs in front while we serve Africans!"

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Nov 29, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Singularizing "staff" and "troop" always puts my prescriptivist hackles up

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bobjr posted:

Imagine spending that much on a fake boat.

You'll eat your words as soon as Ocean Citizen comes out of beta

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus christ all these comments that you added in the second screenshot.

If anyone ever needs an illustration of structural racism and how it's not all just people shouting n-words. "Oh I always thought this place was so nice, what a shame, maybe they were justified though .........."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The management didn’t train me to not put up a racist sign

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The management didn’t train me to not put up a racist sign
They wouldn't need the sign if they just trained the staff to be racist all by themselves

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Borrovan posted:

They wouldn't need the sign if they just trained the staff to be racist all by themselves

That's a very good point. When you think about it, the fact that they even needed a sign means that most of the staff ISN'T racist!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pookah posted:

Digging this back up because I was just reminded that not only has pantomime in the UK traditionally had a Dame, drag performances have been an ordinary part of pop entertainment there for at least 50 years

“Female impersonators” and “male impersonators” were staples of music halls in the UK, cafés concerts in France, and vaudeville in the US in the 19th century.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

God drat I wish I was as dumb as these folks. Just wandering through life in a cognitive fog, understanding nothing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CordlessPen posted:

That's a very good point. When you think about it, the fact that they even needed a sign means that most of the staff ISN'T racist!

Alright, time for your employee review. First off, racism. No, I'm not saying you're racist; that's actually the problem.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Extra staff is summoned to be extra friendly

Not a problem

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We're not racist, we just have a perfectly justifiable policy to keep Africans out! We are very sorry for any offense we have caused to the African community. The media is being very unfair to us, don't they understand we are in a race war?

Biplane posted:

God drat I wish I was as dumb as these folks. Just wandering through life in a cognitive fog, understanding nothing.

Right? My consolation is that they are likely very unhappy and angry

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Nov 29, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I remember a retail job I had where my boss angrily demanded I go follow a black guy around the store to make sure he didn't steal anything, something that mysteriously was only ever a concern with non white customers. She was upset that I wasn't doing it automatically, I guess even though I had been helping another customer until that point.

I went over and said hi, because he was my doctor. South African immigrant, specifically. He was looking for ping pong paddles, I think. If my boss had any idea he was a doctor and therefore presumably had money, she would've been falling over herself trying to ingratiate herself with him.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

When I worked at Ace there were a group of Mexican contractors getting supplies and the old boss was mad that we weren't tailing them constantly and was absolutely certain they were stealing.

At the same time he refused to pay for any actual security like cameras and of course we were all busy doing our job and helping customers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Data Graham posted:

Jesus christ all these comments that you added in the second screenshot.

If anyone ever needs an illustration of structural racism and how it's not all just people shouting n-words. "Oh I always thought this place was so nice, what a shame, maybe they were justified though .........."
I used to think these people wouldn't think something was racism unless it was spelled out "we treat people differently based on skin color" but even that's not enough. Where's the loving line with these people?
I know for a lot of them the answer is "there isn't one, because they openly think racism is good" but it can't be all of them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Data Graham posted:

The media is being very unfair to us, don't they understand we are in a race war?
No, sorry, this is 17 words.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, sorry, this is 17 words.

The media is very unfair to us: don't know race war? Why not done?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1465350973119946754

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when everything is terrible, all you need is a little perspective

alternatively, this is just a practice run and the real paradise is after death

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Human history is nightmarishly awful but the human present is nightmarishly awful in different ways.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vib Rib posted:

I used to think these people wouldn't think something was racism unless it was spelled out "we treat people differently based on skin color" but even that's not enough. Where's the loving line with these people?
I know for a lot of them the answer is "there isn't one, because they openly think racism is good" but it can't be all of them.

I think for a lot of racists they seriously think they are not racist because they make an effort to "give them a fair shake" in spite of the obvious fact that they are different and should be treated different because of their race.

There's a big conceptual leap to make from that to "actually not being racist" but they'll go their whole lives not even comprehending that there is a leap to be made.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Love the link to some bullshit page based off of a 1987 study of hunter gatherer communities that totally proves how pre-agriculture society was, because none of these communities have changed nor interacted with anyone in 12 000 years

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

RoboRodent posted:

I remember a retail job I had where my boss angrily demanded I go follow a black guy around the store to make sure he didn't steal anything, something that mysteriously was only ever a concern with non white customers. She was upset that I wasn't doing it automatically, I guess even though I had been helping another customer until that point.

I went over and said hi, because he was my doctor. South African immigrant, specifically. He was looking for ping pong paddles, I think. If my boss had any idea he was a doctor and therefore presumably had money, she would've been falling over herself trying to ingratiate herself with him.

When I was a dirt poor af teenager this was actually something my friends and I took advantage of. Black and/or brown dude goes in to browse while one of us upstanding white kids filled our pockets with food.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Garrand posted:

When I worked at Ace there were a group of Mexican contractors getting supplies and the old boss was mad that we weren't tailing them constantly and was absolutely certain they were stealing.

At the same time he refused to pay for any actual security like cameras and of course we were all busy doing our job and helping customers.

The store manager at the Ace I worked at replaced a few ceiling tiles with sheets of plexiglass spray painted glossy black to give the illusion of security cameras. I don't think anyone was fooled.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pookah posted:

Digging this back up because I was just reminded that not only has pantomime in the UK traditionally had a Dame, drag performances have been an ordinary part of pop entertainment there for at least 50 years - Danny La Rue regularly performed at the Royal Variety Show, which has to be about the most uncontroversial event possible.

AlbieQuirky posted:

“Female impersonators” and “male impersonators” were staples of music halls in the UK, cafés concerts in France, and vaudeville in the US in the 19th century.

This is made extra funny/sad by some panto fans freaking out because women want to play dame characters as well.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/731524/Madness-cast-women-role-pantomime-dames

quote:

It has been tried and it doesn’t work. For some reason no one has explained, the dame is only funny if she’s a man and down the generations that’s what we have come to expect.

A woman playing dame would be a travesty of a transvestite. Berwick Kaler, a long-serving dame, is funny because he’s a deeply unfanciable bloke in a frock with a ginger wig. But every year he always wins over his delighted Yorkshire audience.

Occasionally the great Les Dennis played dame. He would come on and say in his flat lugubrious voice: “Good evening boys and girls of all ages.” Then he’d manhandle his vast bosoms, swallow his top lip and break wind.

The house would go berserk. If a woman did that it would be oddly distasteful.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Nov 29, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

This is made extra funny/sad by some male panto actors freaking out because women want to play dame characters as well.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/731524/Madness-cast-women-role-pantomime-dames

It loving kills me when people say American humor is more boorish and British humour is subtle.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Pantomime is intended for children.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/DreMeMoTo/status/1465390299803529223

(Neither of these folks are the idiot; Twitter is just on fire now with this Squid Game poo poo. I barely know who Mr. Beast is, so I'm just like :shrug:)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hawowanlawow posted:

when everything is terrible, all you need is a little perspective

alternatively, this is just a practice run and the real paradise is after death

There's a reason most religions say that this is essentially hell and the afterlife is a paradise

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/DreMeMoTo/status/1465390299803529223

(Neither of these folks are the idiot; Twitter is just on fire now with this Squid Game poo poo. I barely know who Mr. Beast is, so I'm just like :shrug:)

I've never watched a Mr Beast video, but I saw a tweet mentioning he got about as many views for his Squid Game video as the actual Netflix show got.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Most religions absolutely do not say that

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I often confuse Mr Beast and LA Beast

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mr. Beast somehow got a bunch of money and decided to use it by funding stupid poo poo on YouTube.

LA Beast saved up money and used it to buy a classic bottle of Crystal Pepsi, chugged it, and vomited on YouTube.

I appreciate the second one way more.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

LA Beast's videos brought crystal pepsi back. Mr. Beast's videos brought bumfights back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

He's that guy that just throws a shitload of money at random people in increasingly convoluted ways and films it because it'll make him even more money, right?