Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

c Doom Eternal s: the challenge to glory kill Pain Elementals 3 different ways can fuuuck right off

"how much health do these shitheads HAV- oh it went from staggered to dead before i could moderate my fire, again. great, awesome"

t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Any good <$5 deals I should grab before the sale ends?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I picked up the Castlevania Advance Collection in the sale, pretty excited to play the worst of the collection, Harmony of Dissonance, because the copy I got off ebay like 15 years ago was a fake and wouldn't save my game.

I also did that gamepass 3 months for a dollar deal, to play age of empires 4 with some friends. Kinda excited to mess around with gamepass, lots of games on there in my "Like to Play" list but would only ever play once and would only ever buy if they were really cheap. I like blowing through a story driven singleplayer game every once in a while as a palate cleanser, usually a FPS, and there's lots of options there. Making my way through Dishonored 2 I bought last summer sale but I see Prey is available on gamepass so I may check that one out after.

Long long ago, in the before times, my family was one of the ones that got to try out the Sega Channel and I have lots of fond memories of the experience. My tastes today lean more niche stuff that wouldn't necessarily be found on gamepass but it might work out subscribing for a month or two from time to time.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Did they fix the hidden installation thing with GamePass yet? I heard they were going to, but am not sure if they have yet, or have a timeline. I'm waiting for that before I sign-up again as I have those locked folders on 3 diff hard drives now (yes, I know how to remove them, but it's a hassle).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jack Trades posted:

I've refunded more than a 100 games total, easily

Goddrat, man! That’s the kind of poo poo that gets you un-banked. Then you turn to Bitcoin because “ No chargebacks” sounds good, and you end up losing your house because you enter a random 40-digit number wrong! :D

In all seriousness, though, how do you decide 1) what to purchase in the first place, and 2) how a game is bad enough to refund that quickly? I’ve got 50+ games I haven’t gotten to yet, bought because my research, WoM of other goons, and 80%+ off sales. If I’m really in the fence, I’ll look for a demo or, at worst, YouTube gameplay or Twitch streamers who I’ve observed over time to mirror my own preferences.

Has your credit card not sent you a “please stop chargebacks,” or does Steam charge you some other way that’s no big deal to refund? I’ve been using a reloadable prepaid card online for years, and I get Visa protection on buys, but if I get hacked I’m at most lose a $60 balance. Money is dear, but if my ID is stolen I can just get a new card altogether and cancel the old one.

If Steam (or GoG, Humble, Etc) gives no poo poo about refunding #s, I just haven’t been in the space long or in the position to need it. I’m not crapping on you, I am just an old and never needed to look into it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Steam refunds just go back into your steam wallet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DerekSmartymans posted:

Goddrat, man! That’s the kind of poo poo that gets you un-banked. Then you turn to Bitcoin because “ No chargebacks” sounds good, and you end up losing your house because you enter a random 40-digit number wrong! :D

In all seriousness, though, how do you decide 1) what to purchase in the first place, and 2) how a game is bad enough to refund that quickly? I’ve got 50+ games I haven’t gotten to yet, bought because my research, WoM of other goons, and 80%+ off sales. If I’m really in the fence, I’ll look for a demo or, at worst, YouTube gameplay or Twitch streamers who I’ve observed over time to mirror my own preferences.

Has your credit card not sent you a “please stop chargebacks,” or does Steam charge you some other way that’s no big deal to refund? I’ve been using a reloadable prepaid card online for years, and I get Visa protection on buys, but if I get hacked I’m at most lose a $60 balance. Money is dear, but if my ID is stolen I can just get a new card altogether and cancel the old one.

If Steam (or GoG, Humble, Etc) gives no poo poo about refunding #s, I just haven’t been in the space long or in the position to need it. I’m not crapping on you, I am just an old and never needed to look into it!

1) Game looks interesting, from its gameplay videos/trailer and reviews. You think, "huh that could be fun" and give it a whirl.

2) Within the refund window you discover that you're not having fun, or there's a technical problem. I forget what I last refunded but I've had cases where I looked at the time played and it was like 40 minutes and I did not want to play again.

3) My card has never complained about refunds. Steam just undoes the purchase/sends the cash back? I've been using a debit card, and recently swapped to credit cards and still no issue.

e: You can also refund to the steam wallet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Steam doesn’t seem to care about refunds as long as you use the automated system appropriately, and they also seem to be more forgiving if you have the funds returned to your wallet so you keep your money in the steam ecosystem. I remember back when they first introduced the system some people mentioned being denied due to the volume of their requests but I haven’t heard about that happening in ages.

Sometimes you can get a refund outside of the automated system too, got one for BF2042 the day before it left early access and the whole thing took less than an hour which is atypically fast, I think because I used the “I have a question about this game” function

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I wish Dragon Marked For Death would get a bigger discount. It doesn't look that great but Mega Man Zero number grinding might be fun for ~$10.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Refunds and chargebacks are not the same. One is a basic consumer right, the other is pretty much the nuclear option of getting money back.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DerekSmartymans posted:

For me, as fewer games truly grab my attention and keep me engaged enough to keep playing (a case of game anhedonia, or gamehedonia, if you will), it doesn't take much for me to play a game, realize I only feel the cold vacuum of space, and refund it. Sometimes I refund prematurely, and I come back to the game later (as in the case of Cruelty Squad, which I'm still not sure I *like*, but was certainly interesting to play), but most of the time all I need is to just taste the game and realize "Oh drat, I've been here before" and just move on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bees x1000 posted:

I wish Dragon Marked For Death would get a bigger discount. It doesn't look that great but Mega Man Zero number grinding might be fun for ~$10.

I got it on Switch. It is, in fact, not that great.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

The bit that really aggravated me was right near the end (I assume) of Fort Joy- I hit a point where the only quests I could still find to do involved the arena fight and the houndmaster. The party was level four, but I think I overspecialized my tactical roles (I had a necromancer/warfare guy, and the magical specs of Fane, Red Prince, and Sohse). Both encounters were absolutely doable if I'd been more persistent, but I tried a few different strategies on each one, got stomped every single time, and realized that I wasn't having any fun whatsoever, and hadn't for most of the combat.

It's definitely a me problem- I totally see where people who love the combat are coming from- but having gone through most of (I assume) the tutorial and largely found combat to be nothing but frustrating, unfair-feeling encounters, I wasn't really interested in extending that experience across a however-many hours long campaign.

Thing is though, you weren't stuck. You could have broken out of Fort Joy six different ways and gotten to the next level right away with the XP from it. There are at least two different ways to prison break almost immediately on arrival to the island. The flenser's way doesn't require a single fight IIRC, and doesn't have any ability locks.

But of course, it's not your fault that these paths didn't open themselves to you. It's the devs' fault that you can't change difficulty on loading the game to win the houndmaster's fight, which feels like a real bottleneck. (It's not necessary at all, by the way. Both of the fights you mention are totally optional, which is why they're clear dead-ends in terms of not blocking any exploration path.) There is simply no way to know what difficulty to choose on your first playthrough. You start the game, know nothing about it, and you have to choose from

-story mode
-explorer mode
-adventurer mode
-brigand mode
-buccaneer mode
-lil crybaby mode
-hardly difficult mode
-normal mode
-hard mode
-oops! all deathfog

and you ask yourself... am I a noob, or a scrub? Noob... or... scrub?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Mescal posted:

and you ask yourself... am I a noob, or a scrub? Noob... or... scrub?

Ever since I started quitting upon death in Caves of Qud to avoid permanently losing my save, I have fully embraced my scrubness. The designers have their way of wanting their game to be played, and I have mine.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

For me, as fewer games truly grab my attention and keep me engaged enough to keep playing (a case of game anhedonia, or gamehedonia, if you will), it doesn't take much for me to play a game, realize I only feel the cold vacuum of space, and refund it. Sometimes I refund prematurely, and I come back to the game later (as in the case of Cruelty Squad, which I'm still not sure I *like*, but was certainly interesting to play), but most of the time all I need is to just taste the game and realize "Oh drat, I've been here before" and just move on.

NOT old. NOT sad. I have LUDIC ANHEDONIA and my doctor doesn't give a gently caress

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
What can I say? I'm in grad school and sometimes my machine learning homework is more interesting than my video games, because I am a deranged autistic sperglord.

I probably should have known when I started playing Factorio and realizing I wanted something more.

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 29, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

1ni.1ce

Trick Question posted:

I was thinking of picking up Spectacular Sparky because it looks cool, but I noticed it's published by Nicalis. I remember they hosed over the guy who made Cave Story, should I still be wary of giving them money?

It's good. Just a fun run and gun shooter/platformer with occasional side scrolling shooter sections. It's kinda funny, really bright and colorful, I liked it a lot.

I don't know anything about the publisher, only the game, but if it's a huge problem for you just find it online somewhere. That being said I don't want to punish the developer for something their publisher did in the past. They made a fun little game.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Has anyone played this this F.I.S.T game? Looks like a rabbit action platformer, kinda like an old-school strider game. While i'm postin', is sekiro worth 40 bucks or should I wait till it drops more around xmas.

Yeah I played a bit. Seems solid. Looks nice. Maybe not exceptional in any specific way but the combat works pretty well and the exploration is good too. I actually got get back to it and see if I can finish it.

Just remember that you can't dodge through enemies. I died several times from that just due to muscle memory I'm used to doing that then attacking them from the other side.

Speaking of similar games, I've been playing a ton of They Always Run. That game has some of the best, most challenging and most interesting 2D combat mechanics I've ever seen. Not a perfect game and I get the feeling it's pretty short but it's really great and I feel like I heard nothing about it once it released when people seemed excited beforehand.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fart of Presto posted:

I still look down at the controller to see which one of the buttons is the blue/green/yellow/red one, and which one has the X/Y/A/B written on them :negative:

Like every loving time I play a game using the controller, and every time a prompt comes up on the screen telling me to hit Blue X...

I guess not growing up playing console games has hurt my gamer cred hard.

I have been plaything console games a lot basically my whole life!

And a game telling me to "press x" gives me a horrible moment of uncertainty because of it.

pentyne posted:

Nah this happened like crazy when I was going between the Switch Pro controller and the Xbox controller even though I was a major console gamer from NES through to the x360. The fact there isn't a universal button order for those will absolutely mess with your head when you go between them. I'm just lucky I never got into any of the Playstations because a third button scheme in the rotation would probably break my brain.
I've had every playstation. AND I had a gamecube. That means I have used things where the X button is in all four directions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the playstation is basically the universal button order it's just that the symbols are different. PS and XBOX controllers have the primary/"confirm" button on the bottom, the Nintendo setup that they've used since the SNES (and arguably the NES) where A/confirm is on the right is mostly unique to them.

early in the Playstation circle was used as the main/confirmation button and X was used as back/no, but this was pretty much done by the PS2. It does make it confusing when you play an old "Circle is confirm" game like Metal Gear Solid, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the gamecube was a neat idea where the primary button was large and central, but it ended up causing problems in games with games where eg hitting x/y or y/b simultaneously was necessary

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mescal posted:

Thing is though, you weren't stuck. You could have broken out of Fort Joy six different ways and gotten to the next level right away with the XP from it. There are at least two different ways to prison break almost immediately on arrival to the island. The flenser's way doesn't require a single fight IIRC, and doesn't have any ability locks.

Huh that's interesting, I didn't realize there were any non-combat routes- out of curiosity, where do you go if not through the Houndmaster? I pursued maybe 4-5 different escape questlines and they all seemed to route me through that prison cell area, so I assumed it was critical path. The only unexplored route I can think of was up the ladder into the fort (which I assumed was full of overpowered templar guys), or maybe if the ravine you can teleport into with the glove rear end in a top hat had paths I didn't map out sufficiently.

Either way though, holy cow am I the wrong person for that, because here's how my brain parses that problem:
1) Okay, the combat is super level scaled- a level four guy can semi-consistently stomp a level three party
2) That means I need to squeeze this frigging area like a sponge for every last drop of XP, or I'll eventually hit a point where I'm grotesquely under-leveled
3) If the game gives me five frustrating paths I find too challenging and don't want to do, and one easy path I could do right now, I'd better do all six of them

I think that number two is the only one which is really the dev's fault: Fort Joy felt like a slightly unpleasant puzzle in the way I had to guess which quests led to appropriately-leveled content to get enough exp to handle the level 2-3 combat encounters, and the sheer amount of early walls I faced just trying to explore automatically conditioned me to min/max experience at every juncture.

The only other thing I feel is pretty dev-side is as you mentioned, the signposting issue- a game doesn't have to hold your hand, but I think general paths towards progression should be somewhat clear. I only played a bit of OS2, but even in the tutorial it felt like a nonstop conga line of "Here are four stovetops- three are red-hot, better touch all four to figure out which one turns the heat down on the others."

Those are the only big issues I can lay on their side though- even as frustrated and unrewarding as I found it, it felt really obvious to me that 90% of my issues were ultimately my problem, not the game's.

(Weirdly enough I'm also kinda-sorta blaming Elex, which I finished semi-recently. I mostly enjoyed it, but it really thoroughly burned me out on puzzle box progression routing.)

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Divinity 2 definitely scales much too sharply, but if you keep up with doing sidequests and fights you eventually end up on par or above every fight you encounter and it stops being frustrating. this assumes you are also replacing your gear as often as you can too. It’s very good to pickpocket as many people as you can and get up-to-date gear from merchants each level, within reason

You can “safely” pickpocket someone by entering conversation with them using one character, then having your thief initiate pickpocketing behind them. they won’t enter their “woah I got robbed” routine and start looking around until after you leave conversation with your first guy, so as long as other NPCs are not wandering nearby, you have all the time you need to browse and steal exactly what you want. When you’re done, move the thief a safe distance away, end the conversation and immediately move your first guy away and you’ll be safely gone by the time they start searching.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Refunds and chargebacks are not the same. One is a basic consumer right, the other is pretty much the nuclear option of getting money back.

And you should never chargeback a digital storefront if you care about your account, because they will ban you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

I have probably refunded 1000 games on Steam. As long as you meet their criteria (owned less than 2 weeks, played less than 2 hours) it is auto-approved. I use the refund period as a 2 hour demo of the game and I refund far more often than I keep a game. I use Paypal for all of my Steam purchases specifically because Paypal is incredibly fast about processing refunds and after I submit a refund I have the money back in my account the same day.

If anything the ease of refunds on Steam has made me an incredibly harsh critic of the first 2 hours of a game because I am always just looking for a reason to keep my money instead of keep the game. I only keep the ones that are fun enough that I forget about the 2 hour window :kiddo:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

repiv posted:

And you should never chargeback a digital storefront if you care about your account, because they will ban you

This.

Had to talk to quite a few WoW players who found their Battle.net account banned when they did a chargeback because of a patch change they were unhappy about. The only way to get the account unbanned was to do a money order.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Goddammit, all this talk of Divinity OS 2 is making the game sound good, so it's time to install the game and see if I can whack my way through without the ol' gamehedonia (trademark original term, don't steal) kicks in.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The xbox button layout for the right thumb is by far the superior layout. Simple as hell, A at the bottom B on the right X on the left and Y at the top. Actual letters are easier to internalize than random symbols AND they have color coordination to help you so that any time you see red you know B, blue X, etc.

Playstation is fine too but the fact it uses random symbols and that the buttons themselves aren't color coordinated (the symbols themselves are but that makes for way less association) makes it inferior in my mind.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Just one question before I crack open DOS2: What are the most fun or stupid-fun classes to play? I don't mind accidentally setting it on fire if it's a conflagration of fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Playstation and Xbox both have the benefit of keeping a consistent button layout since their first iterations. Nintendo button layouts are the ones I always have trouble with because it seems like it's different with every drat console they release :argh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Divinity 2 definitely scales much too sharply, but if you keep up with doing sidequests and fights you eventually end up on par or above every fight you encounter and it stops being frustrating. this assumes you are also replacing your gear as often as you can too. It’s very good to pickpocket as many people as you can and get up-to-date gear from merchants each level, within reason

You can “safely” pickpocket someone by entering conversation with them using one character, then having your thief initiate pickpocketing behind them. they won’t enter their “woah I got robbed” routine and start looking around until after you leave conversation with your first guy, so as long as other NPCs are not wandering nearby, you have all the time you need to browse and steal exactly what you want. When you’re done, move the thief a safe distance away, end the conversation and immediately move your first guy away and you’ll be safely gone by the time they start searching.
You can also teleport the poo poo to somebody else in the party's inventory across the map so the guy who did the stealing is able to turn out their pockets and show that they don't have anything. Last I checked you didn't need your party to be in proximity to transfer things between them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What are some top RPGs on steam? Probably JRPGs. I know a few decent ones have come out the past year but Im out of the loop.

I've been busy playing MMOs though and I have the next week off so I'd like to just chill and play something good and relaxing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

A refund is not a chargeback. Steam can just drop me my money back to my credit card, or PayPal or just give me store credit (I used all of those options at some point).

The reason why I have so many refunds is because of the refund policy and also because I actually buy a lot of games too.
Sure, I might buy like 10 unknown indie games and refund 9 of them because they actually turned out to be terrible but that 10th game I will keep because it's a surprisingly good game that nobody knows about.
If the refund policy wasn't in place then I would never have risked my money on those indie games in fear of wasting it on garbage and thus would never have actually bought that 10th secretly good game.

It's a good system both for me and for Steam and for the developers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

Just one question before I crack open DOS2: What are the most fun or stupid-fun classes to play? I don't mind accidentally setting it on fire if it's a conflagration of fun.

DOS2 doesn't have "classes" in the same way really and it would be pretty dumb to stick to a single school because all the powerful poo poo comes from combinations.
The easy ones are Hydro + Cryo, which lets you make everyone wet and then freeze the whole screen, Geo + Pyro, cover everything in oil and watch the world burn.

Of course there are more complex ways to combo abilities that will result in even more broken poo poo but just telling you straight away would be ruining the fun, IMO.
After Act 1 (first like 15 hours) you can freely respect your characters so don't be afraid to just experiment.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zotix posted:

What are some top RPGs on steam? Probably JRPGs. I know a few decent ones have come out the past year but Im out of the loop.

I've been busy playing MMOs though and I have the next week off so I'd like to just chill and play something good and relaxing.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
Atelier Ayesha

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zotix posted:

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I actually hate JRPGs (most of them have boring combat and sleep-inducing stories), but the 3 good JRPGers that I've played are Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Tales of Berseria and Resonance of Fate.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh that's interesting, I didn't realize there were any non-combat routes- out of curiosity, where do you go if not through the Houndmaster? I pursued maybe 4-5 different escape questlines and they all seemed to route me through that prison cell area, so I assumed it was critical path. The only unexplored route I can think of was up the ladder into the fort (which I assumed was full of overpowered templar guys), or maybe if the ravine you can teleport into with the glove rear end in a top hat had paths I didn't map out sufficiently.

Just explore every area you can and reload if you get ambushed into a fight you can't win. The houndmaster is at the end of a room, nowhere to go. Right next to him is a doorway that leads upstairs. Did you go through this door? The key or 1 point in lockpicking gets you through. The silent guards do not fight. Turn right and on the left you'll see what looks like Dr Mengele's laboratory. Talk to the man, give him an item you probably have in your inventory, and you're out. You level up immediately. But then come back, because there are some fun/important fights past the doors in that building.

I don't know what ladder you mean; if it's the one that has to be lowered from above you can teleport onto that balcony and it counts as a prison break. This is the way to get out within minutes of starting the game. The area (the docks) by the teleport man has too many grunts, avoid it. There's the boy with the boat which I've never done. You can exit another door from that building with the basement jail to the exterior of the building and just fight through all of the magistri defending the whole structure. I don't remember the others.

You don't need to worry about XP at all in this game. It's set up so that it WILL catch you up unless you're in IDGAF-mode and you're just not doing quests. The only thing is that you don't want to be a level behind entering act IV. It can happen if you're zooming through act III because it's the dullest act. There's a couple other things about leveling but they're either niche, or just something you look up if you run into a problem.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zotix posted:

Persona 4 Golden was released on PC last year, I liked it quite a lot.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

Don't worry... you WILL try out all the different ability combinations. Unlock "fort joy mirror" from the gift bag options, Do not be afraid of the gift bag options! They're QoL. But gardens and inventory management are dumb, don't use those.

DOS2 is on sale right now, by the way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

And a game telling me to "press x" gives me a horrible moment of uncertainty because of it.

This needs a content warning

VV :haw:

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Leal posted:

This needs a content warning

It already has one.

It's rated "X"