Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Narcissus1916 posted:

Xander is scarily close to waltzing his way to victory. To be fair though, I find holding onto an idol and leveraging that across half the game to be way more impressive than "find an idol, use the idol. Find another idol in a tree, play idol. Find another idol in a bush, play idol" players.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I do wonder how he's going to end up leveraging his extra vote at this point though. Feels like if he's immune or using the idol then it doesn't really matter who's going home to make it worth using, and if he's vulnerable and people are actually voting for him then it shouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

idk, xander doesn't seem to have any real allies in the game or on the jury, i wonder who would go for him...... the other members of the tribe don't seem to think he's much a threat

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Given how salty Shan seems to be about Erica, I wonder.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm expecting Ricard to get targeted because Shan straight up said out loud she was voting for him at final.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

yeah that was kinda hosed up of shan to do that to her supposed ally

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

I'm expecting Ricard to get targeted because Shan straight up said out loud she was voting for him at final.

I was worried about that too, but people already knew they were besties. It wasn't exactly new information.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SteveVizsla posted:

I just started binging the season so this is from ages ago, but CNN told Anderson Cooper that if he wanted to stick with them and keep doing real journalism, he couldn't be off hosting a game show. They tried doing it without him but no one could come close to being as good a host as he was, then they went gimmicky with D list celebs and killed any chance the show had. Phil Keoghan could have pulled it off, he has the same energy, but I imagine they don't want one guy hosting multiple shows at the same time.

He actually does host two shows now (Amazing Race, Tough as Nails). The problem with Phil during The Mole's timeline though is that TAR was doing two series a year at the time (ala Survivor). That's a crazy amount of work, if it's even possible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The last Amazing Race was surreal because it was shot so long ago.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I ended up giving on Amazing Race about a decade ago. Not because of anything the show did, but rather because it aired at like 7PM on Sunday evenings during football season. Football always ran late, meaning my DVR would record like the final 45 minutes of the game and any post-game analysis, and then the first 15 minutes of the episode. They didn't make it easy to see the show otherwise at the time, so I just gave up.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I ended up giving on Amazing Race about a decade ago. Not because of anything the show did, but rather because it aired at like 7PM on Sunday evenings during football season. Football always ran late, meaning my DVR would record like the final 45 minutes of the game and any post-game analysis, and then the first 15 minutes of the episode. They didn't make it easy to see the show otherwise at the time, so I just gave up.

If you ever want to try again, the first 29 seasons are on Prime Video.

Survivor chat: Shan's EW interview is out. Highlight:

My focus with Heather was that it wasn't about Heather, because Heather has no game. But the thing with Heather is that she was crucial to Erika's game. And my thing with Heather was that I was like, "No, you're a vote for Erika, and Erika, I believe, is smart." And I kept telling people that I think we should take out Erika. And I think one of the ways you take out a person without having to take them out, if people are so set on, "Well, let's wait," is taking out their right hand man, which, I guess, is also the same thinking of Deshawn like, "Let's get rid of Ricard, because Shan's the most powerful player in the game." So, my thinking there was, I think Heather just needs to go.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

TAR has more rubber banding than any racing game ever made. I get why, because their first few seasons had none, but now it feels like your game hinges on the whim of a taxi driver.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Mirotic posted:

Season 29 is also fantastic. It's a huge gimmick of total strangers getting paired after a quick event that works way better than I would've expected

Sighence posted:

TAR has more rubber banding than any racing game ever made. I get why, because their first few seasons had none, but now it feels like your game hinges on the whim of a taxi driver.

I can imagine it needs it for production's sake, but imo the balance here is to include a lot more self-driving (which some seasons have). I think a good equalizer every 2-3 legs does keep the show interesting, especially when a power team falls behind and previously would've had no real catch up.

I also do think there's a skill though to the Taxis, and knowing when to bail on the extremely lost cab driver is huge (hell, Natalie Anderson does this with her twin pretty effectively).

Mirotic posted:

Survivor chat: Shan's EW interview is out. Highlight:

My focus with Heather was that it wasn't about Heather, because Heather has no game. But the thing with Heather is that she was crucial to Erika's game. And my thing with Heather was that I was like, "No, you're a vote for Erika, and Erika, I believe, is smart." And I kept telling people that I think we should take out Erika. And I think one of the ways you take out a person without having to take them out, if people are so set on, "Well, let's wait," is taking out their right hand man, which, I guess, is also the same thinking of Deshawn like, "Let's get rid of Ricard, because Shan's the most powerful player in the game." So, my thinking there was, I think Heather just needs to go.

:stare:

quote:

"This is going to make it to Twitter, I know, but I hadn't used the bathroom in 18 days. And this will just tell you that sometimes s--- will take you out, literally, because I could not go to the bathroom. So, I was at the medics all afternoon and just could not go."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

I remember the first season where by the end of the season, one or two teams were like several days behind the rest, and were still doing challenges that the winning team had completed like 2 episodes prior.

What was the season where there were the identical twins who looked like Tom Cruise, and the girl who cried every episode and competed with her best male friend from college?

Oh, and I remember the season where an elderly couple brought like paper underwear with them for some reason?

Another with like a gay Asian man and his sister?

And of course the most dynamic duo, Mike White and his father and they were both bisexual.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im halfway through the newest Australian Survivor season and these players are just an entirely different level of cutthroat, man what a season. i have zero idea how george has made it to merge.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I remember the first season where by the end of the season, one or two teams were like several days behind the rest, and were still doing challenges that the winning team had completed like 2 episodes prior.

What was the season where there were the identical twins who looked like Tom Cruise, and the girl who cried every episode and competed with her best male friend from college?

Oh, and I remember the season where an elderly couple brought like paper underwear with them for some reason?

Another with like a gay Asian man and his sister?

And of course the most dynamic duo, Mike White and his father and they were both bisexual.

Girl who cried with her best male friend is Flo and Zach, season 3.

Elderly couple with paper underwear is Teri and Ian, also season 3 originally, returned on All-Stars.

Tammy and Victor, maybe? I think they're the only Asian brother sister team, season 14, but not sure he's gay.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Studio posted:

He actually does host two shows now (Amazing Race, Tough as Nails). The problem with Phil during The Mole's timeline though is that TAR was doing two series a year at the time (ala Survivor). That's a crazy amount of work, if it's even possible.

I know, but this was 20 years ago, when those two and Survivor were all starting out and CBS didn't know if any would succeed far. I imagine Phil wouldn't have wanted to put all of his eggs in one basket, either. That would have been two seasons of TAR a year, plus The Mole, which also had a lot of hard traveling.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mirotic posted:

Tammy and Victor, maybe? I think they're the only Asian brother sister team, season 14, but not sure he's gay.

I watched the show much longer than I realized! That's definitely who I was thinking of.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is an interesting choice

Pretty curious what this Do or Die game of chance will be

Hanging on chance sucks but man that adds stress to this challenge

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Very stupid twist. The entire point of every episode is to vote, which makes or breaks alliances, shows who is lying, etc. taking out the vote makes this not Survivor

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This’ll be bad TV if he draws die but I’m laughing at Jeff talking about how Deshawn will “live” or “die” what is this the squid games?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, live or die is really aggressive, especially since it's like, a random chance to be voted out, not like everyone who participates is cut if they lose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It could be 1/1000000 though

We don't know yet and neither do they

I mean obviously not that low but you get what I'm saying

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Monty hall
Motherfucker

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
always switch!!!!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Good thing he didn't, but it was the wrong choice. I'm dumb but my math friends tell me you always, *always* switch

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahaha i love that everyone who knows the rules wouldn't been validated here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

always switch!!!!

Lot of people just learned the wrong lesson

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Not always apparently

Lol 2/3 chance to go end this without a vote, that’s worse odds than I ever imagined

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Did Xander finally play the extra vote?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yup

Fast Luck posted:

Not always apparently

Lol 2/3 chance to go end this without a vote, that’s worse odds than I ever imagined

I mean... 67/50 or something lol

It's one of two choices not three since Jeff opens one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure I totally get outing Liana, might've spaced out there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

It's one of two choices not three since Jeff opens one
True enough, assuming he would never open the life one that is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can see people whining about the tribal being all political but that was better real race chat than a lot of people have probably ever seen and it was all well said and sincere.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
1 in 3 chance to stay is absolutely brutal, I'm glad he didn't go home on that BS.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hyped posted:

1 in 3 chance to stay is absolutely brutal, I'm glad he didn't go home on that BS.

It was 1/2 actually since Jeff revealed one of the fakes

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

blue squares posted:

It was 1/2 actually since Jeff revealed one of the fakes

1/3rd chance to win if he keeps the box
2/3rd chance to win if he switches

god help me I’m gettin trolled by Monty hall

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

With the Motny Hall I think that problem explicitly states the thing revealed is always a non-winner. They didn't say that here but I guess we should probably assume it.

From here imo we need a reshuffle of the players. Ricard needs to join Danny/Deshawn and they all need to realize that. The optimal move for Xander/Heather/Erika is to vote out Ricard and then band together against Danny/Deshawn, and if Danny/Deshawn go along with the Ricard boot then they'll be in trouble.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jeff going to set it up was so he'd know which was which

I think we can safely assume after the prisoners dilemma stuff they didn't just stumble into a fake Monty Hall problem

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I remember the season I gave up on TAR: the social media star season. Hard to enjoy people supposedly racing for a million dollars and *mugging for the cameras every other shot*. I mean, their personalities didn't endear them to me, either, but I'm sure they looked at it through the angle of "extending my brand" over "traveling the world and maybe winning a million." Thank you for listening to me yell at clouds, now I'm going home to watch Matlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Good thing he didn't, but it was the wrong choice. I'm dumb but my math friends tell me you always, *always* switch

I would have asked “were you always going to reveal a skull” because I feel like you’d get to know that, probably right?