Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sad pierogi
Sausage
Red beans and rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
yesterday's creamy spinach lasagna

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Breakfast for dinner night with a basic pan sauce.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Never used red potatoes for a shepard’s pie before, but I had a bunch of them so I just made regular red mashed potato’s and spread it, skin on an everything. Not sure if I’m happy how the top looks with those skins in it, but the taste came out great.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Looks like lil bacon crumbles so id be disappointed.

But if it tastes good!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Looks like lil bacon crumbles so id be disappointed.

But if it tastes good!

That’s exactly what my wife said! She was also disappointed :downs:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

That’s exactly what my wife said! She was also disappointed :downs:

The obvious solution is to add bacon crumbles next time!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

jng2058 posted:

The obvious solution is to add bacon crumbles next time!

I am so drat bored with bacon it’s crazy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Breakfast for dinner night with a basic pan sauce.

Breakfast food is too good to be contained to mornings.

Spicy honey glazed salmon, oven baked fries, and red pepper asparagus.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I am so drat bored with bacon it’s crazy.

But your wife clearly isn't, so....

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

jng2058 posted:

But your wife clearly isn't, so....

...Double down on more veggies?

Eggplant Rollatini!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mushroom stroganoff anyone?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

...Double down on more veggies?

Eggplant Rollatini!

Oh, YEAH!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Confit duck leg with thyme, pink pepper and cubeb;
Baby parsnip with maple sytup, thyme, ramp and truffle oil;
Purple broccoli;
St. Agur mash;
White port sauce.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Olpainless posted:

Confit duck leg with thyme, pink pepper and cubeb;
Baby parsnip with maple sytup, thyme, ramp and truffle oil;
Purple broccoli;
St. Agur mash;
White port sauce.

That is great.

Here's our thanksgiving dinner, parmesean crusted chicken, spaghetti with vodka red sauce, garlic bread and Malbec.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

So much went unpictured today... the antipasto, the macaroni, three different stuffings, all the desserts, all the sides, cornbread, rolls, wine...

But I was very happy with how my turkey came out so I grabbed a picture of that.

And my mom’s gravy... meatballs, sausage, and pork (the real star of the show)

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
No special event this side of the pond so I made General Tso's chicken with a cucumber sesame salad.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
We did a non-turkey thanksgiving because nobody wanted it...so Beef Wellington was the centerpiece instead.

Went the sous vide route for the meat and it turned out better than I had expected.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smoked Turkey Leg, Serious Eats Green Bean Casserole, white bread mushroom dressing with homemade turkey stock, celery root, parsnip, and yukon gold potato mash, homemade turkey gravy, and sriracha cranberry sauce.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 27, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

And my mom’s gravy... meatballs, sausage, and pork (the real star of the show)

You gotta have the pork…that’s the flavor

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
But don’t add too much onions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I didn't put too much onions. Three small onions that's all I did.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Three onions? How many cans of tomatoes you put in there?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I put two cans, two big cans.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You brought one onion too many.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I made chili again and it was even better than last time! I know how to make it consistently! YAY!!!!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Torquemada posted:

You brought one onion too many.

We had a pasta course

and then we had a meat or a fish

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made genovese with ten pounds of onions today, that was not too many onions luckily.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Persian lamb and mint meatballs in preserved lemon and yoghurt sauce

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken Marsala
Mashed potatoes
Veg

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Did a few days worth of research, thanks to the discussions from Louisiana home cooks on the internet, and made gumbo. Was absolutely phenomenal and I'll be making this again anytime the craving hits.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Welcome gumbo friend. It’s the perfect cold weather dish. Also it’s even better the second day and freezes really well.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Can’t believe I’ve never made gumbo before. Need to do it soon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Unsolicited tips:

1. Use homemade stock if possible
2. Make sure the stock is at a fast rolling boil before adding the roux (so start heating it while you make the roux—don’t wait)
3. Don’t try to get too dark with the roux. Milk chocolate is plenty dark. Remember you can always turn the heat down to make the roux more manageable—the darker it gets, the quicker it darkens (and eventually burns)
4. Add onions to the roux and let them cook a bit in there. It’ll get darker
5. Add the roux to the stock, not the other way around. You can do either way but this way is better.
6. Set aside an hour for the prep/roux making process.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

2. Make sure the stock is at a fast rolling boil before adding the roux (so start heating it while you make the roux—don’t wait)
3. Don’t try to get too dark with the roux. Milk chocolate is plenty dark. Remember you can always turn the heat down to make the roux more manageable—the darker it gets, the quicker it darkens (and eventually burns)
5. Add the roux to the stock, not the other way around. You can do either way but this way is better.

Strong disagree on all of these points.

1 and 5. I much prefer adding a few additions of not hot stock to the veg/roux mixture and stirring at each interval before cranking the heat to bring it up.

3. Take it super slow the first few times, but milk chocolate roux makes for a super disappointing gumbo, for me.

Luckily it’s gumbo. We’re both right/wrong. Except the roux. If it doesn’t look like 80% dark chocolate, keep going. :colbert:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Strong disagree on all of these points.

1 and 5. I much prefer adding a few additions of not hot stock to the veg/roux mixture and stirring at each interval before cranking the heat to bring it up.

3. Take it super slow the first few times, but milk chocolate roux makes for a super disappointing gumbo, for me.

Luckily it’s gumbo. We’re both right/wrong. Except the roux. If it doesn’t look like 80% dark chocolate, keep going. :colbert:

Sorry you’ve never had really good gumbo lol

(Just kidding of course we’re both right)

I’ve probably made hundreds of gumbos of all kinds. I used to always add stock to roux. Then I did it the other way just to see, and now I always add the roux to the stock. It’s 100% better every single time.

Adding less than boiling stock to roux leaves you susceptible to separation. Especially if you’ve taken the roux too dark. Which sucks if you ruin your wonderful homemade stock. There’s a scientific basis for this involving starch molecules and gelatinization and poo poo but I’m too lazy to look it up. I can promise you if you want to avoid ever having separation, make the stock boil like crazy and add your roux to it.

As far as color, we’re probably talking about the same color. I add onions when it’s a milk chocolate color—like a Hershey bar, not like peanut butter or chocolate milk—for a few minutes. Then it gets darker. But bringing a roux to the kind of very dark brown you see on some YouTube videos is not good. It’s bitter and thin. And unless you really know what you’re doing it won’t turn out good.

Here's a couple old roux making posts of mine, so you can see kind of what I'm talking about.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Made a seafood gumbo last night. Since we were recently talking about roux and different ways of making it, here is the 25-minute, one-mint-julep method.

Here it is added to the oil. 1 cup oil, 1 cup flour. The roux is the color of the enamel inside the pot, very pale cream color. Start on high heat, mid-sized gas burner. Active stirring is required 100% of the time, or it will burn quickly at this temp.

Five minutes in:

Ten minutes in:

Fifteen minutes in, we turn the heat down a little bit:

Twenty minutes in, and it is ready for the onions. I chopped up two onions and put them in the food processor to get them nice and tiny.

Keep in mind the roux will continue to brown with the onions in it. At this point the roux is a big, thick mass and so I use a flat spoon instead of the whisk from here on.

Five more minutes and here is the onion roux. It's a deep brown color and ready for the other vegetables, or you can just add the stock now.

Here it is ready to simmer before adding whatever else. At this point you have a gumbo that is ready for whatever you want to do with it. It will have hints of the stock you used and the vegetables, but other than that, it's a fairly blank canvas. I used a lobster/shellfish stock that I made a while back and froze. I heated it up in another pot, and stirred it in ladle by ladle. When adding stock, a few things to remember. Darker roux will separate more easily. Usually this is okay and will go away over time, but if you burned the roux, your gumbo will be bad. So if you are on a time crunch or cooking for people, just stop the roux when it's a deep golden brown color--don't go for those coffee colored roux you see on youtube videos, it's not worth the risk, especially if you are doing the high-temp 30 minute version. The line between very dark roux and burned roux is extremely thin and easily crossed at those temps.

I used okra, andouille, shrimp, crabmeat, and a couple crabs. I didn't take any final pictures as I've made this same gumbo a few times in this thread already and it looks pretty much the same, but this gives you a good idea how the roux should progress. You can always spread the process our over an hour at a lower temp if you are concerned about burning, but once you get the hang of roux-making 30 minutes is really all you need.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Today I made some chicken and andouille gumbo in honor of the start of college football.

This time I did 1.5 cups of flour to 1 cup oil, and used red and yellow peppers in addition to green. I think it worked out fine. Had a nice thickness to it.

I put the onion and green pepper and 1/2 of the celery through the processor and squeezed out the water.

Used about 5 quarts of homemade chicken stock, plus some water cause I wanted lots of leftovers to freeze.

Added a butchered chicken plus a couple extra thighs from the freezer, which I browned beforehand. Li'l okra and thyme from the garden.

Andouille

Saw some big rear end shrimp at the store for $5.99/lb, why not?

Sastified with the result.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here's an example of a dark roux, so dark that I had to whip the poo poo out of it to get it back together with the stock because it wanted to separate. But the flavor is something else. These pics are at 0 minutes, 10 minutes, and 20 minutes at high heat, then after another 5 with the onions in it.

The final result.

In my opinion, if you see darker gumbo than this, it wasn't made with a fresh roux (or the cook used kitchen bouquet some other coloring). Anything darker would have resulted in a hosed up gumbo. Maybe there's some way of doing it in the oven or dry or something that gets darker but I've never been able to get it darker than this without the gumbo being weird or separating or tasting off.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 3, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've done it sort of both ways and over the years kind of change from one method to the other or make the change depending on how big of a batch I'm cooking or if I'm cooking at a friend's kitchen or outdoors etc. Largely it's always going to work out fine. The only thing that is never quite great is getting the roux a little too light but even that is barely much of a problem if you've got a lot of other good ingredients going in it.

Homemade stock is so much better than canned or boxed stuff I would say really at this point it should be considered almost mandatory.

If you've never made it before it's probably fine to just use whatever you've got but once you get the hang of it you definitely want to make the switch to homemade stock.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I'm trying to give advice to someone who has never done it before based on the fuckups I've seen people get into on their first tries!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I want to love gumbo so bad but I hate okra to the extent that I think there is some grand conspiracy against me. Like everyone except me got together and agreed that they'd pretend to love the most disgusting plant they could possibly find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

I want to love gumbo so bad but I hate okra to the extent that I think there is some grand conspiracy against me. Like everyone except me got together and agreed that they'd pretend to love the most disgusting plant they could possibly find.

Wow so many wrong opinions in here today. But don’t worry, you can make gumbo without okra! It’s totally allowed!

But seriously, maybe you had some bad okra. Okra is great, but sometimes it’s really fibrous and awful. I’ve had it served to me in restaurants before where it was garbage.