Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Imagine three balls on the edge of a cliff. I'm smoking weed. Climate change is the cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've started seeing poo poo like this all over the place and it certainly sounds like the kind of max level cope you find with this kinda stuff, pretending we didn't gently caress ourselves irreparably decades ago, but I feel it's better to defer to people who might be better read on the specifics of it

https://twitter.com/leftoblique/status/1464335988675674117

I like the masterful way they change "Some typical right wing climate change deniers are denying climate change by saying it's too late/unsolvable" into "Anyone that says it's too late/unsolvable is a right wing shill with ulterior motives"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I like the masterful way they change "Some typical right wing climate change deniers are denying climate change by saying it's too late/unsolvable" into "Anyone that says it's too late/unsolvable is a right wing shill with ulterior motives"

It's everywhere and for all topics. This is routine now.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84d8eyhfyY

why isn't there a million of these things installed in every major waterway across the world
especially now that heavy rainfall that washes all our cheap plastic crap into the nearest river is becoming the new normal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
not gonna lie, i'm morbidly curious about how bad things will get by 2100 or 2200 when we've stopped emitting either voluntarily or through simply having so few humans our pollution is negligible and whether that geological age of badness will be thousands or millions of years

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

mr trash wheel gobbles up trash from american waterways so they can instead be incinerated and have their particles injected into american airstreams

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
The thing about "too late" is it only exists if you give it a specific definition. Too late for our current societal expectations of normal life? Absolutely. There's no saving the current model of north American living, mother earth will have her righteous vengeance on our stupid, selfish, destructive society. But there really isn't any moment that justifies not trying, because there's always a chance to have less people die, less species be wiped out, less damage, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect I'm not alone in feeling a deep depression and sadness that it's "too late" for a world that I think I could survive in or want to be a part of, and I try to turn that to "It's too late to do anything" so that I can justify sitting on my rear end being sad and eating poisonous bonbons from the terrible treat machine which I am a part of, however unwillingly. It just isn't true. Anything and everything should be done and must be done, and I think part of the sadness that permeates this thread is how hollow and unsatisfying it is to try and soothe yourself with lies about hopelessness. I am sad because I am weak. So far I cannot find a contribution I can make to resisting this awful, awful system, and I am ashamed of my own inaction. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way, whether they admit it or not.

Besides that, there is the fact that it being too late for the current way of life makes it feel like it is too late for me, personally. I am a creature of this ridiculous way of life. I hardly know how to cook, my body is nothing but sedentary aches and pains, I have no survival skills, little physical strength... what world is there for me when X happens and this all falls apart? When industrial agriculture fails, seemingly incredibly soon? Not much of one as far as I can tell. So is it too late for me? Well, saying so is a way to excuse not doing anything about my problems. If it is too late I can just kick back, keep getting baked on a daily basis, wait until that moment of societal collapse comes, and then pick my [satirical method of choice] and [parody myself.]

But I don't want to do that anymore. I've tried to give up and it doesn't loving work! I doubt it will work for you either. I am going to try, if only to say that I did and find some peace with myself in making an effort. I urge you to do the same. A Better End Of The World Is Possible!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

atelier morgan posted:

not gonna lie, i'm morbidly curious about how bad things will get by 2100 or 2200 when we've stopped emitting either voluntarily or through simply having so few humans our pollution is negligible and whether that geological age of badness will be thousands or millions of years

well it took about 6 million or so years to recover from the K-T extinction event (which occured over a relatively long period unlike our current co2+pollution ejaculation). so that's probably somewhat of a ballpark high end number. natural or unnatural forces will probably care care of a lot of humanity so who knows if we can achieve K-T levels but we're sure as hell trying our hardest.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Imagine these nuts on the edge of a cliff. I'm smoking weed. Climate change is the cliff.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

lol i was just smoking a joint, waiting for my tacos

just loling to myself at how hosed we are, apparently, in ways i can't quite comprehend with respect to logistical problems of crop failures and people needing to move with nowhere to really go etc

i think it's funny that i don't believe in an afterlife and this is the only life i get to be me, and this is what happens while i'm alive? gently caress, what are the odds?

the tacos are on a styrofoam plate, oh well

gently caress it :boom:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Xaris posted:

well it took about 6 million or so years to recover from the K-T extinction event (which occured over a relatively long period unlike our current co2+pollution ejaculation). so that's probably somewhat of a ballpark high end number. natural or unnatural forces will probably care care of a lot of humanity so who knows if we can achieve K-T levels but we're sure as hell trying our hardest.

Presuming the Earth doesn't go Venus! Whatever happens there's a 5 to 7.5 billion year window for life to march on before the sun consumes us. :black101:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

mr trash wheel gobbles up trash from american waterways so they can instead be incinerated and have their particles injected into american airstreams

whatever that's what mr trashcopter is for

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Alobar posted:

lol i was just smoking a joint, waiting for my tacos

just loling to myself at how hosed we are, apparently, in ways i can't quite comprehend with respect to logistical problems of crop failures and people needing to move with nowhere to really go etc

i think it's funny that i don't believe in an afterlife and this is the only life i get to be me, and this is what happens while i'm alive? gently caress, what are the odds?

the tacos are on a styrofoam plate, oh well

gently caress it :boom:

Reincarnation is real so you're good. It's fine.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

biosphere collapse: eating poisonous bonbons from the terrible treat machine

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Samuel Glompers posted:

I like it when there's aluminum in my food. Could someone put aluminum in there please?

how about some ARSENIC, CADMIUM and LEAD instead?

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/your-herbs-and-spices-might-contain-arsenic-cadmium-and-lead/

quote:

Your Herbs and Spices Might Contain Arsenic, Cadmium, and Lead

Yes, those seasonings really can add spice to our lives, filling our kitchens with tempting aromas and creating memories of people and places linked to special meals. But along with the flavor and memories, herbs and spices could add something less savory to your diet: potentially dangerous heavy metals.

That’s according to Consumer Reports’ tests of 15 types of dried herbs and spices used in a variety of cuisines. We looked at 126 individual products from national and private-label brands, such as Great Value (Walmart), La Flor, McCormick, Penzeys, Spice Islands, and Trader Joe’s.

Roughly one-third of the tested products, 40 in total, had high enough levels of arsenic, lead, and cadmium combined, on average, to pose a health concern for children when regularly consumed in typical serving sizes. Most raised concern for adults, too.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
humans can have a little cadmium as a treat

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

while i was waiting for my tacos i was also thinking about how, even though i'm very high, what are the odds this happened to venus?

venus is only 30 million years younger than earth. 4,503,000,000 years is a long time, tho. it's a very long time. :shrug:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

did you know arsenic cadmium ad lead are natural and therefore probably good for you

Alobar posted:

while i was waiting for my tacos i was also thinking about how, even though i'm very high, what are the odds this happened to venus?

venus is only 30 million years younger than earth. 4,503,000,000 years is a long time, tho. it's a very long time. :shrug:

very low to not at all based on our understanding of Venus’ chemical makeup

Tabletops has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Nov 29, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

I got a whole kit of loose leaf tea I leave at work and I too just leave it out in the open to share. I even had my own kettle at my desk, it was very fancy

I got this kind of bougie electric hot water kettle for coffee and tea. specific temp settings for various teas, and for coffee

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-enfinigy-cool-touch-kettle-pro-53101-500/53101-500-0.html

currently having several cups of this tea (well technically tisane but shutup) daily it's great

https://www.teasource.com/collections/shop-all-tea/products/sweet-cinnamon-orange-herbal-tea?variant=6563693187

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lizard people are real and ruined venus

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Tabletops posted:

did you know arsenic cadmium ad lead are natural and therefore probably good for you

Little know fact, the orginal gifts the 3 wise men brought baby jesus were gifts of Cadmium, Arsenic, and Lead

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rime posted:

Another heavy rainstorm rolling in on Tuesday/Wednesday. :black101:.

Tofino gets an average of 20 inches of rain in November? jfc

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Rime posted:

Another heavy rainstorm rolling in on Tuesday/Wednesday. :black101:.

This is the new normal. BC shall become the new amazonia henceforth. congratulations on your new title: Lungs of the EARTH!(2)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lizard people are real and ruined venus

They are innocent.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's me, I am the Mr. Garbage Wheel consuming the poison detritus of a dying civilization and I love it

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Meme Poker Party posted:

They are innocent.

I'm going to have to see some of their tits before I can make that call.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Alobar posted:

All I'm saying is this very conspicuously happened at least once before, and there's no vanishingly little chance any physical evidence of civilization would have survived from that period. :tinfoil:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

uh oh Vancouver might fall out of those ten most livable cities in the world lists lol

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Tabletops posted:

very low to not at all based on our understanding of Venus’ chemical makeup

how much plastic does it have in its core?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

actionjackson posted:

Tofino gets an average of 20 inches of rain in November? jfc

This place is not far away from Tofino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hucuktlis_Lake

quote:

Weather data from the Hucuktlis Lake fish hatchery shows that the lake is situated in the wettest place in North America. Hucuktlis Lake averages 6,903 mm (271.8 in) of precipitation, and in 1997 9,307 mm (366.4 in) fell, setting the all-time Canadian record.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

to go back to my alcoholism metaphor, just because we permanently damaged our liver years ago doesn't mean we need to be drinking ourselves to death today.

but the only acceptable plan is "keep drinking a handle a night for the next 4 years, then slowly decreasing* our alcohol consumption by 1oz a month until we're teetotalers" so no, we're not going to stop drinking ourselves to death using that plan.

*but if say someone else opens a beer or bottle of wine i can drink it all and it doesn't count against my booze limit because they would have drunk it anyway if i didn't so its like i never drank the bottle of wine at all when you think about it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol thats perfect

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

the final stage of climate denialism was always going to be "oops its too late, might as well not do anything"

Yes, the classic four stage strategy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXIetP5iak

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Rime posted:

All I'm saying is this very conspicuously happened at least once before, and there's no vanishingly little chance any physical evidence of civilization would have survived from that period. :tinfoil:

are any of our prolific micro- and nanotoxins able of surviving hundreds of millions of years without breaking down?

also, i'm kind of confused about whether or not plastics biodegrade or just become microplastic because it's just falling to tinier pieces and never going away.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Presuming the Earth doesn't go Venus! Whatever happens there's a 5 to 7.5 billion year window for life to march on before the sun consumes us. :black101:

Realistically there’s only another 1 to 1.5bn years before the sun brightens to the point where it cooks off all the water on this rock.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Reincarnation is real so you're good. It's fine.

it probably isn't. but it's still ok.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Lordshmee posted:

Realistically there’s only another 1 to 1.5bn years before the sun brightens to the point where it cooks off all the water on this rock.

We'll show that loving star and turn it to acid first

gently caress you, sun, you're not our real dad

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Imagine three balls on the edge of a cliff. I'm smoking weed. Climate change is the cliff.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Alobar posted:

are any of our prolific micro- and nanotoxins able of surviving hundreds of millions of years without breaking down?

also, i'm kind of confused about whether or not plastics biodegrade or just become microplastic because it's just falling to tinier pieces and never going away.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...B8F4339F7C70EC6

the original Silurian hypothesis authors seem to think that plastics and total nuclear war are the best bets for a reliable indicator of past advanced civilization. but the whole point of that paper is that it's really hard to detect that sort of thing. like imagine we cook ourselves, and then you've got a <500 year signal in the stratigraphy subjected to 50M-200M+ years of weathering and tectonics.

anyway i think it's a fun hypothesis. no particular reason that the earth needed to wait exactly this long (-~15,000 years) for a species to evolve intelligence to the point of civilization for the first time.

quote:

An intriguing hypothesis presents itself should any of the initial releases of light carbon described above indeed be related to a prior industrial civilization. As discussed in the section ‘Cretaceous and Jurassic ocean anoxic events’, these releases often triggered episodes of ocean anoxia (via increased nutrient supply) causing a massive burial of organic matter, which eventually became source strata for further fossil fuels. Thus, the prior industrial activity would have actually given rise to the potential for future industry via their own demise. Large-scale anoxia, in effect, might provide a self-limiting but self-perpetuating feedback of industry on the planet. Alternatively, it may be just be a part of a long-term episodic natural carbon cycle feedback on tectonically active planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...B8F4339F7C70EC6

the original Silurian hypothesis authors seem to think that plastics and total nuclear war are the best bets for a reliable indicator of past advanced civilization. but the whole point of that paper is that it's really hard to detect that sort of thing. like imagine we cook ourselves, and then you've got a <500 year signal in the stratigraphy subjected to 50M-200M+ years of weathering and tectonics.

anyway i think it's a fun hypothesis. no particular reason that the earth needed to wait exactly this long (-~15,000 years) for a species to evolve intelligence to the point of civilization for the first time.
Yeah that paper is a fun little meditation on deep time and just how *alive* the Earth is. But also

quote:

Thus, the prior industrial activity would have actually given rise to the potential for future industry via their own demise.

:sickos: