Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably negative reinforcement is needed to make people who are following both threads double-check before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm only halfway through the books, which thread should I post in

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

zoux posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983558

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

The one in Book Bran for new readers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That thread isn't about the show

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

That thread isn't about the show
post in here about the show and there about the books. Just don't cross the streams

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nihilarian posted:

Just don't cross the streams

Whoa spoilers

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pleads posted:

Whoa spoilers

Aes Sedai cross streams all the time though; it's kind of central to the whole idea of "weaving" magic that the story centers around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which they haven't really described in that much detail yet

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just tried to hop over to the books and it seems like a bad time because the bulk of episode 4 is off book and wherever I think I find a spot that seems like a familiar scene there's ike four extra people in the scene with names and backstories.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would honestly just watch all of season one before reading Eye of the world.

I think the show will just do it straight up better. Eye is the most rough book and can benefit the most from what they're doing imo.

After season one you can read eye as it's own thing and get the same story beats and backstory, and if you want to skim pages and pages of internal dialogue angst, you'll be able to do so guilt free.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gwaihir posted:

I would honestly just watch all of season one before reading Eye of the world.

I think the show will just do it straight up better. Eye is the most rough book and can benefit the most from what they're doing imo.

After season one you can read eye as it's own thing and get the same story beats and backstory, and if you want to skim pages and pages of internal dialogue angst, you'll be able to do so guilt free.

i was a bit skeptical about the show, but the non book scenes have so far been better than the book scenes, and it has a chance to cut away the unnecassary stuff from the books, so if they keep it up it will end up being better than the books

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'm definitely enjoying the show and the changes they've made to the books. Wild how much more likeable all the characters are when you're not reading paragraph after paragraph of their inner monologue :v:

Agree with Gwaihir though; finish S1 then pick up the books if you're so inclined.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I just tried to hop over to the books and it seems like a bad time because the bulk of episode 4 is off book and wherever I think I find a spot that seems like a familiar scene there's ike four extra people in the scene with names and backstories.
Read the first few books. The show will be there for you after.
The early books are great - not perfect, but still a great read up to about book 8. The show is infodumping a ton of stuff up front for some reason, whereas the books take a much more considered and carefully structured approach to the building of the world and its history.
Not sure what other posters in here are on about with the 'skip all the inner dialogue' and 'cut out all the unnecessary stuff' from the books. The first 5 or 6 books are pretty fast-paced. Not all of it is perfect by any means (these are fantasy books after all) but it is integral to the characters and the story, and you'll probably find it enjoyable if you like... you know... reading fantasy books.
I suppose you could skip the inner dialogue in any fiction work but it seems like a strange way to read a book IMO.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

El Grillo posted:

I suppose you could skip the inner dialogue in any fiction work but it seems like a strange way to read a book IMO.

There are books written with no internal dialog.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
the two things are offering different enough experiences that no one should feel bad or weird about doing one or the other first. Watching the show isn't going to ruin the first book, because there are many different and expanded scenes/internal backgrounds for characters. The show's also putting onscreen things that were offscreen in the books, which is good. It wouldn't be as engaging if it was a rote 1:1 re-creation of the book.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

El Grillo posted:

Read the first few books. The show will be there for you after.
The early books are great - not perfect, but still a great read up to about book 8. The show is infodumping a ton of stuff up front for some reason, whereas the books take a much more considered and carefully structured approach to the building of the world and its history.
Not sure what other posters in here are on about with the 'skip all the inner dialogue' and 'cut out all the unnecessary stuff' from the books. The first 5 or 6 books are pretty fast-paced. Not all of it is perfect by any means (these are fantasy books after all) but it is integral to the characters and the story, and you'll probably find it enjoyable if you like... you know... reading fantasy books.

if the books were "pretty fast-paced" the author could have told his story in three books max

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

if the books were "pretty fast-paced" the author could have told his story in three books max
A book can be both fast-paced, and long, and also only tell a part of a much larger story.
There is a huge amount of story to tell with WoT.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

Nah the story is way too big for 3 books. Are you thinking of children's books?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I'm curious how much influence Brandon Sanderson had over the ending of episode 4. He probably really liked it even if it wasn't his doing, since he loves writing anime-style scenes in his own books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Look all I'm saying is, if you think it's impossible to tell the story and also cut out all the descriptions of dresses and embroidery and the honor-shame implications of filling up ditches, I don't want to hear any more poo poo about how LotR is boring because of "landscapes"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

How are u posted:

Oh man, this is going way down the rabbit hole, but while the story as-is is too big for 3 books, it could tell the core stories in quite a bit less pages. And it could excise a ton of unnecessary (and sometimes repetitive) detail.

Which is, bringing it around, why I think the show could turn out better than the books if they maintain current standards of quality and pacing. It will excise and rearrange the corners Jordan wrote himself into and be better for it - just as it's already doing a solid job of making the series more inclusive, with less gender-essentialism.

That's a big IF but...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

How are u posted:

yes, wheel of time

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
As someone who's read all the books. Episode 4 took me from watching out of curiosity for what they might change, to genuinely excited for the next episode.

Loved it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And again the tv thread focus on the books, despite having two proper threads for the books!

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Seems like kind of an unfortunate inevitability right now, given that there's only four episodes out and any sort of speculation on upcoming events or show direction is inherently going to invite spoilery comparisons.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Mega Comrade posted:

As someone who's read all the books. Episode 4 took me from watching out of curiosity for what they might change, to genuinely excited for the next episode.

Loved it.

Same for me. I'm really enjoying this show. My wife hasn't read any of the books and is really enjoying it as well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just stop reading outside of like, Thursday night - Saturday night when people are talking about the actual latest episode :v:

Spoilery stuff is bad of course, but people talking about the books even in the TV show thread is virtually unavoidable and not inherently bad IMO. Like AMOL came out 8 years ago and the book barn thread is still super busy even before the show started, it's a beloved series.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

Seems like kind of an unfortunate inevitability right now, given that there's only four episodes out and any sort of speculation on upcoming events or show direction is inherently going to invite spoilery comparisons.

I would like to invite lots of speculation from non-readers, I love it so much. Especially when there's lots of weird mysteries to speculate on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Trollocs attacked Two Rivers because they wanted their own sets of comfy clothes.

(Spoiler Alert!)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

And again the tv thread focus on the books, despite having two proper threads for the books!

The books thread is more fun anyway. Gang tags are being developed.

But, yes, more episodes being available will help.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would like to invite lots of speculation from non-readers, I love it so much. Especially when there's lots of weird mysteries to speculate on.

I'm curious about the ember eyed figure in their dreams. Feel like 50/50 it's either The Dark One fellow everyone's going on about, or one of his minions.

I thought the wolves were just a vision Perrin was having until Egwene saw them too.

Rewatching the Trolloc fight in the first episode I noticed they showed the traveling merchant guy just kind of dipping out during the battle. Kind of expected him to show up with the travelers, but his cart looked different so I don't think he's with them.

Don't think Mat is the one who killed the family, no blood on his blade. Do wonder if the creeping crud that's crawling on his face is due to the cursed knife he found or something else. Don't know if I agree with the gleeman about him being a channeler though, he's certainly acting weird but I don't think they've given any indication he's hearing voices or anything. For that matter, I'm still not certain whether the gleeman is a good guy or another darkfriend. Reminds me of Aragorn at the beginning of FotR when he gave off menacing vibes for a bit.

[Edit- I guess I remember whispers when Mat wandered off in the cursed city, right before he found the knife... But that was pretty different to the other 2 male channelers they've shown that seemed to think the people talking to them were really there.]

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

rocketrobot posted:

The books thread is more fun anyway. Gang tags are being developed.

I'm working on some show ones that aren't book related!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Needs a “special” gang tag for combined book & show weirdos.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Don't think Mat is the one who killed the family, no blood on his blade.

stating purely what the show has shown us: mat's dagger didn't have anything on it but the fade's blade did, implying that it killed the family and mat somehow knew it was there and had done it and went to confront it for ??? reasons

just putting it out there, mainly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

stating purely what the show has shown us: mat's dagger didn't have anything on it but the fade's blade did, implying that it killed the family and mat somehow knew it was there and had done it and went to confront it for ??? reasons

just putting it out there, mainly

Yeah for a second I thought he had done it but once voldamort showed up it was pretty clear he didn’t do it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Loved it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah for a second I thought he had done it but once voldamort showed up it was pretty clear he didn’t do it.
lol I'm glad I'm not the only one whose brain instinctively makes that comparison every time the fade shows up

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rand is obviously the Dragon Reborn because with all the diversity in casting he's still the most Anglowy Saxon who ever saxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It’s those luscious lips.