Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I keep thinking the mom is Madam Masque but I dunno if that’s possible.

Show needs more Lucky. A while episode from his perspective, just like the Fraction/Aja run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jet Jaguar posted:

I keep thinking the mom is Madam Masque but I dunno if that’s possible.

This is my pet theory too. I'm not sure there's anything that would fully rule it out? There was a Madam Masque in Agent Carter but that's long enough ago both in the timeline of the shows and in our world that they can reuse the concept.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Party Boat posted:

This is my pet theory too. I'm not sure there's anything that would fully rule it out? There was a Madam Masque in Agent Carter but that's long enough ago both in the timeline of the shows and in our world that they can reuse the concept.

Aren't the pre-Disney+ shows basically non-canon now anyway?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Probably, until one of the new shows / films decides it wants to reference something from them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Party Boat posted:

Probably, until one of the new shows / films decides it wants to reference something from them.

If it's just a reference to them then it probably wouldn't mean anything on it's own; it'd only be if one of them decided to build off events in those shows that'd it'd really definitively canonize them. Maybe not even then, since if Vincent D'onofrio showed up as Kingpin talking about having fought someone called Daredevil it could just be him playing the same character with a similar history and Disney/Marvel could change it as they wish to fit their plans.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agent Carter is canon at least, as it was referenced directly in Endgame as Jarvis' actor from that show reprised his role.

But, yeah, they could just say "this is Jarvis from a mostly-the-same-but-kind-of-different-multiverse" if they wanted, 'cause it's all made-up bullshit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LividLiquid posted:

Agent Carter is canon at least, as it was referenced directly in Endgame as Jarvis' actor from that show reprised his role.

But, yeah, they could just say "this is Jarvis from a mostly-the-same-but-kind-of-different-multiverse" if they wanted, 'cause it's all made-up bullshit.

Yeah. That's the entire plot for the new Spider-Man movie, anyway. You get the Tobey and Andrew Spiderverses (and probably Venom?) colliding together into the MCU.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

LividLiquid posted:

We thought this about Evan Peters and didn't it turn out to be a 'fun nod' or something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

We thought this about Evan Peters and didn't it turn out to be a 'fun nod' or something.

The difference is that the WandaVision writers were deliberately misleading the audience. They wanted us to think he was the Foxverse version to sell Wanda's confusion.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
For a show about people whose super power is they are really good at shooting arrows there sure haven't been many arrows shot in Hawkeye through two episodes.

I think one of the problems the show has is it's based on a comic run that was very Clint centric, Kate is already established and only pops up from time to time from what I remember, but it's also trying to be an origin and passing the torch story for Kate, which that definitely wasn't.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate is the co-main character in the comic series. Like when she moves out to LA, they alternate issues with her and Clint. It's not her origin story, but it does very much grow her character from where she was beforehand.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Codependent Poster posted:

Kate is the co-main character in the comic series. Like when she moves out to LA, they alternate issues with her and Clint. It's not her origin story, but it does very much grow her character from where she was beforehand.

The Fraction run the Bro Mafia and the fellow in your avatar are from is mostly what I described though, isn't it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

With the apartment being arsoned already I'm worried that this version of Hawkeye won't have Grills

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LividLiquid posted:

Or Jarvis could just be the same dude. Doesn't mean the events of that show happened otherwise.

As someone else said they'll probably just pick and choose if they want to include characters/events as they go.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Party Boat posted:

With the apartment being arsoned already I'm worried that this version of Hawkeye won't have Grills

The LARPer who stole the suit introduced himself with that name.

Maybe this is what the show is. Each day some person steals the Ronin suit and an increasingly exhausted Clint has to stop them from killing themselves.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Of all the pre-D+ shows, Agent Carter is the only one that Feige had some kind of involvement in. If any of those shows are still canon, it'd be that for sure. And AoS, because I said so

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The Fraction run the Bro Mafia and the fellow in your avatar are from is mostly what I described though, isn't it?

Yes, but the series is about both of them. Kate doesn't pop up from time to time, she's focused on just as much as Clint. And while it isn't an origin story or passing the torch, it does put them both on the same level so they can share the Hawkeye name.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

cant cook creole bream posted:

The LARPer who stole the suit introduced himself with that name.

Turns out I'm an idiot lol

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Given what happened with Evan Peters in WandaVision, I’m fully expecting Vincent D’Onofrio to be in the show but his character will be named Hugh G. Rection.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Given what happened with Evan Peters in WandaVision, I’m fully expecting Vincent D’Onofrio to be in the show but his character will be named Hugh G. Rection.

Ehh, I don't really think they will pull that trick twice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Argue posted:

And AoS, because I said so

AoS sucked horribly, but I also would like it to be canon. They named a character with my first and last name, so I want to be canon in the MCU.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ehh, I don't really think they will pull that trick twice.

Yeah, he’ll be Hugh G Bohner, Ralph’s estranged father

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

For a show about people whose super power is they are really good at shooting arrows there sure haven't been many arrows shot in Hawkeye through two episodes.

I think one of the problems the show has is it's based on a comic run that was very Clint centric, Kate is already established and only pops up from time to time from what I remember, but it's also trying to be an origin and passing the torch story for Kate, which that definitely wasn't.

Part of the lack of arrows is the initial situation. Clint isn't in NYC as an Avengers or Assassin of SHIELD. He's taking his on a Christmas vacation (I do wonder why mom was left behind, though). He isn't carrying a costume and archery rig for that. Meanwhile Kate hasn't quite made the change from talented normal person to "costumed vigilante" yet. So she's not going to be bringing a bow and arrows everywhere with her either yet.

Figure this coming episode will show that the fecal matter has well and truly collided with the rapidly rotating blades and archery will become a lot more prominent soon.

Meanwhile, I don't care either way about Agent Carter or Agents of SHIELD, but godsdammit I need to see live-action Captain Carter from What If? in the MCU.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 30, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I feel like this has come up with every show but it is a show and we've only seen a third. There are still four hours left. Plenty of time for arrow shooting.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm kinda annoyed with this version of Grills - which sucks, cause as an actual loving nerd LARPer, I really wanted to like him. Dude stole something from the scene not only of a fire, but a fairly obvious arson, then goes gallivanting around in it despite the fact it matched the look of a high profile hotel attack and murder that was all over the news (this bit may be a little more forgivable since he *was* on duty during the news cycle in question - but one of the folks there should have asked him a question about it!)

As far as LARPer representation goes... meh. Not as bad as most, but still way off mark.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This show looks to be suffering for the same reasons that all the other MCU shows did-- poor fight cheorography

Kate vs the Mafia in the basement felt really weird and janky, and I'm willing to write that off as intentional

but Clint, the Ronin, master swordsman assassin badass, should have had a much cooler fight with the larpers. Like, a lot less slow motion. Have him just, normal speed, walking through the crowd, looking bored, with nerds falling down around him

Also Tony Dalton tells me that Paul F Thompkins deserves a role in the MCU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sockser posted:

This show looks to be suffering for the same reasons that all the other MCU shows did-- poor fight cheorography

Kate vs the Mafia in the basement felt really weird and janky, and I'm willing to write that off as intentional

but Clint, the Ronin, master swordsman assassin badass, should have had a much cooler fight with the larpers. Like, a lot less slow motion. Have him just, normal speed, walking through the crowd, looking bored, with nerds falling down around him

It's really fuckin bad dude, especially when compared to something like Titans.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I really like this so far and I have a theory about the head of the track suit mafia - She's deaf and her and Clint will commiserate over that. That also opens up a lot of sign language "bros"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
In response to the previous post; I don't think that suits the duality aspect of it - I think she'll have some form of tinnitus, caused/aggravated by something the Avengers did in New York, and the speakers are a way for her to dull or deaden the ringing noise she constantly hears otherwise.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I wish Kang was still running the TVA. When he was in charged I never found myself splitting off into weird universes with threads where people say Hawkeye is bad and Eternals isn't hot garbage.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sockser posted:

Figure Clint is a guy who probably could legitimately kill people with even a foam sword and as annoyed as he was with the whole LARP situation, he didn't really want to kill any of them,

Kate vs. the Tracksuits was Kate's first for real fight against people that really wanted to hurt/kill her, so of course it's kind of weird.

As far as Grillo scooping up the costume, he probably figured that the owner would just assume it had been destroyed in the fire. Meanwhile, just because you see a costume even in the MCU, it doesn't mean it's the real one. If there's a Spider-Man suit hanging up, it's still probably not Peter Parker's suit. Also, IIRC, the LARP seemed to have a theme of Vikings vs. Ninjas didn't it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

In response to the previous post; I don't think that suits the duality aspect of it - I think she'll have some form of tinnitus, caused/aggravated by something the Avengers did in New York, and the speakers are a way for her to dull or deaden the ringing noise she constantly hears otherwise.
That sounds overly complicated. Deaf people can "hear" music with high bass by feeling the vibration. She's even actively doing that by holding her hand in front of the box. I'm fairly sure she just likes the music.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would have preferred if they had focused on the Ninja Larp fireman at the end of the LARP field, and Clint on the other side with his pots-n-pans armor and boffer sword…

Then all of a sudden the music swells and it’s the same exact theme from the gigantic final battle vs Thanos and his aliens, and Clint is just sprinting through the field, just flawlessly sidestepping every move and effortlessly double tapping everyone softly on the back, but in the most epic slow motion cinema-style with the incredibly momentous music hitting all the emotional notes of the climactic battle where all his closest friends fought the universe…

And then right as Clint reaches the end of the field, he does like a full Neo-Matrix spin flip or Dodge-This style knee bend… and some snot-nosed Trek-loving dweeb calls out “hey I got you” and Clint stops on a dime, record-needle goes scratch, and Clint is like “what, no you didn’t” “yes huh, dude, I got you, my sword touched your belt buckle when you flipped over me onto the park bench, dude, your out!”

A much more realistic portrayal of larping in a city park, that’s for sure!!!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Total Meatlove posted:

Spoilers for who that character likely is based on comics

Presumably she's Echo, who in the comics was born deaf. They might change that for the show of course but it would be kind of a bummer for representation if they did

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Party Boat posted:

Spoilers for who that character likely is based on comics

Presumably she's Echo, who in the comics was born deaf. They might change that for the show of course but it would be kind of a bummer for representation if they did

They hired someone who was born deaf to play her, and she's spoken several times to various entertainment publications about how thrilled she is to be giving that community representation (I'd assume she's happy to be representation for Native Americans too; since she is one and I think she's the first Native American in the MCU) as a deaf person herself, so I very much doubt Disney changed it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh cool, that's very welcome news

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Disney for all their many faults are at least making some gestures to representation, since the deaf character Makkari in The Eternals was played by Lauren Ridloff, who was also born deaf, while the current phase of the MCU is introducing several female or non-White male legacy characters who are inheriting titles from White men, as well as introducing a few non-White male characters like Kamala Khan (aka Ms Marvel) and Riri Williams (aka Ironheart). Although, I guess Kamala is a legacy character too. I just don't tend to think of her as quite the same, since while she inherits the Ms. Marvel name, she isn't as heavily tied to the character she inherited it from or any legacy of her. At least, from my limited understanding of the character; not having read any of the comics.

I don't know of any other disabled characters or actors getting focus in the immediate future, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there were some in planning that I'm not aware of off-hand. Would Moonknight's multiple personality disorder and/or psychosis be classified as a disability? Or would disorders be considered something else?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

live with fruit posted:

I feel like this has come up with every show but it is a show and we've only seen a third. There are still four hours left. Plenty of time for arrow shooting.

Arrows are pretty lame tbh, he should be shooting bullets instead imo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bust Rodd posted:

I would have preferred if they had focused on the Ninja Larp fireman at the end of the LARP field, and Clint on the other side with his pots-n-pans armor and boffer sword…

Then all of a sudden the music swells and it’s the same exact theme from the gigantic final battle vs Thanos and his aliens, and Clint is just sprinting through the field, just flawlessly sidestepping every move and effortlessly double tapping everyone softly on the back, but in the most epic slow motion cinema-style with the incredibly momentous music hitting all the emotional notes of the climactic battle where all his closest friends fought the universe…

And then right as Clint reaches the end of the field, he does like a full Neo-Matrix spin flip or Dodge-This style knee bend… and some snot-nosed Trek-loving dweeb calls out “hey I got you” and Clint stops on a dime, record-needle goes scratch, and Clint is like “what, no you didn’t” “yes huh, dude, I got you, my sword touched your belt buckle when you flipped over me onto the park bench, dude, your out!”

A much more realistic portrayal of larping in a city park, that’s for sure!!!

Kate: On your left!

*Immediately takes a foam hammer to the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Electric Phantasm posted:

Arrows are pretty lame tbh, he should be shooting bullets instead imo

Bullets are boring. That's actually literally why Hawkeye doesn't use guns - because they make it too damned easy. With bows, it's more of a challenge.