Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Failson posted:

I'm just a returning aitee neophyte, no gangtag for me please.

Two more from the early aughts that have always stuck with me:

There was a big UFO seen over Stephenville, TX. Heavy "Nothing to see here, citizen." vibe, especially considering the Bush ranch is like 30 miles away:

https://www.npr.org/2008/01/16/18146244/dozens-claim-they-spotted-ufo-in-texas

These reports of glowing orbs murdering people in Uttar Pradesh also really spooked me too:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/police-sceptical-as-seven-reported-dead-in-ufo-attacks-1.432849

the stephenville radar report is one of the most competent things mufon ever released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Azathoth posted:

Okay , I've got 5 more free gangtags to give away. I think I got everyone who expressed an interest earlier (13 of you aspiring whackadoos holy crap), so if you'd like one the next 5 people to quote this post who have more than (let's say) 10 posts in this thread will get it added on to your existing av for free. If you've got 2 or more gangtags, lemme know which two you want to keep, admins are cracking down on that and won't approve it if there's more than 2 gangtags.

Serious credit goes to Bilirubin for absolutely kicking rear end with the design.
I am ready to receive my genetic bird tag.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Azathoth posted:

Okay , I've got 5 more free gangtags to give away. I think I got everyone who expressed an interest earlier (13 of you aspiring whackadoos holy crap), so if you'd like one the next 5 people to quote this post who have more than (let's say) 10 posts in this thread will get it added on to your existing av for free. If you've got 2 or more gangtags, lemme know which two you want to keep, admins are cracking down on that and won't approve it if there's more than 2 gangtags.

Serious credit goes to Bilirubin for absolutely kicking rear end with the design.
hit me

I want to feel the power of this "gangtag"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Okay, we're at 2 left!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

none for me thanks

so :tinylue: is talking more about how these things are from earth and we might be discovering new forms of life. huh? am I missing a broader conversation?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Azathoth posted:

*checks post history*

it appears as though i qualify for my branding

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Lue: these things are from here. they have always been here in the ocean. ufo dot com. i live for this
Coulhart (Australian): they are time travelers. they are trying to prevent a catastrophe. buy my book

Me (uniquely aware): they are psychological beings and they are plotting with the tree hive mind to wipe us off because of our crimes against the woods

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
dick dorkins: it is NOT aliens. i once watched a bitch and a dog do full 69 whilst thinking about my favorite show, young sheldon

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

*checks post history*

it appears as though i qualify for my branding

And it all comes down to this, one gangtag left and after that, if you wanna have one, you gotta buy it yourself! Who's gonna be that lucky

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Probably missed the cutoff for this but in the off chance I didn't, :)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Objurium posted:

Probably missed the cutoff for this but in the off chance I didn't, :)

You got the last one :)

Sorry folks, that is the end, it you want a sweet birdwatchers gangtag now, gotta go through the av purchasing system and give Jeffrey some scratch.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Quoting to see if I have this beauty.

Edit: Apparently I do not, and I was the one to suggest the thread get a gangtag in the first place :(

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Failson posted:

I'm just a returning aitee neophyte, no gangtag for me please.

Two more from the early aughts that have always stuck with me:

There was a big UFO seen over Stephenville, TX. Heavy "Nothing to see here, citizen." vibe, especially considering the Bush ranch is like 30 miles away:

https://www.npr.org/2008/01/16/18146244/dozens-claim-they-spotted-ufo-in-texas

These reports of glowing orbs murdering people in Uttar Pradesh also really spooked me too:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/police-sceptical-as-seven-reported-dead-in-ufo-attacks-1.432849

My sister was going to college in Stephenville at the time. This was definitely a real incident as there were many many people, including law enforcement that saw the UAP. Also, my sister said she frequently saw fighter jets passing over multiple times over the following week as did her friends so there was some kind of military response as well.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I would happily make a donation of $40 to the Jeffrey fund (and provide evidence) if we could see to it that the remaining interested parties got their tag

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

D-Pad posted:

Quoting to see if I have this beauty.

Edit: Apparently I do not, and I was the one to suggest the thread get a gangtag in the first place :(

You will, but no one has one yet. I should have been more clear. Mods can't directly change titles, we do the design work and put in a request with the admins, who need to approve it before it goes live. They are all still pending right now.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Why can't SA handle the sheer bulk of my tags? Sad times.
:iiam:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Demilich posted:

Why can't SA handle the sheer bulk of my tags? Sad times.
:iiam:

the twisted throne of SA has begun its work upon jeff...he cannot resist the call of the artisanal cookie

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I would happily make a donation of $40 to the Jeffrey fund (and provide evidence) if we could see to it that the remaining interested parties got their tag

I believe everyone who has asked so far has gotten them (including Barry Foster, I cheated and snuck in an extra), but if you want to purchase one for anyone from here on out, the code is [***url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967914][***timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/cspam-ufo.png[/timg][/url], just remove the two *** so the system parses it properly. Because the gangtag is uploaded to the SA servers, you can still do titles normally with the image upload, the tag just counts towards the character limit, not the image limit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

OG Birdwatcher

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Azathoth posted:

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Dang. Missed another gangsign sighting

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

it wasn’t a gang tag, actually, it was just an image that your monitor didn’t scale correctly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i can't believe this thread is only like 6 months old

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Is the 4 part Showtime UFO documentary that aired earlier this year worth a watch?

The first episode is free on YouTube

https://youtu.be/64s8ujoydRM

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Stephenville sighting strikes me as more of the classified aircraft kind of thing than something unexplainable. People saying it's 3000 feet up and moving at 3000mph probably aren't the most accurate because it's pretty much impossible to get a good idea of range and speed without either triangulating it or having an established frame of reference. I'm also thinking about the old stories of pilots buzzing Kelly Johnson's house at full throttle with the SR-71 to see how many windows they could break with the sonic boom, and I don't believe for a second that test pilots these days aren't just loving around with people for fun.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

interesting interesting and how do you account for it being "bigger than a Wal-Mart."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

guess they had to scramble other aircraft to reign that wacky flyboy in

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

GWBBQ posted:

The Stephenville sighting strikes me as more of the classified aircraft kind of thing than something unexplainable. People saying it's 3000 feet up and moving at 3000mph probably aren't the most accurate because it's pretty much impossible to get a good idea of range and speed without either triangulating it or having an established frame of reference. I'm also thinking about the old stories of pilots buzzing Kelly Johnson's house at full throttle with the SR-71 to see how many windows they could break with the sonic boom, and I don't believe for a second that test pilots these days aren't just loving around with people for fun.

one of the main things i took away from the rogan interview with the navy tiktac guy was him admitting how they would spot campers through their thermals at night, cut the throttle, glide over the top of them then just slam the throttle forward and shoot up into the sky with a big fiery WWOOOOOSH

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Goast posted:

one of the main things i took away from the rogan interview with the navy tiktac guy was him admitting how they would spot campers through their thermals at night, cut the throttle, glide over the top of them then just slam the throttle forward and shoot up into the sky with a big fiery WWOOOOOSH

UAPs are just aliens loving with fighter pilots like fighter pilots gently caress with other people

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

PokeJoe posted:

i can't believe this thread is only like 6 months old
Me neither, aitee feels like much longer ago than it was. This is the best thread though and is most of the reason I registered

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Goast posted:

I was out in the desert once doing work and one of our field assistants was IRL a federal law enforcement officer who, after we got buzzed like that a few times got his like hundreds of thousands of candlelight spotlight out of the truck and lit one of those flyboys up as he came screaming in. He then strongly urged us to head back to camp asap. Found out sometime later that it apparently caused a bit of chatter on their side.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

I was out in the desert once doing work and one of our field assistants was IRL a federal law enforcement officer who, after we got buzzed like that a few times got his like hundreds of thousands of candlelight spotlight out of the truck and lit one of those flyboys up as he came screaming in. He then strongly urged us to head back to camp asap. Found out sometime later that it apparently caused a bit of chatter on their side.

Some things are human traits that I suspect are truly universal. Why would birds do X? Because they found it hilarious for completely inscrutable reasons.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Sure, maybe.

quote:

Allen described the unidentified object as being an enormous aircraft with flashing strobe lights — and it was totally silent.

He said the UFO sped away at more than 3,000 mph, followed by two fighter jets that were hopelessly outmaneuvered. Allen said it took the aircraft just a few seconds to cross a section of sky that it takes him 20 minutes to fly in his Cessna.

The veteran pilot said the UFO, an estimated half-mile wide and a mile long, was "bigger than a Wal-Mart."

Or maybe not. lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

goochtit posted:

Me neither, aitee feels like much longer ago than it was. This is the best thread though and is most of the reason I registered

:hellyeah:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

rah! displaying surprising cowardice by not tagging up

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Azathoth posted:

You got the last one :)

Sorry folks, that is the end, it you want a sweet birdwatchers gangtag now, gotta go through the av purchasing system and give Jeffrey some scratch.
Rah doesn't have one and let's be honest, if anyone deserves one ....

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Saucer Hovers posted:

rah! displaying surprising cowardice by not tagging up

I am Ra(h). I am in all those tags.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

the tags :vince:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

who will watch the bird watchers???