Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am definitely not looking to buy an REI-branded mat after my poor experience with the one I already have. And definitely looking for a Thermarest-style self-inflating pad rather than an air bed. I tend to prefer the individual pads, maybe just because it's what I'm used to. Any recommendations specifically for one of those? Like I said, I'm inclined toward Thermarest, but would consider another brand, although some of the other well-reviewed ones (Sea To Summit, Nemo, Expad) are also quite expensive. It is nice that many of those, even the self-inflating ones, come with a pump sack to get the last little bit of air in, although I slept for years on Thermarests that were only as filled as the self-inflate valve could get it.

In the Thermarest line I am wondering if the LuxuryMap or BaseCamp would suit my needs. The MondoKing 3D seems to be the best-liked, but at that point ($210 or so) maybe you start to look at one of the other brands that also comes with the pump sack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

guppy posted:

I'm not going to be doing any hardcore camping in Finland or whatever but I guess I would like winter to be an option.

Snow camping changes many of the requirements of your gear, so you may have to pick up specific pieces for winter car camping in snowy conditions (or really any conditions where it's cold enough to form ice). On top of my head, they are:
  • A four-season tent (any other standard tent is known as 3-season tents)
  • zero degree sleeping bag
  • two sleeping pads per person. Generally one will be closed cell, and the other one is inflatable. Otherwise, your heat will seep into the ground and you won't be able to sleep.
  • winter clothes, etc.

You will also have to consider how freezing temps may affect your gear and prepare accordingly.

If you live in places like California (excluding the mountains or the rare times that it snows in Los Angeles) then it's not cold enough to snow so the above precautions aren't as necessary.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 25, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

I am definitely not looking to buy an REI-branded mat after my poor experience with the one I already have. And definitely looking for a Thermarest-style self-inflating pad rather than an air bed. I tend to prefer the individual pads, maybe just because it's what I'm used to. Any recommendations specifically for one of those? Like I said, I'm inclined toward Thermarest, but would consider another brand, although some of the other well-reviewed ones (Sea To Summit, Nemo, Expad) are also quite expensive. It is nice that many of those, even the self-inflating ones, come with a pump sack to get the last little bit of air in, although I slept for years on Thermarests that were only as filled as the self-inflate valve could get it.

In the Thermarest line I am wondering if the LuxuryMap or BaseCamp would suit my needs. The MondoKing 3D seems to be the best-liked, but at that point ($210 or so) maybe you start to look at one of the other brands that also comes with the pump sack.

Basecamps are fine at 2" thick and some side sleepers are ok on them. I used one of the old models for years without issue. 3" thick mats like the Luxury Map are easy for nearly anyone to sleep on, and I like having them for car camping. That said, they are expensive.

I took a gamble on two of these when they were a lightning deal for <$70.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY47PFS/

Very comfortable 3" pad, integrated pillow, and self inflating, though like most self inflating mats you need to blow into the valve for the last little bit if you want it nice and firm. They have survived 3 trips without issue, and they're comfortable enough I don't mind having guests sleep on them when we run out of bed space.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Since you're car camping, buy a little battery air inflator and it will make your inflatable pad life much nicer. Something like this: https://www.rei.com/product/187674/exped-widget-pump Sea to summit makes one too, just be sure to get one that can connect to your pad (everyone has a different connector).

The thermarest xtherm is a good option if you just want to buy one pad and be done with it for good. It'll work in any temp above or below freezing (R value is 6.9) and it's made from much tougher material than their lighter backpacking pads. I've had an xtherm max that I cut down and resealed to 3/4 length size and it's worked great for over 5 years of abuse now. It's very comfortable to sleep on too.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 25, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can vouch for Sea to Summit pads. You'd probably want something from the Comfort line. Worth the money if you want to spend it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like Exped for solo camping, but if OP likes Thermarest products there’s no reason to not just buy the most expensive pad you’re comfortable (:lol:) with from a spot with a good return policy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
If you really want to go down the sleeping pad deep end, there's always this:
http://pads.parametrek.com/index.html?type=self-inflating

I don't think it's updated that frequently since the first thing I clicked on was no longer made.

Thermarest makes a fine pad, but for a three season, self-inflating, car camping pad I'd be tempted to just roll the dice on some random Amazon brand. That said, since you've kept your last pad for 30 years perhaps you'll utilize the lifetime warranty.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've had about the same luck with different brands from thermarest and rei to big Agnes but I prefer BA because of their comfort. You need to learn to patch a hole in an air pad if you go that route because it might not happen immediately but with enough use you'll get a pinhole eventually. Shoe goo or similar flexible adhesive works great.

For car camping, definitely go for durability and comfort. I wouldn't even be looking at backpacking pads whatsoever since you don't plan to backpack. You'll just be paying a premium for lightweight and less durable materials that you don't need.

Exped mats are great in terms of comfort. Most brands are starting to develop better car camping mattresses along the same lines which are self inflating, rectangular, and have about 4-5 inches of padding with good valves that inflate and deflate quickly and mostly self inflating. They all seem to run around $200 but better than most air pads in terms of comfort.

For a tent footprint, just go get a tarp or another tents footprint that closely matches the size of your tent. You can also buy a sheet of tyvek as that also works great.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Exped here. Their warranties have gotten worse over time, unfortunately, but I daily drove one for a few years living out of my car, and it only busted an internal wall just before the end of its not-insignificant 5-year warranty.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Im starting to gear shop for a few things for my trip to Medicine Bow National Forest this April and the big piece of gear that cause me issues last year was snow shoes. I spent almost a third of my trip out there calling around and then driving back into Larime to rent a set. Then even more time trying to figure out how to move around using them. On top of that, since the Spring thaw was starting I often had to fumble with taking the snowshoes off to cross south facing slopes where the snow had melted off only to put them back on to cross the next north facing slope. Being from Texas it was a very baffling experience but I also learned a lot and got to try a new thing, which is always cool. So what I am hoping to find is a pair of snowshoes that can fit on a pack comfortably, are fairly quick to take off/put on, but also can support me carrying a backpack camping setup up into the mountain to hopefully track down a black bear.

So I guess my question is, anyone have recommendations for reasonably prices or on sale snowshoes that can do all of that? I suspect the shoes will probably spend most of their time sitting in the truck unused, but if they are needed they are going to be a make or break piece of gear. I was hoping to find a pair in the $250 range either used, on sale, or otherwise discounted but honestly the topic of snow shoe selection is so foreign to those of us living here in Texas I am kind of at a loss as to where to even start.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You don’t have to buy used to hit that price point. I rented a few different brands from a local gear store and the base MSR Evo’s from REI before settling on these. I find these pretty easy to get on and off, though looking at the reviews some people have complaints about the straps. Might have something to do with gait or foot size or something, so like with any gear try to give it a little trial run before relying on it. Add the tails if you’re carrying a heavy load and you should be good to go.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Freaquency posted:

You don’t have to buy used to hit that price point. I rented a few different brands from a local gear store and the base MSR Evo’s from REI before settling on these. I find these pretty easy to get on and off, though looking at the reviews some people have complaints about the straps. Might have something to do with gait or foot size or something, so like with any gear try to give it a little trial run before relying on it. Add the tails if you’re carrying a heavy load and you should be good to go.

Literally just got a pair of these last week. I haven't even taken them out of their packaging (and probably won't get a chance to for a while), but everything I read indicated they were the best value for off-trail use. If you're not doing a ton of climbing you might even be able to get away with the Evo Trails which are missing the heel lifter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Evo Ascents are fuckin dope

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think I have the revo ascent from msr and I got them at an rei garage sale for $75 basically brand nee. They're great and if only they could make the bindings ... simplified but I think they just did that with their newer models.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Whelp, Evo Ascents it is then. Im going to try to shop around locally and see if I can find a place that has them in stock so I can try them on, but I suspect Ill be stuck buying them blind and just returning them if its a poor fit. Thanks folks, I really appreciate the help. All this snow stuff is very confusing to me but also a lot of fun.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
If your pack has an adjustable brain I like to use it to hold snowshoes. I pull the brain out so there's a big gap between the pack and bottom of it and then close it over the snowshoes and snug it down. Otherwise try to find some webbing loops or other attachment points and lash them on with some cord.

I'd try to see if you can make it without them. April and spring can be all over the place, but if it hasn't been snowing and the snowpack has started to consolidate a lot then maybe just boots and spikes/traction will be enough. Transitioning from snowshoes on and off just plain sucks. Hiking in them with an overnight pack can suck too as I find beyond 30 lbs. or so I'm not getting good float with snowshoes anyways.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm also looking at foam sleeping pads, to put on my wishlist,but I'm left wondering has there been any info on storing them deflated long term. I don't exactly have space to store it uncompressed.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I'd try to see if you can make it without them. April and spring can be all over the place, but if it hasn't been snowing and the snowpack has started to consolidate a lot then maybe just boots and spikes/traction will be enough. Transitioning from snowshoes on and off just plain sucks. Hiking in them with an overnight pack can suck too as I find beyond 30 lbs. or so I'm not getting good float with snowshoes anyways.

I did give it a shot and found myself post holing like crazy. It got to the point that my ACL or some other similar bit in the back of my leg was starting to ache each time I fell into the snow which was a pretty big concern for me since I am not a young person any more. Even after I rented a pair of snow shoes I would occasionally post hole into the snow in the area I was hunting. Of course, I have no clue what I am doing in that kind of environment so I expect someone with more experience could probably manage ok. For me though I view having a set on hand as cheap insurance for future hunts in the snow so I dont have to spend a day heading back into town to call around in search of a rental.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah sometimes the snow just sucks and is so warm and wet that everything sinks. Springtime in the mountains. :) If it's still getting cold at night you might have more luck going out earlier in day to hit the snowy parts and hope they're firmer. Some tails for the evos might help too--they're not super heavy and add more surface area to float on: https://www.msrgear.com/snowshoes/snowshoe-accessories/evo-tails/05650.html

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Snowshoeing might be fun let's look at these Evo Ascents.

:saddowns:

quote:

Recommended load up to 180 lbs. including hiker plus gear

I'd have to lose 100 pounds and snow shoe bare rear end naked with no other gear apparently.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It really depends on the snow--if you go snowshoeing on a popular trail that's been walked all over it will be a lot firmer and you'll have no trouble. In my experience with the evos that load rating is more for when the snow is warm mush or completely fresh powder, kind of the worst case scenario. Go out on a nice day to a flat popular area and you'll have no problems--sometimes you don't even need the snowshoes.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

charliebravo77 posted:

Snowshoeing might be fun let's look at these Evo Ascents.

:saddowns:

I'd have to lose 100 pounds and snow shoe bare rear end naked with no other gear apparently.

I'm pretty sure the Lightning Ascent larger size is rated for more weight. But they're also more expensive and overall larger (so could be more cumbersome strapped to a pack, etc).

I have a pair of Lightning Ascents that are 10+ years old and still going strong. I do wish I had those fancier modern bindings, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The MSR Evo Tail accessory is nice for fresh powder or carrying more weight. I'm 210ish and unless it's super fresh powder, I can do just fine on the Evo Ascents.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm tempted to get a Rumpl nanoloft since they're on sale right now. Does anyone have experience with these types of blankets and their competitors?

Use case would be hiking and camping with a newborn/baby. We figure it'd be generally useful bundling up breastfeeding mom, a second ground layer over something thin, and even as a makeshift hammock underquilt (not for sleeping, just hanging out). Bonus points for synthetic fill to easily wash after frequent baby spillage.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if they're more hype than useful, but most reviews are pretty good. I'd spring for the Patagonia one, but it's significantly more expensive.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I did give it a shot and found myself post holing like crazy. It got to the point that my ACL or some other similar bit in the back of my leg was starting to ache each time I fell into the snow which was a pretty big concern for me since I am not a young person any more. Even after I rented a pair of snow shoes I would occasionally post hole into the snow in the area I was hunting. Of course, I have no clue what I am doing in that kind of environment so I expect someone with more experience could probably manage ok. For me though I view having a set on hand as cheap insurance for future hunts in the snow so I dont have to spend a day heading back into town to call around in search of a rental.

Did you try some light over-the-shoe crampons? That sounds a lot more appropriate to your use case (patchy snow) than snowshoes. Something like yaktrax.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

incogneato posted:

I'm tempted to get a Rumpl nanoloft since they're on sale right now. Does anyone have experience with these types of blankets and their competitors?

Use case would be hiking and camping with a newborn/baby. We figure it'd be generally useful bundling up breastfeeding mom, a second ground layer over something thin, and even as a makeshift hammock underquilt (not for sleeping, just hanging out). Bonus points for synthetic fill to easily wash after frequent baby spillage.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if they're more hype than useful, but most reviews are pretty good. I'd spring for the Patagonia one, but it's significantly more expensive.

its hype imo. my only experience with them was as an REI employee a few years ago. they look dope, feel nice, are hella expensive and probably shed microplastic every time you move them. if you have a breast-feeding age child i assume you're probably car-camping at most, so just bring natural fabric blankets you already own. i swear i'm not crunchy granola but if nothing else they are overpriced for what you get (the patterns ARE nice, i cant lie)

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
With the exception of the big 3, Mrs. rear end Trophy and I pretty much have all the gear we need for our overnighter into the Cleveland National Forest. The plan was to rent a tent, 2 sleeping bags/pads and a larger pack for me. Her Osprey 36L can handle a bag and has external straps for a pad. I'd be hauling the kitchen and the tent.

But we went up to my parents' house and found this:
https://www.geartrade.com/item/514305/north-face-renegade-pack

My brother used it to sleaze around Europe after college in 1999. From what I can gather, it retailed for $400 and was a pretty decent pack in the day. Does seem a bit heavy, but the internal rubberized waterproofing looks to be in good condition. The thing is huge. Something like 86L. And it comes with a detachable lid that converts into a stylish fannypack, or whatever they were called back then.

Hopefully I won't overload it and kill myself. I still plan to buy something modern if this backpacking thing proves to be enjoyable.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Chard posted:

its hype imo. my only experience with them was as an REI employee a few years ago. they look dope, feel nice, are hella expensive and probably shed microplastic every time you move them. if you have a breast-feeding age child i assume you're probably car-camping at most, so just bring natural fabric blankets you already own. i swear i'm not crunchy granola but if nothing else they are overpriced for what you get (the patterns ARE nice, i cant lie)

That's unfortunate to hear.

This is not limited to car camping. It'd be long day hikes, snowshoeing, and eventually backpacking (we hope). Something to pack along that is lightweight, somewhat warm, a bit water resistant, and easily washable was the goal. We can toss another jacket in the bag I suppose, but the Rumpl type blankets seemed a nice possible solution.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

incogneato posted:

This is not limited to car camping. It'd be long day hikes, snowshoeing, and eventually backpacking (we hope). Something to pack along that is lightweight, somewhat warm, a bit water resistant, and easily washable was the goal. We can toss another jacket in the bag I suppose, but the Rumpl type blankets seemed a nice possible solution.

We are perhaps a bit grunge but we always did fine with an extra full-zip sweater/mid-layer of some kind to lay over breastfeeding baby.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

incogneato posted:

A camp blanket is a nice luxury item, it just doesn’t sound like you need the specific minor weight and cost savings of the nanoloft. Have you looked at the original rumpl, or cheaper competitors like the kelty bestie? Any of those are light enough to pack for a day hike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

incogneato posted:

A friend of mine has one and he's a fan. I've no other camping blankets to compare it to, though. You can always buy it on sale from REI and see how you like it. They're pretty good on their 1 year return policy.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Walmart has a Rumpl knockoff for $19 too: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Packable-Blanket-with-Stuff-Sack-Gray/632092084 It's plain old polyester insulation and not a fancier synthetic, but for a basic blanket it might not matter. Costco also usually has similar synthetic insulation packable blankets for cheap.

IMHO if you're spending more than $100 or so I'd look at a proper quilt, like something from EE: https://enlightenedequipment.com/synthetic/ They'd work better as a sleeping bag replacement but still be useful as a camp quilt.

I've modified Rumpl clone quilts as top quilts, underquilts, etc. for hammock camping and they work well but it can be a bit more fiddly vs. getting something purpose built for the task. Also realize that thin ripstop nylon like Rumpls and clones use can be very slick and will slide right off you or your clothes at night--that's why proper sleeping quilts wrap around and secure to your sleeping mat.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 30, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

incogneato posted:

Thanks for bringing this up, I was thinking about getting one for my wife for xmas and $75 for the normal one is tolerable.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have one by Coalatree. Similar idea. I have the puffy and normal; and they snap together. Real nice for car camping, I put it down as my first layer in my tent to keep some extra warmth. Also works well as a travel blanket in cars/planes.

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

I'm planning to invest in a water filter for my family to use when we go tripping. Does anybody have hands on experience with MSR Guardian? Is it worth the price?
https://www.msrgear.com/ie/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers/guardian-purifier/02370.html

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Guardian is amazing, but depending on where you’re using it, almost certainly overkill. That said, if weight and money are not an issue, hard to beat it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AeroZ posted:

I'm planning to invest in a water filter for my family to use when we go tripping. Does anybody have hands on experience with MSR Guardian? Is it worth the price?
https://www.msrgear.com/ie/water-treatment/filters-and-purifiers/guardian-purifier/02370.html

What exactly is your use case and region? Is this backpacking, car camping, something else? That MSR is a beast and very good, but as noted is probably overkill for most people.

Platypus Gravityworks is my top choice for convenience, speed, and ease of use. I carry a Sawyer Squeeze as a lightweight backup, and something that is easier to pull out on the trail or a day hike.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I prefer pumps to squeeze-style ones for various reasons, but there are perfectly good sub-$100 pumps too. MSR Sweetwater and Katadyn Hiker are both fine.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I've used the guardian and had no complaints, but it is pretty big. It's great for group outings where one person takes it to lighten everyone's load and not all take filters. Also good for base-camp scenarios where you haul it out once and fill containers to keep water around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I switch back and forth between pump and squeeze filters. I hate whichever one I'm currently using.