Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally finished TMNZS2 - god, what an amazing run. I desperately wanted David to win, even though I knew it was unlikely. The shoestring task was amazing. :allears:

His anger is something to behold, it’s just 0 or 100, no in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I would put money on them bringing David over to the UK to do a one-off special with "contestants from other Taskmaster versions" in a year or two. Everyone loves the guy.

Also, he's selling that calendar he made for a prize task. Spend the whole year with a nearly naked man:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVCrP0LpYgT/?utm_medium=share_sheet

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I hope they do a multinational champion of champion special somewhere. They already have enough versions for 5 contestants.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I wonder how a show of just the lowest scoring contestants from past seasons would turn out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Could be interesting. Or it could be just 5 people making tea instead of doing the task.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/taskmaster-champion-of-champions-alex-horne-rates-the-contenders/

Little Alex Horne posted:

After the confirmation of a Champion of Champions, Alex said that “a lot of people” have asked him for a Loser of Losers, getting back no-hopers Roisin Conarty, Joe Wilkinson, Paul Chowdhry, Lolly Adefope and Nish Kumar.

“I don’t think we can reward the losers, that’s the only trouble,” says Alex. “You don’t want there to be a precedent set that if you come last, you’ll get put back on.

The Master of Tasks is sacred. No tanking.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But the viewers are the ones who are rewarded :confuoot:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It sounds like he's taking the rankings more seriously than most of the players and audience.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

stev posted:

It sounds like he's taking the rankings more seriously than most of the players and audience.
I think he has a point. It's not that everyone needs to attack the show with the seriousness of Ronaldo trying to win kickball. But the show only works if everyone treats the format with a minimum level of respect and earnestness.

Fundamentally the show is a stupid idea and it'll stop working if people start treating it like a stupid idea.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

That has already happened with the prize task. S1 and 2 had some you would actually want to win. Car, wedding ring, blank check, oven.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think he has a point. It's not that everyone needs to attack the show with the seriousness of Ronaldo trying to win kickball. But the show only works if everyone treats the format with a minimum level of respect and earnestness.

Fundamentally the show is a stupid idea and it'll stop working if people start treating it like a stupid idea.

Yeah, I think he has the right idea here. The competition isn't actually serious, but the competitive spirit still needs to be there for the show to work.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Absolutely incredible season. I think these are the best live tasks they've ever come up with.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

While Victoria was my favorite from this season, you do get a sense from the show and the podcast that she probably wouldn't jump to do more TM. Champions work because everyone there was celebrated and came out on top of their season, giving them an incentive to show up for the CoC. Champion of Losers has the people who took a lot more gruff during the show (even jokingly) and I can't imagine many would be thrilled to return under that banner.

Just kind of feels mean in concept, basically.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The_Doctor posted:

Finally finished TMNZS2 - god, what an amazing run. I desperately wanted David to win, even though I knew it was unlikely. The shoestring task was amazing. :allears:

His anger is something to behold, it’s just 0 or 100, no in between.

I was trying to think of an episode to show when I go home for the holidays and I think I've settled on NZ 2x02 just because of David. So much crazy in a single episode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

While Victoria was my favorite from this season, you do get a sense from the show and the podcast that she probably wouldn't jump to do more TM. Champions work because everyone there was celebrated and came out on top of their season, giving them an incentive to show up for the CoC. Champion of Losers has the people who took a lot more gruff during the show (even jokingly) and I can't imagine many would be thrilled to return under that banner.

Just kind of feels mean in concept, basically.

Yeah, as much as I'd love to see like Nish Kumar or Joe Wilkinson compete again, I think people who have already been burned badly by the show might be less enthusiastic about trying again. Sure, the show makes fun of everybody, but there's the premise of giving everybody the chance to be the best, which everybody in their hubris assumes they will be. It's hard to get people who have already done horribly to have that same kind of hopefulness that drove them the first time around.

You'd have an easier time convincing people who did more middling to come back, like James Acaster or Al Murray or Rose Matafeo. Maybe Aisling Bea. They still have some fight in them. But the champions are the ones who are overflowing with confidence, and that's the kind of attitude that can make for some of the best comedy..

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As much as I love Nish Kumar, I would really love a tournament of second-place finishers over the last place contestants. Joe Lycett, Jessica Knappett, Rose Matafeo, Daisy May Cooper, and Mike Wozniak would be a hell of a series.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Do Taskmasters Revenge, where the losers are involved to set tasks for the second placers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Taskmaster NZ s1 worth watching even if it isn’t an all-timer like 2?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Taskmaster NZ s1 worth watching even if it isn’t an all-timer like 2?

It's rougher around the edges, but still worth a watch.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
NZ S1 has the intense weirdness of Angela Dravid which is worth the price of admission alone.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The first couple of episodes are very much feet finding but it ends strong.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SixFigureSandwich posted:

NZ S1 has the intense weirdness of Angela Dravid which is worth the price of admission alone.

Of all the people across however many seasons of Taskmaster worldwide, the person I'm most happy to have discovered is Angella Dravid.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Angella is the reason I watched Taskmaster NZ, I stumbled across a video compilation of her prize task entries and it was enough to get me to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJ0S8-enE8

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

The World Inferno posted:

I would put money on them bringing David over to the UK to do a one-off special with "contestants from other Taskmaster versions" in a year or two. Everyone loves the guy.
I saw him in an ad on YouTube here in the UK the other day, so presumably he's already here...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Angella is the reason I watched Taskmaster NZ, I stumbled across a video compilation of her prize task entries and it was enough to get me to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJ0S8-enE8
That video just led me to this bit in her wiki entry:

At the age of 17 after being groomed online, Dravid ran away from home and arrived in the UK to begin a relationship with a man 29 years older than her. They married when she was 18, however their relationship became abusive. At 19 Dravid was later arrested and convicted of assaulting her husband. Despite the fact that the offense was relatively minor Dravid had been isolated in the UK and had no one to bail her out. She subsequently spent three years in a bail hostel and two months in prison before being deported and divorcing her husband. Dravid would subsequently refer to her time in the hostel and prison as being overall positive experiences compared to the domestic violence she had experienced during her infancy and marriage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GazChap posted:

I saw him in an ad on YouTube here in the UK the other day, so presumably he's already here...

I saw him (or someone that looks a lot like him) on an ad for Celebrations on TV. Idk he's still really irritating to me.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Haven't been given many out-takes from this series, but given that it's the finale and the live task was given extra time, not surprising that some of Ep10 was cut for time. Here's some of that:
https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1466022221462265860

When those four minutes are up, there are a few more ways to cope with the withdrawal. Obviously we've discussed a bit about the foreign versions of Taskmaster and which ones are worth your time (general consensus is TM NZ, Kongen Befaler, Stormester and Bäst i Test). The podcast is going to move on to rewatching Series 5, which is one of my favourites, so I might gush about it a bit.

But if that's all old hat, you could do a lot worse than watching the fan-made Taskmaster:Minnesota. It's made by a bunch of college-age guys, and the production is really cheap-and-cheerful. But the tasks are all original and pretty well designed, and the editing is really on point. Here's a taster showing one task in isolation, the episodes are on the same channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKRcWddQ6Qk
One other thing: as they have 6 contestants, they don't need to have a team of three! Instead they have three pairs. The pool noodle team task is a particular highlight.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 1, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The format just works so well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

They just put up 10 minutes of outtakes on their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoz61acpyNo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1466701243519148033?t=WPiiBbzM3PaymbxhXyJbLQ&s=19

:gbsmith: New Years Treat is coming back.

:smith: Claudia Winkleman probably won't get a full series because she's in it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I like Adrian Chiles a lot and he comes across as someone willing to have a laugh at his own expense, so that’s good.

Winks will be amazing obviously

Jonny Peacock is an interesting choice. The first disabled person?

Baroness Warsi? Oh boy

And who the gently caress is Lady Leshurr?

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Lady Leshurr will be good - Brummie rapper, she's good fun.

Pretty meh about the lineup apart from her tbh. Winkleman will be entertaining but expectations are low for the rest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Winkleman fills out that 'doesn't quite seem to exist the same reality as the rest of us' role every good Taskmaster series needs at least one of.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

A Tory might be the thing that puts me off a series of TM.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's just a one-off special, thankfully.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's political correctness gone mad, they have to invite everyone just to fill some quota.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've been watching quite a lot of Bad Golf recently and am surprised that John Robins hasn't made an appearance on TM yet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Paladinus posted:

It's political correctness gone mad, they have to invite everyone just to fill some quota.
"Perhaps they won't privatise us to their mates if we let one of them on."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

"Perhaps they won't privatise us to their mates if we let one of them on."

They're just testing out the merchandise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

MikeJF posted:

Winkleman fills out that 'doesn't quite seem to exist the same reality as the rest of us' role every good Taskmaster series needs at least one of.

Imagine mortimer,sally phillips,mel giedroyc,claudia winkleman and either rod or paul chowdry.

Perfect.