Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

yaffle posted:

One of my wife's cousins is married to a Korean lady who is home schooling their 4 kids, she is about 30, he's mid 60s with two kids from a previous marriage. Pretty sure it's some sort of cult arranged marriage. He believes in UFO's.

It's nice to know that when I'm a weird old man in my 60's I can just join a cult to get set up with a lady. Heck, I might just do that now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Nerdy rear end white dude in the streets, sedevacantist in the sheets.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Me? I'm only here for the mass weddings.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

McGavin posted:

Me? I'm only here for the mass weddings.
Stay for the prolonged standoff with law enforcement or you're really missing out

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I feel like Keith Raniere and David Miscavige are both super bad in bed.

Miscavige's name sounds like Elmer Fudd trying to say miscarriage.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Miscavige's name sounds like Elmer Fudd trying to say miscarriage.

lol I can't unhear this

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Poldarn posted:

It's nice to know that when I'm a weird old man in my 60's I can just join a cult to get set up with a lady. Heck, I might just do that now!

Was gonna say, this is sounding like a sweet deal already.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Poldarn posted:

It's pretty easy for even an old, fat goober to go to Korea and walk away with a +35 wife (if you know where to look), as there are a lot of women in Korea who...

-do not want to marry into a Korean family that contains a mother in law.
-waited too long to marry
-put their career first, waited too long to marry, and then hit the glass ceiling waaaay lower that they assumed.
-are not considered attractive in Korea and have not "corrected" it with surgery.
-do not want to be in Korea because they are female and it really really sucks to be a woman in Korea for some.

Putting up with an old/ugly guy that you occasionally have to have sex with is sometimes a small price to pay.

A 45 yr old assistant manager of foreigner wrangling at a school I taught at (who was very attractive, and could probably get a Korean husband in an afternoon) tried to seduce and convince my 26 year old coworker from Nova Scotia to run away with her to Italy* because she didn't want to be in Korea any more and to basically abandon her parents, who had moved in with her.

*She spoke fluent Italian and had worked for a Korean company there.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, it's hard to fault Korean women for wanting to gtfo of Korea.

Sadness all round.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Blistex posted:

It's pretty easy for even an old, fat goober to go to Korea and walk away with a +35 wife (if you know where to look), as there are a lot of women in Korea who...

-do not want to marry into a Korean family that contains a mother in law.
-waited too long to marry
-put their career first, waited too long to marry, and then hit the glass ceiling waaaay lower that they assumed.
-are not considered attractive in Korea and have not "corrected" it with surgery.
-do not want to be in Korea because they are female and it really really sucks to be a woman in Korea for some.

Putting up with an old/ugly guy that you occasionally have to have sex with is sometimes a small price to pay.

A 45 yr old assistant manager of foreigner wrangling at a school I taught at (who was very attractive, and could probably get a Korean husband in an afternoon) tried to seduce and convince my 26 year old coworker from Nova Scotia to run away with her to Italy* because she didn't want to be in Korea any more and to basically abandon her parents, who had moved in with her.

*She spoke fluent Italian and had worked for a Korean company there.

A lot of those reasons sound really similar to the situation in China.

The cliché of white dweeb becoming a lady killer out here is not that far off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Forceholy posted:

A lot of those reasons sound really similar to the situation in China.

There are similarities, but having lived in both Korea treats women waaaaay worse than China. I was blown away by the difference when I first moved. Good thing China is going backwards!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If you get rural enough in China no one gives a gently caress one way or another except for grandmas who gotta criticize everyone.

Granted, that's cuz they got way bigger things to worry about, but still.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Have to amend I only lived in Sichuan and Chinese people always told me women are way more in charge in Sichuan than other parts of China. I have no idea how true that is. But starkly more empowered than Korean women.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

As far as I can tell in China, the vast majority of marriages have the woman in charge, with a small number of "man is in charge by virtue of being a domestic abuser", and an even smaller number of "man is in charge for no apparent reason wtf".

The stereotypical married man in China (which is nowhere near universal but became a stereotype for a reason) has this weird situation where he typically don't get to be in charge of their marriage but also he isn't really judged to be fully responsible for his actions, like for example adultery.
Seems weird and infantilising to me, but apparently it works out so ???

Anyway, significantly better than anything I heard about gender relations in Korea.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

China is one of the better countries in asia to be a woman in. Korea, probably the worst.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

China is one of the better countries in asia to be a woman in. Korea, probably the worst.

Second worst after Japan, if you believe the official rankings things. Not sure how exactly they determine it, but doesn't surprise me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Atopian posted:

Yeah, it's hard to fault Korean women for wanting to gtfo of Korea.

Sadness all round.

Reminds me I read an article about a lady who got adopted from Korea to Sweden, she moved back to korea as an adult.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Forceholy posted:

I did an effort post on this before, but generally speaking, white dweebs just out of Uni who want to hook up with women do as well in Korea as they did back home.

A lot of them think that they're going to get off the plane and be inundated with Kpop girls every time they show their pasty face, but being attractive and having a good personality are universal requirements for dating in places that are not horrible to live in.

There were tons of foreigners in Korea who would constantly strike out because they were awkward and unattractive. Even a lot of attractive guys struck out because their personalities were such that they were basically girl repellent, just like back home.

Being white was basically a +25% boost to their chances, but if you're starting from zero, it's not much help.

Foreign women on the other hand had a very different time in Korea from my experiences. A lot of them were outright told by their schools to not date or be seen with men outside of the school as it was not proper. Korean guys also seem to be much more hesitant approaching foreign women than Korean women did approaching foreign guys. I'm sure Fleta could probably provide more insight into this aspect and perspective of living in Korea. . . despite having a hideous nose.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The women I've known who taught English in Korea pretty universally had good experiences salted with sexual harassment and stalking. Apparently if they were white and blonde then it was assumed that they were Russian sex workers, and fair game for any amount of abuse. To be fair, this sort of issue is pretty common for female travelers generally (also female not travelers).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Blistex posted:

I did an effort post on this before, but generally speaking, white dweebs just out of Uni who want to hook up with women do as well in Korea as they did back home.

A lot of them think that they're going to get off the plane and be inundated with Kpop girls every time they show their pasty face, but being attractive and having a good personality are universal requirements for dating in places that are not horrible to live in.

There were tons of foreigners in Korea who would constantly strike out because they were awkward and unattractive. Even a lot of attractive guys struck out because their personalities were such that they were basically girl repellent, just like back home.

Being white was basically a +25% boost to their chances, but if you're starting from zero, it's not much help.

Foreign women on the other hand had a very different time in Korea from my experiences. A lot of them were outright told by their schools to not date or be seen with men outside of the school as it was not proper. Korean guys also seem to be much more hesitant approaching foreign women than Korean women did approaching foreign guys. I'm sure Fleta could probably provide more insight into this aspect and perspective of living in Korea. . . despite having a hideous nose.

I will start by saying that I unroll my huge honker like an elegant proboscis to attract mates and trick my prey.

I was luckily married while I lived in Korea so I avoided a lot of the slut-shaming, but that meant I got the endless nagging about why I didn't have children, to the point where one of the male gym teachers would point at my stomach and tell me "bballi bballi, bballi bballi" almost every day. I can't loving have children so this was cool and great!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kaal posted:

The women I've known who taught English in Korea pretty universally had good experiences salted with sexual harassment and stalking. Apparently if they were white and blonde then it was assumed that they were Russian sex workers, and fair game for any amount of abuse.

Yep. Russian = prostitute in Korea, and if you're blonde you're assumed to be one. The stalking is slightly complicated because that's partially a cultural difference. What we would consider stalking is in Korea considered a normal and romantic thing. I stopped asking Korean friends how they met their boyfriends because every story was "well he found out where I worked and then found out where I lived and waited outside my door and followed me home every day for six months, so eventually we started going out" and it creeped me out.

For the record I think stalking is bad and am not defending that it's so common in Korea.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I only had stalkers in Japan, including a creeper in our guesthouse that stole all our bras and panties out of the laundry.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I only had stalkers in Japan, including a creeper in our guesthouse that stole all our bras and panties out of the laundry.

In my defense. . . I'm a massive creep.

Also that gym teacher :stare:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Well, how is anyone supposed to stalk you while you're poking them in the face with your enormous schnoz?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, how is anyone supposed to stalk you while you're poking them in the face with your enormous schnoz?

Now I'm picturing Fleta as the inspiration for foreigners in Korean textbook illustrations.

My wife had issues with the staff at the school we taught at stalking her, or basically trying to force her into situations where she might be comprised. There was (still is?) a perception in Korea that Chinese women are easy/should sleep with you because of the racial hierarchy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yeah that's definitely a thing. One of my friends in Korea had a stalker who crept into her room at night to steal her underwear and watch her sleep, and then jumped out the window when she woke up and yelled at him. Traumatic, to say the least. But it's a global issue, I've got friends with sex pest horror stories from every continent but Antarctica (and I'd assume that McMurdo is not free of it either).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my mother just wrote a 10 paragraph essay informing me i'm gay

am i actually gay? no, lol

this is a new level of insane korean mother i just reached, i think

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my mother just wrote a 10 paragraph essay informing me i'm gay

am i actually gay? no, lol

this is a new level of insane korean mother i just reached, i think

This post made me (more) gay.

Kaal posted:

Yeah that's definitely a thing. One of my friends in Korea had a stalker who crept into her room at night to steal her underwear and watch her sleep, and then jumped out the window when she woke up and yelled at him. Traumatic, to say the least. But it's a global issue, I've got friends with sex pest horror stories from every continent but Antarctica (and I'd assume that McMurdo is not free of it either).

Yeah, I have way more sex pest stories about the US and Spain than I do anywhere I lived in Asia. But I used to get the "Russian" thing A LOT. The first time a man used it on me, I was 18 and in a hotel elevator in Beijing, and I had no idea what he meant until years later.

E:

Grand Fromage posted:

EXACTLY.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 29, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

For some comedy, this bootlicking dumbass got banned from China media for writing something in RT that wasn't sufficiently boot-licking.

https://twitter.com/time_137/status/1465218447957106691

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

some poo poo head posted:

During a period in which the United States is actively waging a war of words against the country that has had, objectively speaking, significant success, Beijing is failing across the board in the battle for hearts and minds. Not only has it failed to establish a narrative to fight back, but it struggles to foreground the most basic talking points.

China is clearly more competent than many countries in the West in a host of areas, including how to organize a state bureaucracy, competently run an economic system, trade, and manage a pandemic. But this area is not one of them.

Having worked with the Chinese media myself and seen how it operates behind the scenes, I am honest enough to say it is rigid and therefore ineffective. It is very frustrating to see the advantage the US has over China in this sector – in particular, the inability of state media itself to confront the scale of propaganda and misinformation launched at Beijing every day. A huge overhaul is needed, with even Taiwan getting the better of it when it comes to setting the narrative – despite the fact it is clearly in a far weaker position.

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks for taking the hit to look that up. Lmao that even that isn't bootlicking enough to not get you yeeted from your position as useful idiot.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hilarious. What a dupe of a person. Maybe he can find work at the greyzone.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

It's weird that people fail to understand the rules of media for foreigners in China.

You can:
- Not post on social media
- Post but no-one cares because you're not popular
- Talk about random human interest fluff
- Be employed or otherwise formally permitted by the state
- Be outside China

That's it.

The only legitimately sad cases are people who suddenly become popular / viral without warning and then their life is ruined.
People who built a career on human interest fluff who have something bad happen to them and suddenly pivot to politics and burnout are moderately entertaining.
People like person linked who somehow think they're state employees when they're not are just utterly hilarious.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Why is China, a country clearly more competent than many countries in the West, failing across the board in the battle for hearts and minds? Am I so out of touch? No, it's the inability of state media itself to confront the scale of propaganda and misinformation launched at Beijing every day.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I didn't know Grace Park was associated with that NXIVM poo poo. I also thought she was married to Daniel Dae Kim, but she's not. Because I went and looked things up to verify, I just learned Daniel Dae Kim is the VA for Johnny Gat in all the Saint's Row games, I did not know this!

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

McGavin posted:

Why is China, a country clearly more competent than many countries in the West, failing across the board in the battle for hearts and minds? Am I so out of touch? No, it's the inability of state media itself to confront the scale of propaganda and misinformation launched at Beijing every day.

There's some truth to it, the white youtubers that the Chinese government pays to gloss over Uyghur abuses do a far better job making the country look safe and sane, compared to anything coming out of CGTN.

RT has also made far more headway in building a captive western audience, even if it is among lunatics.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

For some comedy, this bootlicking dumbass got banned from China media for writing something in RT that wasn't sufficiently boot-licking.

https://twitter.com/time_137/status/1465218447957106691

This buffoon is a CSPAM allstar, right?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

am i actually gay?
not until it passes peer review for publishing