Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

As far as anything has been said, what you see is basically all there is of the world besides ocean and Dream Zanarkand floating out in said ocean.

It would be funny if FFX-3 had more world and Spira is their Bermuda Triangle. HERE BE DRAGONS DEATH WHALE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
apparently the continent has a separate name that is not just spira, based on the fake letters on the map, so maybe there are others and we never know because the people here made the whale thing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cirus posted:

It would be funny if FFX-3 had more world and Spira is their Bermuda Triangle. HERE BE DRAGONS DEATH WHALE

It’s literally just our Bermuda Triangle and X-3 takes place in Ft. Lauderdale.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why did they have 1000 Words in the middle of a field where lightning constantly struck? Or did it get magic fixed by then? What about the weather? Was it Sin's toxins?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gologle posted:

Why did they have 1000 Words in the middle of a field where lightning constantly struck? Or did it get magic fixed by then? What about the weather? Was it Sin's toxins?

The endless storm is still going, but the lightning towers redirect all of it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

Vayne taking over the world is the same functional thing as Ashe doing whatever her poo poo is: humanity taking control of their own destiny from the Occuria. Also we don’t know who would have really won that war, and it’s not like the future they were fighting for lasted very long, what with them all getting cataclysmed back into a Catholic feudalism/medieval era.

Eh, maybe. See my essays on how Venat wasn't really "freeing humanity" from the Occuria, but was planning to just take all control for himself via manufacted nethicite that let him possess/control people.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

HD DAD posted:

It’s literally just our Bermuda Triangle and X-3 takes place in Ft. Lauderdale.

Oh drat, what a swerve. FFX-3 is also FFXIII-4 as Lightning gets wrecked in the Triangle traveling abroad her modeling career in France to fight a new incarnation of Hate Whale with Wakka and Lulu's kid and a middle-aged Brother.

"Aw poo poo, here we go again."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

jokes posted:

Vayne taking over the world is the same functional thing as Ashe doing whatever her poo poo is: humanity taking control of their own destiny from the Occuria. Also we don’t know who would have really won that war, and it’s not like the future they were fighting for lasted very long, what with them all getting cataclysmed back into a Catholic feudalism/medieval era.

It's pretty obvious who would have won the war. The Sky Fortress Bahamut was in the process of absorbing the entire power of the Sun Cryst before Reddas sacrificed himself to destroy it. If Vaan hadn't been there, Ashe would have cut a piece off, but it would have been nothing compared to the power of Bahamut, and Dalmasca gets wiped off the map completely, she dies, Basch dies, Balthier dies, everyone dies.

But let's assume I'm wrong somehow, the other outcome to the war is Ashe somehow wins, and becomes a puppet of the Occuria. Vayne/Cid/Venat failed and humanity still does not have control of their own destiny. Remember, the only reason Ashe gave up in her quest for power was Vaan and Penelo being a reminder of who she was wanting to protect, her link to the common people. It's true that Reddas tried to warn her of what would happen if she got the nethicite's power (telling her to remember what happened at Nabudis) but without Vaan and Penelo to give her a personal connection to her kingdom, she almost certainly would have kept the mindset of "I'll just be really careful using its power, and everything will be okay."

It's more Vaan than Penelo though, admittedly. Penelo, much like Fran, doesn't have much of anything to do in the story after events stop focusing on her. Vaan remains relevant and plot important throughout though.

e: Also someone else mentioned it but Vayne succeeding would have resulted in the deaths of millions of people when he wiped Dalmasca from existence, to the people who would have died it would certainly not have been "the same functional thing."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If a group of 6 dumbfucks could sneak onto the Bahamut to destroy it from the inside without any explosives or anything, and Balthier armed with a wrench could fix it, an entire army could sneak some real soldiers onto the ship to disable it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

If a group of 6 dumbfucks could sneak onto the Bahamut to destroy it from the inside without any explosives or anything, and Balthier armed with a wrench could fix it, an entire army could sneak some real soldiers onto the ship to disable it.

We've all played enough Final Fantasy games to know protagonists don't follow the normal rules. Sure, these six dumbfucks sneaked inside and beat up Vayne, but they're the main characters. Not just any dumbfuck could pull that off.

(Also I don't think Bahamut was necessarily going to be destroyed until Vayne and Venat did the whole Undying thing but I could be misremembering, it's been a while.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm not through with my XII playthrough yet and maybe someone who's played it more recently can confirm but I feel like given that the Sky Fortress Bahamut is powered by mist, that would render skystones inoperable around it, and so no, the Resistance couldn't have gotten an army on. The only reason Balthier and friends were able to fly up to it was because Reddas gave them a special stone for the Strahl that allowed it to fly in jagd (basically allowing it to ignore mist). Remember, only the Empire had those special skystones (Reddas only having one because he used to be Judge Zecht), and they were so new that most people who heard that the Empire was flying to Mt. Bur-Omisace and Raithwall's Tomb must have heard wrong or people were lying to them, because everyone knows airships can't fly in jagd.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I started playing XIII and i have to say that the Paradigm system feels great, however the entire section where you only have 2 characters per group feels so slow. The system is so much better with 3 characters.

The Sazh and Vanille parts specially.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bahamut was very slow and very close to the ground so if they would simply get a large ladder and a small squad….

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just cast Reflect and bounce the Bahamut ship's attacks back at it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

See if L5 Death would work, honestly no one even tried

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everyone tries to explain that Spira is the antipode of the FF7 World which is how Shinra did his thing. But actually I think all Final Fantasy worlds are a Matryoshka sphere with each subsequent game being a new layer and Shinra simply broke on through to the other side.

Later games fail to fill up the world because they are geometrically bigger.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm pretty sure at this point in the world's history the Rozarrian Empire has the Gran Grimoire, so they can just summon Marche and he can beat the problem.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Vayne is objectively the least evil FF antagonist, he’s no more evil than the leader of most any militarized country. I think Ardyn is pretty close since he has a pretty understandable reason to do what he’s doing. Both of them are less evil than Marche, protagonist of FFTA.

Exedeath and Cloud of Darkness can’t be judged by human morals of good and evil so they’re out of the competition.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If we're talking about villains that loop around to having the right idea if they tried to do it with less genocide, there's Orphan too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cloud of Dorkness more like

Sex death more like

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
CoD and Necron are just, like, forces of nature, so yeah they don't count. But Exdeath was supposedly just a bunch of evil assholes whose souls got jammed in a tree. I think he can be considered evil.

How evil are Jenova or Sin though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Schwartzcough posted:

CoD and Necron are just, like, forces of nature, so yeah they don't count. But Exdeath was supposedly just a bunch of evil assholes whose souls got jammed in a tree. I think he can be considered evil.

Jenova did some evil stuff to murder off the cetra.

Exdeaths origin story makes it a lot more gray. He's the product of people cramming their problems into a tree rather than the evil problem itself.

Sin (yu yevon) screams more desperation than evil.

Kefka, though, that guy's an evil clown 100%.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jenova is a John Carpenter's The Thing, amoral due to its alien mindset. Sin is a bioweapon of mass destruction with limited awareness of its own actions.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Exdeath would happily call himself evil and say that it gives him more power than you puny weaklings

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

zedprime posted:

Everyone tries to explain that Spira is the antipode of the FF7 World which is how Shinra did his thing. But actually I think all Final Fantasy worlds are a Matryoshka sphere with each subsequent game being a new layer and Shinra simply broke on through to the other side.

Later games fail to fill up the world because they are geometrically bigger.

this is going to blow your mind but it goes deeper both games also have a character named Cid!

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Sin is an interesting case because the instrument of destruction, Sin-Jecht, is sapient but controlled by a being who has lost the capacity for rational thought. Neither one has control of their actions. Stopping Yu Yevon is like putting down a rabid dog.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Exdeath is the coolest because he can become a splinter and hitch a ride with a group of nerds than reform and yell lol at you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dr Odine in FFVIII invented GFs which are causing memory loss/the weapon of mass destruction that is causing monsters to fall from the moon/the machine that's letting Ultimecia send her consciousness to the past but Laguna is just like "oh well, what can ya do"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's more Vaan than Penelo though, admittedly. Penelo, much like Fran, doesn't have much of anything to do in the story after events stop focusing on her. Vaan remains relevant and plot important throughout though.

I think Penelo is only ever referred to by name in a voiced cutscene by three people: Vaan, Larsa and Miguelo. I don't think she and Ashe ever even say two words to each other.

But that's just how it is though, Fran has the same issues where she only ever talks to Balthier and to a very small degree Vaan and maybe one or two lines to Ashe? She and Basch might as well be strangers.

Vaan, Ashe and Balthier interact the most with people, Basch kinda pops in and out of relevance (but mostly fades after Leviathan) and then Penelo and Fran get a couple hours of relevance.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Dr Odine in FFVIII invented GFs which are causing memory loss/the weapon of mass destruction that is causing monsters to fall from the moon/the machine that's letting Ultimecia send her consciousness to the past but Laguna is just like "oh well, what can ya do"

Dr. Odine only discovered the GFs, not created them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Cloud of Darkness, at least in FF14, was probably us, so maybe they aren't entirely evil there, just corrupted.

EDIT: actually I don't know if we were broken up into each of the shards or just some of them, so who knows?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Vayne is objectively the least evil FF antagonist, he’s no more evil than the leader of most any militarized country.

Eh, I don't know about that. The dude murdered two of his brothers over false charges (and the game makes it clear he knew the charges were bogus). He also murdered his own father and then framed the Senate for it, and then had them either imprisoned or executed for his own crime. Even if you want to rule out the military stuff, he's still pretty evil.

To his credit, he seems to genuinely care about the people he's supposed to be in charge of *, and he does want to free mankind from being controlled by the Occuria. On the other hand, I don't know how noble his intentions are with the second one. It's just really convenient for him that "the reins of history back in the hands of man" happens to involve him becoming the most powerful so he can rule the entire continent, gosh what a burden he has to bear, he's so selfless. If freeing mankind from the Occuria meant he had to, say, give up his plans to conquer the Rozarrian Empire and accept Dalmasca as a free and independent state, he might have gone "You know, those Occuria actually aren't so bad after all."

* Vayne seems to want to do good by the people of Rabanastre when he's consul, and even Opera Omnia shows he's genuinely worried about the people back in his world while everyone is in this other world messing around, so it's clear he doesn't consider the commonfolk to be insignificant or worthless. Still, he was absolutely willing to start a war over Dalmasca which would have taken the lives of many, many people if it had happened, so while he seems to generally wish them well and want them to be happy, he also seems to not have a problem killing them if it means he can get what he wants. So much like his desire to free mankind from the Occuria is probably not completely altruistic since it involves him becoming King of the World, I don't know if you can give him full good guy points for caring about the people either, given his willingness to sacrifice them if need be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The least evil FF final antagonist is probably Ardin who was literally Jesus but the Gods are assholes and hosed him over.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

The least evil FF final antagonist is probably Ardin who was literally Jesus but the Gods are assholes and hosed him over.

tbf he was pretty evil that's just what made him that way

reasonable people with grievances don't string corpses up like puppets, generally speaking

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The funny thing is, Noctis most likely has no idea who one of the people he strings up is, and neither should Ardyn.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cirus posted:

Spira is the fuckin El Nido of the actual FFX world.

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh drat, what a swerve. FFX-3 is also FFXIII-4 as Lightning gets wrecked in the Triangle traveling abroad her modeling career in France to fight a new incarnation of Hate Whale with Wakka and Lulu's kid and a middle-aged Brother.

"Aw poo poo, here we go again."
From what I understand about the FFX and FFXIII EUs, that would fit right in :shrug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Frionnel posted:

I started playing XIII and i have to say that the Paradigm system feels great, however the entire section where you only have 2 characters per group feels so slow. The system is so much better with 3 characters.

Yep that's the slowest part of the game. Slog through it. FF13 owns.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Game is teaching you how to SAB. A SAB hit adds a considerable amount of stagger time but a non lead SAB will spread debuffs, which you don’t want. Start in SYN / SAB and toss out some buffs while watching the enemy; as soon as a Deshell lands *immediately* switch to RAV / RAV and blow it up / stagger, then repeat on the next mob. You don’t want your SAB to start debuffing other mobs as they will not cast anything if all their known debuffs have landed already. Switch right away to prevent this.

Executed correctly this was a lot more fun than the more traditional Light / Hope party.

derra fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 30, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Certainly neither Yu Yevon (who is a personality-less Summon Machine at this point) and Jecht are evil. Seymour yes but I don't think he counts as the main villain. I think FFX is probably the only FF game where there's an "ensemble villain cast" or maybe a better way to put it is that the "villain" is more of an abstract idea or condition than any single individual.

Caius had the right idea about ho hosed everything in the universe was from the very ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 22, 2021