Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the playstation is basically the universal button order it's just that the symbols are different. PS and XBOX controllers have the primary/"confirm" button on the bottom, the Nintendo setup that they've used since the SNES (and arguably the NES) where A/confirm is on the right is mostly unique to them.

early in the Playstation circle was used as the main/confirmation button and X was used as back/no, but this was pretty much done by the PS2. It does make it confusing when you play an old "Circle is confirm" game like Metal Gear Solid, though.

It goes even further than that, the Japanese releases of many games still use circle as confirm and X as cancel, but they reverse them for western audiences. Which means that in Japan, Nintendo does it the "normal" way and it's only xbox that's a weird outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

personally i prefer the snes button layout but using "a" as jump and "x" as shoot, you know, like the default super metroid controls

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

personally i prefer the snes button layout but using "a" as jump and "x" as shoot, you know, like the default super metroid controls

remember that. that was weird, right?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i just replayed super metroid and yeah that was weird

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I got a Switch lite to play BOTW and the fact that all the buttons are the exact opposite layout as the proper xbox/ps buttons was a deal breaker. It's malicious. Like suddenly being handed an Dvorak keyboard and expected to do qtes. A to cancel? Go fuckyourself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zoux posted:

Yeah I got a Switch lite to play BOTW and the fact that all the buttons are the exact opposite layout as the proper xbox/ps buttons was a deal breaker. It's malicious. Like suddenly being handed an Dvorak keyboard and expected to do qtes. A to cancel? Go fuckyourself.

i think the button prompts won't work but you can rebind the switch controls at the system level

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the button prompts won't work but you can rebind the switch controls at the system level

Well, I was never very good at the Stroop test.

Button mapping should be nationalized and standardized. West button is attack, north button is use/special/heavy attack south is jump, east is dodge. Put it in the constitution.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 29, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

haldolium posted:

There are also mods to remedy some of these things.

Hell, I’m still playing off the Skyrim DVD from 11-11-11. Mainly because of mods (DLC & patched as available). I have a 2TB usb stick about half-full of mods, most of which I don’t even know what they are anymore.

The best is the “dragons talk like Macho Man instead of roaring,” though. First one always reinstalled.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zotix posted:

What are some top RPGs on steam? Probably JRPGs. I know a few decent ones have come out the past year but Im out of the loop.

I've been busy playing MMOs though and I have the next week off so I'd like to just chill and play something good and relaxing.

Hylics 2 is gorgeous and extremely chill with great music. Hylics 1 is also very good but only a couple hours long.
Omori is a really good game but it gets spooky at times.
Bug Fables is a great spiritual sequel to the Paper Mario games, if you were into those.
If you want something a little more freeform, the spiderweb software games are fantastic and they've been making games forever so there's a ton of them.
If you're up for a little more action, Lightning Returns is a genuinely great game and way better than 13 or 13-2 (and does not require you to have played those games or know what happens in them).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't played the second one yet but hylics is extremely good and hylics 2 seems like a bump up in production value in every way and that's from cowcaster: the jrpg hater, so it's probably pretty good

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Tenzarin posted:

X-com 2 or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Explosives and Psychics

No really, if your having problems with x-com 2, more explosives and more psychics. Rush psychic room, stick one-two superman/woman to be in there. Continue the game get explosives and by the time everyone dies down from the heavens come your max leveled psychics that the computer has no chance against.

Agreed.

I didn't find psychics significantly better than other options, but grenadiers were my most used unit. You can run 2 or even 3 grenadiers in any given squad, and then just pair with some sort of camo-scout (both a reaper or ranger will do fine) to uncover pods.

Then rain down grenades. The enemy should never have cover because you naded them (and their cover). And if your guys can't hit, well, nades don't worry about hit percentage. (Also, holo-targeting and suppression if you need it.) Nades do aoe damage, can shred armor, and can secure kills or soften up enemies as needed.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I've never reinstalled it since I played a bit at launch but looking at the Steam page, it doesn't look like they've touched it at all except for some minor bugfix patches. Bummer too, cos it had potential :shrug:

Biomutant was on my radar before I even had a Steam account, but I still haven’t bought it yet. It looks like combat is fun in gameplay videos, but I plan on getting it on a really deep sale day. The best description I remember a friend who beat it say was,”It feels like the first game of what could turn out to be a great franchise over time.” He turned me onto Elex, btw, and talked me into sticking with it through the early game where a housecat could fart and kill you. It’s fun after you get up in power just a bit, and I’m really looking forward to Elex2 on my wishlist now!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I didn't like it, also who the hell made doom 2016 and decided it needed more lore

I played Doom as a current title and the only lore I needed was the max armor cheat code!

I never played any others but I figured if you got deep into Doom you ended up with the movie version and The Rock. Not his best role. I’m pathetic at FPS because of my psych med effects, and I hate it because I was really good at the Quake and Unreal multiplayer stuff, but the last FPS stuff I was 100% competent at was Jedi Knight II/Academy era arenas. Mainly because melee is easier than precise aiming these days for me. Plus I’m stuck at 1080p/60 because of eyes->bad, so getting repeatedly shot in the head by a 12y/o from a screen away isn’t as much fun as it sounds…

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zoux posted:

north button is use

:chloe:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

repiv posted:

And you should never chargeback a digital storefront if you care about your account, because they will ban you

I've done a charge back on steam. My account is still kicking just fine.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

zoux posted:

Well, I was never very good at the Stroop test.

Button mapping should be nationalized and standardized. West button is attack, north button is use/special/heavy attack south is jump, east is dodge. Put it in the constitution.

Even more than that, south button is confirm and menus, east button is cancel/go back, and west button is options if necessary.

The Switch changing those around is probably the worst part. I changed it on an emulator but then the game itself feels weird because it's made for that setup and the prompts don't match

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Zotix posted:

What are some top RPGs on steam? Probably JRPGs. I know a few decent ones have come out the past year but Im out of the loop.

I've been busy playing MMOs though and I have the next week off so I'd like to just chill and play something good and relaxing.

nostalgia goggles: Collection of SaGa Final Fantasy

new (to me) hotness: Tales of Berseria

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

repiv posted:

And you should never chargeback a digital storefront if you care about your account, because they will ban you
I managed to chargeback Origin without getting my account banned, but that's possibly just because they hosed up my order for Battlefield so hard that it was in the wrong country.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Death Stranding question - what's the broad percentage of the game that is occupied by traveling, by combat, and by Kojima bullshit?

If I think the traversal mechanics are neat and the game is beautiful, but seriously hate Kojima's pretentious, borderline insane and needless hyper focus on pointless minutia for hours on end in cutscenes bullshit storytelling, will I like this game?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 30, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreatGreen posted:

Death Stranding question - what's the broad percentage of the game that is occupied by traveling, by combat, and by Kojima bullshit?

If I think the traversal mechanics are neat and the game is beautiful, but seriously hate Kojima's pretentious, borderline insane and needless hyper focus on pointless minutia for hours on end in cutscenes bullshit storytelling, will I like this game?

There's a LOT of cutscene at the beginning and a lot at the end but in the middle you're all right. I love his nonsense but I get why people don't.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GreatGreen posted:

No.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GreatGreen posted:

going by how you phrased that second paragraph i'm gonna agree with exquisite tea

you would probably die of a stroke when you got to the "lab" like 2/3 in*, and if not that the endgame would definitely do it

numbers-wise? total WAG here but i'd say the game is 60% rad UPS sim, 10% mildly interesting combat (cargo-kata is fun, and very satisfying), and the remaining 30% watching kojima disappearing up his own rear end

* i loved it - but mostly because i admire the sheer audacity, so

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 30, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Katreus posted:

Agreed.

I didn't find psychics significantly better than other options, but grenadiers were my most used unit. You can run 2 or even 3 grenadiers in any given squad, and then just pair with some sort of camo-scout (both a reaper or ranger will do fine) to uncover pods.

Then rain down grenades. The enemy should never have cover because you naded them (and their cover). And if your guys can't hit, well, nades don't worry about hit percentage. (Also, holo-targeting and suppression if you need it.) Nades do aoe damage, can shred armor, and can secure kills or soften up enemies as needed.

Psychics mind control the first unit they see and then you have a meat shield that can stand out of cover. You turn any numbers fight in your favor with mind control. Not to mention they have other really good abilities and a good rifle. Plus everyone in exoskeletons get a super explosive weapon. Then you get a bunch of blaster launchers and shredstorm canons, you destroy all buildings at this point..

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Psychics mind control the first unit they see and then you have a meat shield that can stand out of cover. You turn any numbers fight in your favor with mind control. Not to mention they have other really good abilities and a good rifle. Plus everyone in exoskeletons get a super explosive weapon. Then you get a bunch of blaster launchers and shredstorm canons, you destroy all buildings at this point..
So what you're saying is 'embrace the terrorist moniker'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

in my 100 hours with the game it was about 85% traveling, 5% combat, 10% kojima bullshit

that may sound like a lot of kojima bullshit but if you do some optional stuff then there's so much hiking in between that I didn't find it oppressive at all other than the ending, which was just entirely too much.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks for the Death Stranding advice everybody! I think I might sit it out for now.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

GreatGreen posted:

My personal playtime was around 85-90% game time to cutscenes but the Kojima never stops and the ending is pure distilled Kojima so I'm going to agree with everyone else it doesn't sound like the game for you.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 30, 2021

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I will point out that you can skip the cutscenes entirely if you wish to minimize your exposure to Kojima bullshit. I've gotten around to doing that in more games.

A shame that I have to resort to this: video game stories are usually at such a high caliber.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Death Stranding's story is good, actually.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sam,

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is Die-Hardman.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Death Stranding's story is good, actually.

I enjoyed the story but also kojima has never been more of a loving idiot

it can be both!

Xanderkish posted:

I will point out that you can skip the cutscenes entirely if you wish to minimize your exposure to Kojima bullshit. I've gotten around to doing that in more games.

A shame that I have to resort to this: video game stories are usually at such a high caliber.

*laughs at u from the first credit roll*

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Sam, this is Bad Postman. While you've been travelling around America connecting everyone to the Chiral Network, I've been making bad posts on message boards. Also did you know Sam? That the word Postman used to mean a kind of Porter like yourself? Sometimes I accept delivery orders and then just keep the packages for myself. I don't have MULE Syndrome, I'm just a Bad Postman.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

folks were talking about divinity: original sin 2 earlier. i have that, but never got close to even considering leaving Fort Joy either - whole lot of choice paralysis from all the options presenting themselves almost immediately, not even counting chargen

been long enough that i've mostly forgotten what the game even looks like, so seems as good a time as any to give it another go

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
What's the opinion on Tales of Arise? Where's it rank to the other Tales of games?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

folks were talking about divinity: original sin 2 earlier. i have that, but never got close to even considering leaving Fort Joy either - whole lot of choice paralysis from all the options presenting themselves almost immediately, not even counting chargen

been long enough that i've mostly forgotten what the game even looks like, so seems as good a time as any to give it another go

This is me too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Haha you think you've got choice paralysis

*stares at steam library full of unplayed games, opens none of them*

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Synthbuttrange posted:

Haha you think you've got choice paralysis

*stares at steam library full of unplayed games, opens none of them*

that could be a good thread, post a screenshot of your library and goons tell you which one to play next, maybe :toxx: to play at least two hours.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There was one, or something close to that concept. Dunno what happened to it, I stopped following it because that poo poo doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Murdoch posted:

There was one, or something close to that concept. Dunno what happened to it, I stopped following it because that poo poo doesn't work for me.

yeah i was thinking that too, i couldn't find it