Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Centrist Committee posted:

the packaging of these things makes me angry and sad

I'm beginning to get an idea of how Americans use up so much more goddamn energy and produce so much more goddamn waste than normal human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
wait till you see plastic consumption in asia - the wrapping that goes into japanese consumer products will shock you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my schools only had the bottom of the barrel public school food. in highschool we had the choice of whatever the day's main item was, a baked potato / salad bar, or a hotdog/hamburger that was swimming in some sort of brownish green water. there were also a whopping 2 snack vending machines, which i usually bought my lunch from.

this random pic is pretty close to what i remember getting for my entire childhood

except getting a pretzel + mustard packet would be absurd, we never got individual condiments. we got half a handful of mini pretzels. there were bulk ketchup and mustard pump bottles where you got the hot dogs. we couldn't leave for lunch either. i tried to find some other pics but essentially every pic of a school lunch online looks better than what I remember eating. i'd talk to kids from other districts that had actual things to choose and the ability to leave school and go to a deli or something and i was literally locked in eating prison food. surprised i never got nutri-loaf

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We had that in highschool, though you could also pay more for premium meals instead, to ensure you're sufficiently differentiated from the poor kids as god intended

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Eating from plastic is straight barbarism.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I'm beginning to get an idea of how Americans use up so much more goddamn energy and produce so much more goddamn waste than normal human beings.

If we didn't make that oil into single-use disposable plastic garbage it would just get turned into fuel and burned, at least this way there's a decent chance it'll wind up in a landfill sequestering that carbon for the eternity it takes plastic to degrade.

You're welcome.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also the ocean is pretty much just a real big real wet landfill when you think about it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shame Boy posted:

We had that in highschool, though you could also pay more for premium meals instead, to ensure you're sufficiently differentiated from the poor kids as god intended

Since becoming an adult, I've become horrified at the idea of charging kids for meals at school. But, then, that wouldn't drive home the idea that the poor kids should be grateful for whatever scraps they're given.

My school lunches were never as bad as the one in the picture, but they weren't fantastic, either. If we lived in a non-hellscape, schools would have the budget and direction to cook up good, actually nutritious (not "ketchup is a vegetable" nutritious) meals that would be free. Then again, in a non-COVID world, I'd love to see public cafeterias funded and operated under the same premise, except open to everybody.

Edit: I mean, you could still do it in a COVID world, but they'd need to be take-out only.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grades 3-6 we got these greenish-grayish breaded fish fingers that were very bouncy, and I loved them. Then when my mum heard I liked fish fingers, she bought some from the store and they were the horrible orange ones with the white fish bits kind of loose inside. I've never found the good fish fingers anywhere and no other caff has served them since :(

That was my school food story thanks for listening.

e: The bounciness isn't why I loved them, it was just a characteristic they had that I've not found present in any other fish fingers.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

PokeJoe posted:

my schools only had the bottom of the barrel public school food. in highschool we had the choice of whatever the day's main item was, a baked potato / salad bar, or a hotdog/hamburger that was swimming in some sort of brownish green water. there were also a whopping 2 snack vending machines, which i usually bought my lunch from.

this random pic is pretty close to what i remember getting for my entire childhood

except getting a pretzel + mustard packet would be absurd, we never got individual condiments. we got half a handful of mini pretzels. there were bulk ketchup and mustard pump bottles where you got the hot dogs. we couldn't leave for lunch either. i tried to find some other pics but essentially every pic of a school lunch online looks better than what I remember eating. i'd talk to kids from other districts that had actual things to choose and the ability to leave school and go to a deli or something and i was literally locked in eating prison food. surprised i never got nutri-loaf

That looks like jail food. Probly just a coincidence tho.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Edmund Sparkler posted:

in asia, food vendors have driven out of business in short order for much more

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the worst part about school lunches was not having any lunch money so you got a lovely peanut butter sandwich and couldn't get chocolate milk :(

like gee sorry I didn't make my parents go bankrupt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Edmund Sparkler posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramark

quote:

Aramark Corporation, known commonly as Aramark, is an American food service, facilities[disambiguation needed], and uniform services provider to clients in areas including education, healthcare, business, prisons, and leisure. It operates in North America (United States and Canada) and an additional 20 countries, including United Kingdom, Germany, Philippines, South Korea, Chile, Ireland, and Spain.

more:

https://www.nycfoodpolicy.org/prison-labor-is-remarkably-common-within-the-food-system/

quote:

Aramark

One of the country’s largest food service companies, Aramark has been subjected to repeated criticism for both its use of prison labor and the poor quality of the prison food it provides. The company controls dining services in almost 40 percent of all US prisons and is known to use prison labor to prepare and package much of the food it provides. In 2019 prisoners in Santa Rita Jail in Alameda County, California, sued the county for being “coerced to work for Aramark without pay,” but the suit is still pending as of the time of this publication.

Aramark also has numerous contracts with dining services at universities across the country, but their use of prison labor has left many students skeptical. Florida State University announced that they would contract Aramark to provide dining services in 2020, a decision that was met with widespread student disapproval. Some students at the University of Florida began a monetary boycott of Aramark, avoiding making purchases at on-campus dining facilities, after the school extended their contract for an extra year.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my high school didn’t have cafeteria food, we had six microwaves and two vending machines with, like, ramen and small hamburgers in them. it sucked

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The approaching holidays have reminded me of one of my least favorite memories: my partner had fond memories of spending Christmas with their family and having Christmas-themed book read to them on Christmas Eve. They contacted the family member a few years ago to ask if they still had those magical books from the 80's, filled with love and warmth. Their family member told them that yes, they had them, and that they could buy them from them. So my partner came home with a small collection of well-worn books that they loved as a child and paid MSRP for as an adult because their family member saw a way to make money.

The books don't come out. I think that the experience ruined some of the magic.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

petit choux posted:

This tweet doesn't matter. None of this matters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Grades 3-6 we got these greenish-grayish breaded fish fingers that were very bouncy, and I loved them. Then when my mum heard I liked fish fingers, she bought some from the store and they were the horrible orange ones with the white fish bits kind of loose inside. I've never found the good fish fingers anywhere and no other caff has served them since :(

That was my school food story thanks for listening.

e: The bounciness isn't why I loved them, it was just a characteristic they had that I've not found present in any other fish fingers.
You want fish nuggets. Fish fingers tend to have whole fish bits in them, fish nuggets will contain the reconstituted fish slurry you crave.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The school lunch issue comes back to a center theme of right wing politics which is that they think it is the parent's responsibility.

They don't think we should provide for school lunches via taxes because they think feeding kids is the parent's responsibility. And they don't think parents will be motivated to pull their weight if we make it too convenient for them.

This 'parental responsibility' argument allows for a tremendous amount of victim blaming. And it cuts both ways, because when it comes to problems with their own schools they think people are 'indoctrinating' their children. I wonder what % of homeschooling parents are like this.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

tokin opposition posted:

the worst part about school lunches was not having any lunch money so you got a lovely peanut butter sandwich and couldn't get chocolate milk :(

like gee sorry I didn't make my parents go bankrupt

tbf you probably didn’t help

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edmund Sparkler posted:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

The way Americans handle Christmas is ungodly.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

petit choux posted:

The way Americans handle Christmas is ungodly.

Literally, America Christmas is against God.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

can't talk about lunchables in the capitalism thread without mentioning the lines of bigger and even unhealthier ones for "older kids"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

why would you post a picture of dwayne "the rock" johnson

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdolescentParallelBeaver-mobile.mp4

ArmedZombie has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Nov 30, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
lunchables are gross my mom just made me cheese and ketchup sandwiches for lunch in elementary school

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

tmfc posted:

can't talk about lunchables in the capitalism thread without mentioning the lines of bigger and even unhealthier ones for "older kids"

MAXED out DOUBLE-STACKED TACOS
100% WHITE MEAT

* ~Sensible Solution~

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Chairman posted:

there is nothing wrong with eating New Jersey

lifelong North Carolinian here to say that this delicacy redeems the entire state
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfWuUVgFSQ

Shame Boy posted:

I have eaten rear end while in New Jersey

but enough about Victory Pig pizza

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

when I was a kid in England, before moving to America, our lunches were proper plates of food prepared by a nice group of ladies and after we ate our lunch they’d give us desert which was full on, like a big bowl of sponge cake covered in hot custard

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

i am harry posted:

when I was a kid in England, before moving to America, our lunches were proper plates of food prepared by a nice group of ladies and after we ate our lunch they’d give us desert which was full on, like a big bowl of sponge cake covered in hot custard

yeah but have you considered eating gruel from a silver pouch

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i am harry posted:

hosed up

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/michelletandler/status/1465393612577853440?s=21

oh no

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/michelletandler/status/1465395141913432065

lmao

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PokeJoe posted:

this is literally why pizza lunchables were a luxury

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lastgirl posted:

this is literally why pizza lunchables were a luxury

As poo poo as this lunch is, it still looks more edible and filling than whatever the gently caress those lunchable things are

Also "lunchable" sounds like one of those fake but official sounding terms like "nutrimins" that keep products from having to do the things they claim - "well, we never claimed we were selling a meal per se, any supposed allusion to the word 'lunch' on the part of our range of partially reconstituted cardboard products is entirely fabricated by the customer"

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Nov 30, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
pizza lunchables and dunkaroos, the cadillac of school lunch food

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tell me you’ve never lived anywhere with weather without telling me you’ve never lived anywhere with weather.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jazerus posted:

hosed up

it was about thirty years ago so all I can remember is a big plate of fish sticks, peas and corn, and maybe mashed potatoes, and sometimes we got bangers and mash! and the bowls of dessert you could only have if you ate up all your lunch.
I’d wager that the eating experiences of many children in countries that weren’t full blown capital hellscapes, where a person is worth something, anything, were a lot better than what we all got for school lunch here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's going on there?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

am i supposed to care about luxury retail stores being boarded up??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they’re freaking out over seeing stores with boarded up windows because they’ve never seen it before I guess