Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, that is loving absurd how expensive that is. I looked into mobile solutions for campers and such and you're better off just using a portable hotspot and getting a prepaid plan, or just going with Starlink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wargames posted:

marine/mobile sat stuff is obscene

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/satellite-internet-at-sea-hardware-airtime-and-pricing/

Hardware cost: Around $6,000 for a Sailor 150, around $11,000 for a Sailor 250, and around $16,000 for a Sailor 500.
Airtime cost: While prepaid options are available, be sure to read the fine print. We recommend a postpaid plan. These start at $106 a month (includes 5 MB of data).
Estimated low-usage cost: Around $100 a month will cover you for email, downloading weather GRIB files, and doing emergency web-browsing.
Estimated high-usage cost: FleetBroadband postpaid options for high usage jump from 200 MB per month to 2 GB (with nothing in-between). 200 MB per month will cost you around $1,000 and 2 GB per month will cost you around $2,000.
Coverage: Excellent coverage up to 70 degrees latitude. For worldwide coverage, consider adding an Iridium Pilot as backup.

https://www.satphonestore.com/airtime/iridium-go-airtime-rates.html

5 minutes a month?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

This is all good to know, thanks. It's funny to think it could actually be exactly what my parents (who do live in the sticks and who were on 28.8 until just a few years ago, and still don't have cable) need.

Not at all the pervasive game-changer of all technology that the crazy uncle apparently read that it is though.

Yeah it's fine for that and that's the intended use case, fixing issues caused by physics. It's not going to rescue the urban resident for who the only reason why their internet is terrible is due to politics because there's a limited amount of bandwidth available in each beam.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Just be aware that the hardware is substandard, not designed for sustained heat (like…something exposed to the sun all day err day would be?), and if you can even get an installer, they’ll probably be less capable than you are.

The overall infrastructure is neat, but it’s being run on thin margins. If you’re already rural, you’re probably used to that, tho.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Just be aware that the hardware is substandard, not designed for sustained heat (like…something exposed to the sun all day err day would be?), and if you can even get an installer, they’ll probably be less capable than you are.

The overall infrastructure is neat, but it’s being run on thin margins. If you’re already rural, you’re probably used to that, tho.

Our first 4G home internet was installed by a guy who attached the antenna/modem to our outside wall by drilling a screw directly through the motherboard. It read a good signal so he left, but our speeds topped out at about 256Kbit (advertised 10 Mbit). After a few days or a week we finally got a tech to come out and he let us know the problem, replaced the hardware and quipped that the first tech could probably improve his brain power by attaching his hat with a screw.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I am not a small dude but I am always disappointed by how little weight network racked equipment can hold

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
When my dad retired they moved to a new phone/internet/cable provider and had my dad's office phone put on the main line. But only some phones would ring for incoming calls, some weren't able to initiate outgoing calls but could join in on pre existing ones, etc. They called me over to see if I could figure out what was wrong and whoever connected the dsl line just took a hatchet to the punch down board wherever there was a wire in his way.

I called them up and was like "I don't know telephony but I'm pretty sure if you send a tech out he'll agree that wires only work when they're connected."

I think the first guy left such a mess he had to just cut off everything and start over.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I am not a small dude but I am always disappointed by how little weight network racked equipment can hold

Your rack is not a ladder

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

Lies.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The Fool posted:

What is it then, huh? I guess next you'll tell me rack mounted servers aren't there to hold my coffee :rolleyes:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

Maybe your rack isn't :smug:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Bob Morales posted:

5 minutes a month?

https://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/gear/the-best-boat-wi-fi-everything-you-need-to-know-about-staying-connected-onboard/

that is correct then you got to back for extra MB yes MB, marine/offshore sat stuff is 100% bs but if starlink/oneweb/sugar daddy bezos can get their sat internet working for offshore/remote boat stuff almost every cruiser will have one. Also screw elon musk and bezos in general.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

People die doing this. Yeah, don't climb on your rack.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

People die doing this. Yeah, don't climb on your rack.

We have 3 network racks (not cabinets, just 2 post racks) in a corner of a room, about 2 feet from the wall on on side, and 1" from the wall on the other side.

Firewalls are of course all the way in the corner. So to unplug them I need to shimmy between the wall and rack, stepping one foot on this 4" PVC pipe (conduit) that comes in, and use my other foot to step on the UPS's that are in the bottom of the first rack so I can reach.

I'd move the rack away from the wall if had more cable slack. Instead I plan on installing a new pair of UPS units so that I can

1. Connect the redundant power supplies to a different circuit
2. Get a generator outlet(s) installed in that room

Then I'll be able to at least label some power cables and then unplug poo poo from the UPS instead of trying to get back in that stupid rack

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

quote:

Just an FYI- networking <person> will be using this same maintenance window to perform public IP changes for <client>

Why the gently caress thinks its a good idea to change a servers IP in in the middle of doing application upgrades on said server?!?!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who doesn't want to have to troubleshoot two changes at once??

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Fool posted:

Yeah, that's what ladder rack is for. :haw:

Thanks Ants posted:

Who doesn't want to have to troubleshoot two changes at once??

Oh, no, you'll have lots more than two problems to troubleshoot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

larchesdanrew posted:

What is it then, huh? I guess next you'll tell me rack mounted servers aren't there to hold my coffee :rolleyes:

Well, that's just silly. They're for keeping pizza warm.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well, that's just silly. They're for keeping pizza warm.

That’s what the space between the 1u’s is for

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The rack is where I install all my pizza boxes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I like monitor pizza

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

current ticket from the boss is make sure people can't turn off the company information display in the break room

We have two identical flat screens on the wall. One is hooked up to an antenna so people watch dr phil and price is right on it. Right next to it is a screen that shows weather, random company information etc

Employees turn that one off. Same remote for each TV

NOTHING I CAN DO HERE MAN

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

current ticket from the boss is make sure people can't turn off the company information display in the break room

We have two identical flat screens on the wall. One is hooked up to an antenna so people watch dr phil and price is right on it. Right next to it is a screen that shows weather, random company information etc

Employees turn that one off. Same remote for each TV

NOTHING I CAN DO HERE MAN

Are the remotes used no longer ir blaster types? If they are, what's keeping you from just covering the ir sensor on the info screen?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

taiyoko posted:

Are the remotes used no longer ir blaster types? If they are, what's keeping you from just covering the ir sensor on the info screen?

That's what we are going to do. And then they will just unplug the fucker.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of TVs have a semi-hidden hotel mode they can be put into, which lets you disable the IR sensor and use RS232 control through an adapter cable. Though the best solution is to buy digital signage displays in the first place, rather than TVs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Lots of TVs have a semi-hidden hotel mode they can be put into, which lets you disable the IR sensor and use RS232 control through an adapter cable. Though the best solution is to buy digital signage displays in the first place, rather than TVs.

you can't argue with black friday prices man

someone already hit one with a fist? fork truck? idk what at the front of the plant

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I just got a ticket for an MFA issue from one of our overseas branches from the UK.

"When trying to log in I am being asked to push the £ key but I do not have one on my phone keypad"

I didn't know how much I needed the genuine belly laughter this gave me until now.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
#lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vegastar posted:

I just got a ticket for an MFA issue from one of our overseas branches from the UK.

"When trying to log in I am being asked to push the £ key but I do not have one on my phone keypad"

I didn't know how much I needed the genuine belly laughter this gave me until now.
This seems like a call solved only by "look I know yanks are stupid, just do what I say".

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Arquinsiel posted:

This seems like a call solved only by "look I know yanks are stupid, just do what I say".

They probably call it an octothorpe over there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, it's just the hash sign in daily use anywhere I've encountered it outside the USA.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can see how calling it pound would confuse people, it’s pretty universally known as the hash symbol here

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I can see how calling it pound would confuse people, it’s pretty universally known as the hash symbol here

I actually wonder, now that hashtag is universally used among the youf, whether "pound" is even used much in the US anymore by those under a certain age. I actually don't think of it as pound first, and I don't tweet or use any other app where hashtags are commonly used - just the ubiquity of "hashtag" has rubbed off to where I think of it as the hash symbol. Pretty sure the last time a phone menu said "press pound" I stared at my phone for a second going "er what oh right".

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm 37 and it's still easily interchangeable for me depending on context. I mostly associate "pound" with phone stuff and "hash" with internet stuff.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

And like, I’m not trying to say he’s an idiot. Naturally I have zero control over the automated message for Azure MFA. Not the users fault, but a comical misunderstanding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh it’s definitely funny.

Though the answer is not to use phone call MFA.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh it’s definitely funny.

Though the answer is not to use phone call MFA.

You’re correct, but our security guys disabled SMS Auth (not unreasonably) so the only options are auth app or phone call. No surprise what the less tech friendly among them go for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vegastar posted:

You’re correct, but our security guys disabled SMS Auth (not unreasonably) so the only options are auth app or phone call. No surprise what the less tech friendly among them go for.

I now windows hello and fido2 for most everything. Let’s just say life is pretty great right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vegastar posted:

For a certain type of user the phonecall limits how quickly they can get impatient and allow an attacker to gain access to their account by just mashing "allow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sent out a mail this morning that the ERP upgrade of this weekend was concluded succesfully and in case of any issue to contact support. Had a reply to my email almost immediatly from a user to tell outlook wouldn't open.