Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Exdeath talking reminds me of that Kids in the Hall sketch where one of them would tell a short anecdote about being kind of a jerk and then chortle over how deliciously evil he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Exdeath really loves being evil, maybe it’s not the most nuanced writing compared to some of the higher end FF antagonists but chewing scenery and being obviously evil is really an underrated villain niche.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lastdancer posted:

So I'm playing The First Soldier and during a match I get a Mog's Bell. Sweet! That item gives you access to a shop post-match where you can buy some special stuff. I take a look and holy crap it's Reno for 3000 gil! That's almost all my gil! Hell yeah I'll take a Reno skin for 3000 Gil!

It was a Reno profile pic :negative:

lmao owned

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lastdancer posted:

So I'm playing The First Soldier and during a match I get a Mog's Bell. Sweet! That item gives you access to a shop post-match where you can buy some special stuff. I take a look and holy crap it's Reno for 3000 gil! That's almost all my gil! Hell yeah I'll take a Reno skin for 3000 Gil!

It was a Reno profile pic :negative:

Congratulations on buying your first NFT (Non-Fungible Turk).

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Last Celebration posted:

Exdeath really loves being evil, maybe it’s not the most nuanced writing compared to some of the higher end FF antagonists but chewing scenery and being obviously evil is really an underrated villain niche.

Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in Die Hard is a GOAT villain, but sometimes if I'm a little drunk I prefer Powers Boothe in the van damme knockoff, Sudden Death. There's no "maybe-this-is-justified-in-a-round-about-way" terrorism ruse, no 4th dimensional chess, no hinted backstory indicative of a potentially complex character, and his character's name isn't even revealed until you see it in the end credits. Dude just wants a billion dollars, doesn't blink at killing children/women/the elderly, and openly bloviates about being evil while chewing the scenery like it was built entirely out of Bazooka Joe. The only reason he's not twirling his mustache is because they made him shave it after leaving the set of Tombstone

Exdeath is Powers Boothe

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes you want nuance and complexity, and sometime you want a tree filled with so many evil souls that it starts cackling maniacally.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
FFXII could’ve really benefitted from party banter like in DAI or similar. Have the characters yack about whatever area they’re in to fill in the Deep Lore, talk about their favorite foods, something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If any game needed chrono trigger style combo techs it was FF12

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXII has this pattern where, whenever you're doing one of those long journeys to the next destination, there are about two or three scenes along the way of characters talking about something. During those, you often see the characters not directly involved in the scene (almost always Vaan and Penelo among them) having background conversations that you can just barely hear. At least one of those shows Basch and Fran hanging out, even.

Anyway I wish we could hear what they were talking about, or just got a couple more scenes during long journeys of the characters just talking about stuff as they travel. There are little flashes of interpersonal relationship stuff we get to see along the way (some of them pretty funny) that I wish we got to actually see play out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tbh Exdeath's backstory could have easily lent itself to a sympathetic view (I was happy being a freakin tree til you assholes pumped me full of evil souls), but I am glad they just went the Skeletor, cackling evil loony route

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF5 is the “funnest” story in my opinion.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFV is the breeziest, chill game in the series. Just a dude and his gal pals (and Galuf) learning increasingly ludicrous ways of killing things while they try and take down a Power Rangers villain. It’s fantastic.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HD DAD posted:

FFV is the breeziest, chill game in the series. Just a dude and his gal pals (and Galuf) learning increasingly ludicrous ways of killing things while they try and take down a Power Rangers villain. It’s fantastic.

Interesting how this also sorta describes FF8, it even has Rita Repulsa as the main villain!

Poor Squall, a FF7 character trapped in FF5

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there missable blue magics in FFV, or are they all still available at endgame if you're willing to go track them down?

Also, is there a point at which it's like, "okay, now is a good time to start using a Blue Mage" or anything? I'm guessing there's not much blue magic available right when you unlock it but I'm wondering if I should just have one in my party most of the time just to learn stuff or if I should wait until I unlock something else to start digging into blue magic.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ManSedan posted:

FFXII could’ve really benefitted from party banter like in DAI or similar. Have the characters yack about whatever area they’re in to fill in the Deep Lore, talk about their favorite foods, something.

To heck with DAI, DA2 combat dialogue would have been good. Every single thing your characters do in combat in DA2 has dialogue and there is unique dialogue for characters reacting to stuff happening to other party members. Banter would have been great too but FFXII is actually a lot like DAI in how dreadfully silent everyone is while you're fighting. The party barely interacts in cutscenes and interacts not at all in gameplay.

This is in such sharp contrast to both X and XIII. In X, there is so much friggin' dialogue dependent on story progress and party composition. A favorite example of mine is Wakka in Kilika will call Tidus a "newbie" during a cutscene and if you switch Tidus in while Wakka is in the party while going though Kilika Woods, Tidus will say "Newbie here!" to which a chagrinned Wakka responds with "...sorry." That's just one of countless examples.

And in XIII, Snow and Hope, Lightning and Hope, and Sazh and Vanille all have special dialogue for each other if they are in the current party. They have special dialogue for bosses during stuff like Paradigm Shifts too, like different things they wills shout to Bart.

In FFXII, you're just meandering about, a soulless group of nobodies, saying nothing, showing no signs of personality or life.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 30, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harrow posted:

Are there missable blue magics in FFV, or are they all still available at endgame if you're willing to go track them down?

Also, is there a point at which it's like, "okay, now is a good time to start using a Blue Mage" or anything? I'm guessing there's not much blue magic available right when you unlock it but I'm wondering if I should just have one in my party most of the time just to learn stuff or if I should wait until I unlock something else to start digging into blue magic.
You can get aero in the dungeon you get the job and start doing decent magic damage, and aera not long after. They also get swords at a point Str scaling hasn't kicked in so they can whack things for decent damage too. Blue mage is a great starting class and a forever class if you want it to be, just add some stat boosting abilities like barehanded or two hand for Str stat to put your swords to use, or black magic or summon for raw magic stat to make scaling calculation blue better, or white magic or time magic for utility.

If you're blue magic curious you at least want to spend the time to learn Blue Magic on any spell caster to slot it into a summoner or white mage or something later on.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Late-game, Blue Mage with dual-wield holding Rune Axe and Enhancer was a really excellent all-around character. With White Wind you've got a healer too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It has been my tradition for like 22 years to make Lenna a Blue Ninja Wizard and goddammit she’s still kicking rear end in the PR.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blue Mage is absolutely a standout in FF5. It really has no downsides. Knight is cool and good but Knight doesn’t get a self heal and multi target abilities and random utilities and a delete button and goblin punch (which does full damage from the back row). Also goblin punch is free.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually Blue mage does have a major problem: it only has 4 job levels and its abilities are poo poo, so while it’s (imo) the best job for most of the game, freelancer is definitely the best one at the end zero qualifications. But freelancer is only really good if you’ve been leveling other jobs, so it’s kind of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don’t scenario

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 30, 2021

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
There won't be any Blue Magic spells you can permanently miss *glares at Strago*, so don't feel pressured to use Blue Mages right out of the gate. As has been said, they are really good and fun though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The biggest one that sucks to not have ASAP is L5 Death because it enables a number of stupid easy AP grinds if you want to do some cool poo poo. Also White Wind, because it’s really powerful.

They should have made Scan a blue magic spell and not an ability.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
What does Scan even do? It’s just a basic stat check that’s glitched to be half assed in some versions of FF5, right?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

Interesting how this also sorta describes FF8, it even has Rita Repulsa as the main villain!

I'm playing through FF8 right now and it's kinda funny how tolerant I am of its bullshit compared to my recent FF13 playthrough. "Oh poo poo, like three guys broke out of jail. Initiate escapee protocol: unlock all holding cells and flood the prison with monsters :killing:"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Last Celebration posted:

What does Scan even do? It’s just a basic stat check that’s glitched to be half assed in some versions of FF5, right?

Libra is better, yeah. It’s a very useless ability.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
some day I will find a reason to use the phrase "Prepare the giant mirror!"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The timing hasn't been fortuitous enough yet, but don't worry.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Harrow posted:

FFXII has this pattern where, whenever you're doing one of those long journeys to the next destination, there are about two or three scenes along the way of characters talking about something. During those, you often see the characters not directly involved in the scene (almost always Vaan and Penelo among them) having background conversations that you can just barely hear. At least one of those shows Basch and Fran hanging out, even.

Yeah when you get to Phon Coast, Vaan and Penelo go to play on the beach while Balthier tells Ashe about his past, and you can see Basch and Fran talking under a tree a ways off, which is as far as I know the only time those two acknowledge each other's existence in the entire game.

The game definitely could have used more of those though, you're right. Especially since some of them are kind of fun, like when Larsa joins you after Jahara and you're heading to Golmore Jungle, Vaan is just saying lines from the bar propositions in FFT ("I guess this job was a success!" and "I got a good feeling!"). But as you said, most of the time that's just background while the plot relevant characters (Balthier and Ashe, occasionally Basch but not often) talk about what they're going to do.

And since I just got to Balfonheim, I do love the scene where Vaan interrupts Reddas and Balthier's conversation and Reddas says "Your apprentice is more of a pirate than you are." I also forgot about the weird lady who wears her underwear outside her shorts that hangs around with the midget bangaa.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

And since I just got to Balfonheim, I do love the scene where Vaan interrupts Reddas and Balthier's conversation and Reddas says "Your apprentice is more of a pirate than you are." I also forgot about the weird lady who wears her underwear outside her shorts that hangs around with the midget bangaa.

I love people getting exasperated at Vaan. Ashe's "I noticed" when Vaan says they didn't recognize her as a princess, or Balthier's "I don't have an apprentice" to Reddas there are both pretty funny. That's the kind of thing I wish the game had more of, because the flashes of personality it does show are pretty fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember years before I actually beat FFVI I asked on here who was the Blue Mage in FFVI, Strago or Gau, since they both sounded like BM. Having now beaten it, I think Gau was probably the most interesting thing about FFVI gameplay-wise.

Are there other characters with a similar gimmick in other JRPGs?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sprigg in Chrono Cross was almost exactly like Gau, except you could control her.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
strictly speaking Gau is a Morpher but they didn't call the job that or use it outside of FFTA

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Blue Mage in FF6 is Strago because he learns how to use enemy abilities by seeing those abilities, abilities he then uses on-demand. This is the hallmark of blue magics. Relm is the beastmaster. She even gets !Control later on

Gau is a hosed up berserker.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

Most of the cast watches as close friends or beloved family members die right in front of them. Their reaction? Scream their name once, then do the sad pixel pose for 5 seconds before Bartz says something like "ok hey everyone let's go beat up the bad guys! :xd:" and it's just completely forgotten until the end of the game.

I hated that.

I get that it's supposed to be a fanciful storybook fairy tale kinda thing but come the gently caress on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

The Blue Mage in FF6 is Strago because he learns how to use enemy abilities by seeing those abilities, abilities he then uses on-demand. This is the hallmark of blue magics. Relm is the beastmaster. She even gets !Control later on

Gau is a hosed up berserker.

Strago is even an official Blue Mage—in the GBA version (and I think the original Japanese Super Famicom version) all the characters have jobs listed and Strago’s is Blue Mage.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Which games have the worst blue mages/magic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Probably VIII and X by virtue of making blue magic exclusive to the limit break system instead of a full-fledged ability set.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Strago would be good in a different game where regular magic wasn't so powerful.

He's got a few neat tricks but most of it's pretty overshadowed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's one reason I like to do "limited magic" runs of FFVI. I don't do the full No Esper run thing, but I like to have some limitation on who can use which espers, which forces me to specialize my characters a bit. It means things like Edgar's tools, Sabin's blitzes, and Strago's lores are all really useful all the way to endgame. It even encourages me to use Cyan's bushido sometimes.

Playing the game as intended, though, yeah lores are pretty lackluster compared to just using regular magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Golden Goat posted:

Which games have the worst blue mages/magic

FfX I guess?