Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Okay, it doesn't look like I'll get everything leveled in time, can someone point me to a good summary of what we learn when all the role quests are done in ShB?

Sure, just off the top of my head:

Cylva, the white-haired elf lady at the bar (pictured here in the 1.0 CG trailer), is actually the last, secret member of the Warriors of Light from the First. She is secretly:
1) The Shadowkeeper, the big evil overlord of the First who the Warriors of Light defeat, after she betrays them, after orchestrating their whole adventure.
2) Another survivor of the 13th, now the Void, who was plucked from that place by the Ascians Lohgrif and Mitron, who promised her that they would help prevent more worlds from being destroyed by helping to cause Rejoinings.

Cylva reveals all of this, and promises to help undo the damage she did and sing the praises of the Warriors of Light she betrayed so long ago. She shows up in the background of all the role quests, but is never named or talked about directly.

If you do all the role quests and the Heavensward extreme trials (except Thordan), there are more quests where Unukalhai travels to the first, and works together with Cylva and the kid from the magic DPS role quests who can make portals to the void. They're trying to work on saving the Void and making it safe for human habitation again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In all honesty, the only thing I think will really stick in people's craw in Endwalker is whatever ends up actually happening with Zodiark and Hydaelyn. A bunch of people have a bunch of different opinions and feelings about the situation and no end point will satisfy everyone.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Awesome, thank y'all!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there's story behind extreme trials??

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The quests to unlock the extreme warring triad quests don't require that you beat the encounter, but they do involve a central character to the void quests. You just turn it in, complete the quest, and get the unlock for extreme.

They probably just want you to deal with all of their stuff before hand.

Hmm, it does look like you do need to defeat Bismark Ex and Ravana Ex to finish their quests, and they are prereqs.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 30, 2021

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The quests to unlock the extreme warring triad quests don't require that you beat the encounter, but they do involve a central character to the void quests. You just turn it in, complete the quest, and get the unlock for extreme.

They probably just want you to deal with all of their stuff before hand.

Hmm, it does look like you do need to defeat Bismark Ex and Ravana Ex to finish their quests, and they are prereqs.

Ravana Ex is pretty easy to solo at 80. Bismark Ex is tougher, but super easy to duo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And if you do all that stuff before the 5.3 cutscene where you get to pick which role quest-giver shows up at your room for a chat, Cylva is an option and justifiably PISSED at the situation.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LECWPFztWQw

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

And if you do all that stuff before the 5.3 cutscene where you get to pick which role quest-giver shows up at your room for a chat, Cylva is an option and justifiably PISSED at the situation.

Neat, I did it all after so I'll have to re-watch that cutscene

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Awesome, thank y'all!

To add to that, she's the odd character out in the cinematics, appearing in 1.0 but not End of an Era/A Realm Reborn. At first this wasn't a big deal but then people began to realize that the party members stuck around between the two, leaving just her the odd one out. The party of five is already weird with two tanks so not a big deal right? And they don't appear in cinematics afterwards and then BAM Warriors of Darkness in HW. Well, after some really wild speculation since it's more of a clever reference then a "Midlander is canon" revelation, it mostly died down until it came up again in ShB because a few people who paid attention noticed a certain few NPCs in the Crystarium.

It's really a minor touch but it's great because there's these little details that lined up in a certain way (No female elezen in the EoE cinematic) that they then turned into foreshadowing and they got the speculation engine all fired up with what is at most a fun nod/cameo from the cinematics party(s). There's never an attempt to line things up perfectly by saying their party was actually on the Source or did that poo poo. It's a fun cameo you can spot coming miles away even if you don't realize it at the time. It's basically the devs giving a nod to the people who find these tiny details and encouraging more of that kind of engagement.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rap Game Goku posted:

Ravana Ex is pretty easy to solo at 80. Bismark Ex is tougher, but super easy to duo.

Specifically for Bismarck, you need to burst down one of the two sanuwa ASAP, so time your poo poo towards it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Argas posted:

Specifically for Bismarck, you need to burst down one of the two sanuwa ASAP, so time your poo poo towards it.

If you're on a tank or otherwise sustainable class then failing to burn one down (or close to done) before they get their proximity damage reduction is doable but slooooooooooooooooooow and adds a lot more time for you to misstep.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bruceski posted:

FuturePastNow posted:

Neat, I did it all after so I'll have to re-watch that cutscene

Yeah, anyone that has the capability to check that scene with her, should. It's a nice bit for her.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

So here’s what I’m wondering - do you all think the ending of Endwalker be seen as controversial by a substantial number of players?

even irrespective of what happens in the plot broadly, there are so many people online who think character X has to die while character Y can absolutely not die, as a matter of arcs and narrative structure, that at least some of them have to end up disappointed when zenos not only doesn't die but lives forever as the new word of the mother.

speaking of hydaelyn: what exactly do the scions think of hydaelyn prior to 5.0? they're some of the only ones to call her the mothercrystal, and iirc they accord importance to the echo, which they (like most people who have any contact with it) think of as hydaelyn's blessing or gift. But is she a god? the spirit of the planet? what do people think it means to be "hydaelyn's champion" before we learn she's basically a very very big primal? I can't tell if I've forgotten all this or it's just never quite conveyed. Religion in general feels so sort of intentionally vague in FFXIV, save that the Garleans are literally militant atheists.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I quite liked Cylva’s 1.0 design and it inspired me to play as an Elezen for a while. In-game I think she looks weird as poo poo though.

Like Elezen.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Begemot posted:

If you do all the role quests and the Heavensward extreme trials (except Thordan), there are more quests where Unukalhai travels to the first, and works together with Cylva and the kid from the magic DPS role quests who can make portals to the void. They're trying to work on saving the Void and making it safe for human habitation again.

not 100% on this but I believe extreme nidhogg can also be skipped for this purpose

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ruzihm posted:

not 100% on this but I believe extreme nidhogg can also be skipped for this purpose

You also don't have to actually do the ex Warring Triad fights just complete the quests that unlock them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I swear this sounds like yet another iteration of the persistent confusion about the Heavensward Warring Triad quests that stems from their confusing unlock order.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Right, not Nidhogg either.

The long and short of it is that you have to do all the quests that Unukalhai is involved in back on the Source because he has to be able to leave the Solarium and go to the First. They're so picky about moving NPCs, it's the same reason the MSQ forces you to do the hard mode trials, to allow Urianger to leave the Waking Sands.

Meanwhile, Gerolt is allowed to be in like ten different locations at the same time!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gotta maintain a lot of gigs to keep up with his incredible debt

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think that the EW ending will be controversial in the same way a lot of endings to nerd media are controversial, where it won't match the projection of what it should be in some people's heads and they're going to get mad about it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Begemot posted:

Right, not Nidhogg either.

The long and short of it is that you have to do all the quests that Unukalhai is involved in back on the Source because he has to be able to leave the Solarium and go to the First. They're so picky about moving NPCs, it's the same reason the MSQ forces you to do the hard mode trials, to allow Urianger to leave the Waking Sands.

Meanwhile, Gerolt is allowed to be in like ten different locations at the same time!

I mean Urianger is still there now for me, urging me to pick up some quest I never did for ARR. I think the relics? Because I farmed the extremes for ponies.

He gives the starting quest for the Extremes and the Relic so he can absolutely be hanging out there and the First/the Rising Stones at the same time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blockhouse posted:

I think that the EW ending will be controversial in the same way a lot of endings to nerd media are controversial, where it won't match the projection of what it should be in some people's heads and they're going to get mad about it.

yea FF is good with endings (imo at least), I think they will wrap this story up nicely, but some folks will complain loudly because they've already written the ending they want in their heads and will be upset when Natsuko Ishikawa doesn't use her magic mind reading ray and transcribe it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh well i think I’ve done every ! symbol so if I don’t have to clear the extreme duty I guess I’ll get there

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I honestly have NO idea what to expect from the ending. I have zero expecations of what will happen with Hydalen and Zodiark, Fandaniel, the Ascian stuff, if our planet will be okay, etc. I expect Thancred to die but who even knows

Literally the only thing 100% I'm confidant on is Zenos will die. I don't even have any expectations that Fandaniel will die! I think the only thing 100% set in stone is Zenos' death. I can't even imagine what kind of ending people have in their heads cause I just can't even guess what it'll be

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I feel the same. I don't have nearly enough of an idea where I think or want it to go to feel disappointed!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

sexpig by night posted:

yea FF is good with endings (imo at least), I think they will wrap this story up nicely, but some folks will complain loudly because they've already written the ending they want in their heads and will be upset when Natsuko Ishikawa doesn't use her magic mind reading ray and transcribe it.

Well as long as the WoL doesn't have a fit of pique and kick a beachball-shaped landmine, I think the ending will be well received.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SirPhoebos posted:

Well as long as the WoL doesn't have a fit of pique and kick a beachball-shaped landmine, I think the ending will be well received.

yea to be clear I think the majority of players are in this situation

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I feel the same. I don't have nearly enough of an idea where I think or want it to go to feel disappointed!

just agreeing that there will always be a few nerds who make the ending of any IP 'controversial' just because they're mad they couldn't magically 100% predict what will happen before launch and consider that a failing of writing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think the only way I could be disappointed is if they lean super hard into the WoL being some kind of messianic chosen one or feel the need to draw straight lines from every major NPC to an Ancient and say explicitly who everyone is shards of.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah if everyone becomes a reincarnated Ascian that's lame, though I will accept one (the twins count as one for this).

I will also accept "Azem's soul didn't reunify, you know, it is part of others now... including the greatest hero of the Scions..."

"Tataru Taru."

And that's when the Mega-Carbuncle shows up.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've been assuming, based on vague population estimates, that most or all people are reincarnated ancients, but not of anyone important and not in a way that really matters

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've been assuming, based on vague population estimates, that most or all people are reincarnated ancients, but not of anyone important and not in a way that really matters

Most of the scions we know aren't, because they didn't gain the echo during the starshower in Norvrandt.

That can probably be extrapolated to much of the Source's population.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Qwertycoatl posted:

People are reincarnated ancients in the sense of "there was presumably a whole OG world of people who died and everyone, presumably, has a connection to someone from that world," definitely.

But there's ancients in that sense, and Ancients in the sense of "people from Amaurot," and then the even narrower quantity of "potential Ascians." If I had to guess, the soul vibrations that let you get the Echo if you see a starshower are "you were an Amaurotine at the time of the Final Days, even if you weren't high-ranking or anything."

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wait, Zenos is gonna be a shard of Fandaniel, isn't he :negative: That's why Fandaniel is so hosed up, some kind of weird-rear end soul feedback

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well it's still possible that Y'shtola is Hylodtheus. Given they share the same laugh and a lot of speech patterns.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I don't think it's possible at all, she didn't manifest the echo and was clearly present for the starshower, so she's not a shard of any amaurotine

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Mister Olympus posted:

I don't think it's possible at all, she didn't manifest the echo and was clearly present for the starshower, so she's not a shard of any amaurotine

Not sure if her aether vision is similar enough to trigger it

Then again she was at the Calamity before that, which is close enough I'd guess

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

In 1.0 she had the Echo, clearly that’s why they uploaded the intro movie. :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
turns out all the other scions are fragments of zenos
this will lead to the controversial zenos everywhere mechanic of 7.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Aether probably works like biomass. While there were Amaurotians at the Final Days, there was a lot lot lot lot more aether running around as ants or dogs or grass or whatever and while these are significantly less aether dense there’s just a lot more of it. So as aether gets recycled and souls get formed from the lifestream and turned into people only a small% of that aether can be traced back to Final Days Amaurotian.