Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It obviously also depends on difficulty: on Hard Pale Rider with 5 level difference just one-shots everything and the Area 3 boss who hits hard in general can omeshot on neutral with an even lower difference. It's way overtuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Also,

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wologar posted:

SMT IV Minotaur is the best design in the series.

His skull face nose bull head is very good.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I somehow managed to brute force the level 71 Cumhail fight at level 53.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

What's the endgame build for a Physical Nahobino? Just found the essence with Murakumo and I want to make sure I grab all the proper skills on it once I get my last skill slot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

What's the endgame build for a Physical Nahobino? Just found the essence with Murakumo and I want to make sure I grab all the proper skills on it once I get my last skill slot.

This is what I ran:

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I'm trying to be efficient but I have too many demons now. Do yall just toss em out of the party?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

poe meater posted:

I'm trying to be efficient but I have too many demons now. Do yall just toss em out of the party?

fuse them

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Lol, I'm level 40 and I fused all that I can. 16/16 too. I'm just gonna toss em whatever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you can turn any into elementals, do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

like tears in rain...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I feel like lack of triple fusion really limits the ability to fuse stuff off.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think it was a big mistake to have the (true ending) last boss be only level 90 instead of 99. I watched some videos and didn't even know about most of his cool unique attacks because he crumpled so ridiculously fast in my run. Made the fight seem way cooler!!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think it was a big mistake to have the (true ending) last boss be only level 90 instead of 99. I watched some videos and didn't even know about most of his cool unique attacks because he crumpled so ridiculously fast in my run. Made the fight seem way cooler!!!

There's actually a bit of a misunderstanding here, which I also had.

Lucifer isn't a bonus boss for the human ending. He's the final boss of every ending other than destroy the throne. So he's scaled perfectly reasonably for the law and chaos endings, and way undertuned for the one ending that requires the superboss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

There's actually a bit of a misunderstanding here, which I also had.

Lucifer isn't a bonus boss for the human ending. He's the final boss of every ending other than destroy the throne. So he's scaled perfectly reasonably for the law and chaos endings, and way undertuned for the one ending that requires the superboss.

He's level 90 in the true route, and has a second phase. and 85 and only phase 1 in the order and myriad god's routes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

He's level 90 in the true route, and has a second phase. and 85 and only phase 1 in the order and myriad god's routes

I, did not know that

that's super lame

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Any tips on how to take out Nuwa when Nahobino’s weak to wind? She effectively one shots me despite being level 20. Also my demons are running out of MP before half her HP is gone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Louisgod posted:

Any tips on how to take out Nuwa when Nahobino’s weak to wind? She effectively one shots me despite being level 20. Also my demons are running out of MP before half her HP is gone.

use an essence and change nahobino's element

also you just have to get her below 50%

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't be weak to wind

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Louisgod posted:

change your weakness, use items to nullify upcoming attacks

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kirbysuperstar posted:

use an essence and change nahobino's element

also you just have to get her below 50%

OH I didn’t even know you could do this, thank you!

e: that did the trick, thanks all

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 1, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Jfc I won the boss fight of Shinagawa by the skin of my teeth. Fight was almost perfectly balanced by how little health the second phase actually had. Not sure I would have survived another turn had he not flubbed a mudoon into a dark blocking demon and then followed up with a pretty predictable magatsuhi charge

This games bosses are way tougher than IV's so far, even with dampeners which I initially thought would spoil their difficulty

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Louisgod posted:

OH I didn’t even know you could do this, thank you!

e: that did the trick, thanks all

The thread never mentions you need to buy a Glory first that let's you do take on Affinities from Essences. It's a non-negotiable Glory and I'm sure most people won't miss it. You didn't, which is good, but I'm posting for anyone new who might see.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Deified Data posted:

Jfc I won the boss fight of Shinagawa by the skin of my teeth. Fight was almost perfectly balanced by how little health the second phase actually had. Not sure I would have survived another turn had he not flubbed a mudoon into a dark blocking demon and then followed up with a pretty predictable magatsuhi charge

This games bosses are way tougher than IV's so far, even with dampeners which I initially thought would spoil their difficulty

I just did this fight last night. Boss was rendered easy by Dark blocking, predictable Magatsuhi, predictable moves like Charge (use a phys dampener when you see charge bing bong big brain), and also they do the confusion AOE which whiffs or gets blocked by majority. I swear it blew like half a dozen turns. I went into the fight blind, didn't know what moves I'd be facing or what they were weak too and I still cleared on first try (Nahobino was 3 levels behind and highest Demon was 2 levels behind). Still a fun fight! Kinda lengthy but it's fine. Also I used up a ton of items so the easiness came at a cost.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

wologar posted:

SMT IV Minotaur is the best design in the series.

It's very good but let's not get too hasty here. He's not even the best in IV - Centaur is like right there, at the absolute minimum. That's even to say nothing of the IVA redesigns almost all being even better.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm now pretty sure the true justification for level influencing the formulas was just for the level 99 Abscess battle against fodder demons. Still beat it thanks to mirrors and Seal.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im at the final boss for strange journey redux and It's using some move that makes the entire party weak to expel. Any way to avoid that?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I'm now pretty sure the true justification for level influencing the formulas was just for the level 99 Abscess battle against fodder demons. Still beat it thanks to mirrors and Seal.

Poison really makes the fight easy as well

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Area 4 really is pretty scattered on how to do it. I haven't had much problem and managed to clear all Abcesses I could see but drat I wish sidequest had a recommended level visible or something.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 1, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Area 4 really is pretty scattered on how to do it. I haven't had much problem and managed to clear all Abcesses I could see but drat I wish sidequest had a recommended level visible or something.

I have accepted absolutely getting owned by a boss that you aren't remotely up to level for/prepared for as part of the MegaTen Process

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have accepted absolutely getting owned by a boss that you aren't remotely up to level for/prepared for as part of the MegaTen Process

I told my friend that first thing he should do when he starts a boss fight is use a spyglass and then take a screenshot and another friend who hasn't played an SMT overheard and thought it was cowardly. He'd understand if he did

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The third bit of the end of area 3 is exactly as frustrating as billed, yikes. It's not that it's hard, but it's finicky and the wind panels are all gimmicked (some push you four map squares! some push you 2.5 so you fall into a gap and get to walk all the way back around! that feels bad!) and all require some repetition at least once or twice to get the hang ouf it. The controls aren't good enough and the mechanics aren't deep enough to make this a fun experience.

Congratulations, SMTV. You made a worse jumping puzzle than Half-Life's Xen sections. At least you were shorter.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I told my friend that first thing he should do when he starts a boss fight is use a spyglass and then take a screenshot and another friend who hasn't played an SMT overheard and thought it was cowardly. He'd understand if he did

Spyglasses and then running are how I deal with basically all of the abscesses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just feel like this is such a recurring thing they should build in some time loop mechanic to make it diegetic instead of making me game over for information lol

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
After I felt comfortable enough to take on those four mini-bosses for the dragon in the first area, I didn't even bat an eye when he then challenged me to a fight only for me to discover he's ~30 levels stronger than me.

So it goes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
maybe some kinda intel-gathering mechanic would be neat but I feel like I would still Spy and Die to speed things along

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

This is what I ran:

This is similar to mine except

change the charge to the crit aura version, you'll get much more mileage since murakumo gets a bonus from crit. Also add in zealot aura for even more crit damage.

This build might seem redundant with crit magasuchi but there's another magasuchi skill in the end game side quests that's much better IMO

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TheLoser posted:

After I felt comfortable enough to take on those four mini-bosses for the dragon in the first area, I didn't even bat an eye when he then challenged me to a fight only for me to discover he's ~30 levels stronger than me.

So it goes.

I fell for that, but because unlike most sidequests accepting it leads inmediately into the fight instead of giving you the chance to back down after accepting.

As for the scanning, I generally go blind, scan and try it once until I die or the fight goes pear-shaped, in which case I reload and keep the knowledge, although I eventually use a dead turn to spy again. Feels like the most fair and several bosses I still beat on the first try! (Meanwhile others like Mother Harlot were a reset fest, gently caress you Mother Harlot).

Edit: Also drat, I ended up grabbing Murakumo and hot drat I was doing 500 on normal hits. I guess it's time to put Nahobino down in the order. Although even with Murderous Glee I wasn't critting that much...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
spy-and-die became pretty necessary in the endgame where you really have to start using essence fusion and it's basically a boss rush

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I never really expected to win any first boss fights. They were more to see how far my current team can go and see what needs to be tweaked and adjusted for the next attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I'm gathering the first world "navigator" demon mostly finds consumables, the third one does gems... What's the second specialize in? Couldn't get a read on him.