Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Alright. Think Baldur's Gate 3 will go on sale? It'd be a good gift for my brother-in-law who loves the series, but not at €60.

e: it's not looking good https://steampricehistory.com/app/1086940

Yeah I'd say it's very unlikely that an EA game like BG3 will go on sale right now. EA games definitely can and do go on sale sometimes but a big one like BG3 probably won't until after its full release in god knows how many years at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stickman posted:

What's been working for me is having Game Pass and then playing whatever is marked as leaving soon :v:
there's also this site that shows the metacritic score and time to beat for gamepass games

https://gamepassport.net/

I haven't really used it but I imagine it's very useful for people who need that extra little nudge

e: for example you can filter it to games just released this year, and then filter to under 5 hours, then discover that you (not me, a big brain haver) have not played unpacking yet and should play it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 30, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if baldur's gate 3 is still early access (i'm not sure it is and i'm not bothering to check) then i don't think it will go on steam sale
e:f;b

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baldur's Gate 3 is still in Early Access and will probably be in it until the end of next year.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I heard Baldur's Gate 3 is in early access, c/d

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The 7th Guest posted:

Mechajammer (Dec 2nd)

Turn-based cyberpunk CRPG with a pretty slick look, like if you applied Octopath Traveler's HD-2D style to a grimy dystopian setting. The dev's previous game Serpent in the Staglands did not review very well.

This poo poo is my jam. Wishlisted.

Kibayasu posted:

I wonder how much of this was developing the Galaxy client to solve a problem it turns out not a lot of people really had, that being too many digital stores separating their games.

I mean I don't know about you, but currently my games are split between Steam, Steam, and Steam.

Rusty posted:

I did the dollar 3 months gamepass thing again to play Forza 5, ended up playing it for 3 days and haven't touched any other game on it. Not sure why, just rather play games from Steam I guess and last time I tried to install something it gave me a bunch of errors and I guess I don't care enough to figure it out. I got to play Forza for a buck though so that was cool, didn't really enjoy it, but didn't have to spend a bunch to figure that out.

Gamepass has the same problem Netflix had about ten years ago. Which is that most of the stuff on it either is something you've already completed or just isn't that interesting. I can't think of any game on Gamepass that I'd pay full price for.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Gamepass has the same problem Netflix had about ten years ago. Which is that most of the stuff on it either is something you've already completed or just isn't that interesting. I can't think of any game on Gamepass that I'd pay full price for.
That's kind of the point for me though, it allows me to try games i'd normally buy for $10-30 and i can do that for $150/3years and "save" a lot of money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is the entire point of Gamepass, you play games that you normally would have only maybe tried on sale, except now you don't have to feel bad about having wasted 30bux if you end up disliking it. And ocassionally you find some real hidden gems that would have normally fallen completely under your radar if it wasn't free to download.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I still love GOG for all they've done to acquire and pack all those old DOS games, but by now, I have picked up all the ones I wanted. It's not exactly an expanding market. And with EGS giving away games all the time, the younger generation is more likely to buy from Epic than from them when they get some income later, since that's where they'll have a big pre-existing library.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of which, I tried Generation Zero on Game Pass. I guess they fixed the bugs because I didn't see any but it's really boring and the gameplay is really bland, and it's almost designed that you die in three-four shots, pick yourself up, and keep trucking, then repeat lol. The menus and inventory are pretty bad also.

I feel like those devs made like one and a half good games and have been coasting since (Just Cause 2 and Mad Max)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DoubleT2172 posted:

That's kind of the point for me though, it allows me to try games i'd normally buy for $10-30 and i can do that for $150/3years and "save" a lot of money.

exquisite tea posted:

This is the entire point of Gamepass, you play games that you normally would have only maybe tried on sale, except now you don't have to feel bad about having wasted 30bux if you end up disliking it. And ocassionally you find some real hidden gems that would have normally fallen completely under your radar if it wasn't free to download.

I guess I'm around too many people who hype up Gamepass as an inevitable "Steam replacement" and that it will be the dominate form of game releases just like Netflix did for TV or Spotify did with music.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

Syberia: The World Before (Dec 10th)

The final Syberia game (RIP Benoit Sokal), this one will actually show what the automaton cities actually looked like when populated and running, as you will play both the usual protagonist as well as a protagonist in the 1930s.

I enjoyed 1 and 2, but Syberia 3 was truly dire. Terrible controls and some maddening puzzles made for a very un-fun experience. I hope this one is more polished.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well I sure forgot to pause my Humble Choice again. Quote this post for:

House Flipper
Due Process
Timelie
Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

I'm not too upset, I really wanted Wingspan and Turnip Boy, and Project Wingman's been on my list for ages.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

punk rebel ecks posted:

I guess I'm around too many people who hype up Gamepass as an inevitable "Steam replacement" and that it will be the dominate form of game releases just like Netflix did for TV or Spotify did with music.
In my experience the only people who "hype it up" like that are cynical doomsayers who claim Gamepass marks the impending end of our ability to buy things at all. Anyone who actually uses and enjoys it for what it is is probably still buying games on other platforms. I've bought several Gamepass games I've played on Steam so I could have cloud saves and achievements and not have to worry in case they eventually leave the service.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Volte posted:

In my experience the only people who "hype it up" like that are cynical doomsayers who claim Gamepass marks the impending end of our ability to buy things at all. Anyone who actually uses and enjoys it for what it is is probably still buying games on other platforms. I've bought several Gamepass games I've played on Steam so I could have cloud saves and achievements and not have to worry in case they eventually leave the service.

To me it's people on the other end who are Gamepass fanatics'. Specifically on ResetEra.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Gamepass will never supplant steam because most people who play PC games have spent like five or ten years accumulating games on steam but I think it will be an increasingly good supplement for demo purposes and the occasional niche game worth only one play through

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

there's also this site that shows the metacritic score and time to beat for gamepass games

https://gamepassport.net/

I haven't really used it but I imagine it's very useful for people who need that extra little nudge

e: for example you can filter it to games just released this year, and then filter to under 5 hours, then discover that you (not me, a big brain haver) have not played unpacking yet and should play it

That's really handy, thanks! I've been using HowLongToBeat but it doesn't really have gamepass-specific features or easy sorting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

I heard Baldur's Gate 3 is in early access, c/d

i checked snopes and it's a common myth its actujallly in early access,

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My credit card got cancelled so my gamepass lapsed; I think it's great that it exists, but I find the encrypted bullshit annoying and I'd rather just own the games. Still excellent value, obv.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

HopperUK posted:

House Flipper

Ill take this one if you still have it

Kly fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 30, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kly posted:

Ill take this one if you still have it

Sure! You got no plat, what's your Steam?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 30, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

This seems neat, please.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

sebmojo posted:

My credit card got cancelled so my gamepass lapsed; I think it's great that it exists, but I find the encrypted bullshit annoying and I'd rather just own the games. Still excellent value, obv.

The encrypted thing has been resolved, it installs to a normal rear end folder wherever you want now. https://www.polygon.com/22776946/xbox-app-pc-windows-microsoft-update-improvements-game-pass

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Friend invite sent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ygmir posted:

The encrypted thing has been resolved, it installs to a normal rear end folder wherever you want now. https://www.polygon.com/22776946/xbox-app-pc-windows-microsoft-update-improvements-game-pass

oh, that's good to hear.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Huh, Propnight was supposed to be released today but the nothing came about. Was wondering wtf the was going on but they got hit by ransomware.

https://twitter.com/fntasticgames/status/1465803160040128524

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
How.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was going to make a prop hunt joke but apparently prop hunt is still around and popular enough that it's in things like call of duty and fortnite and now this game and i had absolutely no idea because i'm a fake geek gamer

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

HopperUK posted:

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

Ill gladly take wrath if you still have it, I've got plat, cheers.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I've been seeing a lot of talk about gamepass on this page so I'd like to make a plea: If you have gamepass and you haven't tried Cyber Shadow yet, definitely give it a shot. It's the shovel knight dev's take on Ninja Gaiden and it's fantastic. IMO also play it with the CRT and bad wire filters on. I might have to pick it up for real after my sub runs out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

incompetence.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Trick Question posted:

I've been seeing a lot of talk about gamepass on this page so I'd like to make a plea: If you have gamepass and you haven't tried Cyber Shadow yet, definitely give it a shot. It's the shovel knight dev's take on Ninja Gaiden and it's fantastic. IMO also play it with the CRT and bad wire filters on. I might have to pick it up for real after my sub runs out.

Yacht Club only published it, I believe, not made it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

You're right, the dev is Mechanical Head Studios, which is basically one dude. Thanks for the correction! Still a good game though!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
that game is too hard :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally off work and trying D:OS2 again

lol I'm already stuck at chargen because i'm worried about picking the wrong/trap skills :bang:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the song that plays at that point in the endgame marathon is "I'll Keep Coming". It just works on several levels lmao

it was pretty amazing, yeah

i respect the hell out of Kojima's particular brand of madness, even as I :argh: at him

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

Finally off work and trying D:OS2 again

lol I'm already stuck at chargen because i'm worried about picking the wrong/trap skills :bang:

You get free unlimited respecs after Act I for what it's worth, like to the point of being able to change classes and everything. While you're gonna want a team comp that can make it through Fort Joy (arguably literally anything can but some will be harder than others) you're not stuck with your picks for the next 100 hours.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're using the dev sanctioned mod/update packs or whatever they're called that released later on you actually get the unlimited free respecs pretty early on in act 1 itself from what i remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh, well that does help somewhat, i think

is there a way to get more instruments to choose from? i want a piano or similar. kinda like Tambura tho