Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A ‘Simpsons’ Episode Lampooned Chinese Censorship. In Hong Kong, It Vanished.

quote:

HONG KONG — An episode of “The Simpsons” that ridicules Chinese government censorship appears to have been censored on Disney’s newly launched streaming service in Hong Kong, adding to fears about the shrinking space for free expression and criticism in this city.

Other episodes of the show are available on Disney+, which made its much-anticipated debut in Hong Kong this month. But in season 16, the archive skips directly from episode 11 to episode 13, omitting episode 12, “Goo Goo Gai Pan,” in which the Simpson family travels to Beijing.

There, they visit the embalmed body of Mao Zedong, whom Homer Simpson calls “a little angel that killed 50 million people.” In another scene, the family passes through Tiananmen Square, where a plaque says “On this site, in 1989, nothing happened” — a jab at the Chinese government’s attempts to suppress public memory of the massacre, in which the army opened fire on students and other pro-democracy protesters.

Not much of a surprise no way Disney would risk the China market. Would be fun if for no reason China demanded Duffless be removed from global streaming or they'll block the next Marvel film from release to watch how fast Disney complies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/world/asia/simpsons-hk.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

President Xi, I have a list of episodes you must make Disney destroy, for the good of the people. It's a rather lengthy list...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Turns out every episode from Season 12 on was counter-revolutionary

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How could Homer have possibly forgotten learning about his mom, Mona, being alive, at age 13, and going on a cross country trip with his dad to find her?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FunkyAl posted:

How could Homer have possibly forgotten learning about his mom, Mona, being alive, at age 13, and going on a cross country trip with his dad to find her?

loving seriously? Godfuckingdammit Mother Simpson is bar none one of the best episodes in this pigshit cartoon and Mona was a wonderful character whose interactions with Homer led to one of the most touching moments in any cartoon but these loving hacks just can't leave it alone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Chad Jihad posted:

45 year old comic book guy was given a 20-something asian cosplaying wife, I am comfortable saying this is the lowest point

that was like 10 years ago now btw

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

FunkyAl posted:

What episode is this? I tried looking it up but haven't found it so far. However, during that research I did find a description of a season 23 episode that mentions a fishing trip that Abe and Homer went on right before Mona left.....amongst many other things. From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Mr. Smithers enters a storage cupboard in the power plant and accidentally leaves the door open. Homer, seeing this as an opportunity to steal supplies, tells everyone to come and help themselves and every employee steals something. However, Homer then sees Mr. Burns approaching and hurries away from the plant, leaving his fellow employees to get all of the blame. Homer is thought to be the only one who did not steal anything and gets a day off, which he spends going fishing with Bart. The next night, Homer wets the bed while asleep. When he wets the bed again the following night, he thinks that karma may be the reason, so he apologizes to all of his fellow employees with a free barbecue for everyone. That night, Homer wets the bed again and gets angry over a wasted act of kindness. He buys a bedwetting alarm that will warn him when he is about to urinate in his sleep. This machine, however, wakes up the entire family and he must explain his predicament to them. Homer then starts wearing Confidence Man Adult Diapers which are a turn-off to Marge, and she goes for a walk. She bumps into Professor Frink, who reveals that he has invented a machine that can be used to enter other people's dreams. They plug in Homer while he is asleep and the family enters his dream in which he is skiing down a snowy mountain. There, they meet Death, who is dragging a coffin that reads "Marriage". After falling off a cliff while pursuing Death, and faced with Frink's warning that their death in the dream world could kill them in real life, they use the dream machine to enter Bart's dream to prolong their time. In this dream, the family is drawn in their original style from The Tracey Ullman Show (which aired on Fox's television stations in 1987, after News Corporation's acquisition of the Metromedia stations in 1986), with Homer using his original Walter Matthau-style voice. Family therapist B.F. Sherwood tells them to open the coffin. When it is opened, the room starts to fill with fish, so the family use the machine to go to the next dream, which is Lisa's, but when they find that they are on an Elizabethan stage show, they immediately change dreams again, much to Lisa's protests of being ignored, going back into Homer's.

Homer's newest dream depicts a city made of his greatest desires. After exploring the dream, Homer decides he wants to stay in it forever. At this point, Chief Wiggum, Eddie, and Lou have entered the Simpsons' home to try to get the dream machine from Professor Frink, ignoring his warnings that this could kill the Simpsons. In the resulting fight, the dream machine falls to the floor, which causes a disturbance in the dream, in which a large bottle of Duff Beer falls over and floods the city. The Simpsons are nearly crushed by two large gears, but they are rescued by Death, who is revealed to be Mona Simpson, Homer's mother who passed away four seasons prior. Mona then takes the family to a movie theater where they view a childhood memory of Homer's. He and Grampa went on a fishing trip and the boat capsized. They then returned to their holiday home several hours late and without any fish. A couple of weeks following the incident, Mona left Grampa and Homer. This left Homer guilty as he thought that the failed fishing trip caused his mother to leave. However, Mona reassures him that it was not because of this and shows another memory of her being relieved that Homer, her greatest treasure, was safe because of Grampa, and Homer finally feels comfort. Now knowing the reason behind Homer's bed-wetting, the family leaves the dream before it collapses on itself. Back at the Simpson home, Chief Wiggum finally manages to get the device from Frink and detaches it just as everyone wakes up. Homer is relieved to find he has not wet himself. That night, Homer spins a top, with Marge telling him that if it keeps spinning, they are still in a dream. It does so they decide to strip naked and go for a bike ride. However, as soon as they leave, the top falls on its side and it starts to hail. A truck then hits Homer. Behind the end credits, David Byrne and Glenn Close sing a version of "Dream Operator" from the David Byrne movie "True Stories".

The episode is titled How I wet Your Mother in case anyone is interested. And it's almost ten years old.

Jesus Christ, there are so many seasons that I couldn't possibly give a single flying poo poo about.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 30, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The stuff about Homer's mom is from the newest episode.

quote:

Bart is browsing scenes on TV, when he stumbles upon Muttflix, peaking Santa's Little Helper's interest. This causes Santa's Little Helper to invite She Biscuit over since it's Mother's Day.

Bart and Lisa gift Marge mugs they made from school, gifting her the same gift they gave her previously, while Maggie gives her a baby's kiss, while teasing them for their lame gifts. They also notice that Homer is sad over hearing it's Mother's Day. After gifting Marge a framed picture of the kids, he continues crying remembering his late mother Mona.

Lisa suggests him to use the app Nutz for therapy on his loss and they bring him back thirty years ago to the day that Abe got notes from Mona that she's wanted by the FBI and was leaving them. To avoid having to explain it, Grampa told then 9-year old Homer she was dead.

After learning how to drive at 16, having a crash while driving with Hans Moleman, and meeting a just hired Chief Wiggum, he receives a post card from Utah from Mona, which is secretly being monitored by the FBI while Wiggum was discovering donuts at Lard Lad Donuts.

In the present, Homer gets a better consultant on his case and returns to memory to the time he confronted his father about the truth on her death, with Grampa informing him of the truth, realizing he never gave her what she needed, which was to leave him.

Homer wasn't satisfied and one day, he departed from home to go to Utah and find out once and for all, with Abe in the backseat while being followed by the FBI. After bonding over the drive, they stop at the Latter Days Inn, where the waitress identifies Mona over the picture that Abe shows her and they start driving again.

They arrive at Texxon where they spot Mona. The moment she was coming to meet them, she spot the FBI agents and excaped, they start chasing her but Abe gets stuck and Homer decides to help him out since he never left him. Mona manages to escape in the van of a hippie and leaves for San Francisco.

Back in the present, Grampa tells them they never found her again (seemingly retconning the events of the seventh season episode "Mother Simpson", where she reunites with both Homer and Abe in the present-day). Satisfied over the therapy working, Homer uninstalls the app, getting the therapist fired over concluding the problem too quickly and tells another untold story.

When Bart was born, Homer had trouble cutting the umbilical cord and tore it off. That night in the room with Marge while she was asleep, a doctor came in the room to look for the baby, and reveals to be really Mona, checking her new born grandson. As she's leaving, she kisses Abe goodbye too.

In closure with Santa's Little Helper bringing a dead bird to his mother and the closure of the past being achieved, Homer brings the family to dinner at The Gilded Truffle where he ate like it was a buffet from the kitchen. When Homer quotes "When I see the sign nrunch, I brunch", the restaurant is forced to change their sign to avoid bankruptcy.

Later while watching Muttflix, Homer asks Marge if they can eat off the floor, to which she quotes "No". During the credits, Homer is seen sleeping with some maple syrup as he has a dream of dancing in a circle with his family and ancestors in an homage to 8 1/2.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Calaveron posted:

loving seriously? Godfuckingdammit Mother Simpson is bar none one of the best episodes in this pigshit cartoon and Mona was a wonderful character whose interactions with Homer led to one of the most touching moments in any cartoon but these loving hacks just can't leave it alone

It’s like when Futurama retconned Fry’s dog Seymour’s story in one of the Futurama movies (the first one, I think?) where Fry becomes some guy named Lars for some loving reason (why do I remember that and none of the rest?).

Anyway, the point I’m making is Futurama should have stayed cancelled because the direct-to-video movies and Comedy Central episodes blew rear end :hai:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Chad Jihad posted:

45 year old comic book guy was given a 20-something asian cosplaying wife, I am comfortable saying this is the lowest point
That was the first new episode that I had seen in a long time when it premiered and I remember feeling...I don't know, the episode just felt really self-indulgent, like the writers were working in their own deepest romantic fantasies and it just felt awkward*. I know the wife was in another episode recently and from the bits of it that I saw it was just as awkward and weird and self-indulgent as the other episode.

*It was immediately followed up by an episode where an African princess falls in love with Moe and I was thinking to myself, "is this just what they do now? give long-running side characters love interests that are completely out of their league??"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

With Comic Book Guy it's clear that they use him as the 'new' Apu.

They should make him a cuckold like Sideshow Mel. Just slowly cuckify the side characters over the course of a few years and see if anyone notices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Happy Landfill posted:

*It was immediately followed up by an episode where an African princess falls in love with Moe and I was thinking to myself, "is this just what they do now? give long-running side characters love interests that are completely out of their league??"

I feel like this is the kind of thing that every run-too-long sitcom ends up doing.

Mantis42 posted:

With Comic Book Guy it's clear that they use him as the 'new' Apu.

They should make him a cuckold like Sideshow Mel. Just slowly cuckify the side characters over the course of a few years and see if anyone notices.

Everyone in Springfield cucks each other.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s not like Simpsons has a wide cast of young single characters to use.

Maybe they’ll give Lenny and Carl love interests

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

I hate that they can't leave it alone. It's like a microcosm of what's wrong with the simpsons: do something new instead of recycling old content and characters forever

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bobjr posted:

I heard that they're just explicitly gay for each other now but gently caress if i'd watch an episode to find out

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

(Description of a total bullshit episode)

I know they have been playing fast and loose with continuity for a while now, but this honestly feels like the most egregious case, even more so than episodes where Homer and Marge grew up in the 90s (which I think was retconned again to make them older millenials?)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hate that they can't leave it alone. It's like a microcosm of what's wrong with the simpsons: do something new instead of recycling old content and characters forever

Somehow I feel like if they did new stuff it would suck and we'd be like "they should stick to the familiar stuff that they know works"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You Are A Elf posted:

It’s like when Futurama retconned Fry’s dog Seymour’s story in one of the Futurama movies (the first one, I think?) where Fry becomes some guy named Lars for some loving reason (why do I remember that and none of the rest?).

Anyway, the point I’m making is Futurama should have stayed cancelled because the direct-to-video movies and Comedy Central episodes blew rear end :hai:

Honestly, a lot of older Futurama hasn't aged well either and it bums me out.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think Bender's Big Score was good, but they should have made it like a real movie.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Honestly, a lot of older Futurama hasn't aged well either and it bums me out.

Yeah I liked it when it was on and think the quality is still good but feel no need to go back for a rewatch of favorite seasons, like I do for Simpsons or King of the Hill.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

You Are A Elf posted:

this is one of the few retcons I enjoy, but i can easily see why people don't.

separately: when the movie started, I thought "man, Billy West is losing it. Lars sounds like Fry after 20 years of smoking." so in conclusion, Billy West is a genius.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A ‘Simpsons’ Episode Lampooned Chinese Censorship. In Hong Kong, It Vanished.

Not much of a surprise no way Disney would risk the China market. Would be fun if for no reason China demanded Duffless be removed from global streaming or they'll block the next Marvel film from release to watch how fast Disney complies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/world/asia/simpsons-hk.html

If I was China I would ask them to memory hole Winnie the Pooh,either they dont do it and China has a line / future goal to succeed at, or they do it and its a big alpha chad win for them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I liked it when it was on and think the quality is still good but feel no need to go back for a rewatch of favorite seasons, like I do for Simpsons or King of the Hill.

I actually really like Benders Big Score as well, but I've been watching old eps with my kids and I find them kind of boring. It sucks because I was a huge fan. I even have a copy if the ultra rare ps2 game somewhere in my basement, which was surprisingly fun!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I looked it up and apparently Mona formally appears in 9 episodes. Nine loving episodes, for a character that should've appeared in only one, ending with the heartrending sequence of Homer finally getting closure on his mother's disappearance but also wondering if she will ever see her again.
Goddamn just remembering that credit sequence slays me.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

You Are A Elf posted:

I'd honestly and without exaggeration say Futurama is tied with Trek TNG for me for 'greatest series finale of all time.' Like it's not necessarily the greatest series of all time, either of them, but both are kind of fantastic episodes that provide a sense of closure while still paradoxically giving you the idea that things will continue - even if we aren't seeing them - but not to worry because our fave characters will be just fine. Both are really solid episodes in and of themselves, as well, that encapsulate as microcosms a lot of what made people fall in love with their series in the first place.

And in both cases, years later, the shows were brought back in horrible forms that ruin everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bobjr posted:

Speaking of Futurama, this is pretty much one of the biggest real differences between that and the Simpsons, I always thought.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'd honestly and without exaggeration say Futurama is tied with Trek TNG for me for 'greatest series finale of all time.' Like it's not necessarily the greatest series of all time, either of them, but both are kind of fantastic episodes that provide a sense of closure while still paradoxically giving you the idea that things will continue - even if we aren't seeing them - but not to worry because our fave characters will be just fine. Both are really solid episodes in and of themselves, as well, that encapsulate as microcosms a lot of what made people fall in love with their series in the first place.

And in both cases, years later, the shows were brought back in horrible forms that ruin everything.

Futurama wound up with 4 series finales. The most recent one was alright.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I looked it up and apparently Mona formally appears in 9 episodes. Nine loving episodes, for a character that should've appeared in only one, ending with the heartrending sequence of Homer finally getting closure on his mother's disappearance but also wondering if she will ever see her again.
Goddamn just remembering that credit sequence slays me.

After you mentioned it, I couldn't help but go and watch a clip of that episode's ending. And you're so right that it almost hurts. That should have been the very last that we saw of Mona. We see her actually pass away in a future episode, and I don't remember any of that packing so much as a fraction of the heart and sadness that we get in that one single scene of Homer alone, quietly gazing up at the stars.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FunkyAl posted:

I think Bender's Big Score was good, but they should have made it like a real movie.

Yeah, the big problem with the "movies" was the mandate that they be split up into chunks so that Comedy Central could just air them as separate episodes. Which ended up making them feel like they were just semi related episodes and not really movies.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I have never seen the Comic Book Guys wife in an episode (I think I learned of her existence in this thread) , but going by the timing, I'd wager it was them riding the coattails of BBT which would be pretty drat low.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the big problem with the "movies" was the mandate that they be split up into chunks so that Comedy Central could just air them as separate episodes. Which ended up making them feel like they were just semi related episodes and not really movies.

Is that true? They don't seem to cut up into chunks well in the slightest if that's what they were going for. I remember the DVD version hung together just fine. They weren't very good, but they seemed like whole intact movies. Except maybe the third one that was just a huge mess.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Another Bill posted:

I actually really like Benders Big Score as well, but I've been watching old eps with my kids and I find them kind of boring. It sucks because I was a huge fan. I even have a copy if the ultra rare ps2 game somewhere in my basement, which was surprisingly fun!

the cutscenes are available... uh, cut together on the YouTube. it's an amusing watch.

PostNouveau posted:

Is that true? They don't seem to cut up into chunks well in the slightest if that's what they were going for. I remember the DVD version hung together just fine. They weren't very good, but they seemed like whole intact movies. Except maybe the third one that was just a huge mess.

it has to do with the story beats. every one would really be better as a real movie, i think.

on the plus/minus side, the movies contain some footage the episodes don't, and vice versa.

but it's like 45 seconds tops, either way

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Speaking of Futurama, this is pretty much one of the biggest real differences between that and the Simpsons, I always thought.

Oh yeah I heard someone (maybe a Simpsons writer, might have been Groening) observe that they didn’t have enough young people on Simpsons and that limited their storytelling. So when making Futurama made sure to have plenty of 20 somethings for the stories they wanted to tell.

Another Bill posted:

I actually really like Benders Big Score as well, but I've been watching old eps with my kids and I find them kind of boring. It sucks because I was a huge fan.

Yeah I liked it a lot when it was on, but trying to go back and seeing that for every fun sci fi time travel ep or space adventure we get way too much New York content or references that didn’t age well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When Bender's Big Score came out, I was working at GameCrazy where we had a PS3 hooked up to a tv so I popped in whatever I wanted to watch. BBS had a full length episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad. One day I played it over and over again for shits and giggles. Kids would always come up and quietly stare at it for minutes at a time.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PostNouveau posted:

Futurama wound up with 4 series finales. The most recent one was alright.

Yeah. I meant the original one; The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

wait, wasn't that actually a GOOD retcon?

surely you didn't want fry's dog to waste the rest of his life waiting for an owner than never came, do you? :saddumb:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's the coward's way out

Like if you're writing Victor/Victoria, maybe leave out the scene where he sneaks into her bathroom and learns that she's actually a woman so his being in love with her isn't brave after all

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Data Graham posted:

It's the coward's way out

Like if you're writing Victor/Victoria, maybe leave out the scene where he sneaks into her bathroom and learns that she's actually a woman so his being in love with her isn't brave after all

I'll make sure to tell Blake Edwards this tomorrow.

Oh, wait, he died in 2010.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'll make sure to tell Blake Edwards this tomorrow.

Oh, wait, he died in 2010.

well get digging, we have more notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, wasn't that actually a GOOD retcon?

surely you didn't want fry's dog to waste the rest of his life waiting for an owner than never came, do you? :saddumb:

It undermines the very sad and affecting ending for some cheap fanservice, so I'd have to say no