Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheeljack posted:

They have no way to deal with something happening twice, when it's obvious it might happen again, like turning on magnetic boots, since beaming on clothing is a thing and morphable space suits are also a thing, one that everyone seems to wear? No programmable matter bar to hook their feet over to stay in place?

Just a magnet on a piece of string would do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Seatbelts, literally

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Erulisse posted:

Seatbelts, literally

Unsafe at Any Warp Speed

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

I don't think they even think about it that specifically so much as they just go 'this is what modern sci fi looks like' as a given. It's all so very generic. Modern sci-fi is semitransparent very thin lined largely single hued holographic user interfaces hovering in a flat plane in front of the user, so that has to be what they do to 'update' things.

I theorize part of it is also that there are a million more SFX houses, freelancers, software templates, techniques, standing sets, etc. floating around in Hollywood now than ever before specializing in sci fi, and they all specialize in these sorts of looks. And it's probably easier to reach for one of them than to reinvent the wheel.

But yeah, I agree, I also think there is just a tacit underatanding that this is what sci fi looks like now. Trek used to set that standard, but it's been eclipsed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I don't know if I'd say Trek set the standard, Trek always felt very different from popular sci-fi to me. From the uniforms, to the colorful, warm interiors, like standard sci-fi at the time of TNG was Alien or Star Wars not TNG. Metal corridors, open industry, beaten down conditions, those are what I'd call old standard sci fi and Trek was the opposite. In truth I liked Trek because it felt like a different vision of the future, and it's a shame it's now following 'what sci-fi is'

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Trek is actually more retro, it wears the 30s, 40s, and 50s influences on its sleeve. Dashing heroes, simple uniforms, weird aliens, color because color tvs now exist. Even TNG is just an extension of the 70s version of this, which you saw a lot of in The Motion Picture. The dirty ships and metal corridors and deadly aliens are all later influences, Star Wars, Alien/s, and Blade Runner specifically. Modern Trek looks better when it looks more like classic Trek and doesn't try to ape other modern series that have their own vibes. Star Trek also (mostly) bucks the current trend of dystopian science fiction in favor of old school hopeful science fiction when science and exploring was cool and what real heroes did. Which is good because I don't want to read about dystopias while living in one, thanks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and there is no shortage of post-apocalyptic fiction either

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Trek is actually more retro, it wears the 30s, 40s, and 50s influences on its sleeve. Dashing heroes, simple uniforms, weird aliens, color because color tvs now exist. Even TNG is just an extension of the 70s version of this, which you saw a lot of in The Motion Picture. The dirty ships and metal corridors and deadly aliens are all later influences, Star Wars, Alien/s, and Blade Runner specifically. Modern Trek looks better when it looks more like classic Trek and doesn't try to ape other modern series that have their own vibes. Star Trek also (mostly) bucks the current trend of dystopian science fiction in favor of old school hopeful science fiction when science and exploring was cool and what real heroes did. Which is good because I don't want to read about dystopias while living in one, thanks.

You summed up what I love about Trek better than I did, thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Star Trek has always been post-apocalyptic*-- it just took the unique angle that we'd dust ourselves off and pick back up to an even brighter future instead of wallowing atavistically in the ruins fighting over the broken scraps.

E: and that the immediate post apocalypse WASNT the interesting part of the setting, just an offhand bit of background.

*well in the /very/ beginning the setting Bible was practically empty. "earth space probe agency" and all that.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 29, 2021

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
a lot of it just comes down to budget, it's much cheaper to rent an industrial building, bathe it in dim light and dress all your characters in grungy leather than it is to make a bunch of bright, bespoke sets and props and uniforms

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Which is weird because the Enterprise D aesthetic was a very much "mall atrium connected to a Ramada Inn."

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tars Tarkas posted:

Okay where do I pay to be able to cram all this into a thread title
Jeffplz

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

speaking of the cost of props, the Ex Astris Scientia article about the ubiquity of plastic freezer spacers in Trek set design is fun because now whenever I rewatch TNG or DS9 I notice them almost everywhere

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

The Chairman posted:

speaking of the cost of props, the Ex Astris Scientia article about the ubiquity of plastic freezer spacers in Trek set design is fun because now whenever I rewatch TNG or DS9 I notice them almost everywhere

These direct links from EAS always give me a 403 error

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Erulisse posted:

These direct links from EAS always give me a 403 error

yeah, he does some weird poo poo with referrers, he only whitelists a few specific sites apparently

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Incognito mode gets around it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the first three episodes of Star Trek: Prodigy. "Star Wars transitioning into Star Trek" as a floor for expectations had me intrigued, and it was pretty good. All the protagonists except Dal were great, and Zero in particular had a lot of good lines. The only thing about Jankom Pog I don't like is that speaking in third person, as a shorthand for either egotism or barbarianism, is overdone

The Bloop posted:

Their language has a word for starboard, they just don't know it

I view greenhorn as enough of an anachronism that is like Klingons saying QAPLA!

I think I learned "greenhorn" from an episode of Freakazoid with a bull-man villain making a pun, and then in some TV show episode in a trucker context

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galenanorth posted:

I watched the first three episodes of Star Trek: Prodigy. "Star Wars transitioning into Star Trek" as a floor for expectations had me intrigued, and it was pretty good. All the protagonists except Dal were great, and Zero in particular had a lot of good lines. The only thing about Jankom Pog I don't like is that speaking in third person, as a shorthand for either egotism or barbarianism, is overdone

I think I learned "greenhorn" from an episode of Freakazoid with a bull-man villain making a pun, and then in some TV show episode in a trucker context

Dal being a shithead right now is 100% intentional and he is at least showing signs of slowly growing into being a better person and a proper captain with actual experience, so I'm a little more willing to forgive his various excesses right now vs. a lot of folks in this thread.

You're right about Zero though, they are the best.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Erulisse posted:

Seatbelts, literally

Nah, they can't put seatbelts in now, or they'd have to address "Why didn't they do that before?" We've seen crew get sucked out into space when the bridge was breached in Nemesis, for a start.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wheeljack posted:

Nah, they can't put seatbelts in now, or they'd have to address "Why didn't they do that before?" We've seen crew get sucked out into space when the bridge was breached in Nemesis, for a start.

Excuse me,

Blown out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

I don't know if I'd say Trek set the standard, Trek always felt very different from popular sci-fi to me. From the uniforms, to the colorful, warm interiors, like standard sci-fi at the time of TNG was Alien or Star Wars not TNG. Metal corridors, open industry, beaten down conditions, those are what I'd call old standard sci fi and Trek was the opposite. In truth I liked Trek because it felt like a different vision of the future, and it's a shame it's now following 'what sci-fi is'

I think you could say TNG was a standard setter - after TNG launched, by the mid 90s, there was a distinct movement in how a lot of sci-fi looked towards the TNG look. Not quite as bright, but still brighter than it was before, all the computers being (usually much worse looking) okudagram esque pretend-touch panels, so on.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Wheeljack posted:

This is the future, if you fall out of your chair your personal transporter will beam you back into it before you hit the wall and go splat

That's why the bridge is full of flamethrowers, because the aliens running the transporter database only work for BBQ

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

I think you could say TNG was a standard setter - after TNG launched, by the mid 90s, there was a distinct movement in how a lot of sci-fi looked towards the TNG look. Not quite as bright, but still brighter than it was before, all the computers being (usually much worse looking) okudagram esque pretend-touch panels, so on.

I sort of blame the TNG movies for dropping the ball on keeping the conventional Trek aesthetic going. First Contact (as much as I like the design for that particular movie) was really where Trek started becoming disinterested in the bright future aesthetic and it never really recovered from there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I sort of blame the TNG movies for dropping the ball on keeping the conventional Trek aesthetic going. First Contact (as much as I like the design for that particular movie) was really where Trek started becoming disinterested in the bright future aesthetic and it never really recovered from there.

Not quite; Enterprise made an honest go of returning to the bright future aesthetic for the first two seasons, but then 9/11 happened. It did try to swing back to it with some redesigned sets with adding brighter secondary coloration to the bridge and corridors for season 4 aaaand then it got canned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite; Enterprise made an honest go of returning to the bright future aesthetic for the first two seasons, but then 9/11 happened. It did try to swing back to it with some redesigned sets with adding brighter secondary coloration to the bridge and corridors for season 4 aaaand then it got canned.

I still can't believe they actually went and made Actual 9/11 a canonical background element of the Star Trek universe in addition to Space 9/11.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just started watching the new season over the weekend and haven't read impressions yet. Is it just me or is the new season of Discovery worse than the last one so far?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spacebump posted:

I just started watching the new season over the weekend and haven't read impressions yet. Is it just me or is the new season of Discovery worse than the last one so far?
Too early to tell, but I liked the part of last season where we got to see what had happened to various planets. This season hasn’t had any of that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Spacebump posted:

I couldn't even finish the first episode, it was that much worse

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spacebump posted:

It's you

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

so far, season 4 is more Discovery, and either you're OK with that or it's just as bad as it's ever been

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FlamingLiberal posted:

Too early to tell, but I liked the part of last season where we got to see what had happened to various planets. This season hasn’t had any of that.

Hey, obviously they're saving something really cool for the future Klingons, just you wait!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This season has been kind of boring with some doofy action thrown in, but like, compared to this point last season there seems to be less hair-pulling and hands throwing-up. Like, nothing here to really sway anyone's general reception of Disco, but remember last season? I barely do but when I do I'm getting snippets of even the first two episodes being full of "what ,why is this how why would even and then they did what for why, wait shes here, oh why shes being like that, hes doing what now and not going to stop these okay oh wtf" like it was jarring even when you're trying your hardest to like it and becomes stuff you forget, especially since none of it's important later afaik? Did that badguy show up again later, did they have to mess with the uhhh, arbitrary psychic ice or whatever?

i do remember thinking the s3 premiere would be an okay burnham bounty hunter show, removed from disco or trek and im fuzzy on when the disco crew showed up in the seasonnow.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Brawnfire posted:

Hey, obviously they're saving something really cool for the future Klingons, just you wait!

They missed such a huge opportunity last season. They should have had the Klingons be who was holding the future Federation together.

The Chairman posted:

so far, season 4 is more Discovery, and either you're OK with that or it's just as bad as it's ever been

Last season started out well and then backslid around the halfway point. It probably has the most episodes I liked of any season.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Klingons are all three apples tall now and no one comments on it, even Worf who is alive somehow is smurf sized and is married to the president lady. "This time my wife won't die horribly!" says Worf seconds before she is killed by John Wilkes Booth, who is also alive somehow. "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" Worf yells again and jumps to the future, smaller and smaller each year.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wilkes Boothby

Someone has definitely made that joke in one of these threads but the context is long forgotten

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Klingons are all three apples tall now and no one comments on it, even Worf who is alive somehow is smurf sized and is married to the president lady. "This time my wife won't die horribly!" says Worf seconds before she is killed by John Wilkes Booth, who is also alive somehow. "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" Worf yells again and jumps to the future, smaller and smaller each year.

Is this supposed to be bad, because I wish we got poo poo like this.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

For a brief second I thought the John Wilkes Booth thing was ridiculous, but then I remember that Jack the Ripper canonically killed people in TOS. I still think it's ridiculous, but at least it's plausibly ridiculous.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

At this point it's hard to be even disappointed with Discovery. I have come to expect so little from it and it very much justifies my expectations with every new installment.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Discovery peaked with The Sound of Thunder. For the first 30 minutes it feels like you're watching an episode of Star Trek. Then the crew starts a race war and has to be bailed out by the Red Angel, and you remember what show you're watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Episode 1 is great and I, this thread's only Discovery liker, am fully convinced that anyone who complains about how they gave up thirty minutes in watched the episode with the express purpose of giving up thirty minutes in and complaining about it.

Please feel free to hate episode 2, which I rate as "would be fantastic if they'd stick to the loving plot".

e: Modern Star Trek Megathread: Would be fantastic if they'd stick to the loving plot.

blastron fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 1, 2021