Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fedule posted:

Wait, was that even worse originally? Because the localised one was pretty loving dumb.

(I've probably forgotten tons of stuff about Other M like this)

Apparently the Japanese version of that whole trashfire is Samus just refusing to turn her Varia Suit on because she wants to proof how tough she is to Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That is less offensively sexist and stupid than waiting for Adam’s express permission to use her superpowers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Fedule posted:

Wait, was that even worse originally? Because the localised one was pretty loving dumb.

(I've probably forgotten tons of stuff about Other M like this)

Basically instead of Adam just suddenly deciding you get to live by enabling your Varia Suit in the middle of the lava section instead of before, Samus is basically ordered not to go to that sector. The way she handles it is by just going there without turning on her Varia Suit to technically follow orders or something to the letter without actually violating them. Yeah I dunno. :psyduck: The end result is that Adam authorizing the suit is basically him yelling at her to stop being a dumbass and just turn on the goddamn suit to avoid getting cooked.

Up to you on which version is worse cause even that version is pretty bad. (Or at the very least belongs in an entirely different game.)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Araxxor posted:

Basically instead of Adam just suddenly deciding you get to live by enabling your Varia Suit in the middle of the lava section instead of before, Samus is basically ordered not to go to that sector. The way she handles it is by just going there without turning on her Varia Suit to technically follow orders or something to the letter without actually violating them. Yeah I dunno. :psyduck: The end result is that Adam authorizing the suit is basically him yelling at her to stop being a dumbass and just turn on the goddamn suit to avoid getting cooked.

Up to you on which version is worse cause even that version is pretty bad. (Or at the very least belongs in an entirely different game.)

From what I understood there was a lot more friction between Samus and Adam/the rest of the Feds in the Japanese script, and she basically did that be all like "you can't control me your not my real CO or dad!"

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

That’s kind of my problem with folks arguing that Other M would have been better with a better translation or whatever. It might be technically better, but it still doesn’t fix the actual problems inherent to the game, as you still have these same bad story beats being addressed, and better versions of the voice lines ain’t fixing that. The whole drat story needs to be completely redone.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 30, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Other M bad.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Playing a 3D action platforner using the equivalent of an NES paddle because it's one narcissist's artistic vision.

Also:

THE DELETER

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MokBa posted:

Playing a 3D action platforner using the equivalent of an NES paddle because it's one narcissist's artistic vision.

Also:

THE DELETER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K_Vi4qCtY

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Looks like mercury steam's next game is an rpg

https://www.ign.com/articles/metroid-dread-developer-now-working-on-a-dark-fantasy-rpg?amp=1

I was hoping they'd go right into another metroid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm kinda glad they're not. I mean, I don't want another near-decade wait, but giving them a few years to let new ideas percolate is probably a good idea.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 30, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Other M Samus was both a shrinking, fragile flower, and a bratty, contrary teenager, moreso the former in English and the latter in Japanese. Reminder that Sakamoto voice directed the English translation an nixed Jennifer Hale as the voice of Samus because she was so good an actor that she managed to sell Samus' terrible lines, which defied his artistic vision.

Arguing which version was better is like arguing if you'd rather eat cat or dog turds imho

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Other M makes so much more sense if you imagine it was originally a hypothetical pre-Zero Mission origin story that somehow got re-tooled into being a Super Metroid sequel. A young Samus still in the Federation chain of command, inexperienced and unsure, chafing under the orders of a gruff CO and facing her childhood traumas for the first time before the events of the game lead into her going independent as a Bounty Hunter.

But I guess if you did that there canonically wouldn't be any actual metroids or Mother Brain shenanigans in it, so whoops.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Orange Crush Rush posted:

From what I understood there was a lot more friction between Samus and Adam/the rest of the Feds in the Japanese script, and she basically did that be all like "you can't control me your not my real CO or dad!"

The english script also seems to favor Adam way more, giving Samus lines that indicate that she needs to redeem herself in his eyes or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Other M makes so much more sense if you imagine it was originally a hypothetical pre-Zero Mission origin story that somehow got re-tooled into being a Super Metroid sequel. A young Samus still in the Federation chain of command, inexperienced and unsure, chafing under the orders of a gruff CO and facing her childhood traumas for the first time before the events of the game lead into her going independent as a Bounty Hunter.
God, that'd actually almost make it okay. Instead of it being character assassination, JP Other M would be a look at what Samus used to be like, and maybe even why she flies solo instead of working with the Federation. Like, she was canonically a teenager when she started, and teenagers can be pretty loving stupid. Especially traumatized ones.

It'd need to be petulant, emotional Other M Samus, though. The English version can't be rescued without a complete rework.

Asterite34 posted:

But I guess if you did that there canonically wouldn't be any actual metroids or Mother Brain shenanigans in it, so whoops.
Nintendo's rarely super concerned with keeping their timelines consistent, anyways. Worst case scenario, it's a what-if/elseworld origin story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly they have a pretty good explanation for why you use Metroids without the monsters.

"Metroid is the Chozo word for 'Ultimate Warrior' and thus refers to the biggest badass Chozo in the room, i.e: Samus."

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

girl dick energy posted:

I'm kinda glad they're not. I mean, I don't want another near-decade wait, but giving them a few years to let new ideas percolate is probably a good idea.

But I want another game NOW :negative:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Asterite34 posted:

That's part of what makes Other M so dumb. The story you're describing already did exist and it even featured Mother Brain. And a better version of Adam.

Young, impulsive Samus joins the federation military and is the type to disobery orders, but get stuff done. Her direct superiors hate it, but Adam is high ranking and clearly respects and trusts Samus. Mother Brain betrays the Chozo and takes over the space pirates, who are invading her Chozo home, Zebes. Adam gives her information and chooses to look the other way as she runs off to Zebes. Seeing Ridley for the first time triggers her blocked memory of a lot of hosed up stuff from when she was like 3 and she freaks out, but gets over it. Story ends with her growing into the cool, confident Samus and going off to start Zero Mission.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if Samus will have the dread suit in the next smash

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'd hope so, though that's so far in the future it's hard to tell where they will take it. Prime 4 should be out by then, and if that starts with the classic look, they may stick with that. Alternatively, they could have half her alts be classic armor, half the organic Fusion/Dread look. In any case, I hope the final suit from Dread is referenced, either as a distinct model or at least a recolor. The current green alt in Ultimate is fairly close, only missing the red visor.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 1, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Fusion was "the most chonologically recent metroid" for 3 smash games and only ever got a trophy/spirit so I kind of doubt it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Absolutely baffled at this missile tank in Elun.

It's like, you need power bombs to get the missile tank, but also there's a power bomb tank just sitting below this that you can roll up and get on your first trip through. In fact, this missile tank is the only pickup you can't get on the first trip through. It's exactly backwards! They should've committed to the bit properly, put the power bomb tanks in more secure spots, and let you have early power bombs if you manage to break into one. Cowards.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

glitchwraith posted:

I'd hope so, though that's so far in the future it's hard to tell where they will take it. Prime 4 should be out by then, and if that starts with the classic look, they may stick with that. Alternatively, they could have half her alts be classic armor, half the organic Fusion/Dread look. In any case, I hope the final suit from Dread is referenced, either as a distinct model or at least a recolor. The current green alt in Ultimate is fairly close, only missing the red visor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they let you wear the Dread suit in Prime 4 as a bonus for having Dread save data on your Switch. Kind of like the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime the first.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Fusion was "the most chonologically recent metroid" for 3 smash games and only ever got a trophy/spirit so I kind of doubt it

They also used it's color scheme for one of the alts.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they let you wear the Dread suit in Prime 4 as a bonus for having Dread save data on your Switch. Kind of like the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime the first.

That would be great.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Dread did so many things right that it's hard to pick a favorite part, but I think it might be one of the best examples of minimalist storytelling through gameplay I've ever seen. The pre-boss cutscenes all show Samus being an unstoppable badass *and* teach you how to beat the boss at the same time, and by the time you've learned their pattern well enough to beat them, that cutscene is almost indistinguishable from the gameplay of the fight itself. Ending spoilers: even the first encounter with Raven Beak at the very start of the game shows her kicking his rear end exactly the way you'll fight his first phase at the very end.

Put another way, Samus (the character) is canonically speedrunning and/or sequence breaking the game like it's that TerminalMontage video about Super Metroid, and the better you get at the game, the more you get to see her character as it was intended. More ending spoilers: It's a little speculative, but I think it's also strongly implied that Samus figured out the ADAM/Raven Beak twist a long time before it's actually revealed to the player, which is a neat bit of reverse dramatic irony.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You could make a case that she knew from the very moment he called her 'Samus' instead of 'Lady.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

You could make a case that she knew from the very moment he called her 'Samus' instead of 'Lady.'

I think that is probably accurate considering how important the opposite was in Fusion

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey Dread-Heads,

Is there a smarter way to buy the Amiibo for this game than just dropping $30 at GameStop? Never bought Amiibo before but I really love Dread and want the toys.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Probably not? I haven't paid much attention to Amiibo in a while, but I assume there is still enough of a collector scene that once Nintendo stops making them they'll probably go up in price. And Nintendo isn't likely to drop the price themselves, just going to come down to if some store decides to put them on sale.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You could wait until scalpers buy them all up and then pay $100+ for them on ebay?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Specifically are you looking for the actual figures and you don't really care too much about the Amiibo effect on the game? Or do you mainly want the effect and don't really care about the toy part?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mostly just really want the extra missiles and energy tank. I’m deffo a big nerd but I’m not a Funko Pop and Action Figures style nerd (I collect magic cards and comic books, not a judgement!!!!), but Samus is my favorite Nintendo character and actually having the little doo-dads for $15ish standing guard over my video game consoles might be nice :unsmith:.

I have never played with or used Amiibo before, this is literally my first time ever thinking about them, so I don’t know how they work, ha ha

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Search for Metroid dread amiibo cards. They recreate the effect of the chip but they don't have the toy attached. And I believe you can get a full set of eight for less than the cost of the double set of figures

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bust Rodd posted:

I have never played with or used Amiibo before, this is literally my first time ever thinking about them, so I don’t know how they work, ha ha

They're 95% plastic figure and 5% standard NFC tags, just little bits of wire that get powered wirelessly and broadcast a blip of data to whatever powered it. Real easy to fake, it's not proprietary tech, so you can get pre-written cards or dynamic NFC widgets that let you switch "which NFC it's broadcasting" and ignore the figure if you're so inclined.

If you want any amiibo figure then your best bet is to just get it asap, it's scalper heaven and Nintendo famously underproduces them even before we start talking about pandemic induced supply chain issues, you'll effectively never see the popular ones for less than MSRP.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

I mostly just really want the extra missiles and energy tank. I’m deffo a big nerd but I’m not a Funko Pop and Action Figures style nerd (I collect magic cards and comic books, not a judgement!!!!), but Samus is my favorite Nintendo character and actually having the little doo-dads for $15ish standing guard over my video game consoles might be nice :unsmith:.

CainFortea posted:

Search for Metroid dread amiibo cards. They recreate the effect of the chip but they don't have the toy attached. And I believe you can get a full set of eight for less than the cost of the double set of figures

Seconding CainFortea. I actually like the figurines and think they're cool, but I'm not going to pay scalper prices for them. I got the pair of Dread cards for $15ish shipped through Amazon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Raven Beak being a good dad. :allears:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

So I've beaten Dread a few times in the time it's taken my six year old to work up the courage to defeat the broken EMMI. They decided to play around in one of my saved games and ended up teaching me a thing or two:

• You can slide under Muzbys (pink crabs) instead if melee countering them, if you want to
  • Dying at the same time you kill the second Chozo Robot still clears the boss fight
  • You can shoot ice missiles to freeze the "shy" mushroom platforms
  • Enemies can exit through doors but apparently won't exist on the other side
  • Farming health from respawning crawlers for minutes is within a six-year-old's attention span but not mine
  • Raven Beak's motivation for fighting Samus is clear: He's a really bad guy and likes being mean to Samus
  • Pretending to be an EMMI to scare dad is fun, dad pretending to be an EMMI is some kind of war crime

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Denying my son’s parry because it wasn’t frame perfect

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

edit - meh

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 5, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Bust Rodd posted:

Denying my son’s parry because it wasn’t frame perfect

When I die my son's gonna get the morph ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Just bought Metroid: Dread and now I have crippling anxiety.