Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

EngineerJoe posted:

No, they used the not-withstanding clause.
Sure would be nice if they suffered any consequences whatsoever from that.

But alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Albino Squirrel posted:

But alas.

The trouble with the notwithstanding clause is that the whole point is that there are no legal consequences for using it, it's a "get out of constitution free" card. It's one of those things where the consequences are supposed to be "well the voters won't like it". Because we all know that voters make their decisions based on high-minded principles of responsible government rather than "more power for my side".

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"Democracy"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

But alas.

Their consequences come from the voters.

hahahahahaha

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
One of the many things Svend Robinson was right about. And another example of provincial governments being the worst.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Councilor Scott Green of Latchford, Ontario has launched an ambitious bid to be known as the worst politician in Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudb...k&ICID=ref_fark

Reports are that he launched a social media campaign against his small, remote town's only doctor. The councilor objected to the physician's refusal to treated the unvaccinated. Got people to report her to the CPSO and everything.

:ironicat:

Turns out she was treating the unvaccinated the whole time! At considerable risk to herself, as that included people with active COVID-19! All that in the past tense, mind you, as they ran her out of town. Now no one has a doctor.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Honestly, good for that doctor. She doesn't need any of that poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/mlas-assistant-claimed-by-covid-19-575831142.html

quote:

The constituency assistant of a Manitoba cabinet minister who has refused to reveal his COVID-19 immunization status has died from the virus, sparking allegations the MLA's influence, in part, led her to reject the vaccine.

Gladys Hayward Williams died Nov. 18 after battling COVID-19, a source close to the family told the Free Press Monday. She worked for Infrastructure Minister and Springfield-Ritchot MLA Ron Schuler, the only member of the legislature who has refused to divulge his vaccination status.

"She died as a direct result of the misinformation that had been fed to her by Ron Schuler as well as others in the community," said the source.

"I feel upset about what happened and I don't want this to happen to anybody else," the source said, without pointing to any specific misinformation Hayward Williams received.

Schuler's office refused to comment on Hayward Williams' death.

"Out of respect for the family we will not provide comment. In addition, providing false and misleading information to your readers doesn’t help the family with their grieving," said the statement, which did not elaborate on what information was false and misleading.

Hayward Williams, 70, was "perfectly healthy" until contracting the virus then dying in St. Boniface Hospital, the source said. She wasn't vaccinated in spite of being urged to do so by those closest to her, they said. She is survived by her husband, R.M. of Springfield councillor Peter Williams, three children and seven grandchildren.

"This is preventable — this is tragic," said the source, who felt the cause of her death is being "covered up... The truth should be out there."

Hayward Williams' obituary makes no mention of her having COVID-19 and doesn't mention Schuler by name, only that she worked as a constituency assistant "to the MLA."

The source questioned Schuler's motive for not commenting on his assistant's death.

"I feel that it's being done not out of respect for the family, but trying to not make Schuler look bad."

Schuler has refused to comment on his vaccination status — even after Premier Heather Stefanson announced it will be mandatory for anyone entering the legislature as soon as Dec. 15. The infrastructure minister has declined to say what he plans to do when only those fully vaccinated can attend the building.

"Is he going to move his office permanently to his home?" asked NDP house leader Nahanni Fontaine, who said Schuler has for months refused to disclose his vaccination status.

"It doesn't make sense. We're in the fourth wave, a new variant is on the rise and you have one single holdout in your caucus who has a ministerial position and a sacred responsibility to protect Manitobans and doesn't want to get vaccinated," said the member for St. Johns. She said Stefanson should have already ejected Schuler from caucus.

"At this point kick him out already," said the NDP justice critic, who accused the Progressive Conservative government of "capitulating to its base."

The source close to Hayward Williams said Schuler is trying to "ride the fence" by not speaking up for or against COVID-19 vaccination.

"He's got to pick a side of the fence (and say) 'Yes, I'm fully vaccinated and yes, I feel it's important and all my constituents should go out and get vaccinated. I'm going to support that and make efforts to try and make sure that happens' or 'No, I'm sorry. I'm anti-vax and don't think getting one is right' and put that out there," they said.

"He's trying to ride the fence and get voters from both sides and I don't think that's right. I'm going to try and push him off the fence."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Andrea Horwath seems to have remembered there's an election in Ontario next year. It's not much, but it's a start, and at least they're starting now instead of acting like they're caught off guard by an election that's been roughly scheduled for four years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Honestly, good for that doctor. She doesn't need any of that poo poo.

yeah she's going to take care of her like 96 year old dad, write a book, and maybe pick up some extra shifts.

much better for her, big loss for the community. whoopsie!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

infernal machines posted:

Andrea Horwath seems to have remembered there's an election in Ontario next year. It's not much, but it's a start, and at least they're starting now instead of acting like they're caught off guard by an election that's been roughly scheduled for four years.

I really wish she'd step down as leader. Not that I really take any major issue with her or her policies, but she's lost so many times I just don't think she's the person to bring the NDP into government in Ontario. Especially after the last election. Losing that much has its own type of baggage that a lot of people just won't go for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

keep it down up there! posted:

I really wish she'd step down as leader. Not that I really take any major issue with her or her policies, but she's lost so many times I just don't think she's the person to bring the NDP into government in Ontario. Especially after the last election. Losing that much has its own type of baggage that a lot of people just won't go for.

You say this, but the ONDP faithful will point out that she's led them consecutively to their best showings since the Rae government.

She hasn't "lost" per se, she just hasn't won anything either. It's just not enough to actually form a government in this province. Maybe someone else could do better, but I'd be hard pressed to name anyone off the top of my head.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Fair point. I honestly can't think of anyone either.

But with politics today you really need an exciting leader if you want to make advances. I don't think Horwath is that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Yeah, they released some housing stuff as well, which is predictably the lame sort of "let's build some more stuff and blame foreign investment" type measures that every party has to do because it's political suicide to say that real estate going up forever and ever by tens of percentage points is unsustainable.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Horwath is awful and incrementally larger seat counts really mean jack poo poo for your voters when the other guys keep getting majorities.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blood on his hands. He killed her. loving bastard.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

DynamicSloth posted:

Horwath is awful and incrementally larger seat counts really mean jack poo poo for your voters when the other guys keep getting majorities.

I don't really have super high hopes that there's anyone currently in the Ontario NDP that would do much better. I'm not exactly over the moon with Horwath, but I think the NDPs main problems in winning a majority go beyond her specifically.

Singh could have been a good ONDP leader if he stuck around provincially. Outside of that, there's just not a big bench for the bush league of the team that always loses.

I genuinely think the ONDP could get a solid showing with an actually decent, progressive housing plan, but they would have to win on the backs of solely progressive urban areas, nothing is going to turn the suburbs against you like suggesting that their goose egg should maybe go down (or even not go up) in value.

Or hell, healthcare. Even chuddy people are talking about how lovely our healthcare system is since it threatens to keep them from their indoor appetizers at Boston Pizza.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 30, 2021

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

enki42 posted:

I don't really have super high hopes that there's anyone currently in the Ontario NDP that would do much better. I'm not exactly over the moon with Horwath, but I think the NDPs main problems in winning a majority go beyond her specifically.

Singh could have been a good ONDP leader if he stuck around provincially. Outside of that, there's just not a big bench for the bush league of the team that always loses.

I genuinely think the ONDP could get a solid showing with an actually decent, progressive housing plan, but they would have to win on the backs of solely progressive urban areas, nothing is going to turn the suburbs against you like suggesting that their goose egg should maybe go down (or even not go up) in value.

Or hell, healthcare. Even chuddy people are talking about how lovely our healthcare system is since it threatens to keep them from their indoor appetizers at Boston Pizza.

There is literally a Singh ready to go, Jagmeet's way cooler brother, wtf is wrong with you people

quote:

Singh ignited controversy days before the 2018 election when a photo of him holding a poster reading "gently caress the Police" in a 2006 Facebook post surfaced. NDP leader Andrea Horwath defended Singh and allowed Singh to remain a member of the NDP, saying "That's a sign that's despicable".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

DynamicSloth posted:

You say this, but the ONDP faithful will point out that she's led them consecutively to their best showings since the Rae government.

She hasn't "lost" per se, she just hasn't won anything either. It's just not enough to actually form a government in this province. Maybe someone else could do better, but I'd be hard pressed to name anyone off the top of my head.
After the last election, there were people posting here, unironically, that a few more elections with incremental gains and the ONDP will form the government.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another 20 maybe 30 years and we're in majority territory, baby!

The real question is, can you form a government with just Toronto, Hamilton, and those three ridings up north that cover like 60% of the landmass of the province?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 30, 2021

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mr. Apollo posted:

After the last election, there were people posting here, unironically, that a few more elections with incremental gains and the ONDP will form the government.

Yeah I'll admit it - it was me. I thought there was momentum. There isn't. She's a loving landlord and has continually misstepped and moved the NDP further away from a worker's party into some weird pseudo liberal party.

At this point you might as well merge the two parties together to just loving defeat Doug.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The OLP was and will again be capable of defeating the PCPO, especially after Doug Ford spent the last two years pissing off every single voting bloc in the province. Ideally, we want a party that is in some way better than the OLP, because the OLP already exists.

I don't really believe the ONDP is that party, but they're the other option right now. You can see where my standards are though, since I was impressed by the fact that they're trying to communicate something about policy in advance of the election. That is literally an improvement for them.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 30, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

OLP and ONDP have their attack ads written and ready to go

"Remember when The Coward Douglas Ford let your grandma die covered in poo poo drowning in her lungs? We do."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

Yeah I'll admit it - it was me. I thought there was momentum. There isn't. She's a loving landlord and has continually misstepped and moved the NDP further away from a worker's party into some weird pseudo liberal party.

At this point you might as well merge the two parties together to just loving defeat Doug.

The NDP both provincially and federally are now parties for centrists that don't have capital to protect.

There literally is no party left for leftists to throw their vote at.

It's probably why turnout is so low at the polls.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

EvilJoven posted:

The NDP both provincially and federally are now parties for centrists that don't have capital to protect.

There literally is no party left for leftists to throw their vote at.

It's probably why turnout is so low at the polls.

I don't think there's really enough voters for a true left wing party if there was one. For most people in suburban ridings around 905, 416, the OLP does exactly what they want with just enough of a veneer of socially progressive platitudes that everyone except postmedia and the sun is keen to let them do what they want until whatever scandals hit them later.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"Job Creators" Horwath ain't every getting my vote again. loving boot this loser already.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MA-Horus posted:

OLP and ONDP have their attack ads written and ready to go

"Remember when The Coward Douglas Ford let your grandma die covered in poo poo drowning in her lungs? We do."

You wish, that's way too accurate and thus rude for them to say, gotta keep :decorum:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

This is pretty loving pathetic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/30/canada-minister-bicycle-video-steven-guilbeault

Guy had a bicycle hanging on a bike rack in his room in the background during a video call, and

quote:

A conservative Canadian MP has accused the country’s environment minister of breaching parliamentary protocol after his bicycle appeared on screen during a hybrid session of parliament.

Conservative MP Ed Fast said minister Steven Guilbeault’s purple bicycle, hung on the wall behind him, was a blatant attempt to “make a statement about his environmental cred”.

“Mr Speaker, the point is, there’s a rule that you cannot do indirectly what you cannot do directly. What the minister has done is blatantly use a prop because he’s now doing it from the safety of some other office,” said Fast.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The cons are such piss babies. Even right leaning centrists I interact with are cringing at that whole thing. "It's just a bike"

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

That really is pathetic. Ed Fast is a dumb clown. Sweet bike though

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
That bike is clearly hanging in his garage, which is kinds of like, where bikes belong?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Part of me feels like it's a cover for when Cons are actually caught with background props.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That bike is offensive to me, unlike other things seen in MP(P)s offices such as alcohol, more alcohol, mugs filling with piss,

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Conservatives really do live in a completely parallel universe, I can't stress this enough. I've had a few discussions with people outside Alberta, where it's like... "yeah, you really don't understand just how far gone some of these people are."

Are they legitimately offended by a bike hanging in the background because they think it's virtue-signaling? Yes, they very much are. It's because they're loving lunatics that project like a loving lighthouse. Their backgrounds are carefully curated to appeal to their dumbfuck base, so they simply assume that a bike is not just a bike. The concept of being genuine is completely foreign to them, and also they hold no truck with foreign things!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hang on, let me jam some liquor bottles underneath my desk. Ok, now I'm ready for the video call.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Conservatives think that since they had to hide their seven copies of Mein Kampf that he should have to hide his bicycle as well.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

There is literally a Singh ready to go, Jagmeet's way cooler brother, wtf is wrong with you people

"Singh ignited controversy days before the 2018 election when a photo of him holding a poster reading "gently caress the Police" in a 2006 Facebook post surfaced. NDP leader Andrea Horwath defended Singh and allowed Singh to remain a member of the NDP, saying "That's a sign that's despicable". "

Nah, he doesn't have it. He apologized for the sign and said he was deeply ashamed of it. A real baller would have been asked about it and responded "Did I stutter? gently caress the police."
Anyway, things have changed a bit since 2018 but did you really still have to be scared of criticizing the police just 3 years ago? The police should be terrified of politicians, not the other way around. I don't think you have to worry much about offending NDP-voting cops seeing as they don't exist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Regarding the Queen of Canada telling her followers to kill healthcare workers, rest assured, the RCMP may have stopped in for a brief chat, which no doubt put the matter to rest.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Regarding the Queen of Canada telling her followers to kill healthcare workers, rest assured, the RCMP may have stopped in for a brief chat, which no doubt put the matter to rest.

quote:

But Didulo’s latest claims have received mixed reactions from her followers. Many questioned how a person they believe is the literal Queen of Canada, who can order military and rescue operations on a whim, could be picked up by RCMP officers and brought for a psychiatric evaluation.

“So she is protected by the galactic alliance and special forces but was arrested by RCMP,’ questioned one. “All I am saying is if I was protected by the military and galactic alliance nobody would be hauling me off to the mental ward.”

“Please God, don’t let this be a psyop,” another lamented. “This doesn’t make sense how easy it was to access her. Where were the alliance and military?”

Honestly though when you have the Galactic Alliance in your pocket do you really even need JTF2 or CSOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
How is 'the psych eval showed that she is sane and competent' not immediately followed by 'and will therefore stand trial for incitement to violence?'