Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lib and let die posted:

I hate that I know the thing you're talking about

Oh, you know it's a treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShVxLXdXO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

for liberal propaganda, Succession is a p good show

just started season 2 and I'm having a blast

I want to be cousin greg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

I was shocked to see how modern some of the dialogue and gestures were; at one point, jack lemmon says that he and his boss "are like that" and does the crossing-the-index-and-middle-finger gesture, which was very surprising to see in a movie from 1960
coulda sworn I've seen this in old looney tunes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://youtu.be/hbh3XBwo9k4

crepeface posted:

saw this great article on why stories always seem to have garbage endings

The Swerve by Nia Frome

I disagree with GoT cause we got hints that blondie would turn from like season three (not to mention all the explicit “targarians go mad it’s in their genes”). once she sold out the slaves (or gladiators? I forget) in Mereen it was over. it wasn’t from trying too hard to do good, it’s cause she didn’t want to piss off the nobility who’d fund her further conquests

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Judakel posted:

uncalled for, but this is what happens when behavior is not punished

Yes, you're still posting and that bad behavior should have been punished a long time ago

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Feldegast42 posted:

Also like most other pop culture, music took a big hit due to 9/11 and never fully recovered
yeah nickelback really hosed up everything for everyone

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fishscale and Rising Down came out after 9/11 so music was doing just fine

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

McCloud posted:

Yes, you're still posting and that bad behavior should have been punished a long time ago

snyder's movies won't be more widely beloved simply because i don't post, snyder freak

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kanye showed up in 2004, which was a nadir for other genres

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

anybody seen any good movies lately?

The Eternals. Kingo is worth the price of admission alone.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Eternals. Kingo is worth the price of admission alone.

are you telling a fib right now

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

indigi posted:

are you telling a fib right now

I saw the Humans last week and it was okay.

And I rewatched A Most Violent Year. I still like it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dunno how many actual good movies i've seen this year. it's possible i had the best time during malignant lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

I saw the Humans last week and it was okay.

And I rewatched A Most Violent Year. I still like it.

the before and after pictures of his head are pretty hilarious. hgh is a hell of a drug

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

I disagree with GoT cause we got hints that blondie would turn from like season three (not to mention all the explicit “targarians go mad it’s in their genes”). once she sold out the slaves (or gladiators? I forget) in Mereen it was over. it wasn’t from trying too hard to do good, it’s cause she didn’t want to piss off the nobility who’d fund her further conquests

i mean if you really want to nitpick like that then it doesnt work for hunger games or watchmen either because the turns in question are foreshadowed theyre just sort of pointless

the reason why this actually everyone is bad kind of twist is so common is because any work that makes an actual clear political statement is immediately labeled as propaganda this is why prestige pop culture inherently trends liberal because their whole gimmick is saying other ideologies are bad without clearly explaining what their own ideology actually is

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the article somehow views dany as having liberating politics in GoT when she was always a monster intent on claiming her birthright, crazy or not

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

indigi posted:

it was foreshadowed because it also was in the books. the ending is probably similar to what GRRM planned in broad plot strokes, but the abrupt turn to "authoritarianism bad. we need a council of elites to rule. of course we're keeping all the lovely exploitation of feudalism, maybe we'll get a liberal democracy one day, hah hah" is probably not how it was meant to play out.

boiling down GoT's bad ending to just dany's madness misses a lot imo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i say swears online posted:

the article somehow views dany as having liberating politics in GoT when she was always a monster intent on claiming her birthright, crazy or not

they made her a girlboss who freed slaves, tried to ban blood sports, helped the poor, etc. she was definitely meant to be viewed sympathetically.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

crepeface posted:

boiling down GoT's bad ending to just dany's madness misses a lot imo

in the context of “trying too hard to do good is bad” Danny’s plot is the only relevant one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

they made her a girlboss who freed slaves, tried to ban blood sports, helped the poor, etc. she was definitely meant to be viewed sympathetically.

iunno maybe it's that I never liked her in the books either

goddamn them laughing at samwell for discussing democracy was an embarrassing scene

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

crepeface posted:

she purchased an army of slaves she then used to conquer places with. I’m sure they meant to portray her sympathetically but she was just a broken clock, occasionally on the right side of a situation through no fault of her own

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do the other two even try to do good at all coins only stated motives are to get breeders for her sterile colony built around a nuke warehouse and to avoid getting genocided by the capital these arent evil motives but she doesnt exactly present herself as the vanguard of the revolution

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

indigi posted:

in the context of “trying too hard to do good is bad” Danny’s plot is the only relevant one

the show's "correct" response to her "extremism" is v. important

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

people projecting good ideological motives on characters and stories that dont actually support those interpretations is definitely a thing but these are all unsubtly cynical narratives i mean sheesh one of the better known got memes is literally if you thought this story was going to have a happy ending you werent paying attention

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

she's a fuckin monarch!!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

she's a fuckin monarch!!

it's a legitimate form of government op

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

iunno maybe it's that I never liked her in the books either

goddamn them laughing at samwell for discussing democracy was an embarrassing scene

if they were gonna commit to realism so much they should've made edwin tully king. he's too much of a fuckup to interfere in the affairs of the nascent warlord states being carved out by the remaining lords paramount

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is a decent summary of dany's characterization and it's turn in the show:

(timestamped)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGr0NRx3TKU&t=2771s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

barristan selmy deserved to die for picking the wrong horse

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think shows having really bad endings is more of a result bizzare processes that studios impose on them in their production, where they want epic plotlines with raising stakes and also the traditional tv ability to bullshit around what the audience likes/performances from actors etc. like when westworld was rewritten because someone on reddit guessed the ending

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i cant entertain the suggestion that lindelof is writing his shows poorly for the cia. hes a retard

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

indigi posted:

she purchased an army of slaves
She didn't though? She killed the slave owner, burned the slave town to the ground and told the army of slaves that they were free to go.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Farm Frenzy posted:

i cant entertain the suggestion that lindelof is writing his shows poorly for the cia. hes a retard

i think it's more that the system of media production means you only get the chance to make a big budget show if you have the liberal brain disease rather than an explicit cia bag stuffed with cash

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

She didn't though? She killed the slave owner, burned the slave town to the ground and told the army of slaves that they were free to go.

she purchased them and took possession of their ingrained psychological bridle before she did the rest of that stuff

offering them the “choice” of freedom was meaningless

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

crepeface posted:

i think it's more that the system of media production means you only get the chance to make a big budget show if you have the liberal brain disease rather than an explicit cia bag stuffed with cash

sure wahtever but no amount of correct ideology would've made the endings of GOT or hbo watchmen good. lindelof struggles to express any themes at all let alone lib ones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the main problem with the end of GoT is that they didn’t kill off enough characters prior to the final season and were too beholden to giving everyone a moment or send off. a bunch of those characters’ plotlines had reached a natural ending point (or they had just become boring) but they had to keep treading water to keep Jamie or Theon or Sansa around another season or two

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All those words about Led Zeppelin's cultural appropriation and not a single post about The Rolling Stones, who were basically the Boomer version of Amos n' Andy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
History will not be kind to the Stones

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m sure they’re real torn up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh right i wanted to get this in while zep chat was still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAh6lCEJznE&t=3778s