Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Spice is very cool,
It helps me do a jihad,
Oops I'm a Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Weird that it spends so much time on this Paul guy. I hope we get to see more of Duncan in Dunc part 2.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I actually kind of hope part 2 is about Chani the way part 1 is about Paul.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope part 2 is Carl Drogo speaking space Mongolian and fighting Bautista for 3 hours

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That won't happen until DUN3, where we get to have some fun with cloning and Paul's super horny sister

Incidentally, anyone here think that Alia will be a good way to do some more worldbuilding and exposition for part 2?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

Incidentally, anyone here think that Alia will be a good way to do some more worldbuilding and exposition for part 2?

Getting an actor that can perform that character seems like a casting nightmare. Imagine putting out a casting call for a five year old with the gravitas of generations of genetic memory. And for obvious reasons, you can't start now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Aqua man is gone, you guys. That’s why he wants Dennis the Menace to drop a 6-hour cut with all of his extra scenes.

deoju posted:

Getting an actor that can perform that character seems like a casting nightmare. Imagine putting out a casting call for a five year old with the gravitas of generations of genetic memory. And for obvious reasons, you can't start now.

I come bearing a message from Maud’dib!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm kind of surprised they didn't swap Duncan and Gurney's roles; Duncan seemed to have become a fan favourite considering he got brought back in the book's sequels

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

2house2fly posted:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't swap Duncan and Gurney's roles; Duncan seemed to have become a fan favourite considering he got brought back in the book's sequels

I feel like there's a good case in every adaptation so far for merging the two characters together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I still cannot loving believe how good Thufir is in this version btw. Like just god-tier casting/performance for such little screen time. Freddie Jones in the Lynch movie is awesome and his more harried take on the character is great but I'm hoping in Villeneuve's part 2 we do get to see Thufir back and still being this calm/almost jovial personality while serving the Baron/trying to gently caress with him and Feyd behind the scenes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I still cannot loving believe how good Thufir is in this version btw. Like just god-tier casting/performance for such little screen time. Freddie Jones in the Lynch movie is awesome and his more harried take on the character is great but I'm hoping in Villeneuve's part 2 we do get to see Thufir back and still being this calm/almost jovial personality while serving the Baron/trying to gently caress with him and Feyd behind the scenes.

I love how much fun he seems to be having with all his spy shenanigans. Dude just loves what he does.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Neo Rasa posted:

https://letterboxd.com/demiadejuyigbe/film/dune-2021/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how much fun he seems to be having with all his spy shenanigans. Dude just loves what he does.

Yeah like, they're trained to be living computers but they're still human so of course he fuckin' loves this poo poo, I really liked that. And it more effectively imo differentiates his role from Gurney and Duncan and makes his purpose more apparent, something I think the Lynch version really flubs.

Probably the most accurate review of the movie for me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Martman posted:

Spice is very cool,
It helps me do a jihad,
Oops I'm a Hitler

This thread is great

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

God created low budget movie covers that shamelessly rip off Dune to train the faithful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

2house2fly posted:

i'm rereading the book right now and i just wanna see Gurney strum that balliset, at least the Patrick Stewart version is carrying it around in a couple scenes.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm rereading the book right now and i just wanna see Gurney strum that balliset, at least the Patrick Stewart version is carrying it around in a couple scenes.

At least it's there in this one, propped up next to Gurney's bunk when he's informed of the invasion

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They were cowards and deleted the bit where he actually plays it originally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBSvNtlAq8

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lol I love that it's just a Chapman Stick, it would be some prog nerd poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HBO removing Dune before thanksgiving weekend was lame. I wanted to get one more rewatch in this weekend.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

God created low budget movie covers that shamelessly rip off Dune to train the faithful.

Isn’t Sean Young in Planet Dune even?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I regret to inform you all that Planet Dune is more like a Tremors movie in space. But nowhere near as good as that sounds.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AlternateAccount posted:

Isn’t Sean Young in Planet Dune even?

Based on the trailer, it appears she showed up on set and was presumably paid money. More than that I can’t vouch for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVZ-2WuJo4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I regret to inform you all that Planet Dune is more like a Tremors movie in space. But nowhere near as good as that sounds.

Wait til you see how distant Dune Warriors gets (also it stars David Carradine)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ruddiger posted:

HBO removing Dune before thanksgiving weekend was lame. I wanted to get one more rewatch in this weekend.

I'm tempted to :filez: it until I can pick it up in physical form

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The good news is its coming back to IMAX this week.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It was always only going to be on the service for a month. :shrug:

Gonna get that BD the moment it drops, though!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol I love that it's just a Chapman Stick, it would be some prog nerd poo poo.

The wheel thing in the body also made me think of a Hurly Gurly. Hurly Gurly. Gurney. I hope that was a little joke by the prop team.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's called a hurdy gurdy but your point still stands.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vincent posted:

The wheel thing in the body also made me think of a Hurly Gurly. Hurly Gurly. Gurney. I hope that was a little joke by the prop team.

Do you mean a hurdy gurdy?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMq27uygsY

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Also if you can't get enough of the song at the end you're in luck cause there is a full length version. RE: the dune bad lip reading video above

https://youtu.be/mXfSg7mLEdU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Famethrowa posted:

Dune is many wonderful things that I enjoy but "well-written" is not one of them. Herbert wrote like the engineer he was, and it's a miracle it's readable.
We have the non-Frank Herbert novels to thank for making the originals look well written in comparison

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think one of my favorite stupid ability exaggerating sentences in those prequel books is when someone is in Jessica's way and the books says "She could disembowel him with a well-placed toe kick." Like, what?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bene Gesserits never clip their toe nails.

They're like loving pumas down there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember something about the Honored Matres basing their version of the Weirding Way around kicks, they were just crushing people to death with kicks like kangaroos.

It seems like one of those things where the author gets a yellow belt in some martial art and decides that it's magic.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i watched the movie this weekend

if "you can't survive two hours in the desert without a stillsuit," why is no one ever hot or thirsty or in a rush to get into a stillsuit?

why did they drop the lush oasis room for some dumb date palms?

yue's betrayal sucks because we never get to know him or his commitment to the family, so there's nothing to betray

let me get this right -- we're on a giant military air-base and some staff nurse snipes three guys and no one else is on alert anywhere on this entire base? Invasion time because every single human is asleep. No one on duty anywhere? Yeah, okay.

chalame mumbles a loving lot

oh joy, a vision of chiani for the 25th time

i don't know how much real-life time passed between the filming of the scenes or what kind of catering they had, but momoa gained weight and has a loving double chin by the time he's thankfully put down like a dog

i have more thoughts, but that's enough for now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got Arrakis Olives at Costco last night.

Gonna eat ‘em all and undergo the Olive Agony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Freedom Trails posted:

i have more thoughts, but that's enough for now.

phew