Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I remember that Griffin called it out during the last pledge drive (didn't actually say "parasocial"), but that may have been a reference to MaxFun as a whole, which has DEFINITELY cultivated those emotions in its followers donors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I will never not find the Rachel Rosing (game recognize game) saga funny

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I will never not find the Rachel Rosing (game recognize game) saga funny

Quick summary for us in the cheap seats?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Armitag3 posted:

Quick summary for us in the cheap seats?

I think she picked a side in the Smerlemageddon.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"I'm sorry I used up the entire second half of the show with Munch Squad" - Justin McElroy, lying

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What's that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
A prominent, semiofficial FB fan page for Still Buffering was the site of a pretty high-pressure push for SB to do an episode on white privilege. The Smirls' mom was a poster and moderator on the FB page and nuked the discussion. Rosing was one of a number of "big-name fans" who split with the McElroys over this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And Still Buffering is still buffering to this very day

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I haven't seen the actual Facebook posts, but I've been told the fans there kept bringing it up and angrily insisted it was an important topic to cover. I believe Sydnee and Rileigh tried to mediate, saying they didn't feel like they knew enough on the topic to do it justice. Their mom apparently got real angry at just the idea of doing it and started deleting posts about it and possibly threatening to ban people over it. This escalated until the brothers announced they would no longer interact with the Facebook pages at all and pulled out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Facebook groups were the absolute worst.

Sydnee saying their show about being a teen probably wasn't the best venue for that particular issue and that they didn't have the qualification to do it justice was completely reasonable, and a ton of people were like "No. If you don't do this episode you are a racist." McElroy content has been better ever since they divested themselves from their most toxic fans.

I remember one episode where they had some bit about a dick sock puppet or something, then I opened Facebook and some moron had posted a picture of his dick in a sock puppet on the MBMBaM group. Hundreds of replies being him to delete it and asking what the hell was his problem, and him replying "No, the McElroy Brothers would love this. I'll delete it only if they ask me to." That's when I unfollowed any MBMBaM related group.

Generally the less their content has to do with their fans, the better it is, and they've realized that fortunately.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I thought she had a semi-public falling out with them because Sydnee used the phrase “healthy body weight”, which was deemed to be fatshaming by portions of the community

although having it be Smerlemageddon-related would be funny too

God, I think my ex stopped listening to SB over the Smerlemageddon, I remember her defending the Facebook poo poo at the time. As a person of color I’d much rather they do no episode at all than be press-ganged into doing a bad one.

Cyberbullying a high schooler in WV into doing an episode of her puberty podcast on white privilege is the most “tiresome white lady” poo poo I can imagine. Literal Lindsay Bluth poo poo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Glass shark

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Generally the less their content has to do with their fans, the better it is, and they've realized that fortunately.
Yeah, and it’s something they’ve had to learn repeatedly over the years, like how they had to keep tinkering with how they took questions at live shows because it kept being such a cringe-fest.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They decided Glass Shark was a racial thing right? An impersonation of a black man? Despite the fact it sounded like no accent known to humanity. An attempt at Cajun to be sure, but like, a Gambit or Joe Dirt-esque "Home is where you make it" one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
what. lmao

I had no idea about that, that’s loving hilarious

McElroy+BDG Love Zone: ITT glass shark is a slur

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gambit is cancelled, but not for the many reasons you'd think

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is it the trenchcoat?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we found tapes of his time as one of the horsemen of the apokolypse

no it wasn't for doing that, he said some hosed up stuff about gay people though, completely unrelated to the job.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I remember one episode where they had some bit about a dick sock puppet or something, then I opened Facebook and some moron had posted a picture of his dick in a sock puppet on the MBMBaM group. Hundreds of replies being him to delete it and asking what the hell was his problem, and him replying "No, the McElroy Brothers would love this. I'll delete it only if they ask me to." That's when I unfollowed any MBMBaM related group.

"I will not take this content down until the McElory's acknowledge my cock" is a pretty bold move.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Imagine engaging with strangers on the internet solely because of a shared fandom in a podcast, yuck.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

C-Euro posted:

Imagine engaging with strangers on the internet solely because of a shared fandom in a podcast, yuck.

lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bean dad nonsense still makes me sad because it took out one podcast and it was the one I cared about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Bean dad nonsense still makes me sad because it took out one podcast and it was the one I cared about.

Roderick earned his fate just for his self-published book of tweets and his ongoing attempts to promote an album released in 2006

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if he ever gets out of purgatory for time served. Mediocre musician/dumb tweeter, but good podcast host and I miss Friendly Fire

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Lmao

Thanks, Youtube algorithm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUfiPOlneNI

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Source

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I wonder if he ever gets out of purgatory for time served. Mediocre musician/dumb tweeter, but good podcast host and I miss Friendly Fire

I mean not everyone needs to be famous, he can do what ever he wants, canceling isn't real.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, I really doubt Maxfun will ever give him another show because of all those old racist tweets. But I'm pretty sure there's plenty of podcast producers who wouldn't give a poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean not everyone needs to be famous, he can do what ever he wants, canceling isn't real.

It absolutely is real, but can only happen to people who actually feel remorse and regret. Sociopaths and right wingers are immune and will just keep trucking

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, it's why they cut up all of Roderick's credit cards and he won't be able to enter a house of worship for at least another five years.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1466105196044562439?t=ioWbaHaJLieQmkVGv-c7QA&s=19

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

Glass shark

He love de fat kid.

Shinjobi posted:

Gambit is cancelled, but not for the many reasons you'd think

It not you. It Gambit.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I was briefly a member of the Still Buffering group but left prior to Smirlgate. The thing that broke me was that there was an episode where Sydnee talked about how she likes to wear cardigans, and some gal in the group posted a picture of herself wearing a sad caption and said “I realized while getting dressed this morning that I’m SUCH a Sydnee, lol!”

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

They decided Glass Shark was a racial thing right? An impersonation of a black man? Despite the fact it sounded like no accent known to humanity. An attempt at Cajun to be sure, but like, a Gambit or Joe Dirt-esque "Home is where you make it" one.

I once used the word Y'all in a tweet and some white lady from Oregon chided me because according to her Y'all was exclusive to AAVE.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

I once used the word Y'all in a tweet and some white lady from Oregon chided me because according to her Y'all was exclusive to AAVE.

Lol Oregon doesn’t even have an adjacent claim to y’all either way. gently caress outta here with that. I use y’all probably to an excessive degree in my everyday life and that will never change.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have always associated yall with growing up in the south, but if more people wanna talk dumb like me I will not stop them.

I aint about them predilections, I reckon.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I don't think people should use y'all unless they are prepared to use y'all'd've. And especially not Chris Plante, the most northwestern man alive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That's fair

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just use vosotros like a normal person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I only use vosotros when I am about to kick your rear end, face, and balls into outer space